Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Building a shed base

I am buying a rubbermaid 7x7 resin shed for my yard. I was asking around about how to make the base and was told to go with 4x4 treated wood frame with treated wood plywood on top. I was wondering if that is even necessary for a resin shed since it isnt going to rot from dampness. I have a bunch of big pavers (some are 4'x4'). Would I be able to use those to make a base on my grass and just put the shed on top of it? The shed has it's own floor and I do realize that it must be level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 11:41:42 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I am buying a rubbermaid 7x7 resin shed for my yard. I was asking around about how to make the base and was told to go with 4x4 treated wood frame with treated wood plywood on top. I was wondering if that is even necessary for a resin shed since it isnt going to rot from dampness. I have a bunch of big pavers (some are 4'x4'). Would I be able to use those to make a base on my grass and just put the shed on top of it? The shed has it's own floor and I do realize that it must be level.

What do the instructions for the shed say? I see no reason why
pavers that are laid level couldn't be used. Many sheds don't even
have a floor at all. You might still need treated lumber around the
edges so the shed can be fastened down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am buying a rubbermaid 7x7 resin shed for my yard. I was asking around
about how to make the base and was told to go with 4x4 treated wood frame
with treated wood plywood on top. I was wondering if that is even necessary
for a resin shed since it isnt going to rot from dampness. I have a bunch of
big pavers (some are 4'x4'). Would I be able to use those to make a base on
my grass and just put the shed on top of it? The shed has it's own floor and
I do realize that it must be level.

I'm level headed under fire.
Does that count?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 May 2015 09:07:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 11:41:42 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I am buying a rubbermaid 7x7 resin shed for my yard. I was asking around about how to make the base and was told to go with 4x4 treated wood frame with treated wood plywood on top. I was wondering if that is even necessary for a resin shed since it isnt going to rot from dampness. I have a bunch of big pavers (some are 4'x4'). Would I be able to use those to make a base on my grass and just put the shed on top of it? The shed has it's own floor and I do realize that it must be level.

What do the instructions for the shed say? I see no reason why
pavers that are laid level couldn't be used. Many sheds don't even
have a floor at all. You might still need treated lumber around the
edges so the shed can be fastened down.

Agree. Even a bed of gravel if there is a chance for minor flooding
from heavy rain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2015 5:47 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/28/2015 09:41 AM, wrote:
I am buying a rubbermaid 7x7 resin shed for my yard. I was asking
around about how to make the base and was told to go with 4x4 treated
wood frame with treated wood plywood on top. I was wondering if that
is even necessary for a resin shed since it isnt going to rot from
dampness. I have a bunch of big pavers (some are 4'x4'). Would I be
able to use those to make a base on my grass and just put the shed on
top of it? The shed has it's own floor and I do realize that it must
be level.

I put mine up directly on the ground after preparing the surface by
removing the sod and leveling it with sand. The only problem I've
encountered is some water in the spring as the snow melts if there was a
particularly heavy snowfall. However this is a semi-arid climate so
heavy rainfall is a very rare event and the soil is gravelly and doesn't
hold surface water.

A possible advantage of building on treated 4x4's with a bevel on the
ends is you could move the structure relatively easily. I haven't had
the problem even in the winter but it also gives the doors some extra
room above the ground to swing out.

Certainly depends on soil and climate...
The resin may not rot, but stuff inside will get damp and rot.
If the ground settles, the resin will twist and bind the doors etc.
If you put it on a base, make sure that water can't get in from the bottom
edges and rust the stuff inside.
My ground was sloped, so I put cinder blocks at the corners and center
2x4 frame on top of that. Plywood on top of that. Flashing to keep
rain out of the wood and inside.
Problem was that I couldn't keep critters from making a home underneath.
Tried to close it off, but they just dug deeper...then died...then the flies
came.
Finally had to raise it higher so there was no way they could hide
under there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message news:mk8eq5

stuff snipped

Problem was that I couldn't keep critters from making a home underneath.
Tried to close it off, but they just dug deeper...then died...then the

flies
came.
Finally had to raise it higher so there was no way they could hide
under there.

My problem, too. Used an aluminum girder system that came as an optional
base. One time in October after an early snow I saw dozens of small tracks
leading from the shed to every other part of the yard. Critters.

In this case a woodchuck but there have been others. Raccons and opossums
are very fond of bunking under the shed. Not sure what I could have or
should have done - probably hired a concrete company to pour a nice thick
base under the shed.

As you noted, killing them on purpose or by accident just brings in a set of
newer, smaller critters and the god-awful stench of rotting rodent.

--
Bobby G.

Shed base F[_2_] UK diy 12 June 27th 15 11:29 PM
Recommendations for a base for a shed to encourage a long life (ofthe shed!) larkim UK diy 9 March 8th 12 12:52 AM
Shed base David UK diy 0 April 26th 10 11:12 AM
Shed base Arthur 51 UK diy 7 April 22nd 10 03:50 PM
base for new shed Glenn UK diy 3 November 23rd 06 08:57 AM