Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sunken living room - help!

We recently had new laminate floors put in our living room. It is a
sunken living room (about 2 inches lower) and the carpet that we just took
out extended up the wall two inches and then had a 2 inch simple baseboard
above that...so, carpet floor, carpet up the wall for 2 inches, 2 inch
baseboard, then painted wall.

We hired someone to do the floor because I knew our floor needed a lot of
help with leveling (concrete work). We asked them to take care of the 2
inch space by putting up a 4 inch baseboard, but once they pulled the
carpet up, there were a lot of problems that made it really difficult.

1. Under the 'wall carpet' was just concrete
2. Instead of uniform all around the room, on 2 walls, the concrete is
recessed from the current 2 inch baseboard, and on 2 walls it is
completely uneven...it goes from being recessed to having the concrete
come out an inch past the current baseboard.
3. All of the concrete is completely uneven and bumpy.

The company that did our floors said there was nothing they could do so
they just left it. It looks terrible and the laminate edges are just
hanging out against the wall with an inch gap between the laminate and
the wall.

My husband thinks we should just try to match the color of the laminate
and paint it so we can draw attention away from it. I feel like we need
to make it better, but I have no idea how to fix it. I tried to just set
the 4 inch baseboard up against the more uniform wall, but even that is
super wavy....it lines up with the current baseboard but then is an inch
below it by the end of the wall.

Not sure if all this makes sense but if anyone has any ideas or advice,
we'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Sunken living room cln Home Repair 8 September 11th 07 01:53 PM
HELP LIVING ROOM NEEDS TO BE A BEDROOM!!!! [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 7th 07 05:35 PM
Opinion on sunken living room [email protected] Home Repair 14 May 15th 07 07:34 PM
Sunken family room edee em Home Repair 4 January 27th 07 07:09 PM
So, how many sockets in a living room? Jeff Sheard UK diy 54 February 21st 05 09:02 PM