Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,uk.rec.driving
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Lettuce Talk aboot "Brum Drakes."

On Sun, 24 May 2015 15:29:53 +0100, The Stumpster wrote:

On 5/24/2015 8:30 AM, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2015 23:12:31 +0100, The Stumpster
wrote:

On 5/23/2015 4:54 PM, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2015 22:30:38 +0100, The Stumpster
wrote:

On 5/23/2015 1:59 PM, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2015 19:40:52 +0100, Col. Edmund Burke
wrote:

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news I thought drum brakes were stopped decades ago, most cars where you
can see
the brakes have disks all round. But I saw a few modern (4 year
old)
mid
range cars with what I assume is a drum brake at the back. Or is
there
something else nowadays?

Cars on the Tiny Island Nation (of buck-toothed rascals) are what
Americans
used to drive in the 1920s.
LOL

Americans still can't make a car that goes round corners.

it's far easier to put an emergency brake on a drum system so the non
drive wheels in the rear and my truck has drum brakes on the rear....I
know that chevy seemed to have a minidrumbrake on the center of the
rear
rotors on the fancy 4 wh disc jobberdos...and hey, we ain't got round
corners so we don't need cars that can go round a corner

What is an "emergency brake"? We only have those on trains.

perhaps, good sir, you call them 'hand brakes' do the kids over there
like to pull the emergency in one of the rear passenger cars and throw
the whole train into 'emergency stop'? they sure like to get the grids
smoking on the NYC subway system. possibly the newer revenue cars
have somthing to protect them from the lil 2 legged *******s.

How often do people use the handbrake in an emergency?

I'd assume anyone who has their wits about them and the brake pedal all
the way to the floor. I've done it and I guarantee the pucker factor
was there until the bitch stopped. used the hand brake on a 2 1/2 T
truck to 'assist' in controlling the rear going back and forth as we
went down a hill we should have never climbed in the first place. Mars
Hill at Camp Samae San Thailand my co-driver Bennie got as pale as a
black man could get and I don't doubt my freckles went away

I only once had a car with brakes like that. And that's because I hadn't bothered giving it an MOT for a long time. Gears and handbrake on every stop (no footbrakes at all).

--
FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica , 45 volumes.
Excellent condition, £200 or best offer.