Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 50 microns enough? gold plated contacts.

On 2015-07-30, micky wrote:

But one modular jack has black spring wire,
and modular plug has one black contact.

Need gold connections.

Been there, wore out that t-shirt.

Got an outside line (POTS/DSL) from my point-of-access (PA) to house.
Couldn't find a single line long enough so connected two lines with
dbl-female union. Over the last Spring, lost both phone and internet
connectivity several times. Each time it was mold ("black") on the
contacts of the mid-line union.

My solution: old tooth brush and WD40 (which is a water displacement
(WD) formula, not a lubricant!). Hosed all connections w/ WD40 and
scrubbed mold out with toothbrush. Worked well in dead of
rainy-season as a quick-fix, but finally hadda buy a new union.

HTH
nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 30 Jul 2015 13:55:15 GMT, notbob

On 2015-07-30, micky wrote:

But one modular jack has black spring wire,
and modular plug has one black contact.

Need gold connections.

Been there, wore out that t-shirt.

Got an outside line (POTS/DSL) from my point-of-access (PA) to house.
Couldn't find a single line long enough so connected two lines with
dbl-female union. Over the last Spring, lost both phone and internet
connectivity several times.

Yesterday for the first time, there was scratchiness on the phone,
though that had gone away before I fiddled with this jack.

Each time it was mold ("black") on the
contacts of the mid-line union.

You really have been there.

My solution: old tooth brush and WD40 (which is a water displacement
(WD) formula, not a lubricant!). Hosed all connections w/ WD40 and
scrubbed mold out with toothbrush. Worked well in dead of
rainy-season as a quick-fix, but finally hadda buy a new union.

HTH

Yeah, it does help. I tried blowing the mold off, and I imagined that
I was getting somehere with the jack part!

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2015 9:55 AM, notbob wrote:

My solution: old tooth brush and WD40 (which is a water displacement
(WD) formula, not a lubricant!). Hosed all connections w/ WD40 and
scrubbed mold out with toothbrush. Worked well in dead of
rainy-season as a quick-fix, but finally hadda buy a new union.

HTH
nb

Instead of the lubricant WD, you might try Caig Deoxit.
A friend suggested that to me, for some electronics
connections. Well worth the $15 on Ebay. Also to displace
water, dielectric grease is good. Advance Auto Parts
has it in the row with the RTV and other small tubes.
I've used dielectric grease water displacer on many
things with success.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-30, micky wrote:

Yesterday for the first time, there was scratchiness on the phone,
though that had gone away before I fiddled with this jack.

DSL via POTS (plain ol' telephone system) can drop only the DSL signal
OR only the phone signal OR both. I've had good, scratchy, and plain
ol' dead from both signals, independent of each other. No kidding.
internet connectivity worked fine, but phone signal was dead. I'm
still scratching my head on that one.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-30, micky wrote:

Yesterday for the first time, there was scratchiness on the phone,
though that had gone away before I fiddled with this jack.

DSL via POTS (plain ol' telephone system) can drop only the DSL signal
OR only the phone signal OR both. I've had good, scratchy, and plain
ol' dead from both signals, independent of each other. No kidding.
internet connectivity worked fine, but phone signal was dead. I'm
still scratching my head on that one.

nb

I have see DSL work when there is no dial tone because the high frequencies that carry the DSL signal were jumping the tiny break in the wire as though it was a capacitor. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle DSL Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 30 Jul 2015 15:53:43 GMT, notbob

On 2015-07-30, micky wrote:

Yesterday for the first time, there was scratchiness on the phone,
though that had gone away before I fiddled with this jack.

Well, maybe I should go into detail. The first time I thought to test
the phone I called myself and it said it was a disconnected number.
Yikes! I thought, that would explain why the internet didn't work.

Later I looked at redial and it really was my number. And I used
redial and got a busy signal, So I think the first time the line was
so scratchy .... it misinterpreted a tone to be a diferent number..
That's impossible.

DSL via POTS (plain ol' telephone system) can drop only the DSL signal
OR only the phone signal OR both. I've had good, scratchy, and plain
ol' dead from both signals, independent of each other. No kidding.
internet connectivity worked fine, but phone signal was dead.

I haven't had the last one, But I have had iirc Usenet works, email
works, but web doesn't work. That's when I actually let someone from
the phone company come out. Even though it was my fault, I don't think
he charged me. He said there are several levels of failing.

While I was talking to him, either he or I decided my wire from the NID
to the modem was inadequate. It was flat stuff used to go from the
wall to the phone, and it was cheap flat stuff, because I'm cheap, and
it never occurred to me it could degrade anything. I bought 100 feet
of it, because I'm not totally cheap. It was also still wrapped on the
spool, 75 feet of it, so maybe that caused inductive problems. I
think I had just put it in because, like in your previous post, I had
been using two wires conected with a dbl-female, and I knew that would
be trouble.

But this wire was thinner than that, and when I put that in, I lost my
web!. So I went to the round white stuff meant for inside the walls,
and stiffer than the minimum is what I had. And I put modular jacks on
each end and a very short male to male modular cord on the outside going
to the NID. (and another longer one on the inside to the modem, but
that one doesn't get wet.) And my download speed tripled from two
kinds of wire earlier. (since there was almost no downloading with the
wire I used second.) People have told me this can't happen, but it did
and I'm 98% sure there was no other reason.

And that's where I am now.

I have some thin shielded cable that is supposed to replace the round
white wire, maybe later this summer.

I'm
still scratching my head on that one.

I can relate.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-30, micky wrote:

Yesterday for the first time, there was scratchiness on the phone,
though that had gone away before I fiddled with this jack.

DSL via POTS (plain ol' telephone system) can drop only the DSL signal
OR only the phone signal OR both. I've had good, scratchy, and plain
ol' dead from both signals, independent of each other. No kidding.
internet connectivity worked fine, but phone signal was dead. I'm
still scratching my head on that one.

nb

I have see DSL work when there is no dial tone because the high frequencies that carry the DSL signal were jumping the tiny break in the wire as though it was a capacitor. ^_^

Aha. I can understand that.

[8~{} Uncle DSL Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Monster wrote:

I have see DSL work when there is no dial tone because the high frequencies that carry the DSL signal were jumping the tiny break in the wire as though it was a capacitor. ^_^

Aha. I can understand that.

Yep. Makes sense and I suspected as much. TIG welders also use a
high freq signal to initiate a lower freq spark across a gap.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-30, micky wrote:

But one modular jack has black spring wire,
and modular plug has one black contact.

Need gold connections.

Been there, wore out that t-shirt.

Got an outside line (POTS/DSL) from my point-of-access (PA) to house.
Couldn't find a single line long enough so connected two lines with
dbl-female union. Over the last Spring, lost both phone and internet
connectivity several times.

Yesterday for the first time, there was scratchiness on the phone,
though that had gone away before I fiddled with this jack.

If your NID has a disconnect jack, you could plug in a phone there to
see if there's any problem outside your own wiring.

My phone wiring is so old that there's not even a disconnect plug at the
service entrance. I think it's two insulated wires twisted around each
other. I could use a browser to get a GIU interface with my DSL modem.
It kept a record of what it measured when I dialed up. That showed me
that my old wiring handled the frequencies very well.

There were intermittent problems on voice and DSL. I disconnected my
home wiring at the NID, clipped a jumper across the ends, and used a
meter to find any resistance in the system. There was a little
resistance where a spade terminal of the wall jack screwed down. I
cleaned that up.

Intermittent scratchiness continued for years. One morning it was
especially bad. When I phoned to report it, they said they'd have it
fixed in 24 hours. When I phoned from a neighbor's an hour later to say
I'd lost service completely, they said a week.

I ordered cable. When the phone man showed up, he found that the phone
cable along the street was broken in two places. I'll bet they'd been
broken for years. By now, my neighbor had been without phone service
four days. The phone man told her he could have fixed it in five minutes
because he knew where her break was and his ladder was up, but that
would have been against company policy. She had to wait a few more days.

Cable gives me five times the speed for less than half the price of DSL.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-30, micky wrote:

But one modular jack has black spring wire,
and modular plug has one black contact.

Need gold connections.

Been there, wore out that t-shirt.

Got an outside line (POTS/DSL) from my point-of-access (PA) to house.
Couldn't find a single line long enough so connected two lines with
dbl-female union. Over the last Spring, lost both phone and internet
connectivity several times.

Yesterday for the first time, there was scratchiness on the phone,
though that had gone away before I fiddled with this jack.

If your NID has a disconnect jack, you could plug in a phone there to
see if there's any problem outside your own wiring.

This is the first time I can recall scratchiness in the phone, so I'm
not going to worry about it.

My phone wiring is so old that there's not even a disconnect plug at the
service entrance. I think it's two insulated wires twisted around each

You probably know that in most places, the phone company will put a NID
in for free.

other. I could use a browser to get a GIU interface with my DSL modem.
It kept a record of what it measured when I dialed up. That showed me
that my old wiring handled the frequencies very well.

No kidding? How would I do that?

There were intermittent problems on voice and DSL. I disconnected my
home wiring at the NID, clipped a jumper across the ends, and used a
meter to find any resistance in the system. There was a little
resistance where a spade terminal of the wall jack screwed down. I
cleaned that up.

Intermittent scratchiness continued for years. One morning it was
especially bad. When I phoned to report it, they said they'd have it
fixed in 24 hours. When I phoned from a neighbor's an hour later to say
I'd lost service completely, they said a week.

That was the Marine slogan. "Scratcihness we do immediately. No
service we take a week."

I ordered cable. When the phone man showed up, he found that the phone
cable along the street was broken in two places. I'll bet they'd been
broken for years. By now, my neighbor had been without phone service
four days. The phone man told her he could have fixed it in five minutes
because he knew where her break was and his ladder was up, but that
would have been against company policy. She had to wait a few more days.

Cable gives me five times the speed for less than half the price of DSL.

Glad to hear that.

It turns out instead of looking for gold-plated phone modular
connectors, there are screws inside the NID that I plan to use. That
will get rid of their modular connection and my own. and it won't get
moldy or whatever because it can be tightened down, compared to my wire
that blew in the wind. I don't know if slight moviement of the plug in
the jack would clean the connection or allow it to get dirty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If your NID has a disconnect jack, you could plug in a phone there to
see if there's any problem outside your own wiring.

This is the first time I can recall scratchiness in the phone, so I'm
not going to worry about it.

My phone wiring is so old that there's not even a disconnect plug at the
service entrance. I think it's two insulated wires twisted around each

You probably know that in most places, the phone company will put a NID
in for free.

I'm usually foggy about technical jargon, so I looked it up. An NID is
the box where home wiring connects to telco wiring. It may or may not
have a jack.

In 1996, I discovered that my phone electrode wasn't bonded to my power
electrode, 30 feet away. In 1998, lightning hit a tree 30 feet away. It
blew the "fuse" on the pole across the street, but my computer and phone
equipment were OK. I told the phone guy I thought the ground surge would
have wiped out my stuff if I hadn't bonded the electrodes.

For half an hour, he hemmed and hawed. Then he blurted it out. The
electrical code called for bonding, but it was against telco policy
because they didn't like replacing fuses.

I would have liked a jack, but I figured it would be dangerous to let a
company like that replace my NID.

other. I could use a browser to get a GIU interface with my DSL modem.
It kept a record of what it measured when I dialed up. That showed me
that my old wiring handled the frequencies very well.

No kidding? How would I do that?

For my current modem, I type the IP 192.168.100.1. Sometimes the modem
manual tells you the IP. In this case, I looked it up in Network in
System Preferences. The procedure to find the IP is probably a little
different in Windows.

It turns out instead of looking for gold-plated phone modular
connectors, there are screws inside the NID that I plan to use. That
will get rid of their modular connection and my own. and it won't get
moldy or whatever because it can be tightened down, compared to my wire
that blew in the wind. I don't know if slight moviement of the plug in
the jack would clean the connection or allow it to get dirty.

The one place I found resistance in my home wiring was in a screw-down
connection indoors. Grease should prevent that in a jack or a screw
connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message

For my current modem, I type the IP 192.168.100.1. Sometimes the modem
manual tells you the IP. In this case, I looked it up in Network in
System Preferences. The procedure to find the IP is probably a little
different in Windows.

I doubt the modem manual would tell the IP address as it is assigned by the
internet system. You may be thinking of the MAC number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/15 6:00 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message

For my current modem, I type the IP 192.168.100.1. Sometimes the modem
manual tells you the IP. In this case, I looked it up in Network in
System Preferences. The procedure to find the IP is probably a little
different in Windows.

I doubt the modem manual would tell the IP address as it is assigned by the
internet system. You may be thinking of the MAC number.

http://www.conniq.com/FAQ/lan-wan-ip-address.htm

The ISP assigns a WAN IP. To ask the modem, "How's it going?" the
computer uses the LAN IP.

If I ping my WAN IP, the signal will go to my ISP and back. If I just
want to ping my modem, I use the LAN IP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-30, micky wrote:

[...]

Typically NID is a little block grounding and lightning arrestor where
you punch in wires in/out. If you need connection to modular jack, you
punch in pig tail with modular plug. Micky, you always seem to have
weird one of a kind problems. Are you living in a vintage house full of
vintage stuffs? You have to move along with changing times. Keep on top
of new things, LOL! In my neighborhood all cables are under ground.
Nothing clutters or overhangs.
Only trees and one piece steel street light poles(not ugly wooden poles)
You live in U.S. of A. Not in a third world country some where.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message
On 7/31/15 6:00 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I doubt the modem manual would tell the IP address as it is assigned by
the
internet system. You may be thinking of the MAC number.

http://www.conniq.com/FAQ/lan-wan-ip-address.htm

The ISP assigns a WAN IP. To ask the modem, "How's it going?" the
computer uses the LAN IP.

If I ping my WAN IP, the signal will go to my ISP and back. If I just
want to ping my modem, I use the LAN IP.

Yea, just wasn't thinking about the local IP address.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/15 6:34 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Only trees and one piece steel street light poles(not ugly wooden poles)
You live in U.S. of A. Not in a third world country some where.

Street lights should be underground! I should know. I don't drive
drunk, but I once tried to walk while talking on a cell phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
On 7/31/15 6:34 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Only trees and one piece steel street light poles(not ugly wooden poles)
You live in U.S. of A. Not in a third world country some where.

Street lights should be underground! I should know. I don't drive
drunk, but I once tried to walk while talking on a cell phone.

Of course power cables are underground for the poles.
So you got big bump on your forehead?, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/15 10:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
J Burns wrote:
On 7/31/15 6:34 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Only trees and one piece steel street light poles(not ugly wooden poles)
You live in U.S. of A. Not in a third world country some where.

Street lights should be underground! I should know. I don't drive
drunk, but I once tried to walk while talking on a cell phone.

Of course power cables are underground for the poles.
So you got big bump on your forehead?, LOL!

If I'm talking to a lady, a sharp blow to the face could cause me to
lose my presence of mind and express displeasure in unrefined terms.

Heavy equipment has a beeper that sounds when it backs up. Light posts
should have beepers like that, for the safety of pedestrians with cell
phones!

It's been years since I tried talking on a cell phone while walking, but
I have been practicing with my cordless phone. I often go out to check
the rain gauge while on the phone. So far, I haven't walked into the
garage wall.

Neighbors give me strange looks when they saw me walking around,
apparently talking to myself. I need to paint my headset and cord bright
orange so they won't get the wrong impression.
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
[...]

I bumped into a pole when I was a kid walking and reading at the same
time. Then there wasn't any thing like cell phones. Colliding with pole
is better that falling into a manhole, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:34:40 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

It turns out instead of looking for gold-plated phone modular
connectors, there are screws inside the NID that I plan to use. That
will get rid of their modular connection and my own. and it won't get
moldy or whatever because it can be tightened down, compared to my wire
that blew in the w,

Typically NID is a little block grounding and lightning arrestor where
you punch in wires in/out.

Well, the punching's been done so what's left is the plugging and
screwing.

If you need connection to modular jack, you
punch in pig tail with modular plug.

Yeah, I had done that.

Micky, you always seem to have
weird one of a kind problems.

That't true. I don't want the same kind of problems everyone else has.
That would be like wearing the same tie or a woman wearing the same
dress as another. (Plus if I do have the same kind of problem, I have
already read about it here. New problems need answers more.)

Are you living in a vintage house full of
vintage stuffs?

Built in 1979.

You have to move along with changing times. Keep on top
of new things,

Great idea.

LOL! In my neighborhood all cables are under ground.
Nothing clutters or overhangs.

My neighborhood too. Who mentioned cables? I only mentioned the NID.

Only trees and one piece steel street light poles(not ugly wooden poles)

It's always good to hear how nice your neighborhood and house are.

You live in U.S. of A. Not in a third world country some where.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And you can get DSL with a dial-up internet connection

It kept a record of what it measured when I dialed up.

Or is this a record of when you dial a phone call?

It also kept a record of what it measured when you dialed up. How do
you see the record? Is it on the "web page" or the "page" that displays
when you use your web-browser to go to 192.168.100.1 ?

I've wondered about whether one can get DSL when he has dial-up
internet. Is that what you have? When I got DSL, it was always on
and didn't need me to make a connection, and at first I just assumed it
was always like that.

That showed me
that my old wiring handled the frequencies very well.

No kidding? How would I do that?

For my current modem, I type the IP 192.168.100.1. Sometimes the modem
manual tells you the IP. In this case, I looked it up in Network in
System Preferences. The procedure to find the IP is probably a little
different in Windows.

It turns out instead of looking for gold-plated phone modular
connectors, there are screws inside the NID that I plan to use. That
will get rid of their modular connection and my own.

This shows how confused I was. There was no chance of getting rid of
*their* modular connection. I misunderstood which wires were going
out and which were going in, which from the customer part and which from
the phone company part of the nid. So I spend 30 minutes yesterday,
cleaning and connnecting to the two screws, but I had unplugged the
modular plug to plug in a phone (right there) in case I got a call, and
it didn't work (because the modular plug was unplugged). and I put it
back the way it was.

I stuffed the surface mount jack inside the NID so it will be even
dryer now, and it all clean now and should last 5 years, but next day
that's not too hot, I'll connect it to the screws as I intended.

I didn't have a small wire brush so I used a pointed automobile battery
clamp wire brush and it did a good job on both the jack and the plug.

I wonder if the jack and plug in the NID are gold-plated.

and it won't get
moldy or whatever because it can be tightened down, compared to my wire
that blew in the wind. I don't know if slight moviement of the plug in
the jack would clean the connection or allow it to get dirty.

The one place I found resistance in my home wiring was in a screw-down
connection indoors. Grease should prevent that in a jack or a screw
connection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/15 4:39 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:22:07 -0400, J Burns

other. I could use a browser to get a GIU interface with my DSL modem.

And you can get DSL with a dial-up internet connection

I had a browser interface with DSL. After all these years, I'm not sure
what information I could get from a dialup modem.

It kept a record of what it measured when I dialed up.

Or is this a record of when you dial a phone call?

No.

It also kept a record of what it measured when you dialed up. How do
you see the record? Is it on the "web page" or the "page" that displays
when you use your web-browser to go to 192.168.100.1 ?

It's in the form of a website with several pages. It's not the worldwide
web. Instead of coming through my ISP, it comes directly from my modem.

AT&T sent me a CD to automate the installation of my modem. Without the
CD, I could have set it up through the browser interface.

I've wondered about whether one can get DSL when he has dial-up
internet. Is that what you have? When I got DSL, it was always on
and didn't need me to make a connection, and at first I just assumed it
was always like that.

I guess I left dialup about 10 years ago and DSL about 4 years ago, so
I'm a little foggy. The browser interface was with my DSL modem. What
model modem do you have? What version of Windows?

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
[...]

I've done that sort of thing when I found myself in a very dark room and
thought I could navigate by memory. I had to choose between a luminous
compass and a headlamp. I chose the headlamp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 2 Aug 2015 20:19:09 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

On 8/1/15 4:39 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

I don't remember. ;-(

What version of Windows?

XP. I'll upgrade eventually. But on a good day the XP works
exceeedingly well.

On another topic, drip loops, since the opening to the NID is at the
bottom, the new setup has a drip loop automatically.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I guess I left dialup about 10 years ago and DSL about 4 years ago, so
I'm a little foggy. The browser interface was with my DSL modem. What
model modem do you have?

I don't remember. ;-(

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/r...68_2_1_def.htm

This page says 192.168.2.1 is a common address for your modem console.
It may have been the address my DSL modem used. My current modem uses
another number.

What version of Windows?

XP. I'll upgrade eventually. But on a good day the XP works
exceeedingly well.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/findaddrwinxp.htm

This may explain how to find your modem's private IP from XP. On a Mac,
my modem's private IP is listed as "router."

On another topic, drip loops, since the opening to the NID is at the
bottom, the new setup has a drip loop automatically.

Drip loops remind me of ditching a tent. In wet winter weather, my BIL's
goats used to live in mud in their hillside sheds. It couldn't have been
healthful. I solved it in minutes by scraping a ditch on the uphill side
of each shed, as I would with a tent. No more mud inside!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I guess I left dialup about 10 years ago and DSL about 4 years ago, so
I'm a little foggy. The browser interface was with my DSL modem. What
model modem do you have?

I don't remember. ;-(

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/r...68_2_1_def.htm

This page says 192.168.2.1 is a common address for your modem console.
It may have been the address my DSL modem used. My current modem uses
another number.

What version of Windows?

XP. I'll upgrade eventually. But on a good day the XP works
exceeedingly well.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/findaddrwinxp.htm

I'll read it. Tanks.

This may explain how to find your modem's private IP from XP. On a Mac,
my modem's private IP is listed as "router."

On another topic, drip loops, since the opening to the NID is at the
bottom, the new setup has a drip loop automatically.

Drip loops remind me of ditching a tent. In wet winter weather, my BIL's
goats used to live in mud in their hillside sheds. It couldn't have been
healthful. I solved it in minutes by scraping a ditch on the uphill side
of each shed, as I would with a tent. No more mud inside!

I'm sure they appreciated it. As much as a goat can.

Seriously, a good idea.