Posted to alt.home.repair
byron

Default Using a tire rim to pull out a concrete footing

Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:19:06 GMT, "byron" wrote:

Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

I never tried it, but heard it works.
Be sure your ball hitch and your bumper are secure.
I hooked a chain to my old pickup to pull my car out of the mud and
the whole hitch and bumper came off my truck. Needless to say, I was
****ed !!!
Lots of welding and everything is back in place, but I wont try that
stunt again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"byron" wrote in message
. ..

Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

It'd be better to use the entire wheel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PanHandler wrote:
"byron" wrote in message
. ..

Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

It'd be better to use the entire wheel.

No, the chain won't stay on the wheel as easilly as it'll stay on the rim
alone.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Never heard of it. Do you have a link?

"byron" wrote in message
. ..

Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

wrote in message
PanHandler wrote:
"byron" wrote in message
. ..

Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch
on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

It'd be better to use the entire wheel.

No, the chain won't stay on the wheel as easily as it'll stay on the rim
alone.

The rim is only the outer part of the wheel welded (sometimes bolted)
assembly. A tire mounts on the RIM, and the assembly bolts to the axle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"byron" wrote in message
. ..

Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

Footings where I live are 10 to 30 inches deep. Back hoe country.

The wheel trick does work with a large diameter wheel and pulling steel
fence posts.

Biggest trick is a large enough, strong enough wheel. And ground where the
wheel does not sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair
blank@blank.___

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:12:02 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Never heard of it. Do you have a link?

His chain has all kinds of links. Which one do you want to look at?
He might send you a picture of that link.....

"byron" wrote in message

Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

byron wrote:
Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

Getting footings out without a backhoe is hard work. I've tried
pulling out fence posts with a car and a toe rope - not much use. They
were only 450mm (18") deep. I tried a few ideas like using a new fence
post as a lever - toed by the car to pull out the old one. Nothing
worked as well as jumping on the end of a 10' steel bar to lever them
out of the ground - except of course for a backhoe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would guess that you would require more traction than your truck can
provide. I tried something similar except using posts instead of a
wheel. I just spun my car wheels on the ground and didn't get
anywhere.

I think it depends a lot on how hard the ground is too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

The next time you have to remove one, do this:
1) Take a section of 1/4" or 5/16" by (about) 18" long chain.
2) Wrap the chain around the post tightly.
3) Bolt the ends of the chain together (you may need washers on the bolt)
4) Lay a 4 x 4 on the ground about 6" away from the post.
5) Put the tip of the bar under the chain.
Then push down on the end of the bar.

wrote in message
ups.com...

byron wrote:
Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch

on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

Getting footings out without a backhoe is hard work. I've tried
pulling out fence posts with a car and a toe rope - not much use. They
were only 450mm (18") deep. I tried a few ideas like using a new fence
post as a lever - toed by the car to pull out the old one. Nothing
worked as well as jumping on the end of a 10' steel bar to lever them
out of the ground - except of course for a backhoe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sook the hell out of the ground first. Should just pop right out.
I've done this with small stumps plenty of times.

OT - Rotations of a low tire? Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 57 August 25th 05 04:27 AM
Concrete footing or not? Java Woodworking 7 April 6th 05 04:57 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Acid vs. concrete. Cafe1 Home Repair 17 May 13th 04 02:39 AM
re-use old concrete as an aggregate ? PoP UK diy 5 September 2nd 03 12:06 PM