Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shed base

Management wants a shed. Probably 8' x 6', so I assume the base would be
best in concrete and need to be, say, 8'6" x 6'6", but how thick?

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2015 16:44, F wrote:
Management wants a shed. Probably 8' x 6', so I assume the base would be
best in concrete and need to be, say, 8'6" x 6'6", but how thick?

Consider concrete fence posts laid down & leveled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , F
writes
Management wants a shed. Probably 8' x 6', so I assume the base would
be best in concrete and need to be, say, 8'6" x 6'6", but how thick?

Unless it is going to form the floor of the shed, a concrete base is
unnecessary work and expense. Is this a bought or DIY shed?

In the last house I bedded some half concrete block down into weak dry
mix sand and cement, and put timber bearers (fence posts) across those,
resting on bits of DPC. The shed floor was then put on that, a little
bit of a step up but that was no problem - did consider mesh a round to
keep out animals, but it was never a problem. Plenty of under floor
ventilation

Some alternatives timber bearers laid on gravel, or cheap paving slabs.
But if the shed floor is straight on that I'd expect it to rot quicker

This comes up a lot here, I wonder if it has made it into the wiki. If
not a google groups search should turn up old posts
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/15 16:44, F wrote:
Management wants a shed. Probably 8' x 6', so I assume the base would be
best in concrete and need to be, say, 8'6" x 6'6", but how thick?

4" is common on similar amount of well packed hardcore for a full on base.

But if the ground is firm, you can get away well enough with paving
slabs on a layer of sand.

Or 2 walls with 2x4" decking bearers (joists) across.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 June 2015 17:40:37 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
In message , F
writes
[...]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Shed

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2015 17:29, David Lang wrote:
On 26/06/2015 16:44, F wrote:
Management wants a shed. Probably 8' x 6', so I assume the base would be
best in concrete and need to be, say, 8'6" x 6'6", but how thick?

Consider concrete fence posts laid down & leveled.

Sorted a base for a shed about 16years ago. Base was cut into a slight
slope (about 12" front to back - shed ia 6 x 8) soil is solid clay.
Laid 1" or so of pea shingle with fencing weatherboards at right angles
to joists in shed floor. I am just seeing signs of subsidence in one
corner - not surprisinly where the downcomer from the gutter discharges.

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 17:31:30 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

In message , F
writes
Management wants a shed. Probably 8' x 6', so I assume the base would
be best in concrete and need to be, say, 8'6" x 6'6", but how thick?

Unless it is going to form the floor of the shed, a concrete base is
unnecessary work and expense. Is this a bought or DIY shed?

In the last house I bedded some half concrete block down into weak dry
mix sand and cement, and put timber bearers (fence posts) across those,
resting on bits of DPC. The shed floor was then put on that, a little
bit of a step up but that was no problem
Some alternatives timber bearers laid on gravel, or cheap paving slabs.
But if the shed floor is straight on that I'd expect it to rot quicker

For a smallish shed plastic pallets can make a good rot proof base ,
while not as easily available for free like wooden ones they are still
cheaper than the proprietary plastic base systems which aren't much
different and expensive.
And there are some light weight plastic pallets around which would
not be suitable.
Last month I ordered 3 for a small shed base,the shed being moved
twice in a fortnight for garden works making anything more permanent
undesirable.
Led to a conversation with the delivery driver a bit like a Ronnie
Barker sketch.

Lorry draws up
Me Are you delivering 3 pallets?
DVR No,Only one
Me Should be 3
DVR Only one on sheet
Me Bggr ,I'll sort it later lets get the one off.
DVR opens tailgate revealing pallet with black clingfim approx 2ft
high top of it
Me That's 3 pallets
DVR No only one, wheeling it onto tailift
Me Cuts open clingfilm with pocket knife, Look, 3 pallets
DVR Still only one on sheet
Me They've put 3 on another
DVR So you've got four then
Me Looks like it, What happens to the fourth pallet
DVR You keep it

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2015 16:44, F wrote:
Management wants a shed. Probably 8' x 6', so I assume the base would be
best in concrete and need to be, say, 8'6" x 6'6", but how thick?

Thanks for the suggestions.

It looks like concrete or wooden bearers on concrete blocks may be the
way to go so just one more question... how many bearers?

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

It looks like concrete or wooden bearers on concrete blocks may be the
way to go so just one more question... how many bearers?

My 10x8' shed sits on five 8' fence posts (on top of a level-ish area of
slabs) with some bits of slate to correct for minor slope on the slabs.
No sagging or bouncing (18mm boards for walls, floor and roof).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2015 15:34, Andy Burns wrote:
F wrote:

It looks like concrete or wooden bearers on concrete blocks may be the
way to go so just one more question... how many bearers?

My 10x8' shed sits on five 8' fence posts (on top of a level-ish area of
slabs) with some bits of slate to correct for minor slope on the slabs.
No sagging or bouncing (18mm boards for walls, floor and roof).

Sounds good. Thanks.

Just need to find a home for the greenhouse that's now redundant.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

My 10x8' shed sits on five 8' fence posts

Sounds good.

Obviously four bearers would give you the same 2' spacing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/15 15:27, F wrote:
On 26/06/2015 16:44, F wrote:
Management wants a shed. Probably 8' x 6', so I assume the base would be
best in concrete and need to be, say, 8'6" x 6'6", but how thick?

Thanks for the suggestions.

It looks like concrete or wooden bearers on concrete blocks may be the
way to go so just one more question... how many bearers?

2x4" spaced 400mm over a 6' span will give a pretty decent floor for
normal use - add noggins for stiffness.

The 400mm spacing is standard and suits sheet materials used in flooring
both in terms of convenience and adequate support.

You could get clever and put the supporting walls at 1' and 5' giving a
cantilevered base with a nominal 4' between supports - that would be
very rigid.

All assuming it's a shed and not a workshop with large machines?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 27/06/15 15:27, F wrote:
On 26/06/2015 16:44, F wrote:
Management wants a shed. Probably 8' x 6', so I assume the base would be
best in concrete and need to be, say, 8'6" x 6'6", but how thick?

Thanks for the suggestions.

It looks like concrete or wooden bearers on concrete blocks may be the
way to go so just one more question... how many bearers?

2x4" spaced 400mm over a 6' span will give a pretty decent floor for
normal use - add noggins for stiffness.

The 400mm spacing is standard and suits sheet materials used in
flooring both in terms of convenience and adequate support.

If it's to be the actual floor yes. If it's to support a separate shed
floor, as you get with a bought shed. Then bearers at 2 foot centres, as
suggest elsewhere is fine (IIRC that's what I used when I did mine -
10x6 or 10x8 shed)
--
Chris French

Recommendations for a base for a shed to encourage a long life (ofthe shed!) larkim UK diy 9 March 8th 12 12:52 AM
Shed base David UK diy 0 April 26th 10 11:12 AM
Shed base Arthur 51 UK diy 7 April 22nd 10 03:50 PM
base for new shed Glenn UK diy 3 November 23rd 06 08:57 AM
Shed base help [email protected] UK diy 6 August 28th 06 12:14 AM