Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HELP LIVING ROOM NEEDS TO BE A BEDROOM!!!!

I have a front living room i am not currently using. I would like to
make it a bedroom, at minimal costs, meaing, I don't need a closet,
just I need something of a barrier between the livingroom doorway from
the front hallway and then the other door from livingroom to dinning
room.

the first door way is normal size, but the second is more of an
oversized doorway.

I would prefer to do something not that perminment so when we no
longer have the guest I can use it like a livingroom, but able to give
our "roommate their privacy when they are here"

what type of doors would be best for this situation or any other
creative ideas I would appreciate.

thanks!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a front living room i am not currently using. I would like to
make it a bedroom, at minimal costs, meaing, I don't need a closet,
just I need something of a barrier between the livingroom doorway from
the front hallway and then the other door from livingroom to dinning
room.

the first door way is normal size, but the second is more of an
oversized doorway.

I would prefer to do something not that perminment so when we no
longer have the guest I can use it like a livingroom, but able to give
our "roommate their privacy when they are here"

what type of doors would be best for this situation or any other
creative ideas I would appreciate.

thanks!!!

How about the tall dividers used between cubicles in offices, or the easily
moveable walls used at trade shows?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

I would prefer to do something not that perminment so when we no
longer have the guest I can use it like a livingroom, but able to give
our "roommate their privacy when they are here"

You can frame it with 2 x 4's and sheetrock. Don't go crazy with the nails
and it will come out easily with minimal damage. It need not be overly
strong since it is not structural, just has to support a pre-hung door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 11:41 am, wrote:

what type of doors would be best for this situation or any other
creative ideas I would appreciate.

As others have mentioned, framing in a pre-hung door would provide the
most privacy, both visual and sound-blocking.

If you're only concerned about the visual aspects, and not so much
about the sound-blocking, you might consider hanging some sort of
vertical mini-blinds across the openings to the living room. Easy to
put up now, easy to take down later.

If your guest needs a phone in their room, if it's not practical to
run a new phone wire, you can always connect a cordless phone to an
existing jack.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:41:55 -0000, wrote:

I have a front living room i am not currently using. I would like to
make it a bedroom, at minimal costs, meaing, I don't need a closet,
just I need something of a barrier between the livingroom doorway from
the front hallway and then the other door from livingroom to dinning
room.

We were three roommates in a two bedroom apartment, and we had a
harder situation than yours. To go from the hall to the kitchen, we
had to go through a corner of the dining room, which was one guy's
room, then left into the kitchen.

The guy in the dining room put in free-standing bookshelves taller
than we were that made a very good wall, plain on the hall side and
full of books on his side.

He only put a curtain for the doorway.

If you don't have enough books, they have them for 10 cents a piece at
the Baltimore County Library surplus sales, some really good books
too. (I think they should enlarge the buildings and build more
shelves, but they don't listen to me.)

the first door way is normal size, but the second is more of an
oversized doorway.

I would prefer to do something not that perminment so when we no
longer have the guest I can use it like a livingroom, but able to give
our "roommate their privacy when they are here"

what type of doors would be best for this situation or any other
creative ideas I would appreciate.

thanks!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks for the great ideas. I think I am leaving toward framing in
the one doorway by the front hallway, and maybe doing th bookshelve
storage devise and place in fron t of the dining room door way. she
will need a "closet" so that would be a good place to but a free
standing wardrobe of somesorts!!!