Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

Default Lettuce Talk aboot "Brum Drakes."

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
I thought drum brakes were stopped decades ago, most cars where you can see
the brakes have disks all round. But I saw a few modern (4 year old) mid
range cars with what I assume is a drum brake at the back. Or is there
something else nowadays?

--
"An abstract noun," the teacher said, "is something you can think of, but
you can't touch it. Can you give me an example of one?"

Cars on the Tiny Island Nation (of buck-toothed rascals) are what Americans
used to drive in the 1920s.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

On Sat, 23 May 2015 19:40:52 +0100, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
I thought drum brakes were stopped decades ago, most cars where you can see
the brakes have disks all round. But I saw a few modern (4 year old) mid
range cars with what I assume is a drum brake at the back. Or is there
something else nowadays?

Cars on the Tiny Island Nation (of buck-toothed rascals) are what Americans
used to drive in the 1920s.
LOL

Americans still can't make a car that goes round corners.

--
How many potheads does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to hold the bulb against the socket, and the other to smoke up until the room starts spinning.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
I thought drum brakes were stopped decades ago, most cars where you
can see
the brakes have disks all round. But I saw a few modern (4 year old)
mid
range cars with what I assume is a drum brake at the back. Or is there
something else nowadays?

Cars on the Tiny Island Nation (of buck-toothed rascals) are what
Americans
used to drive in the 1920s.
LOL

Americans still can't make a car that goes round corners.

it's far easier to put an emergency brake on a drum system so the non
drive wheels in the rear and my truck has drum brakes on the rear...I
know that chevy seemed to have a minidrumbrake on the center of the rear
rotors on the fancy 4 wh disc jobberdos...and hey, we ain't got round
corners so we don't need cars that can go round a corner

--
Phony PhDs need love too...someone's got to stir the ****
˜º
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

What is an "emergency brake"? We only have those on trains.

--
A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

perhaps, good sir, you call them 'hand brakes' do the kids over there
like to pull the emergency in one of the rear passenger cars and throw
the whole train into 'emergency stop'? they sure like to get the grids
smoking on the NYC subway system. possibly the newer revenue cars
have somthing to protect them from the lil 2 legged *******s.

--
Phony PhDs need love too...someone's got to stir the ****
˜º

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

On Sat, 23 May 2015 19:59:37 +0100, "Tough Guy no. 1265"
wrote:

On Sat, 23 May 2015 19:40:52 +0100, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
I thought drum brakes were stopped decades ago, most cars where you can see
the brakes have disks all round. But I saw a few modern (4 year old) mid
range cars with what I assume is a drum brake at the back. Or is there
something else nowadays?

Cars on the Tiny Island Nation (of buck-toothed rascals) are what Americans
used to drive in the 1920s.
LOL

Americans still can't make a car that goes round corners.

Still a fair number of front disk/rear drum vehicles being turned
out. The rear brakes do very little of the braking in normal use, so
high temperature brake fade is not a big issue on the rear - and drum
parking brakes are just SO much easier to make work properly
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

To be 100% correct, they are called a "parking brake" as they can be
foot operated, hand operated, or even electrically operated.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

On Sat, 23 May 2015 19:59:37 +0100, in alt.war.vietnam "Tough Guy no.
1265" wrote:

Americans still can't make a car that goes round corners.

Drum brakes perform better under heavy loads and long hills than disk
brakes because they are better able to dissipate heat. You'll never
see disk brakes on a truck... I mean a *real* truck meant for hauling
tonnage.

We *can* build a quality product in the US; we've just gotten lazy.

Jones

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

On Sat, 23 May 2015 16:30:38 -0500, in alt.war.vietnam The Stumpster
wrote:

it's far easier to put an emergency brake on a drum system so the non
drive wheels in the rear and my truck has drum brakes on the rear...I
know that chevy seemed to have a minidrumbrake on the center of the rear
rotors on the fancy 4 wh disc jobberdos...and hey, we ain't got round
corners so we don't need cars that can go round a corner

I once had a VW micro bus (yes, I was a hippy) and I split the parking
brake to where I could brake a single wheel. It's kind of a poor
man's 4-wheel drive.

Jones

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

On Sat, 23 May 2015 22:54:57 +0100, in alt.war.vietnam "Tough Guy no.
1265" wrote:

What is an "emergency brake"? We only have those on trains.

It's a brake you use in emergencys.

Jones

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

On Sat, 23 May 2015 17:12:31 -0500, in alt.war.vietnam The Stumpster
wrote:

perhaps, good sir, you call them 'hand brakes' do the kids over there
like to pull the emergency in one of the rear passenger cars and throw
the whole train into 'emergency stop'? they sure like to get the grids
smoking on the NYC subway system. possibly the newer revenue cars
have somthing to protect them from the lil 2 legged *******s.

The DART and the A-Train don't have 'em. You can signal the security
people and *they* might stop the train. I don't think a passenger can
stop a train anymore.

Jones

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.suicide.methods,uk.rec.driving

"NEMO" wrote in message
On 5/23/2015 11:40 AM, Colon Edmud Burchese wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
I thought drum brakes were stopped decades ago, most cars where you
can see the brakes have disks all round. But I saw a few modern (4
year old) mid range cars with what I assume is a drum brake at the
back. Or is there something else nowadays?

--
"An abstract noun," the teacher said, "is something you can think of,
but you can't touch it. Can you give me an example of one?"
"Sure," a teenage boy replied. "My mother's pussy."

Cars on the Tiny Island Nation (of buck-toothed rascals) are what
Americans used to drive in the 1920s.
LOL

Americans couldn't drive then and they still can't drive! LOLOK

I COULD DRIVE THIS DILDO UP YER COLOSTOMY, YOU ENGLISH PHAGGOT!
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

perhaps, good sir, you call them 'hand brakes' do the kids over there
like to pull the emergency in one of the rear passenger cars and throw
the whole train into 'emergency stop'? they sure like to get the grids
smoking on the NYC subway system. possibly the newer revenue cars
have somthing to protect them from the lil 2 legged *******s.

The DART and the A-Train don't have 'em. You can signal the security
people and *they* might stop the train. I don't think a passenger can
stop a train anymore.

Jones

are you speaking of THE A Train that took ya to Kennedy in NYC? in my
subway days they used R44 cars and they we different from the older cars
in the system and could have done away with the brake gizmo that the
kids used to throw the trains into emergency. R44s are gone from NYC
proper and may only exist out in Staten Island system now look at
'tribute to Redbirds' on YouTube...I like the song and even tho it isn't
really about the cars from the 7 line in Flushing I still think it goes
along with the vid. they took the old R31 and R33 cars and dumped em
in the ocean to make artificial reefs. to think that a train radio
bracket I installed out in Flushing Yard is now part of a reef for fishies.

--
Phony PhDs need love too...someone's got to stir the ****
˜º
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't a foot brake be a little rough on the soles?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

On Sat, 23 May 2015 19:40:52 +0100, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news I thought drum brakes were stopped decades ago, most cars where you can see
the brakes have disks all round. But I saw a few modern (4 year old) mid
range cars with what I assume is a drum brake at the back. Or is there
something else nowadays?

Cars on the Tiny Island Nation (of buck-toothed rascals) are what Americans
used to drive in the 1920s.
LOL

Americans still can't make a car that goes round corners.

Still a fair number of front disk/rear drum vehicles being turned
out. The rear brakes do very little of the braking in normal use, so
high temperature brake fade is not a big issue on the rear - and drum
parking brakes are just SO much easier to make work properly

Except they don't. A brake operated by a cable on a vehicle as heavy as a car is simply pointless. I always have to park in gear to stop it rolling down a hill.

--
What did God say when he made the first black man? "Damn, I burnt one."
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.suicide.methods,uk.rec.driving

On Sun, 24 May 2015 06:18:36 +0100, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:

"NEMO" wrote in message
On 5/23/2015 11:40 AM, Colon Edmud Burchese wrote:
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news I thought drum brakes were stopped decades ago, most cars where you
can see the brakes have disks all round. But I saw a few modern (4
year old) mid range cars with what I assume is a drum brake at the
back. Or is there something else nowadays?

--
"An abstract noun," the teacher said, "is something you can think of,
but you can't touch it. Can you give me an example of one?"
"Sure," a teenage boy replied. "My mother's pussy."

Cars on the Tiny Island Nation (of buck-toothed rascals) are what
Americans used to drive in the 1920s.
LOL

Americans couldn't drive then and they still can't drive! LOLOK

I COULD DRIVE THIS DILDO UP YER COLOSTOMY, YOU ENGLISH PHAGGOT!
LOL

You're the faggot if you have one of those.

--
A government survey has shown that 91% of illegal immigrants come to this country so that they can see their own doctor.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

How often do people use the handbrake in an emergency?

--
The problem with today's society is adults are treated like children, children are treated like retards, and retards are exempt from the law.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

On 5/24/2015 8:02 AM, dino wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

it worked for Barney and Fred

--
Phony PhDs need love too...someone's got to stir the ****
˜º
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

I'd assume anyone who has their wits about them and the brake pedal all
the way to the floor. I've done it and I guarantee the pucker factor
was there until the bitch stopped. used the hand brake on a 2 1/2 T
truck to 'assist' in controlling the rear going back and forth as we
went down a hill we should have never climbed in the first place. Mars
Hill at Camp Samae San Thailand my co-driver Bennie got as pale as a
black man could get and I don't doubt my freckles went away

--
Phony PhDs need love too...someone's got to stir the ****
˜º
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

I only once had a car with brakes like that. And that's because I hadn't bothered giving it an MOT for a long time. Gears and handbrake on every stop (no footbrakes at all).

--
FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica , 45 volumes.
Excellent condition, £200 or best offer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

In article , ¡Jones says...

Drum brakes perform better under heavy loads and long hills than disk
brakes because they are better able to dissipate heat.

I disagree.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

dino wrote:

In article , ¡Jones says...

Drum brakes perform better under heavy loads and long hills than disk
brakes because they are better able to dissipate heat.

I disagree.

Son, jones is a self-admitted troll and you've just been trolled...sucker.
;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265 says...

wrote:

[...]

A properly adjusted parking brake should stop a car from rolling. I've had them
actually lock up the rear wheels while moving.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

Funny how I've never had one that powerful, even after an MOT has fixed it. Probably has to be brand new cable, and brand new drums/disks/whatever at the back.

--
You can listen to thunder after lightning to tell how close you came to getting hit. If you don't hear it never mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

Everyone knows that. And most everyone in hilly areas know to
park with extra safety precautions...because, as you obviously
don't grasp, parking brakes are not always properly adjusted...moron.
;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

In article , The Stumpster says...

On 5/24/2015 8:02 AM, dino wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

True.

On an old Willys Jeep that I had, the parking brake was on the drive train, on
the transfer case rear output shaft. The transfer case always leaked gear oil,
even with new seals, which found its way into the brake drum and got soaked up
by the shoe linings. Greasy brakes don't work.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

The trouble is they go out of adjustment if a fly lands on them.

--
You may be a cunning linguist, but I am a master debater.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

On Sun, 24 May 2015 18:13:49 +0100, dino wrote:

In article , The Stumpster says...

On 5/24/2015 8:02 AM, dino wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

The park position on an automatic works very well indeed. Why can a similar thing not exist on a manual gearbox? (For those stupid people who want manual gearboxes)

--
Recent medical journals are now advising doctors that, should they discover a patient has an AOL account, they should refrain from telling the patient they have sugar in their urine.
Studies show these people go home and **** on their cornflakes.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

If possible always curb park in hilly areas for safety.
;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...psfewzz8ai.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

I've found handbrake and 1st gear is enough, unless it's ridiculously steep.

--
101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan are the only two Disney animated features in which both the parents are present and don't die throughout the movie.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BECAUSE-FREN.../dp/B00GPLM8KI

--
I learnt so much from my mistakes I think I'll make another.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

very good then...the biggest fear is someone accidentily bumping
your car and knocking it out of gear and/or brake causing a runaway car.

use your best judgment...that's all anyone could ask
;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

How can you knock a car out of gear or the brake off from the outside?

--
Quando omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving

wrote:

[...]

I've heard it could happen...is that a myth?
;-)