PoP

Default re-use old concrete as an aggregate ?

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 00:47:38 GMT, cuckoo flower
wrote:

hi, do any of you builders/DIYers out there know if i could use the
old concrete which i just dug up from the floor inside my house,
as an aggregate for the new concrete i'm going to mix up ?
i need about 1/3 (one third) of a cu m. to fill it in again (after
burying CH pipes), so obviously, as i still have all the old stuff,
i could save some money by re-using it, otherwise i'll have to
buy about 400Kg of aggregate on top of the 200Kg sand and
100Kg of cement (have i got these quantities right by the way ?)

Can't answer your question, but my concern is about you "burying the
CH pipes".

That might be a good idea, and it might not. Are you sure you want to
deny access to the CH pipes for all time?

PoP

robgraham

Yes, you can re use concrete as aggregate. In fact it's often sold crushed
for this purpose. I'd also query your idea of burying CH pipes. Talk to my
next door neighbour!

Rob Graham

David W.E. Roberts

"robgraham" wrote in message
Yes, you can re use concrete as aggregate. In fact it's often sold crushed
for this purpose. I'd also query your idea of burying CH pipes. Talk to my
next door neighbour!

Rob Graham

Aggregate?
See http://www.feis.herts.ac.uk/Research...sp?groupid=114
I am now questioning if I understand what aggregate is :-)
I have always thought that aggregate was the lumpy material (usually about
20mm stone) which was mixed with sand and cement to form concrete.
I can understand how used concrete could be crushed to give 20mm lumps to
give strength to the concrete mix, but this seems a little beyond the
average DIYer.
When I first read this I assumed that the OP was confusing aggregate (which
goes into the concrete mixer) with hardcore which is generally used as a
base for poured concrete.
Now I am wondering if I have missed something?

Cheers
Dave R

cuckoo flower

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:23:00 +0100, "robgraham"
wrote:

Yes, you can re use concrete as aggregate. In fact it's often sold crushed
for this purpose. I'd also query your idea of burying CH pipes. Talk to my
next door neighbour!

Rob Graham

sorry, perhaps i should have explained better, the CH pipes i'm
'burying' are actually run through black hepworth conduit, along with
junction boxes for any T's and elbows (including the elbows at the
radiator exits), so all the pipework & fittings can be
removed/replaced if necessary in the future.

anyway, thanks for your help, it's much appreciated
The Natural Philosopher

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

Mmm. Aggregate possibly not the ideal word.

Concrete is just stones, held together by sand held together by cement.

Its not as strong as the stones, but its stronger than the cement, so
adding bits of mashed up concrete, old bricks, paving slabs and other
assorted 'hard core' won't give you as good stregnth into the new mix as
fresh aggregate will, but heck, sometimes its a question of volume, not
strength.

If e.g. I am building a brick pillar that might otherwise be hollow (bad
idea traps water, frezes exapnds splits etc) then I will fill it up
with any old bits of rubbish and slop partially gone off mortar in it to
fll the gaps. Brickalyers caught short up a scaffold fill voids with
worse things than that, as well.

all adds to the bulk as they say.

Cheers
Dave R

David W.E. Roberts

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

To go back to the original post:

"otherwise i'll have to buy about 400Kg of aggregate on top of the 200Kg
sand and 100Kg of cement (have i got these quantities right by the way ?)"

This looks like a fairly standard* 4:2:1 mix for concrete using aggregate
and sand instead of pre-mixed sand and aggregate (ballast).

My Collins DIY defines coarse aggregate as gravel or crushed stone between
5mm and 20mm.

*On further reference to my Collins, I note that the standard mix for
concrete uses 3 of aggregate to 2 of sand.
Rations of sand to aggregate given a
General purpose 1.0 : 1.5
Foundation 1.1 : 1.5
Paving 0.9 : 1.5

So I conclude:
(1) The OP was probably not talking about reusing concrete as aggregate
(5-20mm)
(2) To properly re-use old concrete as aggregate it will need grinding down
to 5-20mm particles which is not normal DIY!
(3) The OP was probably talking about using the old concrete as hard core to
reduce the amount of new concrete to be poured.
(4) The proposed new mix probably has too much aggregate in it :-)

So to restate the question (please correct me if I am wrong):

How much of the old concrete can be broken up and re-used as hardcore when
laying the new 1/3 cu m floor?

Cheers
Dave R

concrete floor cuckoo flower UK diy 6 July 24th 03 08:44 PM
Concrete Fence Posts - setting out Rick Hughes UK diy 4 July 11th 03 08:45 PM
Concrete slab advice John UK diy 12 July 11th 03 10:55 AM