Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Did anyone here preview Windows 10?

Today:

Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 via a notice suggesting
you reserve a copy.

On Monday, the software giant announced that Windows 10 will
officially roll out July 29.

Mo

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Now I have a new icon on the task bar. Still undecided.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Today:

Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 via a notice suggesting
you reserve a copy.

On Monday, the software giant announced that Windows 10 will
officially roll out July 29.

Mo

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Now I have a new icon on the task bar. Still undecided.

I previewed the preview.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2015 11:23 AM, Oren wrote:
Today:

Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 via a notice suggesting
you reserve a copy.

On Monday, the software giant announced that Windows 10 will
officially roll out July 29.

Mo

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Now I have a new icon on the task bar. Still undecided.

I can see undecided if you have W7 If you have W8, it would be better
to go back to DOS than 8. Even a Commodore 20 would be better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2015 11:23 AM, Oren wrote:
Today:

Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 via a notice suggesting
you reserve a copy.

On Monday, the software giant announced that Windows 10 will
officially roll out July 29.

Mo

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Now I have a new icon on the task bar. Still undecided.

See we will have a year to update.

My computer came with Win 8 and update to 8.1 was said to be free for a
year so I thought I'd wait several months til they got bugs out.

Did not happen and they updated without me asking.

Things I did not like about Win 8/8.1 but system works well for me.

Biggest complaint is that they want to guide you into their ap store to
buy stuff. Games like Minesweeper that came with windows before must be
obtained as a free ap that has ads and they want you to pay maybe a
$1/month to keep them ad free.

Basically it appears to me that MS wants to enter the market like Apple
and Android and give free OS but afterwards nickel and dime you to make
more money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

I say "**** you Micro**** and your hole dam chamily."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 8:23:29 AM UTC-7, Oren wrote:
Today:

Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 via a notice suggesting
you reserve a copy.

On Monday, the software giant announced that Windows 10 will
officially roll out July 29.

Mo

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Now I have a new icon on the task bar. Still undecided.

I have three computers: two with Vista and one with Windows 98SE. All are working perfectly fine for me and no need to downgrade to Win 10 which is just bloatware anyway IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Biggest complaint is that they want to guide you into their ap store to
| buy stuff. Games like Minesweeper that came with windows before must be
| obtained as a free ap that has ads and they want you to pay maybe a
| $1/month to keep them ad free.
|
| Basically it appears to me that MS wants to enter the market like Apple
| and Android and give free OS but afterwards nickel and dime you to make
| more money.

That's exactly it, and they're not making
any secret of it. They want to sell services.
Win10 will undoubtedly be more of Win8 --
an increasing push toward a services portal,
selling apps, games, online services.... and
tracking everything you do. MS will no longer
be the tech company selling software. They'll
be the middleman, selling customers to app
developers and advertisers.

Apple and Google are already taking over
with the cellphones and tablets. Microsoft
saw how much money Apple was making
selling things like music and apps. Cellphones
and tablets are also much more locked down
than PCs are. It's a captive, addicted audience.
There have been numerous articles about the
spying and tracking done via cellphone, with
little control over it by the end-user.

The biggest difference with
Microsoft is that they have a different market.
Nearly all of their income comes from sales
of MS Office and Windows to business. They've
mostly failed at everything else they do,
including tablets and phones. So with Win8 they
tried to just transfer that business customer
base, as well as PC owners in general, over
to their fledgeling services business by forcing
people to boot into Metro. For the most part
that backfired, not least of all because Metro
doesn't really have anything to offer.

With Win10 they hope to extend the services
approach further, without alienating people, and
without losing their business customers. The
business version, for instance, will allow IT people
to wait for updates and it will allow staying easily
in the actual Windows computer UI without having
to use Metro, so that office people can do their work.
The general version of Windows will be less flexible,
not allowing one to blocking Windows Update, for
instance.
Win10 will be what they want you to do and buy,
not what you want to use. Most people enable
Windows Update now (though personally I never
have). But enabling it vs having no choice defines
a fundamental difference in what the actual
product is. It's the difference between buying a
TV set and buying something like a Verizon
entertainment center that only allows you to view
broadcasting created or approved by Verizon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 1:34:19 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
| Biggest complaint is that they want to guide you into their ap store to
| buy stuff. Games like Minesweeper that came with windows before must be
| obtained as a free ap that has ads and they want you to pay maybe a
| $1/month to keep them ad free.
|
| Basically it appears to me that MS wants to enter the market like Apple
| and Android and give free OS but afterwards nickel and dime you to make
| more money.

That's exactly it,

I have an Android phone. How exactly is Google nickel and
diming me? Rest of conspiracy rant deleted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mayayana wrote:

The general version of Windows will be less flexible,
not allowing one to blocking Windows Update, for
instance.

That alone is a deal breaker.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 14:25:30 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Mayayana wrote:

The general version of Windows will be less flexible,
not allowing one to blocking Windows Update, for
instance.

How certain are you? I take it you did not test the preview as I asked
about.

That alone is a deal breaker.

Now sure the poster is correct. The preview version prevented
control of updates, I think, as I did not try the preview. Why would
the RTM release prevent it?

See:

http://media.askvg.com/articles/images5/Configure_Automatic_Updates_Options.png

Article: _How to Change Windows Update Settings When Managed or
Disabled by System Administrator?_

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-windows-update-settings-when-managed-or-disabled-by-system-administrator/

https://tinyurl.com/oclo5u6

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2015 1:38 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 1:34:19 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
| Biggest complaint is that they want to guide you into their ap store to
| buy stuff. Games like Minesweeper that came with windows before must be
| obtained as a free ap that has ads and they want you to pay maybe a
| $1/month to keep them ad free.
|
| Basically it appears to me that MS wants to enter the market like Apple
| and Android and give free OS but afterwards nickel and dime you to make
| more money.

That's exactly it,

I have an Android phone. How exactly is Google nickel and
diming me? Rest of conspiracy rant deleted.

I have a cheap Android tablet and stuff keeps popping up to direct me to
ap store or somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote in message
| Biggest complaint is that they want to guide you into their ap store to
| buy stuff. Games like Minesweeper that came with windows before must be
| obtained as a free ap that has ads and they want you to pay maybe a
| $1/month to keep them ad free.
|
| Basically it appears to me that MS wants to enter the market like Apple
| and Android and give free OS but afterwards nickel and dime you to make
| more money.

That's exactly it, and they're not making
any secret of it. They want to sell services.
Win10 will undoubtedly be more of Win8 --
an increasing push toward a services portal,
selling apps, games, online services.... and
tracking everything you do. MS will no longer
be the tech company selling software. They'll
be the middleman, selling customers to app
developers and advertisers.

Apple and Google are already taking over
with the cellphones and tablets. Microsoft
saw how much money Apple was making
selling things like music and apps. Cellphones
and tablets are also much more locked down
than PCs are. It's a captive, addicted audience.
There have been numerous articles about the
spying and tracking done via cellphone, with
little control over it by the end-user.

The biggest difference with
Microsoft is that they have a different market.
Nearly all of their income comes from sales
of MS Office and Windows to business. They've
mostly failed at everything else they do,
including tablets and phones. So with Win8 they
tried to just transfer that business customer
base, as well as PC owners in general, over
to their fledgeling services business by forcing
people to boot into Metro. For the most part
that backfired, not least of all because Metro
doesn't really have anything to offer.

With Win10 they hope to extend the services
approach further, without alienating people, and
without losing their business customers. The
business version, for instance, will allow IT people
to wait for updates and it will allow staying easily
in the actual Windows computer UI without having
to use Metro, so that office people can do their work.
The general version of Windows will be less flexible,
not allowing one to blocking Windows Update, for
instance.
Win10 will be what they want you to do and buy,
not what you want to use. Most people enable
Windows Update now (though personally I never
have). But enabling it vs having no choice defines
a fundamental difference in what the actual
product is. It's the difference between buying a
TV set and buying something like a Verizon
entertainment center that only allows you to view
broadcasting created or approved by Verizon.

That was most informative ^@^

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 6/1/2015 1:38 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 1:34:19 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
| Biggest complaint is that they want to guide you into their ap
store to
| buy stuff. Games like Minesweeper that came with windows before
must be
| obtained as a free ap that has ads and they want you to pay maybe a
| $1/month to keep them ad free.
|
| Basically it appears to me that MS wants to enter the market like
Apple
| and Android and give free OS but afterwards nickel and dime you to
make
| more money.

That's exactly it,

I have an Android phone. How exactly is Google nickel and
diming me? Rest of conspiracy rant deleted.

I have a cheap Android tablet and stuff keeps popping up to direct me to
ap store or somewhere.

You don't use adblocker? better use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 15:06:40 -0400, Frank "frank
wrote:

I have an Android phone. How exactly is Google nickel and
diming me? Rest of conspiracy rant deleted.

I have a cheap Android tablet and stuff keeps popping up to direct me to
ap store or somewhere.

Can't you turn it off on the phone? I have dumb phones, but without
turning off features they will tell or track your travels. (GPS)

I've seen you need to drill deep into security to turn stuff off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Mayayana wrote:

The general version of Windows will be less flexible,
not allowing one to blocking Windows Update, for
instance.

That alone is a deal breaker.

You can pick and choose according to your needs. Some
upgrades are needed, like one dealing with security issue.
If we are forced to upgrade things we don't want then
we can delete it even editing registry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 14:34:00 -0600, Tony Hwang

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 8:23:29 AM UTC-7, Oren wrote:
Today:

Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 via a notice suggesting
you reserve a copy.

On Monday, the software giant announced that Windows 10 will
officially roll out July 29.

Mo

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Now I have a new icon on the task bar. Still undecided.

I have three computers: two with Vista and one with Windows 98SE. All are working perfectly fine for me and no need to downgrade to Win 10 which is just bloatware anyway IMO.

Vista and 98SE may not be good candidate for upgrade. You may run into
device driver problems and some programs may not run any more. Your OSs
are too old. With luck you may go upto W7.

Sad that Vista doesn't get the option to upgrade to Win7 or Win10.

Vista is on my wife's machine. I can't stand it and it will cost me a
Reg Key to upgrade, though I have a Win7 SP1 ISO disk/DVD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 15:11:46 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Vista is on my wife's machine. I can't stand it and it will cost me a
Reg Key to upgrade, though I have a Win7 SP1 ISO disk/DVD

Well you can buy a legit W7 key for like 30.00. Worst case you will need
to register over the phone using the key. I have done it many times.

I'll spend the $30. Can you give a link? Thanks.

Her machine came with Vista but Win7 will run on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an Android phone. How exactly is Google nickel and
diming me? Rest of conspiracy rant deleted.

I have a cheap Android tablet and stuff keeps popping up to direct me to
ap store or somewhere.

Can't you turn it off on the phone? I have dumb phones, but without
turning off features they will tell or track your travels. (GPS)

I've seen you need to drill deep into security to turn stuff off.

Not a phone - tablet. Will have to look into adblocker as Tony suggests.

My phone is a dumb phone too and left off. Carry more as a security
blanket.

Tablets and smartphones are for those inhabitants of the Tiwitterverse.
Painful to try to enter more than a few lines of text or data.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 11:23:29 AM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
Today:

Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 via a notice suggesting
you reserve a copy.

On Monday, the software giant announced that Windows 10 will
officially roll out July 29.

Mo

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Now I have a new icon on the task bar. Still undecided.

I have two computers. This one uses Vista and the new one uses 8.1. I can manage the new one but it is not easy. I would like to know how to get a copy of Windows 7 to upgrade this one ... I do not want to purchase expensive soft ware. I took off all the "for lease" stuff like Office etc. on the new one and managed to install an old copy of Works 7 that does fine. I will download Windows 10 and see if I can learn how to use it. I'm an elderly retiree and I don't need or want most of the new programs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 15:44:45 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Now I have a new icon on the task bar. Still undecided.

I have two computers. This one uses Vista and the new one uses 8.1. I can manage the new one but it is not easy. I would like to know how to get a copy of Windows 7 to upgrade this one ... I do not want to purchase expensive soft ware. I took off all the "for lease" stuff like Office etc. on the new one and managed to install an old copy of Works 7 that does fine. I will download Windows 10 and see if I can learn how to use it. I'm an elderly retiree and I don't need or want most of the new programs.

Dottie,

Vista will not allow the free move to Win10. Pay for a Win7 Reg Key,
install Win7 SP1 (free) ISO and it will / you upgrade to Win 10
later. When time comes in late July.

You can make a Win7 DVD from these images - pick the right version and
use your purchased Win7 Reg Key. Then reserve Win10. (original post)

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

I have the DVD disk for my bride's Vista machine - BUT I need to buy a
REG Key. Win 7 and 8, 8.1 allows for the free Win10 install. See my
link if you are up to the challenge

7, 8 & 8.1 upgrades will be free for you for a full version of 10
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2015 6:44 PM, Dottie wrote:
[...]

In place of MS Office, install free Open Office and/or Libre Office.
Will allow reading and writing all documents.
MS gets cute in that docs from new issues can't be read in old ones and
very old docs cannot be read in new ones. Not so with the free ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Vista is on my wife's machine. I can't stand it and it will cost me a
Reg Key to upgrade, though I have a Win7 SP1 ISO disk/DVD

Well you can buy a legit W7 key for like 30.00. Worst case you will need
to register over the phone using the key. I have done it many times.

I'll spend the $30. Can you give a link? Thanks.

Her machine came with Vista but Win7 will run on it.

I'm interested to learn exactly what about vista that is intolerable
and fixed on win7?
Vista SP2 seems to be pretty much the same as win7???

Major reason I upgraded to win7 was to get support for 4 TV tuners.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Vista is on my wife's machine. I can't stand it and it will cost me a
Reg Key to upgrade, though I have a Win7 SP1 ISO disk/DVD

Well you can buy a legit W7 key for like 30.00. Worst case you will need
to register over the phone using the key. I have done it many times.

I'll spend the $30. Can you give a link? Thanks.

Her machine came with Vista but Win7 will run on it.

Here it is.
www.pay4vip.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 16:43:32 -0700, mike wrote:

I'm interested to learn exactly what about vista that is intolerable
and fixed on win7?
Vista SP2 seems to be pretty much the same as win7???

Major reason I upgraded to win7 was to get support for 4 TV tuners.

Perhaps you just answered your very own question?

Run Vista for those likening it. I pass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:
[...]

Two biggies on W10. Bluetooth, any Qualcomm stuff won't run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 16:43:32 -0700, mike wrote:

I'm interested to learn exactly what about vista that is intolerable
and fixed on win7?
Vista SP2 seems to be pretty much the same as win7???

Major reason I upgraded to win7 was to get support for 4 TV tuners.

Perhaps you just answered your very own question?

Run Vista for those likening it. I pass.

Vista is lame duck OS. Should never have been released.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I'm interested to learn exactly what about vista that is intolerable
| and fixed on win7?
| Vista SP2 seems to be pretty much the same as win7???

It is basically the same OS. They just polished
it up a bit. There were two big issues with Vista,
neither of which was really about the OS itself:

1) The Aero 3-D techno-kitsch Desktop was a new
level of bloat that required a new level of resources.
Microsoft notified the OEMs that they'd need to
have more powerful machines ready for the Vista
debut. Then Intel went to MS and told them they
had a big load of 915 chipsets that they needed
to get rid of, despite the fact that the 915 was
not Aero-capable. What followed was a very
confusing Vista debut, with some computers that
couldn't run Aero and others that could. Microsoft
tried to cover it up by coming out with 2 different
stickers that basically said the PCs were approved
for Vista. People were taking back the Vista-crippled
PCs. After all, wasn't Aero what the big hoopla was
all about? Why were they buying new Vista PCs if
those PCs didn't look like Vista? The general story
that developed was that Vista was faulty. But it
wasn't. It was all a mixup due to Microsoft selling
out their customers to help Intel dump some old
chipsets. (It was big news at the time, with an
expose of Microsoft insider emails in which the
top leadership at MS were arguing about the whole
thing.)

......So that was one issue....

2) User Account Control was a design disaster and
still is. Suddenly an Administrator was not really
an Administrator. Just as on XP, the default account
was an Admin. But an Admin was really a lackey.
So there were constant warnings saying either
"Are you sure you want to do that?" or "You
can't do that." Shutting off that mess of junk warnings
required secret tweaks that very few people knew
about. People who could barely manage to use a
computer in the first place were now baraged with
a constant series of unintelligible warnings, and
messages telling them they didn't have "permission"
to open their own files. Very confusing.

When Win7 came out they toned down UAC and
made it adjustable. No problems with Aero. Far fewer
warnings. After Vista it seemed like a step up.

WinME was a similar situation. It was almost exactly
the same as Win98. Just a few minor tweaks and a
new system of network communication. But Win98 is
remembered as a gem while Microsoft has erased
WinME from history.

A lot of it is probably connected with the tech
media, most of whom are lapdogs for Microsoft. Every
new Windows version is always an amazing leap forward
while the last version is outdated and not safe online.
But if the public doesn't go for it then they change
their tune and use that OS as a kind of fall guy.
WinME and Vista are the lemons that take the blame.
Technically that's nonsense. Win7 *had to be* good.
What choice did people have? Actually, Win7 was
very slow on the uptake. But then Win8 came along,
with Metro. It was soundly rejected by business and
confused other people. So now Win7 is the classic.

.....It's all more marketing than anything. But there are
some new things in every new version. And there are
people who need or want those new things. (Like USB
support in Win98.) It sounds like you were one of those
people. You needed Win7 for something particular. No
one needed it because Vista was somehow out of date.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to look up one or both of these
programs:

Start8 and Classic Shell

The seem to be popular as a way to remove the
Metro "giant buttons" interface and make Windows
boot to the Desktop with a Start Menu. That
might make Win8 more usable. Underneath it's
mostly just Win7 with the Metro mess tacked on
top.

I'm actually still using XP most of the time, and
Win7 for testing things. I tried the Win8 beta but
haven't used it since then, so I can't tell you
much about Start8 and Classic Shell. If you don't
feel comfortable doing the research and installing
one of those programs then you might ask around.
If you know people using Win8 then probably at
least one of them has blocked Metro and can help
you to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mayayana wrote:
You might want to look up one or both of these
programs:

Start8 and Classic Shell

The seem to be popular as a way to remove the
Metro "giant buttons" interface and make Windows
boot to the Desktop with a Start Menu. That
might make Win8 more usable. Underneath it's
mostly just Win7 with the Metro mess tacked on
top.

I'm actually still using XP most of the time, and
Win7 for testing things. I tried the Win8 beta but
haven't used it since then, so I can't tell you
much about Start8 and Classic Shell. If you don't
feel comfortable doing the research and installing
one of those programs then you might ask around.
If you know people using Win8 then probably at
least one of them has blocked Metro and can help
you to do it.

Classic shell can coexist with Metro. You can alternate
between two. W8 is memory hog but if you have like at least
8MB memory, it is working pretty good. All desktops or laptops
in my house has at least 8MB memory. All running W7 ultimate x64
except one XP Pro sp2 running my book keeping on Dell quad Xeon work
station. My own laptop ASUS ROG is triple boot, W7,w8 and Linux.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Microsoft removed Media Center from Windows 10. Media Center with CableCARD is awesome.
Windows 10 is useless and dead to me. I have until 2020 to figure out my next OS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/01/2015 11:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/1/2015 11:23 AM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

I can see undecided if you have W7 If you have W8, it would be better
to go back to DOS than 8. Even a Commodore 20 would be better.

"The world's first color computer for under $300", with 5K RAM.

--
"Putting a bone in one's nose is scarcely on the level of putting a man
on the moon" -- William A. Henry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/01/2015 11:13 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Biggest complaint is that they want to guide you into their ap store to
buy stuff. Games like Minesweeper that came with windows before must be
obtained as a free ap that has ads and they want you to pay maybe a
$1/month to keep them ad free.

That stuff is my main objection to Win 8 and later.

Basically it appears to me that MS wants to enter the market like Apple
and Android and give free OS but afterwards nickel and dime you to make
more money.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Jesus rose from the dead and the apostles came unto him saying "How's
Elvis?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 08:23:21 -0700, Oren wrote:

Today:

Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 via a notice suggesting
you reserve a copy.

You should do that, because it's made from rare ebony wood that grows
only on a peninsula in Malaysia.

If you buy it on CD, they are made only from oil from northern Chile.
Any other oil creates unresponsive scripts.

Once these are sold, it will take longer to get more than to get airbag
detonators for your Dodge Dart.

On Monday, the software giant announced that Windows 10 will
officially roll out July 29.

Mo

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Now I have a new icon on the task bar. Still undecided.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 11:50:20 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
Mayayana wrote:
[...]

Do you mean 8 Gb of memory. ??

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 09:40:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have three computers: two with Vista and one with Windows 98SE.
All are working perfectly fine for me and no need to downgrade
to Win 10 which is just bloatware anyway IMO.

I have 3 computers too. Two have XP, the other has Win98SE and
Win2000pro (dual boot). The one I use the most is Win98SE.
I have no intention of ever using any MS OS newer than XP.
I dont want or need any more MS bloat. I thought XP was too bloated, but
I found ways to remove most of it, and make it work and look more like
Win98SE.

If I can no longer use any of these OSs, I'll stop using computers.
However, there is really no reason to stop using computers. Any old OS
will do word processing, show and edit images, play music, play movies,
and do darn near everything except use the internet. As far as I'm
concerned, when the newsgroups finally die, I'll quit using the internet
anyhow. The web has become nothing but a huge commercial and has little
value anymore.

I have one of those cheap Android tablets too. I can take it to any WIFI
spot and look something up on the web if I really feel the need, or just
want to waste some time watching stupid youtube videos.

Since that filthy and useless Facebook has "become the internet", it's
no longer any fun "surfing the web". Besides facebook, the rest of the
web is just a place to go shopping, and myself, I prefer brick and
mortar stores, where I can actually touch and smell and feel what I am
buying.

People keep telling me I'm getting old and set in my ways. Well, that
may be true to a certain degree, but because of my age, I also remember
when the web was fun. I also remember when they had BBS's before the
internet even existed and they were even more fun. Now it's Facebook....
It's made for kids who have a whole life ahead of them, and who dont
seem to care they are being tracked and their identity stolen. I dont
have time to waste anymore, at my age, and even if I did, it would not
be wasted on the worthless crap posted on FB. I really dont care what
time Suzy woke up this morning, or how many times she took a ****, or
what songs she bought for her Ipad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

May I ask how old you are? I am getting old but I intend to keep up with
technological advances. I have nothing to do any social medias.
One of my volunteer job is reviewing new WiFi routers which keeps
me quite busy testing, writing test result etc. comparing with the
other competitors' units.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I am getting old but intend to keep up with tech. advances. I have
nothing to do with any social medias to waste time. We have to keep
our brains working or else.... May I ask how old you are? Wrong side
of 70? That's where I am.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ironically, you're 5 paragraph diatribe would fit in nicely on FecesBook. ;-)