Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging a shelf in drywall

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 1:55:11 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 10:50:09 -0700 (PDT), John G
wrote:

You now need to have a scanner to find a stud in the wall: http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Wall-Scanner

At the cost of $399.99 -- sorry I'll pass on that idea. I'd expect
you need to find a lot of stubs for that cost.

Pencil, measuring tape and a nail work very well for a DIY shelf
install. Just sayin'.

I have two electronic stud finders I've had for years and they work great. Like any other tool you must understand the limitations and how to interpret the results. Both are from Zircon, the original manufacturer and one is a much smaller one that has a pocket clip. Newer stud finders can detect live Romex inside a wall and may have other features. Back when I did a lot of house wiring I used several items to help me get the job done. Not only did I use my Zircon stud finder, I had a pocket sized AM/FM radio I would set to AM, tune it to a relatively quiet channel, slide it across the wall and listen for the AC hum coming from the live wiring in the wall. My tone finder probe for telecom and data cable tracing works very well for finding wiring behind drywall. If the wiring is new and not energized, I'd hook the tone generator up to one end of the wire and the tone finder would detect the tone through the drywall from whatever type wiring I was trying to find. The tone finder can also detect the AC hum from live wires. Another item good to have when doing electrical wiring is a shirt pocket sized live wire detector that lights up and may also beep when touched to an energized wire. Of course with all the smart phones out there it wouldn't surprise me if there's an app for that. (¬¬)

http://www.zircon.com/

http://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

https://tinyurl.com/okurkj5

https://tinyurl.com/nax564y

[8~{} Uncle Stud Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My point being there are solutions less expensive than $400.

One detector I've seen would / will find studs, electric wire and
metal nail plates in an area on the wall.

Sometimes, I believe, simple is better and less expensive for DIY.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

also detect the AC hum from live wires. Another item good to have when doing electrical wiring is a shirt pocket sized live wire detector that lights up and may also beep when touched to an energized wire. Of course with all the smart phones out there it wouldn't surprise me if there's an app for that. (Č?Č)

http://www.zircon.com/

http://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

https://tinyurl.com/okurkj5

https://tinyurl.com/nax564y

[8~{} Uncle Stud Monster

My point being there are solutions less expensive than $400.

One detector I've seen would / will find studs, electric wire and
metal nail plates in an area on the wall.

Sometimes, I believe, simple is better and less expensive for DIY.

With modern homes having more electrical circuits, a DIY homeowner must be more careful about drilling holes in walls. Even a high quality Zircon mulifunction stud finder isn't that expensive and enhances safety. I think you can rent one of those expensive wall scanners and do something I've done when I had a lot of work to do on a wall at different times. I'd make notes about measurements of what I found on a drawing after scanning a wall. The last time I was doing work on walls, I would take a digital picture of the wall, upload it to my computer, fire up the Paint program and using my notes put annotations on the picture so I could print it out and have it with me when I had to go back to do something else. Since most homeowners have a computer these days and many are skilled at DIY and using a computer, it would be a good idea for them to use their digital camera to take pictures of their walls and take notes while they're documenting what they own for insurance purposes. Back when I was working as contractor for a national service company, I had to take pictures of the work, upload them along with scans of the work order and a description of what was done. I stored all this information on my computer so I'd have it if and when I had to go back. A home owner should keep a maintenance, repair and project log on their computer along with pictures and scans of paperwork so they can refer back to it at any time. I've gone to someone's home before to fix something for them and they had no idea of what previous work had been done. They didn't even have a file cabinet. (-ლ)

[8~{} Uncle Scan Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

Hey unc could you limit your sentence length to like 100 characters or so?

This has really gotten off track IMO. This is records archival. I've seen
pixs of houses under construction taken by owners and ask then what room it
is, No idea. If they know the room they won't know the wall. Soon the pixs
get buried under the normal magma. Video is good for insurance & crime scene
people. Make sure to open the drawers to expose your doilie collection.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 2:53:31 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

WTF are you referring to? When I take pictures or mention taking pictures, I'm not writing about the last century, I use a digital camera and I'd recommend that a homeowner do the same thing but save the pictures and scans of their documents online in case of fire or theft. (_)

[8~{} Uncle Digital Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Cool your jets Mon, I was thinking of older houses where work is being done..
Not the modern McShacks. If they lose their computer in a fire, what then? I
think it is a good idea what you are doing, at least for yourself.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 2:21:13 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

Hanging drywall - alone Eigenvector Home Repair 20 August 18th 17 10:11 PM
Long hanging rail and shelf Andrew May UK diy 6 March 17th 12 06:48 PM
Hanging drywall stryped[_3_] Metalworking 5 October 27th 09 08:26 PM
Hanging in Drywall Senin Home Repair 7 June 17th 08 04:43 PM
Hanging a Shelf Mantel Zimmer Woodworking 4 March 26th 08 12:53 AM