Jeff Wisnia

Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 02:10:50 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:27:08 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

It seems to me no matter what the shape the tire is forced into, the
distance traveled will be 2*pi*r per rev, where r is the distance from
the ground to the axle. Think about it from the standpoint of torque. If
the tire is driving the auto, the torque at the axle is clearly equal to
F/r, where F is the force required to move the car. If the car travelled

^^^^^F*r

more than 2*pi*r per rev you'd have the basis for a perpetual motion
machine.

r is not constant because the tire has a flat patch. C = pi *2 r
comes from integrating dC = r(theta) d(theta) thru 2 pi radians with r
constant. If r(theta) is not constant, then the formula for
circumference of a circle (C = pi *2 r or C = pi * D) is no longer
valid.

Even a properly inflated tire has a flat patch. An underinflated tire
just has a bigger flat patch. Circumference can remain unchanged, so
revs/rolled_distance also can remain unchanged.

Then where is the length of tread that compensates for the length that
is lost to the flat spot? It seems to me that it either must be in an
inward wave in the middle of the contact patch, or causing an outward
bulge just outside the contact patch, or possibly both.

If the radius is less at the flat spot, then it must be greater
elsewhere. No length of tread is lost, it just isn't all at the same
distance from the axel.

Note that we all seem to be accepting the fact that the tread length is
fixed. Do we really know this to be the case? I'm sure the belts are
pretty effective at limiting the length of the tread in tension, but how
do they really behave in compression? If the tread can compress slightly
as it rotates into contact with the road that would resolve the entire
controversy.

In any case, I just can't accept that the car travels anything other
than 2*pi*r per rev (as before, r is the distance between the axle and
the road), regardless of what the tread does.

This is true if you use the r that the tire had when it was circular
in shape.

To carry the torque and
work argument further, consider that the horizontal reaction of the
driving tire on the road is equal in magnitude to the horizontal force
at the axle pushing the car forward, call it F. Work is equal to F * d,
d being the distance the car travels. Work is also equal to Torque *
angular displacement in radians, T * theta. The torque at the axle is F
* r. So...

F * d = T * theta = F * r * theta

But if d per rev is greater than 2*pi*r, the work moving the car forward
is greater than the work input to the system by the torque turning the
axle.

These formulae were derived for circular geometry. The tire covers
once circumference per rev regardless of its shape, so work output =
work input (minus losses that go to heat the tire). Torque is
exerted on all partsof the periphery, not just the part that touches
the road. The parts of the tire not touching the road still have
torque due to "pulling" the tread around with circumferential tension.

The total torque is the sum of the various moments (at various radii)
around the axel.

It is true that the *average* radius is always r, which is the
(constant) radius of the tire when it is circular in shape. If you
use that r in your assertion, then your assertion is correct. If r
varies with theta, then the average radius is
(1/(2*pi)) * integral ( r(theta) d theta) integrated over 2pi
radians. If r is constant, as in a circle, this comes out to r,
fancy that!

With my nearly last breath I just rescinded my DNR document and asked to
be kept on life support until this one gets settled.

Don, I definitely would have picked you to be on the topside end of 100
feet of manilla line back around 1960 when we thought it great fun to
SCUBA dive under the ice around here.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/ice2.jpg

That's me on the left. All that's left from those halcion days are some
great memories and that very same length of manilla line, which I used
just yesterday while felling a tree in the backyard.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Bert

Ned Simmons wrote:

In any case, I just can't accept that the car travels anything other
than 2*pi*r per rev (as before, r is the distance between the axle and
the road), regardless of what the tread does.

As I explained in my previous post (and as others have subsequently
explained), the equation c=2*pi*r applies only if (a) you're dealing
with a circle and (b) r is measured from the center of the circle.
Neither of those are true in this case. Why would you expect to be
able to use that equation when neither of the basic premises are met?

Think about it from the standpoint of torque.

Sorry, but an analysis of the physics isn't going to do you much good
unless you first get the geometry right.

Bert
Don Foreman

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:40:42 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Ned Simmons wrote:

In any case, I just can't accept that the car travels anything other
than 2*pi*r per rev (as before, r is the distance between the axle and
the road), regardless of what the tread does.

As I explained in my previous post (and as others have subsequently
explained), the equation c=2*pi*r applies only if (a) you're dealing
with a circle and (b) r is measured from the center of the circle.
Neither of those are true in this case. Why would you expect to be
able to use that equation when neither of the basic premises are met?

You *are* dealing with a circle; r is constant regardless
of the shape the tire assumes.

You must be using the distance from axel to pavement as r. That
distance is constant, but the distance from axel to periphery of the
tire is not constant.

Would you argue that you
can't use the distance from the driven axle of a tracked
vehicle to the road surface to calculate the speed of the
vehicle as a function of axle RPM simply because the track
isn't circular in shape?

The problem with this analogy is that the wheel on a tracked vehicle
is a rigid circle with constant radius. A tire is an elastic wheel
with varying radius. Not all points on the periphery of the tire are
moving at the same angular velocity wrt the axel. The (scalar)
surface speed stays pretty constant if the tread doesn't stretch
circumferentially, but some stretching and compression obviously goes
on in the sidewalls. If surface speed remains constant while radius
varies, then angular velocity must vary over the course of a rev. It
all averages out over a rev because the tread makes no net progress
relative to the periphery of the rigid steel wheel.

Think about it from the standpoint of torque.

Sorry, but an analysis of the physics isn't going to do you much good
unless you first get the geometry right.

Then where is the propelling force F acting, if it's not at
the interface between the tire and road, i.e.,
perpendicular to r and distance r from the axle?

Force acts on the road at the point(s) of contact, but torque is
applied all round the tire as tangential force transmitted from the
wheel to the tread thru the sidewalls. Net torque is the sum of the
moments, i.e. the definite integral of the differential moments.

Don Foreman

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:31:12 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Don, I definitely would have picked you to be on the topside end of 100
feet of manilla line back around 1960 when we thought it great fun to
SCUBA dive under the ice around here.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/ice2.jpg

Topside is exactly where I'd rather be, Jeff. Brrrrrr!

Bert

Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...
Ned Simmons wrote:

In any case, I just can't accept that the car travels anything other
than 2*pi*r per rev (as before, r is the distance between the axle and
the road), regardless of what the tread does.

As I explained in my previous post (and as others have subsequently
explained), the equation c=2*pi*r applies only if (a) you're dealing
with a circle and (b) r is measured from the center of the circle.
Neither of those are true in this case. Why would you expect to be
able to use that equation when neither of the basic premises are met?

You *are* dealing with a circle;

Nonsense.

r is constant regardless
of the shape the tire assumes.

First you say that r (defined by you as the axle-to-ground distance)
varies with pressure, and now you say it's constant. You can't have it
both ways.

If you define r = c/2*pi, your statement above true. But that's not
what *you* are calling r.

Would you argue that you
can't use the distance from the driven axle of a tracked
vehicle to the road surface to calculate the speed of the
vehicle as a function of axle RPM simply because the track
isn't circular in shape?

Not really an analogous example because the track is not affixed to
the drive wheel, but yes, I would argue that you can't compute speed
based solely on RPM and the distance from the axle to the ground, and
furthermore, that the distance from axle to ground is irrelevant. You
*can* compute the vehicle speed as a function of axle RPM *if* you
know the radius of the drive wheel. Since the wheel is circular, the
speed is (rotational rate) * radius. But this calculation is valid
*only* because the drive wheel is circular and *only* if the radius of
the drive wheel (measured from center to edge) is used, NOT the
distance from the axle to the ground. It doesn't matter where the axle
is relative to the ground; for a given wheel size and RPM the vehicle
speed is the same.

With your definition of radius as the distance from the axle to the
ground, the tracked vehicle would go faster or slower (at the same
axle RPM) depending on whether the drive wheel is at the bottom of the
track, inside the top of the track, or above the track.

Think about it from the standpoint of torque.

Sorry, but an analysis of the physics isn't going to do you much good
unless you first get the geometry right.

Then where is the propelling force F acting, if it's not at
the interface between the tire and road, i.e.,
perpendicular to r and distance r from the axle?

You're asking the wrong question. The problem with your analysis isn't
where the force is acting, it's in your attempt to use equations
derived for a circle when you're not dealing with a circle. Once the
tire is deformed, it is NOT a circle, and you can no longer use
equations derived for a circle.

Bert
Don Foreman

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:13:11 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

We're making this far too complicated.

A point on the periphery of an arbitrarily-shaped must be at the same
angular position after each revolution. If it were not, the periphery
would make net angular progress relative to the axel and "wind up".

If there is no slippage between road and wheel periphery, then the
vehicle must progress one peripheral distance per revolution, whatever
the various radii might be.

If the wheel were a circle this peripheral distance would be
circumference. Call it whatever you like for a non-round wheel.

A tank-tread analogy does not apply because the tread is driven only
where the tread is in contact with the rigid round wheel, where all
points on a tire's periphery are mechanically (albeit elastically)
coupled to the axel by the sidewalls.
Norman Yarvin

wrote:

[...]

An inward wave doesn't seem likely on a tire that's anywhere near to
normal inflation: that would mean the tire tread lifting off the road;
but the air pressure inside is pressing the tire tread down onto the
road. Even if the tire is only at 15 psi, with a contact patch of
several tens of square inches that's still a lot of force. For the tire
to lift off the road in the middle is plausible for a completely flat
tire, which is where someone who posted to this thread observed it
happening; but it's different if the tire is just low, not flat.

Note that we all seem to be accepting the fact that the tread length is
fixed. Do we really know this to be the case? I'm sure the belts are
pretty effective at limiting the length of the tread in tension, but how
do they really behave in compression? If the tread can compress slightly
as it rotates into contact with the road that would resolve the entire
controversy.

The nitpicker in me says that the tread will certainly compress, even if
the belt doesn't, since the tread is outside the belt and is normally of
a larger radius, yet as the two go over the contact patch, they are
flattened out to the same length, or rather, to be more precise, to the
same (infinite) radius. But this happens even with a tire at normal
pressure, and happens about the same amount, since the initial radius is
almost the same, and so is the final (infinite) radius.

To address your real question, the steel belt is prestressed by the
tire's air pressure. For it to compress much, it'd have to lose all that
prestress. Then it'd have to buckle -- which the individual wires in the
belt are restrained from doing by the rubber surrounding them and binding
them together. Either the rubber would have to disintegrate, or the
tread as a whole would have to buckle. It can't buckle downward into the
road, because the road is hard, so it would have to buckle up off the
road, which gets us back to the question of whether the tire lifts up off
the road in the middle of the contact patch; as mentioned above, I don't
think this is likely for the sorts of tire pressures which you'd like to
catch and report to the driver via an automated system of the type that
started this thread.

In any case, I just can't accept that the car travels anything other
than 2*pi*r per rev (as before, r is the distance between the axle and
the road), regardless of what the tread does. To carry the torque and
work argument further, consider that the horizontal reaction of the
driving tire on the road is equal in magnitude to the horizontal force
at the axle pushing the car forward, call it F. Work is equal to F * d,
d being the distance the car travels. Work is also equal to Torque *
angular displacement in radians, T * theta. The torque at the axle is F
* r. So...

F * d = T * theta = F * r * theta

But if d per rev is greater than 2*pi*r, the work moving the car forward
is greater than the work input to the system by the torque turning the
axle.

Much as I like conservation-of-energy type arguments, they are made
inapplicable here by the energy loss that heats up the tire. The actual
torque at the axle is going to be greater than the number yielded by your
above formula, because the torque at the axle must also provide the
energy that goes into heating the tire.

The basic situation seems to be this:

-- The tire can't slip on the rim; one revolution of the tire
always means one revolution of the rim.

-- At the middle of the tire contact patch, the tire wants to
move the wheel at the angular speed omega given by the formula
omega = v/r,
where r is the distance from the axle to the road, and v is
the car's speed.

-- At the very front of the tire contact patch, the tire wants to
move the wheel at approximately
omega = v/r0,
where r0 is the distance from the axle to the front of the tire
contact patch, which is about the normal radius of the wheel.

The two parts of the tire are thus fighting each other: each wants to
move the wheel at a different angular velocity. The resulting angular
velocity will be between the two figures, and there'll be scrubbing of
the tire against the road, with the front of the contact patch trying to
go faster over the ground, but slipping backwards, and the middle of the
contact patch trying to go slower over the ground, but slipping forwards.

(Some of the people in this thread have been arguing for omega=v/r;
others have been arguing for omega=v/r0; well, you're not the only ones;
the tire is arguing with itself too.)

Sharp eyes will have noticed that there's an "approximately" in my above
argument for omega=v/r0. That's largely because the tire tread is
hitting the ground at an angle; that's really a formula for the velocity
of a point on the tread just before it hits the ground, not just after.
The correction factor for this is roughly cos(theta), where theta is the
angle between vertical and the line between the axle and the front of the
contact point: really the formula should be more like

omega = v*cos(theta) / r0,

except even that isn't correct, since it's based on the approximation
that the tread makes a perfect circle interrupted only where it touches
the ground, where it's perfectly flat. Still, it's not too far off; and
for small theta, cos(theta) is approximately equal to one, yielding the
approximation-to-an-approximation formula omega=v/r0.

--
Norman Yarvin http://yarchive.net
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...
Ned Simmons wrote:

In any case, I just can't accept that the car travels anything other
than 2*pi*r per rev (as before, r is the distance between the axle and
the road), regardless of what the tread does.

As I explained in my previous post (and as others have subsequently
explained), the equation c=2*pi*r applies only if (a) you're dealing
with a circle and (b) r is measured from the center of the circle.
Neither of those are true in this case. Why would you expect to be
able to use that equation when neither of the basic premises are met?

You *are* dealing with a circle;

Nonsense.

From the frame of reference of the axle, r sweeps out a
circle. The shape the tire assumes where it's not
contacting the road has no effect on the velocity of the
vehicle - it's irrelevant.

r is constant regardless
of the shape the tire assumes.

First you say that r (defined by you as the axle-to-ground distance)
varies with pressure, and now you say it's constant. You can't have it
both ways.

Huh? r is a function of pressure and I never said
otherwise. I assumed it was a given that the pressure in
the tire would not vary as a function of angular position.

[...]

In the case of the tracked vehicle r is the distance from
the axle to the surface of the track that contacts the
road. In other words, assuming rigid track and wheel, r is
the pitch radius of the drive wheel plus the distance from
the pitch line of the track to the driving surface.

Think about it from the standpoint of torque.

Sorry, but an analysis of the physics isn't going to do you much good
unless you first get the geometry right.

Then where is the propelling force F acting, if it's not at
the interface between the tire and road, i.e.,
perpendicular to r and distance r from the axle?

You're asking the wrong question. The problem with your analysis isn't
where the force is acting, it's in your attempt to use equations
derived for a circle when you're not dealing with a circle. Once the
tire is deformed, it is NOT a circle, and you can no longer use
equations derived for a circle.

I don't know how many more ways to say it. The car isn't
bouncing up and down as the tire rotates - r is constant;
from the axle's frame of reference r sweeps out a circle;
the only propelling force is applied perpendicular to r at
surface of the road; the formulae for circular motion are
applicable.

Plug some numbers into this calculator, it will agree with
my model.

http://www.club80-
90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC%
20calculator.htm

Don, if your following, I'll hopefully get a chance to
respond to you tomorrow night.

Ned Simmons
Don Foreman

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:45:49 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...
Ned Simmons wrote:

In any case, I just can't accept that the car travels anything other
than 2*pi*r per rev (as before, r is the distance between the axle and
the road), regardless of what the tread does.

As I explained in my previous post (and as others have subsequently
explained), the equation c=2*pi*r applies only if (a) you're dealing
with a circle and (b) r is measured from the center of the circle.
Neither of those are true in this case. Why would you expect to be
able to use that equation when neither of the basic premises are met?

You *are* dealing with a circle;

Nonsense.

From the frame of reference of the axle, r sweeps out a
circle. The shape the tire assumes where it's not
contacting the road has no effect on the velocity of the
vehicle - it's irrelevant.

R sweeps a circle of circumference 2*pi*r per revolution of the axle.
The peripheral length of the tread is greater than 2*pi*r, but the
same spot on the tread is in contact with the pavement each
revolution. Must be some wrinkles in the tread?

(snip)

In the case of the tracked vehicle r is the distance from
the axle to the surface of the track that contacts the
road. In other words, assuming rigid track and wheel, r is
the pitch radius of the drive wheel plus the distance from
the pitch line of the track to the driving surface.

No. The part of the tread in contact with the ground doesn't move
relative to the ground (if it isn't mud), so the r there is the pitch
radius of the (circular) drive wheel. Imagine a tread all laid out
rather than wrapped around the wheel. The drive wheel would be
riding on stationary tread that is laying on the ground surface.
Making the tread thicker wouldn't make the vehicle go faster.

[...]

Andy Asberry

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:52:04 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

The "NPR "Car Talk" show's "Puzzler" a couple of weeks ago gave an
answer stating that some car's computer "knew" a front tire was low on
air because the ABS system noted that wheel was rotating "a heck of a
lot faster" than the other wheels when the car was driven.

I didn't buy that one.

Sure, the rolling radius of a low tire is less than that of a fully
inflated one, but the overall circumference, particularly on a steel
belted tire, remains the same. Barring slippage, that circumference must
lay its whole length on the road once per revolution, just like the
circumference of a full tire does.

From my TSD rallying days I remember that low tire pressures made some
slight differences in odometer measurements, but these were in the
second decimal place, hardly "a heck of a lot".

Am I missing something here? What do the great minds on rcm think about
this one?

Jeff

This is about as plain as it can be. Jeff, would you hand out those
DNRs for those who can't understand this?

http://www.desser.com/tech/centrifugal.html

Want more? Google for tire traction wave.
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

All sounds reasonable to me.

[...]

I was assuming a lossless tire, which I don't believe
invalidates the argument.

[...]

Do the trig and I think you'll find that the horizontal
component of omega * r0 is exactly equal to omega * r .

Ned Simmons
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

The "NPR "Car Talk" show's "Puzzler" a couple of weeks ago gave an
answer stating that some car's computer "knew" a front tire was low on
air because the ABS system noted that wheel was rotating "a heck of a
lot faster" than the other wheels when the car was driven.

I didn't buy that one.

Sure, the rolling radius of a low tire is less than that of a fully
inflated one, but the overall circumference, particularly on a steel
belted tire, remains the same. Barring slippage, that circumference must
lay its whole length on the road once per revolution, just like the
circumference of a full tire does.

From my TSD rallying days I remember that low tire pressures made some
slight differences in odometer measurements, but these were in the
second decimal place, hardly "a heck of a lot".

Am I missing something here? What do the great minds on rcm think about
this one?

Jeff

This is about as plain as it can be. Jeff, would you hand out those
DNRs for those who can't understand this?

http://www.desser.com/tech/centrifugal.html

Want more? Google for tire traction wave.

That I believe I can understand, Andy, and it was a quite interesting
page you pointed us to. The forces involved were impressive. I'll try
not to think about them too much the next time Im boarding a flight.

But, I can't tell if you were presenting it as evidence for or against
my position when I started this thread.

If I read the diagram correctly, the traction wave takes place *behind*
the tire's contact patch, so I don't understand waht effect, if any,
that could have on the wheels rotational speed vs inflation pressure?

*******************

I was discharged from intensive care yesterday and driven home from the
hospital by a masked avenger who initialed the release register "DF".

I'm back home, believing again that the tire's change in rotational
speed is NOT inversely proportional to the "axle height", but is a LOT
less than that.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Robert Nichols

:
: -- The tire can't slip on the rim; one revolution of the tire
: always means one revolution of the rim.
:
: -- At the middle of the tire contact patch, the tire wants to
: move the wheel at the angular speed omega given by the formula
: omega = v/r,
: where r is the distance from the axle to the road, and v is
: the car's speed.
:
: -- At the very front of the tire contact patch, the tire wants to
: move the wheel at approximately
: omega = v/r0,
: where r0 is the distance from the axle to the front of the tire
: contact patch, which is about the normal radius of the wheel.

I'm going to pick up on the words "wants to" in the above. We are
dealing with an elastic system (the tire sidewalls), so there is no
requirement that the speed of a point on the periphery of the tire is
always given by (omega * r), where omega is the angular speed of the hub
and r is a variable that changes as the point moves in its non-circular
path. Indeed, I postulate that omega at the periphery of the tire is
not a constant, but in the region of contact with the road is higher
than the angular speed of the hub. The only constraint is that,
integrated around one complete revolution, the average value of omega at
the periphery equals omega of the hub (i.e., there is no slippage of the
tire on the rim).

Conveniently, this invalidates everyone else's caclulations to date, so
I can smugly wave my hand and ride off into the sunset, at least until
such time as someone comes up with evidence that the angular position of
a point on the periphery of an underinflated tire is indeed fixed
relative to the hub.

--
Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"
Norman Yarvin

In article ,
Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Hmm, I was imagining that factor wouldn't cancel, but you're right: it
does. Even if there's a bulge in the tire, making r0 greater than the
original radius of the tire, it still does. At any point on the ground
plane (assuming the ground to be flat), the horizontal component of the
rotational velocity vector is the same. So my above-quoted explanation
is wrong.

There's still the problem of the tread having to make one complete
revolution for every complete revolution of the rim, though. If the
angular velocity of every piece of the tread were constant, then what
would have to happen would be that just as the tread hit the ground, it
would compress in length by a factor of cos(theta), and stay compressed
by that factor until it lifted off the ground. But really the tread
length is rather incompressible, due to the steel belt. So the angular
velocity can't be constant: instead of the radial reinforcing cords
staying purely radial at all times, they must deviate from being radial
as they go over the contact patch: they must become, in angular terms,
more divergent from each other, although no farther apart in absolute
terms. The sidewall then has to flex to accomodate this.

Since the motion of the tire isn't a pure rotation, the formula v=omega*r
doesn't apply in the first place.

This is about where I give up trying to juggle the variables in my head,
and think in terms of writing a computer program.

It's not necessary for anybody to have analyzed this in detail: even the
guys developing the system might just have noticed that the wheel ran at
a different rate when the tire pressure was low, and that the value was
significant enough to be seen over the noise. But the original poster to
this thread seems to have been right that the change can't have been
huge.

--
Norman Yarvin http://yarchive.net

carl mciver

"Robert Nichols" wrote in
message ...
SNIP|

| Conveniently, this invalidates everyone else's caclulations to date, so
| I can smugly wave my hand and ride off into the sunset, at least until
| such time as someone comes up with evidence that the angular position of
| a point on the periphery of an underinflated tire is indeed fixed
| relative to the hub.
|
| --
| Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"

Damn! Nuthin' like a couple physics majors arguing with each other!

Andy Asberry

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:38:41 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Andy Asberry wrote:
[...]

Yes, I caught that "behind" the tire thing also. I was positive I
remembered the wave being in front of the tire. Dug into my notes;
couldn't find the photo but found the notes. It was the right rear
wheel of a 1962 Pontiac on a dyno. Perhaps the drive/free-rolling
wheels are opposite. One other possibility is because the tire wasn't
belted.
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:13:11 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Sorry I haven't come back to this sooner, as I'm sure
everyone is on tenterhooks anticipating a resolution g,
but I've worked about 30 hours in the last couple days, and
got an afternoon's sailing in to boot.

We're making this far too complicated.

Or perhaps not complicated enough. Rather than continuing
with the speculative arguments I poked around a bit and
found info that was either overly simplistic, or
complicated by analyses of traction, drag, stability, and
handling. This quote, from the description of Matlab
function...

http://www.mathworks.com/access/help...p/toolbox/phys
mod/drive/tire.html

....is the most concise explanation I found.
The Tire block models the tire as a rigid-wheel, flexible-
body combination in contact with the road. The model
includes only longitudinal motion and no camber, turning,
or lateral motion. At full speed, the tire acts like a
damper, and the longitudinal force Fx is determined mainly
by the slip. At low speeds, when the tire is starting up
from or slowing down to a stop, the tire behaves more like
a deformable, circular spring. The effective rolling radius
re is normally slightly less than the nominal tire radius
because the tire deforms under its vertical load."

I haven't found anything that's definitive on the
relationship between what I've been calling r (the height
of the axle above the ground) and what is usually referred
to as re, the effective rolling radius. As best as I can
tell r and re are close to equal at rest, and re increases
with speed. r apparently increases with speed as well;
whether it increases at the same rate as re is not clear to
me.

Mark's Handbook has a table that lists the free diameter
of, and the number of revs/mile made, by several sizes of
common auto tires. It indicates that the effective radius
of the tires listed is from around 1/4" to 1/2" smaller
than the free radius of an unloaded tire. These figures are
at highway speed and would presumably be greater if
measured at low speeds.

This calculator agrees closely with the table in Mark's...

http://www.club80-
90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC%
20calculator.htm

This paper details several tire models...

http://www.trombi.com/docs_trombi/do...175-report.pdf

The model that is detailed starting on p.27 has some
pertinent info.

Ned Simmons

band saw tire darkon Woodworking 26 August 10th 05 04:51 PM
Wheelbarrow Tire Pressure SQLit Home Repair 14 June 10th 05 07:32 AM
Repairing a tubeless handcart tire Daniel Prince Home Repair 8 October 29th 04 11:33 PM
Jeep Cherokee Sport 1999 tire question! oktokie Home Repair 4 June 16th 04 07:27 PM