Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Using a tire rim to pull out a concrete footing

The next time you have to remove one, do this:
1) Take a section of 1/4" or 5/16" by (about) 18" long chain.
2) Wrap the chain around the post tightly.
3) Bolt the ends of the chain together (you may need washers on the bolt)
4) Lay a 4 x 4 on the ground about 6" away from the post.
5) Put the tip of the bar under the chain.
Then push down on the end of the bar.

wrote in message
ups.com...

byron wrote:
Has anyone ever done this? And did you attach a chain to a ball hitch

on
your truck? Or is this more trouble than it's worth.

Getting footings out without a backhoe is hard work. I've tried
pulling out fence posts with a car and a toe rope - not much use. They
were only 450mm (18") deep. I tried a few ideas like using a new fence
post as a lever - toed by the car to pull out the old one. Nothing
worked as well as jumping on the end of a 10' steel bar to lever them
out of the ground - except of course for a backhoe.