Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shed base

It's Spring, when a man's mind turns to sheds...

Now that the drystone wallers have finished (I'm awestruck at their
work), I need to put a base down for the shed.

We don't want to put a concrete raft down (I have been told) and for
this reason want to go down the slab route. From Googled wisdom of
this group, I know that I should:

1. level the area of soil where I want to put the base, stamp it down
a bit.
2. put down a dry sand & cement (4:1) layer, keeping inside the
footprint of the shed. Get this level.
3. starting at the corner, lay the slabs, ensuring level etc.
4. once they are down, the moisture in the soil will act on the sand &
cement, but playing a hose over it when I've finished wont't do any
harm.

Anything I've forgotten?

It's only a little 6x4 jobbie, so I'm sure doing the above will be OK,
but a couple of questions:

a. I'm thinking of dropping a couple of pieces of threaded rod into
slabs below the raft and fixing these to the bearers and screwing the
shed to the bearers. The idea behind this is to give it a bit of wind
resistance. Any other suggested methods?

b. how deep should the sand and cement be?

c. could I get away with raking and stamping the soil level and lay
the slabs directly onto the soil? Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

David

Shed base Arthur 51 UK diy 7 April 22nd 10 03:50 PM
Shed Base Arthur 51 UK diy 7 July 25th 09 04:45 PM
shed base coco[_2_] UK diy 6 August 19th 07 03:29 AM
base for new shed Glenn UK diy 3 November 23rd 06 08:57 AM
Shed base help [email protected] UK diy 6 August 28th 06 12:14 AM