Jeff Wisnia

Default OT - Rotations of a low tire?

The "NPR "Car Talk" show's "Puzzler" a couple of weeks ago gave an
answer stating that some car's computer "knew" a front tire was low on
air because the ABS system noted that wheel was rotating "a heck of a
lot faster" than the other wheels when the car was driven.

I didn't buy that one.

Sure, the rolling radius of a low tire is less than that of a fully
inflated one, but the overall circumference, particularly on a steel
belted tire, remains the same. Barring slippage, that circumference must
lay its whole length on the road once per revolution, just like the
circumference of a full tire does.

From my TSD rallying days I remember that low tire pressures made some
slight differences in odometer measurements, but these were in the
second decimal place, hardly "a heck of a lot".

Am I missing something here? What do the great minds on rcm think about
this one?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Chuck Sherwood

The "NPR "Car Talk" show's "Puzzler" a couple of weeks ago gave an
answer stating that some car's computer "knew" a front tire was low on
air because the ABS system noted that wheel was rotating "a heck of a
lot faster" than the other wheels when the car was driven.

I don't buy it either. I know a GM mechanic and he states there are
sensors in the wheel that transmit tire pressure to the computer.
His bitch is that it complicates simple things like rotating
tires because now he has to connect the scan tool and tell the
computer how he rotated the tires.

cs
Tim Shoppa

"a heck of a lot faster"

This is indeed the "indirect" tire pressure rotation system. You're
right, it actually requires that the pressure be so low that the
outermost belts are sort-of buckled in, but this is what happens if you
are 5 or more PSI down on a big vehicle.

I think SUV's are soon (already?) required to have a "direct" method
(after the tire fiasco of a few years ago), an actual pressure sensor.

Tim.

Jerry Martes

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

The "NPR "Car Talk" show's "Puzzler" a couple of weeks ago gave an answer
stating that some car's computer "knew" a front tire was low on air
because the ABS system noted that wheel was rotating "a heck of a lot
faster" than the other wheels when the car was driven.

I didn't buy that one.

Sure, the rolling radius of a low tire is less than that of a fully
inflated one, but the overall circumference, particularly on a steel
belted tire, remains the same. Barring slippage, that circumference must
lay its whole length on the road once per revolution, just like the
circumference of a full tire does.

From my TSD rallying days I remember that low tire pressures made some
slight differences in odometer measurements, but these were in the second
decimal place, hardly "a heck of a lot".

Am I missing something here? What do the great minds on rcm think about
this one?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

Jeff

I wonder if it would be legit to consider the distance from the axel
center to the pavement becomes smaller when the tire is underinflated. The
tire is free to flex and scrub as it wishes. The important parameter would
be the "rolling radius", wouldnt it??
The picture gets pretty clear if you'd allow the underinflated tire to get
thrown off. Then it would really have to turn alot faster to keep up with
the other wheel with the good tire.

Jerry

Pete Keillor

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:09:28 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...

The "NPR "Car Talk" show's "Puzzler" a couple of weeks ago gave an
answer stating that some car's computer "knew" a front tire was low on
air because the ABS system noted that wheel was rotating "a heck of a
lot faster" than the other wheels when the car was driven.

I didn't buy that one.

Sure, the rolling radius of a low tire is less than that of a fully
inflated one, but the overall circumference, particularly on a steel
belted tire, remains the same. Barring slippage, that circumference must
lay its whole length on the road once per revolution, just like the
circumference of a full tire does.

But if the circumference remains constant as the rolling
radius decreases there has to be slippage. Underinflated
tires run hot, and some of that heat surely comes from
excess flexing of the tire, but I imagine a large
proportion is a result of the rubber scrubbing against the
pavement.

"a heck of a lot faster" may be exaggeration, unless the
tire is seriously under inflated, but I'm sure the effect
is measurable under controlled conditions even with small
changes in pressure. I guess the question is how sensitive
can the system really be without causing nuisance alarms?

Ned Simmons

Picture a spoked wheel with string instead of spokes, and the strings
1/2" too long. Just because the axle is closer to the road doesn't
mean the tire is slipping, or that the tire's radius has actually
changed. The heat is probably almost exclusively from the flexing,
primarily in the sidewall.

Pete Keillor
Jeff Wisnia

Pete Keillor wrote:

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:09:28 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I like the free wheel with rubber band spokes. When you shine a strong
beam of light onto the spokes on just one side of the wheel it heats
them up, they shrink, the wheel goes out of balance, and it rotates,
continuing to turn as long as the light is on.

"They Shrink when heated?", you ask.

Yep. I thought I knew about lots of things but I lived over 60 years
before I learned that about rubber. It is composed of funny molecules
that do the opposite of what I'd come to think of as normal, like
shrinking when heated.

If you've never tried this one it might suprise you.

Stretch a rubber band between your hands, hold it stretched for a few
seconds to let it come to near room temperature and then touch your
upper lip to the center of the band and bring your hands together quickly.

Feel it get colder?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Pete Keillor

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:37:52 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:09:28 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Yup, learned that in P-chem about 33 years ago. Weird.

Pete Keillor
Andy Asberry

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:52:04 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

The "NPR "Car Talk" show's "Puzzler" a couple of weeks ago gave an
answer stating that some car's computer "knew" a front tire was low on
air because the ABS system noted that wheel was rotating "a heck of a
lot faster" than the other wheels when the car was driven.

I didn't buy that one.

Sure, the rolling radius of a low tire is less than that of a fully
inflated one, but the overall circumference, particularly on a steel
belted tire, remains the same. Barring slippage, that circumference must
lay its whole length on the road once per revolution, just like the
circumference of a full tire does.

From my TSD rallying days I remember that low tire pressures made some
slight differences in odometer measurements, but these were in the
second decimal place, hardly "a heck of a lot".

Am I missing something here? What do the great minds on rcm think about
this one?

Jeff

First, you have to realize that you can't pressurize a tire enough to
not have some deflection when weight is placed on it. Even solid
rubber forklift tires compress in the contact area.

Here is the data from a popular sized truck tire; overall diameter
40.84", loaded radius 19.20"; revolutions per mile 509; max inflation
110 psi.

Before belted tires, not just steel belted radials, but any belted
tires, the tread of bias tires created a tread wave in front of the
contact patch. And sometimes continued into the contact patch,
depending on speed. This was caused by the arched tread having to
assume the nearly flat profile of the road surface. The wave was
simply tread rubber waiting to be compressed as it went through the
weight bearing area. All this flexing heated up the sidewalls of the
tire and the scuffing of the tread as the compressed rubber exited the
compressed area caused the bias tires to not last long.

ABS brakes and indirect pressure monitoring systems have made it hard
for hotrodders to put different size tires on the front and rear.

There is more to come as our government tries to protect us as we get
dumber, read lazier. All 2007 model year vehicles under 10,000 GVW
will have direct pressure monitoring. (The public will feel they are
absolved of maintaining their tire pressure)

Each tire will have a pressure sensor mounted in the tire. Most are
attached via the valve stem. Price? Between $175 and $300 each.
Bumping a curb and breaking that non-replacable valve is going to be
very expensive. Some high-end vehicles have them now. Corrosion is
already a problem because of the brass, stainless, aluminum and steel
components of the sensor, stem, core, nut, washer and wheel.

And what do we get for this expense? The law already passed states
that the monitor must alert the driver when a tire is 25% below its
recommended pressure. That in itself is absurd but the monitor has 20
minutes to determine if a tire is low and alert the driver. The law is
pushed by auto makers and monitor peddlers. They want to be relieved
of any responsibility such as the Ford Explorer rollovers. ( As an
aside, the same Firestone tires were used on F150 pickups. Recall a
rash of pickup rollovers? Me neither.)

Let's assume you have just checked the air in your tires at the corner
self-serve-pay-for-air station. You were careful not to damage that
valve, right? As you pull onto the freeway, you hit a piece of glass
that cuts your tire. A cut that will deflate your tire to zero, not
75%, in 5 minutes. But it is 20 minutes before your high priced
monitor comes alive. Another shredded tire, another irate motorist
cursing the #&%* no-account tire. Or maybe, another casualty.

The Rubber Manufacturer's Association, several tire companies and many
consumer groups have sued the feds to either require tighter
monitoring (less pressure loss and quicker detection) or scrap the law
until such is available. They feel a false sense of protection is more
dangerous than no protection.

Changes you can expect. Who will check the air in your tires for free
when exposed to the risk of $1200 of damage? Roadside assistance will
no longer repair tires. They will mount your spare. But then who is
responsible for reprogramming the computer to tell it where that spare
is now. And what will it cost to repair the flat tire when simply
taking the core out of the valve can cost $300? I'm guessing $30 to
$50.

For this kind of money, I feel a system could be developed to inflate
the tires while traveling. There could still be a caution light or
whatever. Maybe with suspension height sensors to detect load and air
regulators, proper pressure could be maintained constantly.

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:09:28 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I don't think it's the fact that the axle is closer to the
road that's causing the tire to slip relative to the
pavement. When the tire deforms the radial distance from
the axle to the ground across the length of the contact
patch is not constant. So either the linear velocity or the
angular velocity of the rubber on the road has to vary - in
other words, something's got to give. The sidewall probably
absorbs most of the difference when the tire is properly
inflated, but can only do so much. Keep in mind that
underinflated tires wear more rapidly, which implies at
least some scrubbing.

Your example of a loosely strung wheel with a rigid (I
assume) rim really isn't analogous since the rim only
contacts the road at a point.

or that the tire's radius has actually
changed.

If the axle is closer to the ground, hasn't the effective
radius of the wheel been reduced?

The heat is probably almost exclusively from the flexing,
primarily in the sidewall.

I'm skeptical, especially in a seriously underinflated
tire.

Ned Simmons

Jeff Wisnia

Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:09:28 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I didn't prased my OP post clearly. I know that that part of the ABS and
couputer sytem will report a difference in the revolutions of the wheels
after integrating the revolutions over some time period long enough to
let you make a few consecutive turns in the same direction without
trigering a warning.

What I was incredulous about was the part of the puzzle's answer saying
the tire with low air pressure would be rotating "a heck of a lot faster".

The specific wording of the answer, by Ray, of Bob and Ray's "Car Talk"
show was:

***************

RAY: But when a tire loses air pressure and its diameter gets smaller,
when the car is going down the road, in order for that tire to keep up
with all the others and not get left behind, it has to turn faster. And
your car does have something that is constantly monitoring the speed of
all the wheels and comparing them to one another.

What most modern cars have is ABS-- antilock brakes. And there's a
sensor at every wheel that's reading how fast each of the wheels is
turning. So, if it notes that the right front wheel is going a heck of a
lot faster than the other wheels, it can either assume that you're
making a lot of left hand turns or driving around a circle...or that
your right front tire is going flat.

**************

It sounded to me like Ray somehow tricked himself into thinking that the
increase in rotations per unit distance would be in direct proportion to
the decreased rolling radius, and I don't believe that could be the
case, for the reasons I already stated.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Pete Keillor

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:51:44 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:09:28 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

My example was extreme for the point of illustration. Sure, the
flexing in a radial tire is more complex. However, I've blown enough
tires due to underinflation or overloading (boat trailer, radials) to
have observed fairly intact tread with totally disintegrated sidewalls
each time. These were 6-ply rated, with 50 psi pressure, and seem
much more sensitive to load - inflation conditions than most passenger
car tires.

Here's another extreme example. I've seen rubber treaded caterpillar
tractors in the last few years, like the one on the right he
http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCa...ries/9020.html

Now you've got a tread with no sidewall, so it runs fine. Angular
velocity vs. linear velocity loses its meaning. When a sidewall is
forced to follow a tread trying to run like a track, it flexes more
and more, and at least in my experience, fails. You make a good point
that the tread will flex some. The two are of course one piece, at
least until it all comes unstuck.

I've got to get to bed now, to catch a plane in the morning, and will
be out of touch for a while.

I enjoyed the thought games.

Pete Keillor
carl mciver

> [...]
|
| What most modern cars have is ABS-- antilock brakes. And there's a
| sensor at every wheel that's reading how fast each of the wheels is
| turning. So, if it notes that the right front wheel is going a heck of a
| lot faster than the other wheels, it can either assume that you're
| making a lot of left hand turns or driving around a circle...or that
| your right front tire is going flat.
|
| **************
|
| It sounded to me like Ray somehow tricked himself into thinking that the
| increase in rotations per unit distance would be in direct proportion to
| the decreased rolling radius, and I don't believe that could be the
| case, for the reasons I already stated.
|
| Jeff
|
| --
| Jeffry Wisnia
|
| (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
|
| "Truth exists; only falsehood has to be invented."

If the tire is low, the axle is therefore lower to the ground. That
means the effective radius is shorter. Since the radius is shorter, the
effective circumference must be smaller. Following the progression of basic
geometry, more revolutions are required to move the same distance.
When a tire is low, the contact patch is not necessarily larger, once
you discount the lack of equal pressure in the middle of the contact patch.
The circumference is still the same, it's just not round, so there's a
bubble in the middle of the contact patch. Anyone who has seen a flat (and
mounted) tire sitting for a long time will see it clearly when it's rolled
over. Since the tire's still rolling, that excess slack as it passes
through the patch "humps up," and you will see the sides of the tread worn
more than the middle, since the pressure is so much lower in the middle.
Since a tire with normal pressure has a given diameter, it follows that a
tire with lower pressure will have a slightly smaller diameter, although the
bulk of the movement is taken up by the sidewall's expansion (due to the way
the wires route.) There's obviously a lot of flexing, and you can see the
sidewall flexing and wrinkling in a very low tire being driven slowly. This
kind of flexing in rubber, strung with steel belts, gets really hot and the
rubber starts to break down, even pulverizing itself. At some point, the
flexing becomes so much that the bead wrinkles and breaks. At that time the
tire deflates rather violently and at that point how smart or stupid you are
determines the rest, and who lives and who dies. The stresses on a tire
when it's way low are incredible and I thank God for steel belted radials
every time I have a flat!

Hairy story: I was in a company Astrovan on a freeway in Dallas rush
hour, inches from the zipper barrier, doing ~70 when a dumb bitch in front
of me blew a tire. In the minivan, bolted to the floor, was 1000+ pounds of
scale test weights (500 was too little for the way I liked to calibrate
scales) and lots of tools, so when she slammed on her brakes, I about ****
my pants 'cause traffic was asshole to belly button and FLYING. I stopped
short of her by two feet and was surprised that no one hit me from behind.
As I'm chewing her out for being so phenomenally stupid, I was removing her
spare from the back seat (???) and changing it as fast as I could. I could
barely touch the old rim, it was so damn hot! The sidewall was all but
gone, and when the wheel flipped to the ground in front of me there was a
pile of steaming rubber powder on the ground some four inches high and six
or so inches around. I'm sure some of this was from the sidewall that
ground away when she stomped on the brakes, but I can't see the tire
providing any stopping effort given its condition, so I'm confident most of
it was rubber that crumbled before the tire blew and was trapped inside the
tread by centrifugal force. The tread, of course, was hotter than **** and
intact. About the time I got her tire back on I started to "come down" and
the transportation truck showed up to (more kindly) explain to her how to
brake safely after a blowout. I looked back at the million car traffic jam
and there, a few cars back, were a couple folks exchanging information and
sour looks. The difference between a royal ****up of massive proportions
was merely milliseconds at that speed and it could have all been averted if
that $%^&*! had used her brain instead of her foot. Thinking back on it,
I'm sure my normal scatterbrained self would have just run over her, but for
some reason, at that very moment, I had my head screwed on right. Still get
that intense feeling when I think about it.

Nick Hull

In article ,
Pete Keillor wrote:

My example was extreme for the point of illustration. Sure, the
flexing in a radial tire is more complex. However, I've blown enough
tires due to underinflation or overloading (boat trailer, radials) to
have observed fairly intact tread with totally disintegrated sidewalls
each time. These were 6-ply rated, with 50 psi pressure, and seem
much more sensitive to load - inflation conditions than most passenger
car tires.

6-ply rating means the sidewalls have 2-ply. Is ir any wonder that the
6-ply part lasts longer than the 2-ply part?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

carl mciver

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
| On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:36:12 GMT, Nick Hull
| wrote:
|
| In article ,
| Pete Keillor wrote:
|
| My example was extreme for the point of illustration. Sure, the
| flexing in a radial tire is more complex. However, I've blown enough
| tires due to underinflation or overloading (boat trailer, radials) to
| have observed fairly intact tread with totally disintegrated sidewalls
| each time. These were 6-ply rated, with 50 psi pressure, and seem
| much more sensitive to load - inflation conditions than most passenger
| car tires.
|
| 6-ply rating means the sidewalls have 2-ply. Is ir any wonder that the
| 6-ply part lasts longer than the 2-ply part?
|
| Nope.

The tread bands are wrapped circumferentially and are the best wrapped
part of the tire due to the least amount of flex needed and highest
pressure. When a tire fails the tread is rarely part of it. When tires
explode (car or aircraft tires, even) they blow out sideways, which is why
you see a roll in cage at places that do semi truck tires.

Jim Stewart

carl mciver wrote:
"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
| On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:36:12 GMT, Nick Hull
| wrote:
|
| In article ,
| Pete Keillor wrote:
|
| My example was extreme for the point of illustration. Sure, the
| flexing in a radial tire is more complex. However, I've blown enough
| tires due to underinflation or overloading (boat trailer, radials) to
| have observed fairly intact tread with totally disintegrated sidewalls
| each time. These were 6-ply rated, with 50 psi pressure, and seem
| much more sensitive to load - inflation conditions than most passenger
| car tires.
|
| 6-ply rating means the sidewalls have 2-ply. Is ir any wonder that the
| 6-ply part lasts longer than the 2-ply part?
|
| Nope.

The tread bands are wrapped circumferentially and are the best wrapped
part of the tire due to the least amount of flex needed and highest
pressure. When a tire fails the tread is rarely part of it. When tires
explode (car or aircraft tires, even) they blow out sideways, which is why
you see a roll in cage at places that do semi truck tires.

The cage is to catch the split ring, not
pieces of the tire.

Chuck Sherwood

For this kind of money, I feel a system could be developed to inflate
the tires while traveling.

Hummer has had a central tire inflation system for almost 10 years!
All tires can be inflated or deflated at the push of a button. They
can be inflated as a pair (front/rear) or all together. It also has
alarms for high and low pressure.
Chuck Sherwood

I think SUV's are soon (already?) required to have a "direct" method
(after the tire fiasco of a few years ago), an actual pressure sensor.

This morning on the way to work a car came up beside making all kinds
of funny tire noises. One front tire was almost running on the rim
and the driver was oblivous to it all.

Roger Shoaf

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

The "NPR "Car Talk" show's "Puzzler" a couple of weeks ago gave an
answer stating that some car's computer "knew" a front tire was low on
air because the ABS system noted that wheel was rotating "a heck of a
lot faster" than the other wheels when the car was driven.

I didn't buy that one.

Sure, the rolling radius of a low tire is less than that of a fully
inflated one, but the overall circumference, particularly on a steel
belted tire, remains the same. Barring slippage, that circumference must
lay its whole length on the road once per revolution, just like the
circumference of a full tire does.

From my TSD rallying days I remember that low tire pressures made some
slight differences in odometer measurements, but these were in the
second decimal place, hardly "a heck of a lot".

Am I missing something here? What do the great minds on rcm think about
this one?

I'm not sure if this applies but on the newer Chrysler products they have a
tire pressure monitoring system that works by having a transponder located
in the valve stem. There is a sensor located in the fender.

If you are not familiar with transponders, they are common in several
applications like injectable little pellets for dogs and cats that can be
scanned to help a lost pet.

Newer cars also have them molded into the head of the key. if an
unauthorized duplicate is made or the lock is forced the car will not start.

Perhaps the car in question had a tire pressure monitoring system.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Jeff Wisnia

carl mciver wrote:
> [...]
| making a lot of left hand turns or driving around a circle...or that
| your right front tire is going flat.
|
| **************
|
| It sounded to me like Ray somehow tricked himself into thinking that the
| increase in rotations per unit distance would be in direct proportion to
| the decreased rolling radius, and I don't believe that could be the
| case, for the reasons I already stated.
|
| Jeff
|
| --
| Jeffry Wisnia
|
| (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
|
| "Truth exists; only falsehood has to be invented."

If the tire is low, the axle is therefore lower to the ground. That
means the effective radius is shorter. Since the radius is shorter, the
effective circumference must be smaller. Following the progression of basic
geometry, more revolutions are required to move the same distance.

Now Carl, that explanation is what I had trouble with in the first place.

Imagine if you would that the tire had side to side notches on the tread
like an inside out timing belt and the pavement had mating pitch grooves
on it. (Sort of like the ones which make a warning sound if you start to
wander off the side of the road?)

That would create a "rack and pinion" configuration.

Would you still say that the number of revolutions per mile that tire
makes would vary with the air pressure in it, or as you put it "the
effective radius".

That's where my skepticism to the "Car Talk" answer stemmed from. I
don't doubt that second order effects come into play to make the
rotations per unit distance increase somewhat with lower tire pressure,
but I'm willing to bet that the effect is nowhere near as large as being
fully inversely proportional to the rolling radius, at least not until
the tire jumps right off the rim.

Jeff

snipped

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Andy Asberry

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:45:29 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

carl mciver wrote:
"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

The tread bands are wrapped circumferentially and are the best wrapped
part of the tire due to the least amount of flex needed and highest
pressure. When a tire fails the tread is rarely part of it. When tires
explode (car or aircraft tires, even) they blow out sideways, which is why
you see a roll in cage at places that do semi truck tires.

The cage is to catch the split ring, not
pieces of the tire.

Even tubeless tires (no split ring) are required to be placed in a
cage.
Jim Stewart

wrote:

carl mciver wrote:

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

The tread bands are wrapped circumferentially and are the best wrapped
part of the tire due to the least amount of flex needed and highest
pressure. When a tire fails the tread is rarely part of it. When tires
explode (car or aircraft tires, even) they blow out sideways, which is why
you see a roll in cage at places that do semi truck tires.

The cage is to catch the split ring, not
pieces of the tire.

Even tubeless tires (no split ring) are required to be placed in a
cage.

Perhaps now, but not when I was in the business.
In any case, the discussion is about semi tires
which have a split rim that can do grievious
bodily harm if they pop out and hit you. I've
known of 2 people seriously injured that way,
and nobody injured by flying rubber.

carl mciver

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
| Now Carl, that explanation is what I had trouble with in the first place.
|
| Imagine if you would that the tire had side to side notches on the tread
| like an inside out timing belt and the pavement had mating pitch grooves
| on it. (Sort of like the ones which make a warning sound if you start to
| wander off the side of the road?)
|
| That would create a "rack and pinion" configuration.
|
| Would you still say that the number of revolutions per mile that tire
| makes would vary with the air pressure in it, or as you put it "the
| effective radius".
|
| That's where my skepticism to the "Car Talk" answer stemmed from. I
| don't doubt that second order effects come into play to make the
| rotations per unit distance increase somewhat with lower tire pressure,
| but I'm willing to bet that the effect is nowhere near as large as being
| fully inversely proportional to the rolling radius, at least not until
| the tire jumps right off the rim.
|
| Jeff

Believe me, I have a bit of trouble getting it, even visualizing it, but
there's really no other way to see it. The difference in rotational speed
has to be taken up in the wrinkling in the tread and all the sidewall
flexing, which is why a low tire is a very bad thing, since all that action
creates a lot of heat.

carl mciver

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
SNIP

| Even tubeless tires (no split ring) are required to be placed in a
| cage.
|
| Perhaps now, but not when I was in the business.
| In any case, the discussion is about semi tires
| which have a split rim that can do grievious
| bodily harm if they pop out and hit you. I've
| known of 2 people seriously injured that way,
| and nobody injured by flying rubber.

If it was a long time ago, perhaps there was just bias ply, and now
everything is steel belted, and they do deflate rather explosively. The
rubber of course carries lots of steel wire with it, and for all those
who've had wire brushes lose strands into your skin you get the picture.
I'll agree that the risk on passenger tires is a lot lower, but there's
lawyers everywhere, spoiling all the really cool accidents we can laugh
about later.

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
carl mciver wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
| Ned Simmons wrote:
|
| In article ,

says...

> [...]
|
| "Truth exists; only falsehood has to be invented."

If the tire is low, the axle is therefore lower to the ground. That
means the effective radius is shorter. Since the radius is shorter, the
effective circumference must be smaller. Following the progression of basic
geometry, more revolutions are required to move the same distance.

Now Carl, that explanation is what I had trouble with in the first place.

Imagine if you would that the tire had side to side notches on the tread
like an inside out timing belt and the pavement had mating pitch grooves
on it. (Sort of like the ones which make a warning sound if you start to
wander off the side of the road?)

That would create a "rack and pinion" configuration.

Would you still say that the number of revolutions per mile that tire
makes would vary with the air pressure in it, or as you put it "the

I think Carl has explained the paradox. Imagine that as your inside out
timing belt engages with the rack it develops a bubble in the center of
the engagement such that there are x+1 pitches of belt between x teeth
on the rack. The overall length of the belt hasn't changed, but its
effective length has been reduced by one tooth.

That's where my skepticism to the "Car Talk" answer stemmed from. I
don't doubt that second order effects come into play to make the
rotations per unit distance increase somewhat with lower tire pressure,
but I'm willing to bet that the effect is nowhere near as large as being
fully inversely proportional to the rolling radius, at least not until
the tire jumps right off the rim.

It seems to me no matter what the shape the tire is forced into, the
distance traveled will be 2*pi*r per rev, where r is the distance from
the ground to the axle. Think about it from the standpoint of torque. If
the tire is driving the auto, the torque at the axle is clearly equal to
F/r, where F is the force required to move the car. If the car travelled
more than 2*pi*r per rev you'd have the basis for a perpetual motion
machine.

Ned Simmons
carl mciver

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
SNIP

| Would you still say that the number of revolutions per mile that tire
| makes would vary with the air pressure in it, or as you put it "the
| effective radius".
|
| I think Carl has explained the paradox. Imagine that as your inside out
| timing belt engages with the rack it develops a bubble in the center of
| the engagement such that there are x+1 pitches of belt between x teeth
| on the rack. The overall length of the belt hasn't changed, but its
| effective length has been reduced by one tooth.

Thank you for making it clearer than I did. I was so wrapped up in the
big picture I missed the simple explanation!

Dave Mundt

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 04:54:53 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:
*snip*

[...]

Or, perhaps this was a direct object lesson from a Higher
Power, telling you to get smarter about driving defensively, and,
leaving a COMFORTABLE stopping distance between you and the vehicle
in front of you, and, a parable for the rest of us about it.
Glad you survived that one...and I hope you (and everyone
that reads this) will take a second to think about it, and, leave a
bit more space the next time. Drive more defensively folks...keep
the insurance companies from posting record profits in the coming
years!
Don't use the excuse that if you leave room someone will pull
in front of you. Trust me...they are not making you take ANY
significant amount of time more to get to your destination. Even
if you are going 2 MPH slower than surrounding traffic, you are STILL
moving along at a good clip.
Which gives me an opportunity to post an interesting question
that came to me. If I am driving through a congested area (say,
downtown Atlanta, or, a construction zone) at the posted speed limit
and YOU are blasting through at 10 MPH or 20 MPH over that...which
is better - For ME to speed up to an illegal (and likely more
dangerous) speed, or for YOU to slow down a little to approach
the LEGAL speed for the area?
Regards
Dave Mundt

Jeff Wisnia

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article ,
says...

carl mciver wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
| Ned Simmons wrote:
|
| In article ,

says...

> [...]

effective length has been reduced by one tooth.

That's where my skepticism to the "Car Talk" answer stemmed from. I
don't doubt that second order effects come into play to make the
rotations per unit distance increase somewhat with lower tire pressure,
but I'm willing to bet that the effect is nowhere near as large as being
fully inversely proportional to the rolling radius, at least not until
the tire jumps right off the rim.

It seems to me no matter what the shape the tire is forced into, the
distance traveled will be 2*pi*r per rev, where r is the distance from
the ground to the axle. Think about it from the standpoint of torque. If
the tire is driving the auto, the torque at the axle is clearly equal to
F/r, where F is the force required to move the car. If the car travelled
more than 2*pi*r per rev you'd have the basis for a perpetual motion

Well, you sure changed my thinking with that one Ned. I guess the
circumference of a tire which is low on air must develop a large enough
moving "ripple" in it to accept the decreased radiusin order to get its
entire circumfrential length moved around the axle once per revolution.

Excuse me while I go off and fall on my sword. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Bert

"carl mciver" wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
| Ned Simmons wrote:
|
| In article ,
| says...
|
| On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:09:28 -0400, Ned Simmons
| wrote:
|

| In article ,
| says...
|
| The "NPR "Car Talk" show's "Puzzler" a couple of weeks ago gave an
| answer stating that some car's computer "knew" a front tire was low on
| air because the ABS system noted that wheel was rotating "a heck of a
| lot faster" than the other wheels when the car was driven.
|
| I didn't buy that one.
|
| Sure, the rolling radius of a low tire is less than that of a fully
| inflated one,

The distance from axle to ground is less, but calling that distance a
radius (rolling or otherwise) is misleading. In the first place, that
distance does not equal half of the deformed diameter, so it's not a
radius in any conventional sense; secondly, and more importantly, the
shape of the under inflated tire is not circular, so even the
semi-diameter of the deformed shape does not have a 2 pi relationship
to the tire's circumference.

but the overall circumference, particularly on a steel
| belted tire, remains the same. Barring slippage, that circumference
must
| lay its whole length on the road once per revolution, just like the
| circumference of a full tire does.

Yes.

| But if the circumference remains constant as the rolling
| radius decreases there has to be slippage.

No. You're assuming that the relationship between the circumference
and the axle-to-ground distance (what you call the "rolling radius")
remains constant; it does NOT.

under inflated
| tires run hot, and some of that heat surely comes from
| excess flexing of the tire, but I imagine a large
| proportion is a result of the rubber scrubbing against the
| pavement.

I doubt there is much slippage at all. The car will tend to pull in
the direction of the under inflated tire because there is more
friction, not less, as would be the case if the tire were slipping.
(Of course, the lean of the car also contributes to the pull.)

| "a heck of a lot faster" may be exaggeration, unless the
| tire is seriously under inflated, but I'm sure the effect
| is measurable under controlled conditions even with small
| changes in pressure. I guess the question is how sensitive
| can the system really be without causing nuisance alarms?
|
| Ned Simmons
|
| Picture a spoked wheel with string instead of spokes, and the strings
| 1/2" too long. Just because the axle is closer to the road doesn't
| mean the tire is slipping,

Nor does it mean that the radius has changed.

| I don't think it's the fact that the axle is closer to the
| road that's causing the tire to slip relative to the
| pavement. When the tire deforms the radial distance from
| the axle to the ground across the length of the contact
| patch is not constant. So either the linear velocity or the
| angular velocity of the rubber on the road has to vary - in
| other words, something's got to give.

Neither the linear velocity of the rubber nor the angular velocity of
the hub has to vary. What "gives" is the mathematical relationship
between the two, due to the departure from a circular form.

The sidewall probably
| absorbs most of the difference when the tire is properly
| inflated, but can only do so much. Keep in mind that
| underinflated tires wear more rapidly, which implies at
| least some scrubbing.

That is true, but the scrubbing occurs during turns, not during
straight travel. Because the under inflated tire has a longer distance
between the foremost and aftmost points of contact with the road, more
scrubbing will be involved when turning, compared to a properly
inflated tire. Hence, more wear.

| Your example of a loosely strung wheel with a rigid (I
| assume) rim really isn't analogous since the rim only
| contacts the road at a point.

It also isn't analogous because the rigid rim retains a circular
shape.

| or that the tire's radius has actually
| changed.
|
| If the axle is closer to the ground, hasn't the effective
| radius of the wheel been reduced?

No. The only meaningful definition of "effective radius" in this
context is c/2*pi. If the circumference doesn't change, the effective
radius doesn't change.

The question is, how much does the circumference change as the
pressure changes? Will it change enough for the sensors to classify
the associated change in rotation speed as significant? Anyone have a
compressor and a tape measure handy to gather a little empirical data?

| The heat is probably almost exclusively from the flexing,
| primarily in the sidewall.

And from scrubbing during turns.

| I'm skeptical, especially in a seriously underinflated
| tire.
|
| Ned Simmons
|

| I didn't prased my OP post clearly. I know that that part of the ABS and
| couputer sytem will report a difference in the revolutions of the wheels
| after integrating the revolutions over some time period long enough to
| let you make a few consecutive turns in the same direction without
| trigering a warning.
|
| What I was incredulous about was the part of the puzzle's answer saying
| the tire with low air pressure would be rotating "a heck of a lot faster".
|
| The specific wording of the answer, by Ray, of Bob and Ray's "Car Talk"
| show was:
|
| ***************
|
| RAY: But when a tire loses air pressure and its diameter gets smaller,
| when the car is going down the road, in order for that tire to keep up
| with all the others and not get left behind, it has to turn faster. And
| your car does have something that is constantly monitoring the speed of
| all the wheels and comparing them to one another.
|
| What most modern cars have is ABS-- antilock brakes. And there's a
| sensor at every wheel that's reading how fast each of the wheels is
| turning. So, if it notes that the right front wheel is going a heck of a
| lot faster than the other wheels, it can either assume that you're
| making a lot of left hand turns or driving around a circle...or that
| your right front tire is going flat.
|
| **************
|
| It sounded to me like Ray somehow tricked himself into thinking that the
| increase in rotations per unit distance would be in direct proportion to
| the decreased rolling radius, and I don't believe that could be the
| case, for the reasons I already stated.

It could be that you're not giving enough weight to Ray's penchant for
hyperbole. Maybe by "a heck of a lot" he really means "a little
bit"...

If the tire is low, the axle is therefore lower to the ground. That
means the effective radius is shorter. Since the radius is shorter, the
effective circumference must be smaller. Following the progression of basic
geometry, more revolutions are required to move the same distance.

No. See discussion above about effective radius. As for the "effective
circumference", that's just the circumference, since each point will
contact the road during each revolution. The circumference will change
a little due to the change in pressure, and possibly a little due to
compressive effects within the contact zone, but not because the axle
is closer to the ground.

When a tire is low, the contact patch is not necessarily larger, once
you discount the lack of equal pressure in the middle of the contact patch.

I'm not sure if I buy the notion that the area of the contact patch
would remain unchanged, but in any case, the *length* of the patch
will be longer, resulting in a greater deviation from a circular
shape, and thus a greater deviation from the relation c = 2*pi*r,
especially if you're using the axle-to-ground distance as r.

The circumference is still the same, it's just not round, so there's a
bubble in the middle of the contact patch. Anyone who has seen a flat (and
mounted) tire sitting for a long time will see it clearly when it's rolled

That's a static condition. I don't know if that bubble would be
maintained under rolling conditions, since that would require each
point on the circumference to travel up and over the bubble (kind of a
standing wave thing). My hunch is that the bubble would be diminished
when rolling, but I could be wrong...

[...]

Leon Fisk

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:47:46 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article ,
says...

carl mciver wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
| Ned Simmons wrote:
|
| In article ,

says...

> [...]

the tire jumps right off the rim.

It seems to me no matter what the shape the tire is forced into, the
distance traveled will be 2*pi*r per rev, where r is the distance from
the ground to the axle. Think about it from the standpoint of torque. If
the tire is driving the auto, the torque at the axle is clearly equal to
F/r, where F is the force required to move the car. If the car travelled
more than 2*pi*r per rev you'd have the basis for a perpetual motion
machine.

Ned Simmons

Well, you sure changed my thinking with that one Ned. I guess the
circumference of a tire which is low on air must develop a large enough
moving "ripple" in it to accept the decreased radiusin order to get its
entire circumfrential length moved around the axle once per revolution.

Excuse me while I go off and fall on my sword. G

Hi Jeff,

This has been beaten to death, but maybe a few calculations
or examples would help.

Say the radius from the ground to the axle is 10 inches
properly inflated. The seen/working circumference would be:

2*3.1416*10 = 62.8320 inches

This would work out to 5280*12/62.8320 = 1008.40 revolutions
per mile.

Now soften the tire so that the radius drops a mere 1/2 inch
and you get this:

2*3.1416*9.5 = 59.6904 inches

This would work out to 5280*12/59.6904 = 1061.48 revolutions
per mile.

Try to visualize the distance from the axle to the ground.
This seems to be the key part. The rest of the tire seems to
be just a distraction.

I did this kind of quick and didn't recheck my calculations
all that well, but the theory should be okay...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Tim Shoppa

What I was incredulous about was the part of the puzzle's
answer saying the tire with low air pressure would be rotating
"a heck of a lot faster".

The guys on Car Talk have a style of exaggeration that should
be regarded as for listening enjoyment, not quantitative accuracy.

What quantity is "a heck of a lot faster" anyway?

I'm guessing that being 10 PSI low (out of say 30 or 35 PSI) is
only a few percent of difference in rotation speed. It's certainly not
33% difference in rotation speed! But it'll be visibly low, bulging
out to anyone who cares to look, you don't need ABS or pressure
sensors to see that much.

To an ABS system with wheel revolution counters that's easily
detectable (if not "a heck of a lot"!)

And anyway the indirect system won't tell you if all your wheels
are equally deflated...

Tim.

Robert Nichols

In article ,
Leon Fisk wrote:
:
:This has been beaten to death, but maybe a few calculations
r examples would help.
:
:Say the radius from the ground to the axle is 10 inches
roperly inflated. The seen/working circumference would be:
:
:2*3.1416*10 = 62.8320 inches
:
:This would work out to 5280*12/62.8320 = 1008.40 revolutions
er mile.
:
:Now soften the tire so that the radius drops a mere 1/2 inch
:and you get this:
:
:2*3.1416*9.5 = 59.6904 inches
:
:This would work out to 5280*12/59.6904 = 1061.48 revolutions
er mile.
:
:Try to visualize the distance from the axle to the ground.
:This seems to be the key part. The rest of the tire seems to
:be just a distraction.
:
:I did this kind of quick and didn't recheck my calculations
:all that well, but the theory should be okay...

Your calculations are for circles of different radii. In case you
hadn't noticed, a flat tire isn't even close to being a circle.

What you are neglecting is that the circumference of the tire is formed
by a steel belt whose length does not change significantly. For each
turn of the wheel, that unchanging circumference also makes one complete
revolution. When the tire is flat its shape changes, but not that total
length. For the car to travel anything other than that fixed distance
per revolution, something other than normal contact has to happen where
the rubber meets the road. It has been suggested that a ripple forms
under the tire, which is the only way I can think of that would allow 6"
of tire circumference to travel along less than 6" of road surface.**
Absent such a ripple, the car has to travel essentially the same
distance per revolution regardless of whether the tire is inflated or
flat.

So the big question is, "Does such a ripple actually form?" On a
_really_ flat tire I strongly suspect that the answer is, "Yes," but I
have my doubts that such a ripple forms under a tire that is only
moderately underinflated.

** A slipping tire could also do that, but a slipping tire running
faster than the road surface beneath it requires a source of
energy, and that would be absent on an undriven wheel.

--
Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"
Don Foreman

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:27:08 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

It seems to me no matter what the shape the tire is forced into, the
distance traveled will be 2*pi*r per rev, where r is the distance from
the ground to the axle. Think about it from the standpoint of torque. If
the tire is driving the auto, the torque at the axle is clearly equal to
F/r, where F is the force required to move the car. If the car travelled
more than 2*pi*r per rev you'd have the basis for a perpetual motion
machine.

r is not constant because the tire has a flat patch. C = pi *2 r
comes from integrating dC = r(theta) d(theta) thru 2 pi radians with r
constant. If r(theta) is not constant, then the formula for
circumference of a circle (C = pi *2 r or C = pi * D) is no longer
valid.

Even a properly inflated tire has a flat patch. An underinflated tire
just has a bigger flat patch. Circumference can remain unchanged, so
revs/rolled_distance also can remain unchanged.

Bert

Robert Nichols wrote:

[...]

I would argue that that question is irrelevant, and here's why: I
believe what has been proposed is a ripple that stays more or less
centered within the contact patch. If that's the case, consider the
front edge of the contact patch. This edge is always in contact with
the road (by definition), and each point on the circumference has to
pass through that edge during each revolution of the wheel.

The other possibility is one or more "permanent" indentations that
remain at fixed points on the tire (i.e., that rotate as the tire
rotates). Such indentations could result in less than 100 percent of
the circumference contacting the road each revolution, but they would
also lead to a bumpy ride, and I can't think offhand of a physical
reason why such indentations would form in a normal under-inflation
scenario.

** A slipping tire could also do that, but a slipping tire running
faster than the road surface beneath it requires a source of
energy, and that would be absent on an undriven wheel.

Yep.
Andy Asberry

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:16:38 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

The cage is to catch the split ring, not
pieces of the tire.

Even tubeless tires (no split ring) are required to be placed in a
cage.

Perhaps now, but not when I was in the business.
In any case, the discussion is about semi tires
which have a split rim that can do grievious
bodily harm if they pop out and hit you. I've
known of 2 people seriously injured that way,
and nobody injured by flying rubber.

I don't know when you were in the business. Tubeless truck tires have
been around for 30 years or more.

Fact: Very few new big trucks have tube type tires (split ring/lock
ring). Almost everything except roadable cranes have tubeless tires.
Reason for placing the tubeless tire/wheel in a cage is to restrain
the big pieces if one lets go.

More and more truck tires have steel body plies; not just belts. When
one is run under inflated or flat, there is a tremendous amount of
flexing in the sidewall. This flexing is just like bending a piece of
wire until it breaks. Except in this case the broken or weakened wire
is concealed by rubber. When the tire is inflated, as pressure builds
the sidewall lets go in what is known as a zipper failure. A ragged
rip in the sidewall that is parallel to the tread. It may be a foot
long. That sudden release of air can send a tire and wheel flying.

Next month will mark 40 years in the business. Twelve with Goodyear
and 28 for myself.
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
wrote:

It seems to me no matter what the shape the tire is forced into, the
distance traveled will be 2*pi*r per rev, where r is the distance from
the ground to the axle. Think about it from the standpoint of torque. If
the tire is driving the auto, the torque at the axle is clearly equal to
F/r, where F is the force required to move the car. If the car travelled

^^^^^F*r
more than 2*pi*r per rev you'd have the basis for a perpetual motion
machine.

r is not constant because the tire has a flat patch. C = pi *2 r
comes from integrating dC = r(theta) d(theta) thru 2 pi radians with r
constant. If r(theta) is not constant, then the formula for
circumference of a circle (C = pi *2 r or C = pi * D) is no longer
valid.

Even a properly inflated tire has a flat patch. An underinflated tire
just has a bigger flat patch. Circumference can remain unchanged, so
revs/rolled_distance also can remain unchanged.

Then where is the length of tread that compensates for the length that
is lost to the flat spot? It seems to me that it either must be in an
inward wave in the middle of the contact patch, or causing an outward
bulge just outside the contact patch, or possibly both.

Note that we all seem to be accepting the fact that the tread length is
fixed. Do we really know this to be the case? I'm sure the belts are
pretty effective at limiting the length of the tread in tension, but how
do they really behave in compression? If the tread can compress slightly
as it rotates into contact with the road that would resolve the entire
controversy.

In any case, I just can't accept that the car travels anything other
than 2*pi*r per rev (as before, r is the distance between the axle and
the road), regardless of what the tread does. To carry the torque and
work argument further, consider that the horizontal reaction of the
driving tire on the road is equal in magnitude to the horizontal force
at the axle pushing the car forward, call it F. Work is equal to F * d,
d being the distance the car travels. Work is also equal to Torque *
angular displacement in radians, T * theta. The torque at the axle is F
* r. So...

F * d = T * theta = F * r * theta

But if d per rev is greater than 2*pi*r, the work moving the car forward
is greater than the work input to the system by the torque turning the
axle.

Ned Simmons

Don Foreman

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 02:10:50 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

If the radius is less at the flat spot, then it must be greater
elsewhere. No length of tread is lost, it just isn't all at the same
distance from the axel.

Note that we all seem to be accepting the fact that the tread length is
fixed. Do we really know this to be the case? I'm sure the belts are
pretty effective at limiting the length of the tread in tension, but how
do they really behave in compression? If the tread can compress slightly
as it rotates into contact with the road that would resolve the entire
controversy.

In any case, I just can't accept that the car travels anything other
than 2*pi*r per rev (as before, r is the distance between the axle and
the road), regardless of what the tread does.

This is true if you use the r that the tire had when it was circular
in shape.

To carry the torque and
work argument further, consider that the horizontal reaction of the
driving tire on the road is equal in magnitude to the horizontal force
at the axle pushing the car forward, call it F. Work is equal to F * d,
d being the distance the car travels. Work is also equal to Torque *
angular displacement in radians, T * theta. The torque at the axle is F
* r. So...

F * d = T * theta = F * r * theta

But if d per rev is greater than 2*pi*r, the work moving the car forward
is greater than the work input to the system by the torque turning the
axle.

These formulae were derived for circular geometry. The tire covers
once circumference per rev regardless of its shape, so work output =
work input (minus losses that go to heat the tire). Torque is
exerted on all partsof the periphery, not just the part that touches
the road. The parts of the tire not touching the road still have
torque due to "pulling" the tread around with circumferential tension.

The total torque is the sum of the various moments (at various radii)
around the axel.

It is true that the *average* radius is always r, which is the
(constant) radius of the tire when it is circular in shape. If you
use that r in your assertion, then your assertion is correct. If r
varies with theta, then the average radius is
(1/(2*pi)) * integral ( r(theta) d theta) integrated over 2pi
radians. If r is constant, as in a circle, this comes out to r,
fancy that!

band saw tire darkon Woodworking 26 August 10th 05 04:51 PM
Wheelbarrow Tire Pressure SQLit Home Repair 14 June 10th 05 07:32 AM
Repairing a tubeless handcart tire Daniel Prince Home Repair 8 October 29th 04 11:33 PM
Jeep Cherokee Sport 1999 tire question! oktokie Home Repair 4 June 16th 04 07:27 PM