Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opinion on sunken living room

On Apr 13, 12:35 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

The great room
is sunken 10 inches. We are considering raising the sunken floor to
be level with the dining room and installing a hardwood floor. There
are no windows and only an old patio door which could be easily raised
when it is replaced due to its location.

Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it to update the look, or is
this kind of thing still marketable?

My biggest concern is the 10" of lost headroom. Beams aside, what is the
clearance now? If it is in line with the rest of hte ceilings on that
level, it will be OK, but if it is going to be short, it may look strange,
feel claustrophobic, and perhaps not meet code. Check that before you take
the next step. Otherwise, updating is a good idea.

While they may not be as popular as they once were, I still see sunken
great rooms in some new
construction. Unless you personally don't like it, I wouldn't be
spending money to
change it on theories as to what other people may or may not like.
Plus, what's popular is
constantly changing. By the time you're ready to sell, things could
change.