Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opinion on sunken living room

My house is 3br on a slab with a big kitchen/dining area where the
dining area opens to a sunken great room. The great room has a
fireplace and is very 70's (decoration ceiling beams, popcorn ceiling,
painted-over wood panelling, etc). The carpet is bad. The great room
is sunken 10 inches. We are considering raising the sunken floor to
be level with the dining room and installing a hardwood floor. There
are no windows and only an old patio door which could be easily raised
when it is replaced due to its location.

Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it to update the look, or is
this kind of thing still marketable? I am getting mixed opinions all
around. Some people like them and others think it's a dated look and
would be a sticking point for those who would have elderly visitors.

I think the ceiling height will still be ok, especially after the
beams are removed.

Instead of raising the floor, we could just do other things to update
the look like removing the panelling and installing the hardwood floor
on the slab as it is.

Just a slow burn process on figuring out what direction to go with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
The great room
is sunken 10 inches. We are considering raising the sunken floor to
be level with the dining room and installing a hardwood floor. There
are no windows and only an old patio door which could be easily raised
when it is replaced due to its location.

Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it to update the look, or is
this kind of thing still marketable?

My biggest concern is the 10" of lost headroom. Beams aside, what is the
clearance now? If it is in line with the rest of hte ceilings on that
level, it will be OK, but if it is going to be short, it may look strange,
feel claustrophobic, and perhaps not meet code. Check that before you take
the next step. Otherwise, updating is a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 12:35 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

The great room
is sunken 10 inches. We are considering raising the sunken floor to
be level with the dining room and installing a hardwood floor. There
are no windows and only an old patio door which could be easily raised
when it is replaced due to its location.

Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it to update the look, or is
this kind of thing still marketable?

My biggest concern is the 10" of lost headroom. Beams aside, what is the
clearance now? If it is in line with the rest of hte ceilings on that
level, it will be OK, but if it is going to be short, it may look strange,
feel claustrophobic, and perhaps not meet code. Check that before you take
the next step. Otherwise, updating is a good idea.

While they may not be as popular as they once were, I still see sunken
great rooms in some new
construction. Unless you personally don't like it, I wouldn't be
spending money to
change it on theories as to what other people may or may not like.
Plus, what's popular is
constantly changing. By the time you're ready to sell, things could
change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 3:51�pm, wrote:
On Apr 13, 12:35 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

change.- Hide quoted text -

what about the fireplace?

if you or yours are older being rid of the step will be a big positive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
My house is 3br on a slab with a big kitchen/dining area where the
dining area opens to a sunken great room. The great room has a
fireplace and is very 70's (decoration ceiling beams, popcorn ceiling,
painted-over wood panelling, etc). The carpet is bad. The great room
is sunken 10 inches. We are considering raising the sunken floor to
be level with the dining room and installing a hardwood floor. There
are no windows and only an old patio door which could be easily raised
when it is replaced due to its location.

Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it to update the look, or is
this kind of thing still marketable?

I snipped the rest because the issue of marketability is what I will
address. Home improvement costs can sometimes be recaptured. The best
choices a

1/ Repairs of unsightly wear and damage.
2/ Painting
3/ Carpeting
4/ Landscaping

The above list, when judiciously applied, will often generate a positive
effect: more increase in the selling price than the total cost of the
improvements.

Other improvements tend to be negative: less increase in the selling price
than the total cost of the improvements.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 13, 12:27 pm, "
wrote:
My house is 3br on a slab with a big kitchen/dining area where the
dining area opens to a sunken great room. The great room has a
fireplace and is very 70's (decoration ceiling beams, popcorn ceiling,
painted-over wood panelling, etc). The carpet is bad. The great room
is sunken 10 inches. We are considering raising the sunken floor to
be level with the dining room and installing a hardwood floor

snip

Is it possible that the ten inch drop in floor level is what is
bugging you? The normal step height that people find comfortable is 7
inches. In your case, two 5 inch steps can cause an unwary guest to
falter. Might be kind of neat to raise most of the floor (hardwood, of
course) 3 inches and leave a modest area around the fireplace as it
is. The apparent lower ceiling then would not be an issue at all and
would look rather nice without faux beams and popcorn texture. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You think the ceiling height will be ok?

For someone that has this dream of raising a floor and installing
hardwood, you would "think" they would have enough sense to buy a tape
measure and find out if their dream is even feasible.

You're stuck in the 70's, and your home sounds like a dump. Get off your
lazy butt, and at least get rid of the **** soaked carpet, and slap some
paint around.

Don't worry about a large project, when you won't take the time to do
the small projects.

If you wait long enough, in the slow burn process, I'm sure they'll have
you 6' under, before you lift a finger to clean that rat trap up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Charles Schuler
says...

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Yeah.. I don't think that the living room is sunken is nearly as big an issue as
the carpets, etc., as far as saleability. Heck, I remember and enjoyed sunken
living rooms - adds some interest to the house. Why make it a plain old level
floor?

How long will they be in the house? By the time they sell, sunken floors may be
back in appeal. The real question would be whether or not *they* like the
setup.

I'd keep it unless I personally didn't like it. And put the money into the
other aspects of the space.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 Apr 2007 06:29:37 -0700, Banty wrote:

How long will they be in the house? By the time they sell, sunken floors may be
back in appeal. The real question would be whether or not *they* like the
setup.

Under the White House press room is a swimming pool. Maybe the OP
could do something like that.

I think the pool was put in for FDR, for therapy for his polio.

I'd keep it unless I personally didn't like it. And put the money into the
other aspects of the space.

Maybe a sunken ceiling, or a bloated roof.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 9:44 pm, "Ken B." none.com wrote:
For someone that has this dream of raising a floor and installing
hardwood, you would "think" they would have enough sense to buy a tape
measure and find out if their dream is even feasible.

Feasible and a good idea are two different things.

You're stuck in the 70's,

I'm stuck in the 70's because I'm asking how others would update a
home from the 70's?

and your home sounds like a dump.

Yup, it's a dump all right, that's how I got it 30k under comps.

Don't worry about a large project, when you won't take the time to do
the small projects.

The small projects will nickle and dime you to death if you're doing
them over later because you didn't plan ahead.

If you wait long enough, in the slow burn process, I'm sure they'll have
you 6' under, before you lift a finger to clean that rat trap up.

Feel better now? HAND, troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 8:29 am, Banty wrote:

Yeah.. I don't think that the living room is sunken is nearly as big an issue as
the carpets, etc., as far as saleability. Heck, I remember and enjoyed sunken
living rooms - adds some interest to the house. Why make it a plain old level
floor?

How long will they be in the house? By the time they sell, sunken floors may be
back in appeal. The real question would be whether or not *they* like the
setup.

True, and it doesn't bother me personally. The room will probably
look a lot better after the wood panelling and such is out. I guess
if someone has a problem with the drop, they can put in a ramp. The
drop moving from room to room is actually 6 inches, 10 is from ground
to top of slab, I brain farted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need to see whats under those bad carpets in there.

As for the sunked livingroom, I dont think i'd change it.

Others have said on here that its a matter of taste and those
change all the time. If you want to put in beams to raise the floor
it can certainly be done. As long as the ceiling is all the same
hight
and the fireplace is safely above the bottom of the new floor you
should be
ok.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 1:20 pm, Lar wrote:

Stress cracks in sunken room, it could even be a separate pour of
concrete than the rest of the slab, is a common entry area for termites.
When you remove the carpet check the floor where it drops down,
especially at the base of the fireplace and if cracks are found or if it
is a separate pour, treating those areas before the wood floor is put
down can save you some headaches (heartaches) of having to drill through
or remove the hardwood to treat below it later.

There are visible cracks in the part we pulled up which I intended to
concrete caulk closed, but preemptively treating for termites is not
something I would have thought of. Thank you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 1:27 pm, "
wrote:
We are considering raising the sunken floor to
be level with the dining room and installing a hardwood floor. There
are no windows and only an old patio door which could be easily raised
when it is replaced due to its location.

Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it to update the look, or is
this kind of thing still marketable? I am getting mixed opinions all
around. Some people like them and others think it's a dated look and
would be a sticking point for those who would have elderly visitors.

FYI, I just purchased a home built in the 60s, a 3br 1-1/2 ba ranch
with a sunken living room. It had been on the market for a year. The
realtor remarked that if it had not had the sunken living room, it
would have sold much sooner and for the original price (20K more). It
dates the house and makes it difficult for us older people to
navigate. Another house that I looked at was a raised ranch - these
are having a very difficult time in this market, again because of the
changes in the floor levels. Same with splits.

How exactly would you raise the floor? Build another floor on top of
the existing joists? I want to do something like this but save the
existing hardwood.

problem with small living room normalroom Home Repair 1 April 4th 07 09:10 PM
Sunken family room edee em Home Repair 4 January 27th 07 07:09 PM
Will my sofa fit through my living room door? [email protected] UK diy 91 March 1st 06 10:58 PM
Simple living room design software [email protected] UK diy 1 May 13th 05 02:04 PM
So, how many sockets in a living room? Jeff Sheard UK diy 54 February 21st 05 09:02 PM