Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Sunken family room

I think what Terry was trying to tell you is that cold air falls
and feels like a draft. Do you have large expanses of glass on
the outside wall? The draft effect will be even more noticeable
if you have a fire place in the equation as it constantly pulls
inside air and sends it up the chimney. Is there a basement under
the sunken living room? I would consider that a bit unusual. How
sunken? 2 risers would be about 14-15 ".

If my guesses fit, there are several things to consider:
thermal full length curtains
better windows
provide alternate combustion air to fireplace
digging down and insulating the exterior of the footing, but this
will demand more study.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"edee em" wrote in message
I have a sunken family room (by design). On one of the exterior
walls I am getting a lot of cold air either convecting or blowing
in. I am kind of confused as to the sources as I recently
completed my basement and insulated the joist cavities at the rim
joist pretty well (foam insulation glued to the rim joist).

I am thinking that perhaps the design of the sunken floor has
left a cold zone that I didn't see at the time and therefore
didn't insulate.

Anyone have any experience with framing a sunken floor that
might give me some insight as to what to look for. From what I
can see/remember, the foundation wall is the same height all
around the house meaning that they didn't lower the foundation
to create the sunken family room.

Looking forward to your thoughts...

--
Edee Em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in....