Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Did anyone here preview Windows 10?

On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 1:08:03 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 09:40:16 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have three computers: two with Vista and one with Windows 98SE.
All are working perfectly fine for me and no need to downgrade
to Win 10 which is just bloatware anyway IMO.

I have 3 computers too. Two have XP, the other has Win98SE and
Win2000pro (dual boot). The one I use the most is Win98SE.
I have no intention of ever using any MS OS newer than XP.
I dont want or need any more MS bloat. I thought XP was too bloated, but
I found ways to remove most of it, and make it work and look more like
Win98SE.

If I can no longer use any of these OSs, I'll stop using computers.
However, there is really no reason to stop using computers. Any old OS
will do word processing, show and edit images, play music, play movies,
and do darn near everything except use the internet. As far as I'm
concerned, when the newsgroups finally die, I'll quit using the internet
anyhow. The web has become nothing but a huge commercial and has little
value anymore.

I have one of those cheap Android tablets too. I can take it to any WIFI
spot and look something up on the web if I really feel the need, or just
want to waste some time watching stupid youtube videos.

Since that filthy and useless Facebook has "become the internet", it's
no longer any fun "surfing the web". Besides facebook, the rest of the
web is just a place to go shopping, and myself, I prefer brick and
mortar stores, where I can actually touch and smell and feel what I am
buying.

People keep telling me I'm getting old and set in my ways. Well, that
may be true to a certain degree, but because of my age, I also remember
when the web was fun. I also remember when they had BBS's before the
internet even existed and they were even more fun. Now it's Facebook.....
It's made for kids who have a whole life ahead of them, and who dont
seem to care they are being tracked and their identity stolen. I dont
have time to waste anymore, at my age, and even if I did, it would not
be wasted on the worthless crap posted on FB. I really dont care what
time Suzy woke up this morning, or how many times she took a ****, or
what songs she bought for her Ipad.

I am getting old but intend to keep up with tech. advances. I have
nothing to do with any social medias to waste time. We have to keep
our brains working or else.... May I ask how old you are? Wrong side
of 70? That's where I am.

I'm glad I have my 3 pound Chromebook. I grab it with its bag which has my wallet, notebook, cell phone, chargers and paperwork in it to take with me when I must go to the hospital and nursing home. The medical facilities have WiFi now and I'm able to stay in touch with friends via Email, use online banking to pay my bills, surf the Web and of course, pester folks on Usenet. The light weight of the 11.6" Chromebook is easy for me to handle in my weakened state much better than my 15.6 inch or 17 inch laptops. I used the built in webcam to look at my furry face when I couldn't get out bed into my wheelchair and roll into the bathroom to see my frazzled countenance in the mirror. I'd fit right in with the guys on the TV show,"Duck Dynasty". I haven't tried to have a video chat with anyone yet because I look so scary.. ^_^

http://preview.tinyurl.com/navrpll

[8~{} Uncle Scary Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Do you mean 8 Gb of memory. ??

Undoubtedly he does, but that's a waste of money
for the vast majority of people. Win8, the worst
bloated hog among Windows versions, takes about
1 GB just to sit there. (Win98 did fine on 64 MB and
I ran XP for many years on 256 MB.) But most RAM
is sold in 4 GB blocks these days. Maybe graphics
is using close to 1 GB. That still leaves 2 GB for
work. It's very unlikely anyone is going to need more
than that unless they're doing gaming or something
like video editing. In that case they'll be using a
machine designed for that high demand. For everything
else, 8 GB of RAM is like a fake walnut dashboard in
your car: It might impress your firends, but it won't
make the car go faster or improve gas mileage.

Also note: 32-bit systems can't even use more than
about 3.2 GB RAM for reasons related to the numeric limit
on memory locations. So 8 GB won't even be seen unless
a computer is 64-bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 8:37:59 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| Do you mean 8 Gb of memory. ??

Undoubtedly he does, but that's a waste of money
for the vast majority of people. Win8, the worst
bloated hog among Windows versions, takes about
1 GB just to sit there. (Win98 did fine on 64 MB and
I ran XP for many years on 256 MB.) But most RAM
is sold in 4 GB blocks these days. Maybe graphics
is using close to 1 GB. That still leaves 2 GB for
work. It's very unlikely anyone is going to need more
than that unless they're doing gaming or something
like video editing. In that case they'll be using a
machine designed for that high demand. For everything
else, 8 GB of RAM is like a fake walnut dashboard in
your car: It might impress your friends, but it won't
make the car go faster or improve gas mileage.

Also note: 32-bit systems can't even use more than
about 3.2 GB RAM for reasons related to the numeric limit
on memory locations. So 8 GB won't even be seen unless
a computer is 64-bit.

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2015 08:39 AM, Mayayana wrote:

[snip]

Also note: 32-bit systems can't even use more than
about 3.2 GB RAM for reasons related to the numeric limit
on memory locations. So 8 GB won't even be seen unless
a computer is 64-bit.

Most 32-bit hardware actually allows 36 bits for memory addressing
(allowing 64GB). Windows won't let you use it, but Linux will.

In most cases, a 64-bit OS is still preferred.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Politics must be founded on the solid faith of God almighty" [Alan
Keyes, Rep. presidential candidate, at Christian Coalition "Road to
Victory" convention]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 00:03:18 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

May I ask how old you are? I am getting old but I intend to keep up with
technological advances. I have nothing to do any social medias.
One of my volunteer job is reviewing new WiFi routers which keeps
me quite busy testing, writing test result etc. comparing with the
other competitors' units.

I'm in my mid 60s. I am retired, and retired early due to health
problems. But I stay active and run a small farm as more of a hobby than
a business. I'd rather be outdoors than sitting in front of a computer,
esp. in warm weather. But it goes deeper than that. Back when the
internet was fun, I would enjoy wasting time on it. Now, it's like being
in a battle zone trying to fight my way thru all the ads, the spam, the
spyware, viruses, and all the websites that dont load properly and get
constant script errors. Hell, just trying to get a piece of clipart can
be a war, with all the sites that claim they have free art, then run you
thru 6 redirects and when you finally get to the art, they want you to
pay. No Thanks! On top of that, I am in a rural area, and can only get
dialup internet, which is normally 30K or less using a 56K modem. I'd
have to spend 15% of my monthly retirement income to get high speed
internet. That's not going to happen.

On top of that, I do not enjoy keeping up with the technology, when it
means having to keep reinstalling the OS and other programs, only to get
more useless bloat that I dont want anyhow. O still loke and prefer the
simplicity of Win98Se. After years of tweaking, I have gotten XP to it's
least bloated level, and tolerate it. I am not ready or willing to
"upgrade" to more bloat, only to have to relearn it again, and spend
more years trying to get out all the crap. I got into computers to USE
THEM, not to continually have to reinstall, relearn them, and forever be
in the dark with them, not getting much use from them because I'm
constantly having to relearn and modify. Then a new version is released
and they want me to start all over again. *NOT*.

I can darn near make Win98 sing and dance with my hands tied behind my
back and blindfolded. It gets used daily and all I do as far as
maintenance is defrag it, and back it up every so often. If I knew what
MS was going to do, 10 years ago, I might have switched over to an Apple
computer back then. But now, I dont much care if I am using a computer
or not. Its only these newsgroups that still keep me online, and I just
got back online a few months ago, after getting ****ed off at the
internet in general, and putting all my computers in the closet for
about 8 months. The only reason I reconnected, was because I need to
look up references to assist me in repairing farm machinery, livestock
health matters, vehicle repair, and home repair. Otherwise the computers
would still be in the closet.

But these newsgroups are dying at a fast pace, and when they are gone, I
will cut the cord to the internet for good. I can email from my
cellphone, and if needed I can take my laptop or Android tablet to the
library, or any of the restaurants or bars in town that have WIFI. Or
just go back to using the old fashioned library books, which is far less
costly and less stressful, then having to fight with the internet web.

As a final comment, Facebook is what has ruined the newsgroups. It's a
filthy shame! Facebook is the worst thing to ever happen to the
internet, and it will be the death of the internet, at least as far as
we knew it. And I was one of the first people to use the internet when
it first began. Now you cant even watch TV or read a magazine without
being bombarded with Facebook ads. It's shameful!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 14:16:49 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Have you considered hanging yourself out in the barn, yet?
--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ironically, you're 5 paragraph diatribe would fit in nicely on
FecesBook. ;-)

Not on the Twitterverse. That's where I stop and that's whats taking
over. With tablets and smart phones where you have to type on a touch
screen everything is sound bites. Think that is also a major cause of
ng demise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Said he's maybe 10 years younger than us.

I'm with you and maybe forced into it by consulting online. Have to
keep abreast. I remember the first time somebody sent me a Mb file on
dial up.

BTW added an Adblock to my tablet and still get pop-ups trying to get me
to get free games.

Noted HP sells the exact same tablets in Android and Windows versions.
On tablet, probably does not make big difference.

One of the things I like about Android is the Google voice search. It
even understands the name of my town which nobody can pronounce ontside
the area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 15:54:32 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

I'm with you and maybe forced into it by consulting online. Have to
keep abreast. I remember the first time somebody sent me a Mb file on
dial up.

I dont *Have To* do anything. Running my farm, keeping up on home and
auto repairs are MUCH more important than keeping Bill Gates wealthy.
After all, there has been no release of Windows since XP which really
provided any benefits. It's just all about bloat and nothing more. The
WWW has gone the same way. More bloat, less useful content.

When my time comes, it wont matter if I kept up with technology or not.
But it will matter how I treated other people, and how well I took care
of my farm animals.

Technology was originally intended to make our lives easier. The first
computers were pocket calculators, and they did succeed in making life
easier. Word processors made typing much easier, an digital cameras made
life easier (and better for the environment) as far as photography. The
early internet made life easier as far as being a reference source
without having to drive to a library. But this is no longer true. The
latest computers have made life more complicated, with the constant
upgrades, relearning the latest bloat, and having to keep buying new
software and hardware. Microsoft not only wants our money, but they want
all our time. I'm not willing to play their game anymore. As far as I'm
concerned, I hope they go bankrupt, and they can take Facebook right
along with them.

One fact that is ignored, is the fact that every new OS made by MS
requires more electricity. The heat that pours out of the newer
computers is excessive compared to computers made 10 or 15 years ago.
The computer I am using right now, was made in 2000, and has 2 small
fans. (in the PSU and on the CPU). I dont even feel any heat. Some of
these new computers have 3 or 4 maybe even 5 fans. The heat that pours
out of them could fry an egg. Not only do they require a lot more
electricity, but they require more air conditioning to get that heat
outdoors, during warm weather.

Now I ask, what gain is anyone really getting from all that excess
electrical use, when compared to the older computers? In my opinion, the
gain is NOTHING. But it may make the local pharmacy rich as we are all
required to buy more pills for stress after installing another MS
"upgrade"!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Adblocker has few different flavors I use adblock Edge and it seems to
do pretty well. You'd understand extra traffic it generates checking
suspect spams, etc. against the database at their server. Our mobile
device is iPhones and iPADs. Wife knows how to use her iPAD
at least, plays games with 5 yo grand-son. Home network is using WiFi
router covering all desk tops, laptops, WiFi printers, surveillance
cameras, etc. I enjoy more time fixing old vintage vacuum tube gears,
guitar amps, collectible stereo amps, etc. Good thing I went to school
when tubes were main stream, LOL! After paying for over 1/2 G having
wife's old Omega watch serviced I am trying to learn watch making little
bit. Just ordered a basic tool kit. I have some cheap watches I can play
with from ~100 watches I collected over the years running around on
overseas assignments.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I bet your automobile does not have carburetor, does it? You have to be
able to read OBD II codes when it is sick, LOL! You don't use eBook
reader like Kobo? I don't carry paper book any more....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I am about your age. I am still using XP and like it. Took me a few years
to up grade to it From 98se. Main reason was the tax program would not run
on 98. I hate most of the operating systems. I don't use much of what they
have, but run other programs. My way of thinking is just to have enough
operating system to load the programs I want.

If all I had was dialup I would have given up years ago on the internet. If
you don't have atleast the low speed cable or DSL is is almost a waste of
time. Even now people send attachments and pix on email maiking it almost
worthless due to the time it takes to do a download if on dial up.

With the cable modem it is a whole different story. The bloated ads and
graphics come through ok. Seems as the computer speeds go up so does the
bloating of the systems. Need extra fast systems just to do what could have
been done with slower systems not too long ago.

I am all for technology and try to keep up to date with what is going on..
Just don't need all fhe fluff and buff when I want to do simple things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 15:06:40 -0400, Frank "frank
wrote:

On 6/1/2015 1:38 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 1:34:19 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
| Biggest complaint is that they want to guide you into their ap store to
| buy stuff. Games like Minesweeper that came with windows before must be
| obtained as a free ap that has ads and they want you to pay maybe a
| $1/month to keep them ad free.
|
| Basically it appears to me that MS wants to enter the market like Apple
| and Android and give free OS but afterwards nickel and dime you to make
| more money.

That's exactly it,

I have an Android phone. How exactly is Google nickel and
diming me? Rest of conspiracy rant deleted.

I have a cheap Android tablet and stuff keeps popping up to direct me to
ap store or somewhere.

So? It's your choice to go or not. What do you care if OTHER people
go there and in the process subsidize YOUR use?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

One thing I like is Skype. Every week Thursday morning is chit chat time
with our grand-son in Victoria, B.C. We display him on our 60"
flat panel while he is holding iPAD in his hands. When we visit him
every 2 months or so, he says, "Let me see your iPAD". He tries to see
if there is new game for him loaded, LOL! In my working days I was
looking after super computer(main frame stuffs) water cooled monster
machine. Now it got lot smaller and more powerful using less energy...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Don't find the tablet that useful. Might check weather or see if I have
email I need to answer but typing on it is a chore. Wife bought me
stuff like that and a Kindle that I did not want but now familiar with
Kindle and tablets, I would have bought a Kindle Fire tablet and
combined the two. Cheap table could get the Kindle reader but battery
life is short.

Wife has an iPad, laptop and desktop as well as wifi printer. Besides
tablet, I have my desktop as well as a clients desk top and printers and
fax. So we do well for folks our age.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2015 9:39 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| Do you mean 8 Gb of memory. ??

Undoubtedly he does, but that's a waste of money
for the vast majority of people. Win8, the worst
bloated hog among Windows versions, takes about
1 GB just to sit there. (Win98 did fine on 64 MB and
I ran XP for many years on 256 MB.) But most RAM
is sold in 4 GB blocks these days. Maybe graphics
is using close to 1 GB. That still leaves 2 GB for
work. It's very unlikely anyone is going to need more
than that unless they're doing gaming or something
like video editing. In that case they'll be using a
machine designed for that high demand. For everything
else, 8 GB of RAM is like a fake walnut dashboard in
your car: It might impress your firends, but it won't
make the car go faster or improve gas mileage.

Also note: 32-bit systems can't even use more than
about 3.2 GB RAM for reasons related to the numeric limit
on memory locations. So 8 GB won't even be seen unless
a computer is 64-bit.

My Win 8 machine came with 6 Gb and seemed fine but adding another 4 Gb
only cost $35. Hardly see any difference but seldom see high memory
use, usually by Firefox, and keep more programs active.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:.

Wife has an iPad, laptop and desktop as well as wifi printer. Besides
tablet, I have my desktop as well as a clients desk top and printers and
fax. So we do well for folks our age.

That's for sure. I can't complain, receiving kidney x-plant in 1996,
LOL! We use bluetooth KB on iPAD. Wife's is top of the line Air model.
Mine is 3rd gen. little heavier and thicker. Mostly I use ASUS 17" ROG
laptop with SSDs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2015 04:57 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

I am about your age. I am still using XP and like it. Took me a few years
to up grade to it From 98se. Main reason was the tax program would not run
on 98. I hate most of the operating systems. I don't use much of what they
have, but run other programs. My way of thinking is just to have enough
operating system to load the programs I want.

I like a simpler OS. It's better when the icons and stuff don't wiggle
around, and you don't have to chase them around.

If all I had was dialup I would have given up years ago on the internet. If
you don't have atleast the low speed cable or DSL is is almost a waste of
time. Even now people send attachments and pix on email maiking it almost
worthless due to the time it takes to do a download if on dial up.

My first internet access was through Compuserve. I had a 28.8Kbps POTS
modem, which would not work above 19.2K on Windows (full speed worked
fine in DOS). CS charged a fee (IIRC $2.95 / minute) and it took a long
time to load a web page.

With the cable modem it is a whole different story. The bloated ads and
graphics come through ok.

Note that latency is important (sometimes more important) than speed.
That's better with cable too.

Seems as the computer speeds go up so does the
bloating of the systems. Need extra fast systems just to do what could have
been done with slower systems not too long ago.

Bloat does go up. That seems to be a "normal" human response to
increased capacity.

I am all for technology and try to keep up to date with what is going on..
Just don't need all fhe fluff and buff when I want to do simple things.

One reason I do most computer stuff with Lubuntu. It has a simpler user
interface. You can run it from the DVD (or external drive) and no
"assume you're a thief" stuff.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"There is nothing in the U.S. Constitution that sanctifies the
separation of church and state." [Pat Robertson]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2015 8:19 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Frank wrote:.

Wife has an iPad, laptop and desktop as well as wifi printer. Besides
tablet, I have my desktop as well as a clients desk top and printers and
fax. So we do well for folks our age.

That's for sure. I can't complain, receiving kidney x-plant in 1996,
LOL! We use bluetooth KB on iPAD. Wife's is top of the line Air model.
Mine is 3rd gen. little heavier and thicker. Mostly I use ASUS 17" ROG
laptop with SSDs.

My wife's machines are not that powerful.

Little concerned that her Win 7 Toshiba laptop, unupgradeable, with 4 Gb
might not handle Win 10 but upgrade site says it should.

I've been trying to replace her antique desktop with an all in one
machine and she says she will when Win 10 comes out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/1/2015 1:38 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 1:34:19 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
| Biggest complaint is that they want to guide you into their ap store to
| buy stuff. Games like Minesweeper that came with windows before must be
| obtained as a free ap that has ads and they want you to pay maybe a
| $1/month to keep them ad free.
|
| Basically it appears to me that MS wants to enter the market like Apple
| and Android and give free OS but afterwards nickel and dime you to make
| more money.

That's exactly it,

I have an Android phone. How exactly is Google nickel and
diming me? Rest of conspiracy rant deleted.

I have a cheap Android tablet and stuff keeps popping up to direct me to
ap store or somewhere.

So? It's your choice to go or not. What do you care if OTHER people
go there and in the process subsidize YOUR use?

It goes beyond pop-ups.
You have to interact and delete page.

BTW can you tell me how to get people to buy me a car?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/1/2015 1:38 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 1:34:19 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
| Biggest complaint is that they want to guide you into their ap store to
| buy stuff. Games like Minesweeper that came with windows before must be
| obtained as a free ap that has ads and they want you to pay maybe a
| $1/month to keep them ad free.
|
| Basically it appears to me that MS wants to enter the market like Apple
| and Android and give free OS but afterwards nickel and dime you to make
| more money.

That's exactly it,

I have an Android phone. How exactly is Google nickel and
diming me? Rest of conspiracy rant deleted.

I have a cheap Android tablet and stuff keeps popping up to direct me to
ap store or somewhere.

So? It's your choice to go or not. What do you care if OTHER people
go there and in the process subsidize YOUR use?

It goes beyond pop-ups.
You have to interact and delete page.

BTW can you tell me how to get people to buy me a car?

Sure, offer them something they want in trade. Lots of woman have
figured it out.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:.

Wife has an iPad, laptop and desktop as well as wifi printer. Besides
tablet, I have my desktop as well as a clients desk top and printers and
fax. So we do well for folks our age.

That's for sure. I can't complain, receiving kidney x-plant in 1996,
LOL! We use bluetooth KB on iPAD. Wife's is top of the line Air model.
Mine is 3rd gen. little heavier and thicker. Mostly I use ASUS 17" ROG
laptop with SSDs.

My wife's machines are not that powerful.

Little concerned that her Win 7 Toshiba laptop, unupgradeable, with 4 Gb
might not handle Win 10 but upgrade site says it should.

I've been trying to replace her antique desktop with an all in one
machine and she says she will when Win 10 comes out.

I have another laptop, Alienware 14" display with i7, 8GB memory.
This thing is built very sturdy, heavy. Not like Panasonic Toughbook
but whole lot better than regular laptops. Wife's is MSI GX60 with AMD
A10, 8 GB with two 500GB HDD. I like KB on this one, better than ASUS.
This thing has so called Bigfoot Killer WiFi card which works very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

Even on Linux you have to pay for certain apps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 15:38:18 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

cameras, etc. I enjoy more time fixing old vintage vacuum tube gears,
guitar amps, collectible stereo amps, etc. Good thing I went to school
when tubes were main stream, LOL! After paying for over 1/2 G having

I like playing around with old tube audio stuff too! Once the stuff
became transistor/IC, it became too hard to repair and even harder to
get parts for.

Give me a pair, or quad of 6L6 tubes and some driver tubes, and I could
damn near build an amplifier without looking at a schematic. I still
have my 3 channel (surround sound) system I built in the late 1960s.
Each channel has 4 6L6 tubes in push-pull parallel. Back in the 70's,
after getting myself very intoxicated, I blew several windows out of our
house with those amps. These days I use them more sensibly, but they
still sound better than any "solid state" stuff.

BTW: The 3rd channel is both left and right channel combined, and fed
thru a spring reverb, like the ones in the old guitar amps. It gives the
sound of a large auditorium, even in a small room.

The only drawback is that each (homemade) speaker is the size of a
refrigerator, so it takes up a lot of space. And some big guys to move
them. The walls are 1" plywood and speakers themselves are all guitar
amp speakers w/ 15" woofers, 12" mids, and horns for the highs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Guitar amp speakers are not for HiFi. Their frequency range is very
narrrow. Bass amp speakers are only for bass freq. typically below
100Hz.(wall shaker) Todays' kids are afraid of HV on tube circuits. I
once converted a Boutique Mono amp with two Mullard 6CA7(p-P) into a
Marshall JMP clone. When I try son's friends on a blind test they
couldn't tell the difference between real Marshall JMP and one I built.
My basement is full of some vintage Fender, Marshall, Mesa Boogie amps
as well as newer Guytron, Soldano, etc.
with two drum sets, multiple guitars and basses plus my horn(1972 Besson
euphonium) I still play my horn when I feel like it. And we have grand
piano made in 1912 which is still in good shape and sounding good. This
one is for my daughter when she has new house built. She finished RCM
Toronto grade 12 in piano. Son did tenor sax. but he is now into guitar
and drum and teaching kids on the side of engineering job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang writes:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
One reason I do most computer stuff with Lubuntu. It has a simpler user
interface. You can run it from the DVD (or external drive) and no
"assume you're a thief" stuff.

Even on Linux you have to pay for certain apps.

My personal system is Linux based for more than 15 years.

Once I bought a VPN package to communicate with work.

The other time I bought software was the second Humble Bundle game
package.

I'm not using either for a few years.

So, I think, "you have to pay", gives the wrong impression.

There's free software to do a lot.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/04/2015 02:46 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

Even on Linux you have to pay for certain apps.

Some, not the OS and not the usual programs like a web browser.

Anyway, I'm not talking about paying for anything. I have no problem
with that.

I'm talking about the intentional limitations they put in the software
(such as the misnamed "product activation") that make the software
harder to use for honest people.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Surgeon General's Warning: Quitting Religion Now Greatly Increases the
Chances of World Peace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/01/2015 08:23 AM, Oren wrote:
Today:

Microsoft is now pushing Windows 10 via a notice suggesting
you reserve a copy.

On Monday, the software giant announced that Windows 10 will
officially roll out July 29.

Mo

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

Now I have a new icon on the task bar. Still undecided.

Hi Oren,

Sorry for the late answer.

I am previewing Frankenstein the Younger (Windows 10). If
you liked Frankenstein the Elder (W8), you will like
Frankenstein the Younger (W10). It makes some of 8's
Frankenstein features easier to handle, but it is still the
Frankenstein Family.

If you like the slide pad parts of the Frankenstein family,
then you should consider an iPad. It is much, much better done.

Otherwise just stick with Windows 7 or XP. Or consider one
of the Linux's. My favorite is Fedora.

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 14:31:13 -0700, T wrote:

[...]

I agree with Ed and stay with Win7. I'm willing to play with Win 10.
Will it allow install to another drive? I trust your experience.

-
P.S. Gov. Sandavol signed SB 175.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/Bills/SB/SB175_EN.pdf

Later, our state constitution will declare hunting, trapping and
fishing is a state constitutional right LMAO But true.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2015 02:59 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I have heard discussion of that, but I don't know if it went anywhere.
I put my M$ computers in virtual machines.

-
P.S. Gov. Sandavol signed SB 175.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/Bills/SB/SB175_EN.pdf

I read it over and really couldn't tell if things got better or
worse. What was your take?

He also got his gross margins license tax. What a betrayer.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/may...icans-cant-un/
Democrats are Democrat and Republicans are Democrats. We now
have a one party state. It sucks.

I wonder how much my customer are going to appreciate an extra tax
line on my invoices to pay for the thing?

And, I wonder what board of directors job the betrayer will land in
after office that he gets paid $1,000,000 a year for showing up
twice a year.

Later, our state constitution will declare hunting, trapping and
fishing is a state constitutional right LMAO But true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 12:22:59 -0700, T wrote:

I agree with Ed and stay with Win7. I'm willing to play with Win 10.
Will it allow install to another drive? I trust your experience.

I have heard discussion of that, but I don't know if it went anywhere.
I put my M$ computers in virtual machines.

I saw a question about it the other day on tenforums.com. Not clear to
me, yet.

-
P.S. Gov. Sandavol signed SB 175.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/Bills/SB/SB175_EN.pdf

I read it over and really couldn't tell if things got better or
worse. What was your take?

The law eliminates handgun registration in Clark Co.. No more "blue
cards". You are protected from civil liability; nor can you be sued
for wrongful death of a stink eye. You can take any local government
to court if an agency violates your rights. You can use deadly force
in defense of your vehicle (car jacking /assault) - something else I
forget.

The Gov. also signed AB 121, dubbed the "Pop Tart Bill".

In essence, NOW, Nevada is TRUELY a Castle Doctrine state. It was on
the outskirt before.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/Bills/AB/AB121_EN.pdf

He also got his gross margins license tax. What a betrayer.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/may...icans-cant-un/
Democrats are Democrat and Republicans are Democrats. We now
have a one party state. It sucks.

I wonder how much my customer are going to appreciate an extra tax
line on my invoices to pay for the thing?

And, I wonder what board of directors job the betrayer will land in
after office that he gets paid $1,000,000 a year for showing up
twice a year.

Not sure what Bill was final. I did not follow it closely, but I know
you did. The story is a week old. His next job, will likely be to take
Dirty Harry's pending vacant Senate seat. Or run for VP, if asked too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/06/2015 01:26 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 12:22:59 -0700, T wrote:

I agree with Ed and stay with Win7. I'm willing to play with Win 10.
Will it allow install to another drive? I trust your experience.

I have heard discussion of that, but I don't know if it went anywhere.
I put my M$ computers in virtual machines.

I saw a question about it the other day on tenforums.com. Not clear to
me, yet.

The Frankenstein family (w8 & 10) is truly awful. Ed was right.
http://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/...10/qFcVLYY.jpg

-
P.S. Gov. Sandavol signed SB 175.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/Bills/SB/SB175_EN.pdf

I read it over and really couldn't tell if things got better or
worse. What was your take?

The law eliminates handgun registration in Clark Co.. No more "blue
cards". You are protected from civil liability; nor can you be sued
for wrongful death of a stink eye. You can take any local government
to court if an agency violates your rights. You can use deadly force
in defense of your vehicle (car jacking /assault) - something else I
forget.

The Gov. also signed AB 121, dubbed the "Pop Tart Bill".

In essence, NOW, Nevada is TRUELY a Castle Doctrine state. It was on
the outskirt before.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/Bills/AB/AB121_EN.pdf

Awesome

He also got his gross margins license tax. What a betrayer.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/may...icans-cant-un/
Democrats are Democrat and Republicans are Democrats. We now
have a one party state. It sucks.

I wonder how much my customer are going to appreciate an extra tax
line on my invoices to pay for the thing?

And, I wonder what board of directors job the betrayer will land in
after office that he gets paid $1,000,000 a year for showing up
twice a year.

Not sure what Bill was final. I did not follow it closely, but I know
you did. The story is a week old. His next job, will likely be to take
Dirty Harry's pending vacant Senate seat. Or run for VP, if asked too.

He better just take his retirement. He has a political enemy for life
and I am not the only one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 14:09:50 -0700, T wrote:

[...]

Yes it is.

He also got his gross margins license tax. What a betrayer.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/may...icans-cant-un/
Democrats are Democrat and Republicans are Democrats. We now
have a one party state. It sucks.

I wonder how much my customer are going to appreciate an extra tax
line on my invoices to pay for the thing?

And, I wonder what board of directors job the betrayer will land in
after office that he gets paid $1,000,000 a year for showing up
twice a year.

Not sure what Bill was final. I did not follow it closely, but I know
you did. The story is a week old. His next job, will likely be to take
Dirty Harry's pending vacant Senate seat. Or run for VP, if asked too.

He better just take his retirement. He has a political enemy for life
and I am not the only one.

As Reagan did. You can't get 100% of what you want. 80% will do.

You could have voted for Rory Reid Then complain about our
moderate Republican.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/06/2015 02:18 PM, Oren wrote:

He better just take his retirement. He has a political enemy for life
and I am not the only one.

As Reagan did. You can't get 100% of what you want. 80% will do.

You could have voted for Rory Reid Then complain about our
moderate Republican.

Hi Oren,

This was a BIG one. The betrayer is going to tax businesses on their
"gross receipts", meaning all money that changed hands, not whether
or not you made a profile on it. Even the hoodlums at the Fed only
tax me on my profit. Oh and they call it a "Business License",
not a tax.

I have been having to go out to the local business and hand out cards
again. Or as I call it, visiting the empty building. (I lost another
business customer this week -- they got bought and the new company is
moving it to Florida.) We have about a 70% vacancy rate for business
office in Douglas county do to this artificially protracted recession.

If we do not manager to get this insane tax removed with the
initiative process -- last time it failed by 78% -- we will NEVER
have another new business move here.

As I said, it is a huge deal.

-T

At least Democrats tell you they are going to screw you to your face!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 16:35:08 -0700, T wrote:

[...]

Tesla just did, stolen from Californication.

As I said, it is a huge deal.

I can feel your pain. The housing bubble cost me ~$200K. I'm almost
recovered.

At least Democrats tell you they are going to screw you to your face!

Now you know why they supported our moderate governor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/06/2015 05:00 PM, Oren wrote:
Tesla just did, stolen from Californication.

They made their decision before this tax or the previous
one was proposed.

Tesla live off the sweat of other peoples brows (subsidies).
Still, it is nice to have them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/06/2015 02:18 PM, Oren wrote:
e better just take his retirement. He has a political enemy for life
and I am not the only one.

As Reagan did. You can't get 100% of what you want. 80% will do.

You could have voted for Rory Reid Then complain about our
moderate Republican.

And I jut heard that the betrayer shot down the campus carry bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 14:18:46 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/06/2015 02:18 PM, Oren wrote:
e better just take his retirement. He has a political enemy for life
and I am not the only one.

As Reagan did. You can't get 100% of what you want. 80% will do.

You could have voted for Rory Reid Then complain about our
moderate Republican.

And I jut heard that the betrayer shot down the campus carry bill

No. It never made it to his desk. There was a big stink, near
anarchy. Assemblywoman Michele Fiore (R-Las Vegas) had a hissy fit,
after trying so many times to pass the law.

"The issue is particularly and emotionally relevant in Nevada because
one of our own, Amanda Collins – a CCW permit holder for whom
“Amanda’s Law” is named – was brutally raped in a parking garage at
UNR in 2007 thanks to being disarmed by Nevada law."

"The man who raped her went on to rape at least two other women and
murdered one of them. He now sits on death row."

He had a gun, but Amada obeyed the law...

https://c8a02f0861-custmedia.vresp.com/ccd29a2f65/amanda-collins-concealed-carry.jpg

[...]

For some reason, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Greg Brower
(R-Reno), who voted for the campus carry bill in 2011, decided he was
going to do to this year’s Amanda’s Law what Assembly Democrats did to
it in 2011 and 2013.

He refused to bring the bill up for a hearing or a vote in his
committee.

Spit! But it wasn't the Governor.

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1010969/ccd29a2f65/TEST/TEST/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/07/2015 02:48 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Actually, the scuttlebutt around these parts is that he
made it know that he wouldn't sign it. And our students remain
ducks in a shooting gallery

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 16:02:08 -0700, T wrote:

[...]

I'm not privy to "scuttlebutt" in Reno. My take is he would have
signed to Bill, had it made it to his desk.

BTW, I looked for a WIN7 Product Key, to move my elder bride off
Vista. I'd hate to buy one in Sweden or China. I have images of Win7
and Win7 SP-1 (32&64 bit)

Got a kink from Microsnot?
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld