Posted to alt.home.repair
ted ted is offline

Default dry time for concrete footing

We are pouring 3 ft concrete footings 2 feet deep so 3'x3'x2'deep footings

I was wondering the dry time would be approximately before we can put load bearing posts on the footing

This is for opening a load bearing wall to the kitchen

any ideas as to when the footings should have aout 3000psi strength?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 12:52:42 -0700 (PDT), ted
wrote:

We are pouring 3 ft concrete footings 2 feet deep so 3'x3'x2'deep footings

I was wondering the dry time would be approximately before we can put load bearing posts on the footing

This is for opening a load bearing wall to the kitchen

any ideas as to when the footings should have aout 3000psi strength?

I have no clue as to the time for a load bearing wall. Here in the
desert, a footer is given a week or ten days before a 6' CBS (block)
wall is being built. Those footers a tad smaller.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2015 3:52 PM, ted wrote:
We are pouring 3 ft concrete footings 2 feet deep so 3'x3'x2'deep footings

I was wondering the dry time would be approximately before we can put load bearing posts on the footing

This is for opening a load bearing wall to the kitchen

any ideas as to when the footings should have aout 3000psi strength?

Depends on what grade of concrete you used but a good rule of thumb is to keep it wet for 7 days before loading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2015 3:52 PM, ted wrote:
We are pouring 3 ft concrete footings 2 feet deep so 3'x3'x2'deep footings

I was wondering the dry time would be approximately before we can put load bearing posts on the footing

This is for opening a load bearing wall to the kitchen

any ideas as to when the footings should have aout 3000psi strength?

Minimum is usually 7 days to get most of its strength, 28 days is
considered fully cured even though it will cure for much longer. Keep
it wet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 7 Aug 2015 22:55:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 8/7/2015 3:52 PM, ted wrote:
We are pouring 3 ft concrete footings 2 feet deep so 3'x3'x2'deep footings

I was wondering the dry time would be approximately before we can put load bearing posts on the footing

This is for opening a load bearing wall to the kitchen

any ideas as to when the footings should have aout 3000psi strength?

Minimum is usually 7 days to get most of its strength, 28 days is
considered fully cured even though it will cure for much longer. Keep
it wet.

In 1970 when I was at the Panama Canal, which was built before 1910,
they told me the locks were still curing and still getting harder, but
they was already hard enough that when ships hit it, the ship got
dented. They were kept wet up to the water level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

best to ask the local building inspector. ultimately he must sign off on your project
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 02:10:37 -0400, micky
wrote:

In 1970 when I was at the Panama Canal, which was built before 1910,
they told me the locks were still curing and still getting harder, but
they was already hard enough that when ships hit it, the ship got
dented. They were kept wet up to the water level.

Seems I recall it would have taken ~700 years for the (Boulder) Hoover
Dam to cure. They used pipes to circulate water through that reduced
the curing time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ted posted for all of us...

Answers in-line

We are pouring 3 ft concrete footings 2 feet deep so 3'x3'x2'deep footings

Why so wide and not very deep? Did you get a plan for this? Any rebar? 18 cu
feet will = .67 cu yd. Means hand mixing. Ready mix trucks usually have a
minimum so you have any more to pour?

I was wondering the dry time would be approximately before we can put load bearing posts on the footing

7 days and make sure to cure it properly.

This is for opening a load bearing wall to the kitchen

Ok, you got permits?

any ideas as to when the footings should have aout 3000psi strength?

28 days

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In 1970 when I was at the Panama Canal, which was built before 1910,
they told me the locks were still curing and still getting harder, but
they was already hard enough that when ships hit it, the ship got
dented. They were kept wet up to the water level.

Seems I recall it would have taken ~700 years for the (Boulder) Hoover
Dam to cure. They used pipes to circulate water through that reduced
the curing time.

the pipeses carried water to cool the dam so the concrete would be stronger
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In 1970 when I was at the Panama Canal, which was built before 1910,
they told me the locks were still curing and still getting harder, but
they was already hard enough that when ships hit it, the ship got
dented. They were kept wet up to the water level.

Seems I recall it would have taken ~700 years for the (Boulder) Hoover
Dam to cure. They used pipes to circulate water through that reduced
the curing time.

the pipeses carried water to cool the dam so the concrete would be stronger

reduced curing time = stronger Get it?

The dam was stronger faster, do you think the dam is fully cured, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In 1970 when I was at the Panama Canal, which was built before 1910,
they told me the locks were still curing and still getting harder, but
they was already hard enough that when ships hit it, the ship got
dented. They were kept wet up to the water level.

Seems I recall it would have taken ~700 years for the (Boulder) Hoover
Dam to cure. They used pipes to circulate water through that reduced
the curing time.

the pipeses carried water to cool the dam so the concrete would be stronger

reduced curing time = stronger Get it?

The dam was stronger faster, do you think the dam is fully cured, eh?

actually no, slower cooling time greater strength. the hoover dam is still not fully cured

the temperature of the dam if not cooled, would of been of very low strength