Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sunken family room

I have a sunken family room (by design). On one of the exterior walls I am
getting a lot of cold air either convecting or blowing in. I am kind of
confused as to the sources as I recently completed my basement and insulated
the joist cavities at the rim joist pretty well (foam insulation glued to
the rim joist).

I am thinking that perhaps the design of the sunken floor has left a cold
zone that I didn't see at the time and therefore didn't insulate.

Anyone have any experience with framing a sunken floor that might give me
some insight as to what to look for. From what I can see/remember, the
foundation wall is the same height all around the house meaning that they
didn't lower the foundation to create the sunken family room.

Looking forward to your thoughts...

--
Edee Em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me guess... you're favourite book is The DaVinci Code???

"terry" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

.
Cold air sinks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think what Terry was trying to tell you is that cold air falls
and feels like a draft. Do you have large expanses of glass on
the outside wall? The draft effect will be even more noticeable
if you have a fire place in the equation as it constantly pulls
inside air and sends it up the chimney. Is there a basement under
the sunken living room? I would consider that a bit unusual. How
sunken? 2 risers would be about 14-15 ".

If my guesses fit, there are several things to consider:
thermal full length curtains
better windows
provide alternate combustion air to fireplace
digging down and insulating the exterior of the footing, but this
will demand more study.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"edee em" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I see what you are saying: let me clarify. I understand that cold air
falls but the cold I'm feeling is beyond a feeling of cold air falling. The
walls are very cold at the bottom as if the air was coming in through the
sill plate.

The wall I'm talking about does have a window on it and the fireplace is
on another wall but it is blocked off (had the chimney capped a few years
back). The cold air I'm feeling is more pronounced at the bottom of the
wall in question as if it were coming in from the sill plate. The
electrical outlet on the wall is very cold.

The room is sunken one riser (about 7"). And, yes, there is a basement
below. But as I mentioned I finished the basement and that part of the
remodel is a bathroom with insulation in the ceiling and the rim joist
insulate very tightly with rigid foam.

Thoughts?

Thanks