Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

Default Sunken living room

As my previous post mentioned, our sunken living room is 6'2" and
finishing that basement room would not give me much head room. Ceiling
1" floor 1", I stand 6'1"!! I'm going to convert this room to a home
theatre in that case I'll be sitting in that room instead of... well
anything else!

It's a concrete floor so I can't go down. Could I somehow reinforce
the living room floor studs and cut off a few inches?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"cln" wrote in message
ups.com...

As my previous post mentioned, our sunken living room is 6'2" and
finishing that basement room would not give me much head room. Ceiling
1" floor 1", I stand 6'1"!! I'm going to convert this room to a home
theatre in that case I'll be sitting in that room instead of... well
anything else!

It's a concrete floor so I can't go down. Could I somehow reinforce
the living room floor studs and cut off a few inches?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

What????

I think that he means reinforce the floor joists and then rip
a few inches off the bottom.

If that is what the OP meant, then yes, that is possible,
depending upon what you have now and how much you want to take
off. Since I don't know the spans involved or the joist
depth, or spacing, I cannot even begin to answer your question.

If you plan to do this, I see steel beams in your future.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 3:29 pm, cln wrote:
As my previous post mentioned, our sunken living room is 6'2" and
finishing that basement room would not give me much head room. Ceiling
1" floor 1", I stand 6'1"!! I'm going to convert this room to a home
theatre in that case I'll be sitting in that room instead of... well
anything else!

It's a concrete floor so I can't go down. Could I somehow reinforce
the living room floor studs and cut off a few inches?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Find an engineer to calculate structural requirements and a contractor
to price concrete removal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 8:19?pm, " wrote:
On Sep 10, 3:29 pm, cln wrote:

As my previous post mentioned, our sunken living room is 6'2" and
finishing that basement room would not give me much head room. Ceiling
1" floor 1", I stand 6'1"!! I'm going to convert this room to a home
theatre in that case I'll be sitting in that room instead of... well
anything else!

It's a concrete floor so I can't go down. Could I somehow reinforce
the living room floor studs and cut off a few inches?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Find an engineer to calculate structural requirements and a contractor
to price concrete removal.

concete removal is way better choice and avoids issues at home resale
time......

future buyers will want structural analysis of any cutting studs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cln" wrote in message

Could I somehow reinforce
the living room floor studs and cut off a few inches?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

You need a mohel. He can cut off a couple of inches easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"cln" wrote in message
Could I somehow reinforce
the living room floor studs and cut off a few inches?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

You need a mohel. He can cut off a couple of inches easily.

Did you mean "moyel"? Bris? OUCH!!

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message

You need a mohel. He can cut off a couple of inches easily.

Did you mean "moyel"? Bris? OUCH!!

[8~{} Uncle Monster

No, I meant mohel, but yes, bris.

I see it spelled moyel too, but not being Jewish or having studies Hebrew
I'm not sure how/when/if the spelling got changed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cln,

It's a concrete floor so I can't go down.

Why not? If you can't rent an air hammer you can break the floor up with
a sledge.

Before you do anything I think you need to consult with a civil engineer.

Dave M.

HELP LIVING ROOM NEEDS TO BE A BEDROOM!!!! [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 7th 07 05:35 PM
Opinion on sunken living room [email protected] Home Repair 14 May 15th 07 07:34 PM
Sunken family room edee em Home Repair 4 January 27th 07 07:09 PM
Adding a 2nd Radiator in the Living Room Kevin UK diy 1 June 1st 06 11:08 PM
So, how many sockets in a living room? Jeff Sheard UK diy 54 February 21st 05 09:02 PM