Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

I run my self-cleaning electric oven about once a year, for the last 3
years. It gets really hot to burn off the dirt. Takes about 3 hours
iirc. Works quite well.

This time, I happened to have two CO detectors plugged in. My new one
started beeping so I plugged in the old one I hadn't used for 3 years or
so. Then I read the online manual and found out the beeps meant the new
one needed a new battery. So I put one in, and now both were plugged
in.

The self-cleaning was running for an hour when the AC powered smoke
detector started beeping. No batteries to remove and I still don't
know what circuit it's on.

So I stayed in the basement for another 90 minutes and when I went two
the second floor, I noticed the OLD CO detector said 50, which I suppose
is 50 parts per million. The oid one was in the hall at the top of the
stairs. The new one, around two corners in the master bedroom bathroom,
that is, farther away, said ZERO.

50 is not high and the alarm wasn't alarmed or alarming, but the digital
readout said 50, for about another 15 or 30 minutes.

Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2015 12:05 AM, micky wrote:

snip

50 is not high and the alarm wasn't alarmed or alarming, but the digital
readout said 50, for about another 15 or 30 minutes.

Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

http://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension...anges-aen-205/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2015 6:59 AM, philo wrote:
On 04/04/2015 12:05 AM, micky wrote:

snip

50 is not high and the alarm wasn't alarmed or alarming, but the digital
readout said 50, for about another 15 or 30 minutes.

Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

http://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension...anges-aen-205/

I had assumed his self cleaning oven was electric.
Incomplete combustion of carbon sources can generate carbon monoxide but
there is probably not enough residue in the oven to generate enough to
worry about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 8:14:41 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/4/2015 6:59 AM, philo wrote:
On 04/04/2015 12:05 AM, micky wrote:

snip

50 is not high and the alarm wasn't alarmed or alarming, but the digital
readout said 50, for about another 15 or 30 minutes.

Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

http://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension...anges-aen-205/

I had assumed his self cleaning oven was electric.
Incomplete combustion of carbon sources can generate carbon monoxide but
there is probably not enough residue in the oven to generate enough to
worry about.

+1

I'd expect it would very likely produce some CO because it's
almost certainly not a clean, stoichiometric burn. But it's
not enough for concern.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/04/2015 07:14 AM, Frank wrote:
On 4/4/2015 6:59 AM, philo wrote:
On 04/04/2015 12:05 AM, micky wrote:

snip

50 is not high and the alarm wasn't alarmed or alarming, but the digital
readout said 50, for about another 15 or 30 minutes.

Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

http://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension...anges-aen-205/

I had assumed his self cleaning oven was electric.
Incomplete combustion of carbon sources can generate carbon monoxide but
there is probably not enough residue in the oven to generate enough to
worry about.

I re-read his post and yep, it is electric.

At any rate, there is of course a small amount of incomplete combustion
simply from the food residue. The amount of CO emitted is too small to
worry about though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2015 6:59 AM, philo wrote:
On 04/04/2015 12:05 AM, micky wrote:

snip

50 is not high and the alarm wasn't alarmed or alarming, but the
digital
readout said 50, for about another 15 or 30 minutes.

Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

http://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension...anges-aen-205/

I had assumed his self cleaning oven was electric.
Incomplete combustion of carbon sources can generate carbon monoxide but
there is probably not enough residue in the oven to generate enough to
worry about.

I re-read his post and yep, it is electric.

At any rate, there is of course a small amount of incomplete combustion
simply from the food residue. The amount of CO emitted is too small to
worry about though.

Hi,
Not enough to even make one sick. Any hiow I turn on the overhead fan
when self-cleaning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 05:57:04 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

there is probably not enough residue in the oven to generate enough to
worry about.

+1

I'd expect it would very likely produce some CO because it's
almost certainly not a clean, stoichiometric burn. But it's
not enough for concern.

I'm probably not the best person to reply to this, cuz I've never owned
a self cleaning oven. As a matter of fact, it's probably been 20 years
since I last used an oven. But I recall back in the 70's or maybe early
80's, I lived with someone who used some of that spray oven cleaner. The
fumes were enough to make me go outdoors and stay out of that house for
hours. Before going back in the house, we had to run some windoww fans,
and that was in mid-winter. That stuff is far worse than carbon
monoxide. We never used it again. We scrubbed the oven by hand after
that, even if it took hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.driving

"micky" wrote in message
Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

Whatz a self-cleaning over, rubber lips?
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.driving

On 04/04/2015 03:05 PM, Col. Edmund Burke wrote:
"micky" wrote in message
Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

Whatz a self-cleaning over, rubber lips?
LOL

On 2-way radios, people say "over" when they're through. There is a
device that monitors a person's speech and inserts a "self-cleaning
over" before any "dirty language", preventing such words from being heard.

--
"It rains on the just and the unjust," but rarely just enough on
either." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 14:17:03 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 4/4/2015 1:56 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 12:41:13 -0600, wrote:

I'm probably not the best person to reply to this, cuz I've never owned
a self cleaning oven. As a matter of fact, it's probably been 20 years
since I last used an oven. But I recall back in the 70's or maybe early
80's, I lived with someone who used some of that spray oven cleaner. The
fumes were enough to make me go outdoors and stay out of that house for
hours. Before going back in the house, we had to run some windoww fans,
and that was in mid-winter. That stuff is far worse than carbon
monoxide. We never used it again. We scrubbed the oven by hand after
that, even if it took hours.

Today's oven cleaner does not have the fumes and smells it did decades
ago. I still use it, mostly outside on racks and such. Cost less at
a dollar store.

Have not done a full search and maybe there are safe ones but
there is enough caustic in oven cleaners to blind you:

http://www.merchantsfoodservice.com/...ets/188482.pdf

I'm surprised that there were not a lot of serious accidents using them.

A lot of accidents probably occur with househild chemicals, but stuff
like that generally dont hit the news! Mixing bleach and ammonia is one
such thing that can quickly produce some very toxic fumes. I found that
out the hard way when I was still in high school, and doing part time
janitorial work after school. My boss told me to pour some bottles of
cleaner in a mop bucket, but did not clearly say which bottles. The
fumes were so bad the fire department had to come, and the building was
evacuated. I thought I was fired, but instead my boss got in trouble for
not giving clear instructions. After that, the ammonia was placed in a
locked container, and only the boss had the key for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.driving

"micky" wrote in message
Can a self-cleaning over generate carbon monoxide?

Whatz a self-cleaning over, rubber lips?
LOL

On 2-way radios, people say "over" when they're through. There is a
device that monitors a person's speech and inserts a "self-cleaning
over" before any "dirty language", preventing such words from being heard.

I'm taking a ham raido class, ten weeks, and then
the test. Bet my teacher would get a smile from
the self cleaning over.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.cycling,gr.rec.greeking

On 4/5/2015 9:10 PM, NEMO wrote:
On 4/5/2015 4:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm taking a ham raido class, ten weeks, and then
the test. Bet my teacher would get a smile from
the self cleaning over.

Ham radio class? Is it kosher? LOLK

Now, I've offended Jews and Muslims. All I have
left in life is to offend the Christians, with a
dipole antenna in the shape of a crucifix, and....

I'd best go stick my head in a self cleaning oven
and it's all over for me.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.driving

On 4/5/2015 9:43 PM, Sir Gregory Philpot wrote:

I'm taking a ham raido class, ten weeks, and then
the test. Bet my teacher would get a smile from
the self cleaning over.

Especially with a little Eazy-Off!

Especially the no fume kind? I hate choking in a
self cleaning oven.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.cycling,gr.rec.greeking

On 04/06/2015 07:13 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Now, I've offended Jews and Muslims. All I have
left in life is to offend the Christians, with a
dipole antenna in the shape of a crucifix, and....

Just wave the BOM at them; they'll be offended.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jerry.Tan, Dominique wrote:
Self cleaning ovens can and do produce Carbon monoxide and it can be enough to
make a person feel very sick for days. Its happened to me and I no longer
use the self cleaning feature.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...de-827598-.htm

Carbon Monoxide detector DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 52 November 7th 13 02:16 PM
Carbon Monoxide Detector DerbyBorn[_4_] UK diy 13 October 25th 13 09:49 PM
Carbon Monoxide detector Terry Pinnell[_3_] Electronics Repair 3 May 10th 11 05:22 PM
Carbon monoxide Dee UK diy 5 October 5th 05 05:01 PM
Carbon monoxide detectors chemqueries Home Repair 24 March 25th 05 02:09 AM