Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Default Update on the treehouse bridge in the redwoods of the Santa Cruzmountains

Just to give you an update, the bridge was repaired after
the last section fell down in the earlier Pineapple Express:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7478/1...ec573ed9_c.jpg

Those earlier storms took down a few nearby Monterey Pines, which
decapitated the Internet access to the bridge & the temporary power:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8598/1...e3aaedc1_b.jpg

We had to restring the Internet access in addition to the
electrical lines running for hundreds of feet along the forest floor:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7285/1...afb91b3e_c.jpg

We also had to detach the bridge from the support at the smaller
redwood trees (which are, themselves, at least 100 feet tall), but
we added a swinging cable, to take some of the load off the cables:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8574/1...55d6e1ec_c.jpg

Now the bridge is almost at the large redwood tree, almost 100 feet
from the starting point, and now 16 feet wide, instead of the original
10 feet wide for most of the length of the cable bridge:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7426/1...257e7858_c.jpg

Here is an underside view of the bridge (I can't fit the whole thing
into a single picture because it's too long from the ground looking up):
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8642/1...972b0444_c.jpg

Here's a side view (again, the hillside being what it is, I can't get
the whole thing into a single picture):
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7460/1...a6f74fab_b.jpg

Each section is 16 feet long, by 10 feet wide, and hung on the 3/8"
steel cable for support, and I'd say we're about 30 to 40 feet up:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8598/1...7e455b86_b.jpg

We still use the cargo net, slung between the trees, in order to
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7303/1...15a30cd9_c.jpg

We only have about 8 feet to go, and we'll be at the big tree,
and ready to start building the two-story treehouse, which, in the
end, will include running water, electricity, Internet, etc.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7350/1...aeced5d3_c.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Lots of work.
I live in the redwoods in Fort Bragg.
I have had thoughts of one special tree, and getting to the height where I
can see the ocean....
It is still a dream though.
John

"Danny D." wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 04:55:14 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

[...]

Is all of this subject to local building codes?
Seems to me somebody is going to end up dead from a long fall.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Vic Smith wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 08:49:38 -0600:

Is all of this subject to local building codes?
Seems to me somebody is going to end up dead from a long fall.

It's my understanding that the local building codes do not pertain
to tree houses.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

"Danny D." wrote in message
Vic Smith wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 08:49:38 -0600:

Is all of this subject to local building codes?
Seems to me somebody is going to end up dead from a long fall.

It's my understanding that the local building codes do not pertain
to tree houses.

does your insurance cover it. Like when your buddy takes a header?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 08:01:33 -0800, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

It's my understanding that the local building codes do not pertain
to tree houses.

does your insurance cover it. Like when your buddy takes a header?

You fire the help before they hit the ground
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 9:55:54 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:
Just to give you an update, the bridge was repaired after
the last section fell down in the earlier Pineapple Express:

Danny, I don't wish you any bad luck and you certainly are determined to complete your project BUT it will be for naught. Mother nature will get you again. You really need some consulting engineers to finish the "project" before it goes down again. If your trees never moved it would be a different story but the variables are against you.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Don't all those trees sway (asynchronously!) in the wind?

You could occasionally get the equivalent of a rogue wave, a big spike
of acceleration.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Pico Rico wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 08:01:33 -0800:

does your insurance cover it. Like when your buddy takes a header?

You'll notice our "insurance" consists of lots of safety lines.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7403/1...36e4cb9d_c.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Oren wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 08:21:15 -0800:

You fire the help before they hit the ground

That's a good idea, to get 'em off the payroll, before they hit
the ground.

Most of the neighbors have been pitching in, so, that's a large
payroll to downsize quickly.

Here's a view of the way down from the end closest to the big redwood:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7299/1...1f90346c_c.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 18:51:19 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Oren wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 08:21:15 -0800:

You fire the help before they hit the ground

That's a good idea, to get 'em off the payroll, before they hit
the ground.

Most of the neighbors have been pitching in, so, that's a large
payroll to downsize quickly.

You bet. Just tell John Law "it was the worse case of suicide I ever
saw!"

Here's a view of the way down from the end closest to the big redwood:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7299/1...1f90346c_c.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Roy wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 09:22:32 -0800:

Danny, I don't wish you any bad luck and you certainly are
determined to complete your project BUT it will be for naught.
Mother nature will get you again. You really need some consulting
engineers to finish the "project" before it goes down again.
If your trees never moved it would be a different story but
the variables are against you.

What? You're not our consulting engineers?
I have proof that we consulted you, and everyone here!

To your point, the trees did move in the last Pineapple Express
which caused the last slung section to crumple to the ground:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8681/1...274620db_c.jpg

It also caused the wood to split in a couple of places:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7335/1...f97f9956_b.jpg

We determined it was, as you said, because the small trees moved,
so, we detached the bridge from the small redwoods in the middle:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8657/1...7505afd3_b.jpg

Now the bridge is no longer attached in the center, to the
small redwoods to either side of the 10-foot-wide section:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7390/1...bd3907b2_b.jpg

One other problem is that the bridge "bent" in the middle; but
we'll plan to resolve that when we do the final leveling:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7369/1...329e8091_b.jpg

We only have about 8 feet to go, and then we can walk from
ground level, to something like 30 or 40 feet up, over about
75 feet of length, and be flat and level the entire distance:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8647/1...7c0b7fba_b.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

John Larkin wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 09:39:53 -0800:

Don't all those trees sway (asynchronously!) in the wind?

You could occasionally get the equivalent of a rogue wave, a big spike
of acceleration.

I'm not sure how they sway in the wind, but, we decoupled the 75-foot
long bridge from the middle trees after that last storm, and we're
hoping to see the bridge still there after the one that is raging as
we type.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7394/1...b70b7c5d_c.jpg

One thing we noticed is that, in the wind, the bridge actually *rises*
a few inches, like what happens with an airplane wing or a sailboat sail.

Since the bottom is dirtier, with respect to laminar flow, we suspect
the air flows faster over the top than over the bottom:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8647/1...7c0b7fba_b.jpg

The whole bridge is roughly the size of an airplane wing:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8642/1...972b0444_c.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Danny D. wrote:
[...]

I hope you're a better engineer than the pros.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

Your insurance company will likely cancel you in a moment when they find out
about this.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Bob F wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 13:02:33 -0800:

I hope you're a better engineer than the pros.

The Tacoma Narrows bridge is nothing like this, in length, anyway.
But, your point is well taken.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 19:10:02 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

John Larkin wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 09:39:53 -0800:

Don't all those trees sway (asynchronously!) in the wind?

You could occasionally get the equivalent of a rogue wave, a big spike
of acceleration.

I'm not sure how they sway in the wind, but, we decoupled the 75-foot
long bridge from the middle trees after that last storm, and we're
hoping to see the bridge still there after the one that is raging as
we type.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7394/1...b70b7c5d_c.jpg

Yeah, we're getting some wild gusts today in the Alemany Gap, a break
in the coast hills between the ocean and the bay, our own local wind
tunnel.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...MtSanBruno.JPG

One thing we noticed is that, in the wind, the bridge actually *rises*
a few inches, like what happens with an airplane wing or a sailboat sail.

Since the bottom is dirtier, with respect to laminar flow, we suspect
the air flows faster over the top than over the bottom:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8647/1...7c0b7fba_b.jpg

The whole bridge is roughly the size of an airplane wing:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8642/1...972b0444_c.jpg

Yikes. Suspension bridges have all sorts of aerodynamic issues.
Galloping Gertie and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

It's called flutter in aerodynamics. This is what happens when the
frequency of the aeolian tone matches the deck-twist resonant
frequency.

When it happens to an airplane wing, the airplane is usually lost.
Look at some of the film clips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroelasticity#Flutter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQI3AWpTWhM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl2E...ZiYkfdJzm_UaYq
vWwY4xeR7hil&index=7

One can greatly reduce the effect by spacing the boards apart by say an
inch, which will equalize the pressure. The world is full of rope
bridges over chasms, erected by people who never heard of aerodynamics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolian_harp

The whole idea of rigid decks spanning flexible trees seems destined to
fail.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

I am still wondering about the overall width of such a bridge.
I would think, that a smaller width would be stronger, and lighter, and
still manage to carry one over with parts and pieces to the actual tree
house.
just a few thoughts....
john

"Danny D." wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Joe Gwinn wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 18:32:00 -0500:

One can greatly reduce the effect by spacing the boards apart by say an
inch, which will equalize the pressure.

We're currently using a Philips screwdriver blade as the spacer between boards.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7338/1...2c0d8465_c.jpg

Maybe we should use something thicker.
This is a great idea, which I will share with the bridge owner.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On 2/7/2015 10:55 PM, Danny D. wrote:
[...]

Sorry to see the work being done over - and such.
We used to live on Hwy 9 off Glengary. Had about 100 of the sprouts
that came up after the clear cut making lumber for SFO. Mine were
between 100 and 130 feet When we left in 2006. Kinda miss the place.
Now I have large oaks and tall pines.

Martin

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 02:41:07 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Joe Gwinn wrote, on Sun, 08 Feb 2015 18:32:00 -0500:

One can greatly reduce the effect by spacing the boards apart by say an
inch, which will equalize the pressure.

We're currently using a Philips screwdriver blade as the spacer between
boards.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7338/1...2c0d8465_c.jpg

Maybe we should use something thicker.
This is a great idea, which I will share with the bridge owner.

Thanks!

You mean a philips screwdriver shank?

Get a number three. Some of them are square shank, even more "precise".
And they are certainly bigger.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote, on Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:02:42 +0000:

You mean a philips screwdriver shank?

Get a number three. Some of them are square shank, even more "precise".
And they are certainly bigger.

Yes. Sorry. Shank.

Actually, truth be admitted, the first two sections were perfectly aligned,
but, the next two "curved" a bit, due to the difficulties of getting every
board lined up straight while being hung from the cables, so, at times,
it's a screwdriver shank on the right side, but an inch (or so) on the left.

Looking up from below, you can see that these third and fourth 16-foot
sections have a larger board-to-board spacing on the right than on the left:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8632/1...60268c0b_c.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 14:11:29 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote, on Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:02:42 +0000:

You mean a philips screwdriver shank?

Get a number three. Some of them are square shank, even more
"precise".
And they are certainly bigger.

Yes. Sorry. Shank.

Actually, truth be admitted, the first two sections were perfectly
aligned, but, the next two "curved" a bit, due to the difficulties of
getting every board lined up straight while being hung from the cables,
so, at times, it's a screwdriver shank on the right side, but an inch
(or so) on the left.

"We want to splay... just a little bit longer..." --Jackson Browne

Looking up from below, you can see that these third and fourth 16-foot
sections have a larger board-to-board spacing on the right than on the
left:

snip

Arc of the Boardament. Just think of railroad tracks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 9:10:43 PM UTC-7, Martin Eastburn wrote:
[...]

Believe me, Danny will be doing it over many, many times 'cause unless he is a spider that walkway will not endure. Perhaps if he made a playhouse suspended over the side of the mountain, it might work out for him. He could use a ladder or stairway down to the playhouse. Maybe even a cave in the side of the mountain like the Indians of Arizona created.
==========
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

We reached a milestone this lovely sunny VD weekend in the mountains:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7370/1...48c61f1f_c.jpg

After four 16-foot sections, we're only about 4 or 5 feet from the tree:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8637/1...cbb11e00_c.jpg

I can't get the whole bridge in the picture, but here's a side view:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7284/1...14ed76cd_b.jpg

Here's an angled view showing the 10-foot wide sections:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7370/1...0511bfaf_b.jpg

And, here's a view showing the last set of 16-foot wide boards:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7414/1...ca7a421f_c.jpg

We're not sure how we're going to attach the end to the tree though:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7359/1...38b3ab6b_b.jpg

We wrestled two 16 foot beams to either side of the big tree for now:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8566/1...37d554c5_c.jpg

We're not sure how we're going to attach to the big redwood yet
though, so, that is our next engineering task to figure out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2015 11:25 PM, Danny D. wrote:
We reached a milestone this lovely sunny VD weekend in the mountains:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7370/1...48c61f1f_c.jpg

After four 16-foot sections, we're only about 4 or 5 feet from the tree:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8637/1...cbb11e00_c.jpg

Is that you Spiderman?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 06:25:51 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

We're not sure how we're going to attach to the big redwood yet
though, so, that is our next engineering task to figure out

When the dog finally walks out on the structure, you'll have it about
right
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

We're not sure how we're going to attach to the big redwood yet though,
so, that is our next engineering task to figure out

When the dog finally walks out on the structure, you'll have it about
right

Drill a big hole through it, and put a stainless bar through the hole.
Voila! Attachment pins!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 11:26:33 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:
[...]

When the wind blows the cradle will rock and down will come baby...cradle and all.
=====
Posted to alt.home.repair
[...]

I saved a copy of all of those pictures in case I need a "before and after" scenario...but seriously I hope you succeed in your project.
====

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

We're not sure how we're going to attach to the big redwood yet though,
so, that is our next engineering task to figure out

When the dog finally walks out on the structure, you'll have it about
right

Drill a big hole through it, and put a stainless bar through the hole.
Voila! Attachment pins!

That should weaken the tree so it is sure to fail. Every see what
happens to trees, in high winds after woodpeckers make a hole in a
loblolly pine tree - they snap off during hurricane winds and
woodpeckers have no place to live (Carolina's - coastal region)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Oren wrote, on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:19:58 -0800:

When the dog finally walks out on the structure, you'll have it about
right

Oren, ever since kooties and large feet, I've learned that when you
say the huckleberries are ripe, the huckleberries are ripe.

I should have taken a picture of it, but, the dog stays mostly on
the other side of the fence, not even close to the bridge anymore.

Certainly he doesn't venture out on the bridge.
Some day, I'll snap a picture if he does though.

For you, my friend.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote, on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 19:24:43 +0000:

Drill a big hole through it, and put a stainless bar through the hole.
Voila! Attachment pins!

Right now, the two 16-foot boards to the side of the tree are unattached
at the tree (they're screwed into the floating bridge only).
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8566/1...37d554c5_c.jpg

At the moment, the bridge is wholly supported by the cables and, at the
low end, by the posts we first cemented into the ground, when we started
this project in the untrampled woods.

It is time for those attachment pins you speak of though...

What we are thinking is that they sell these $100 treehouse attachment
bolts, designed specifically for trees (but they're expensive since
we'd use probably use four or six of them overall).
http://www.treehousesupplies.com/Tre...Bolts_s/41.htm

We can't find anything larger than one-inch wide bolts at our local
Home Depot, so, we have to order our bolts online, at any measure.

We're debating right now the feasibility of 1 inch or 2 inch bolts,
which are about twenty bucks each, versus the treehouse attachment
bolts which are five times as expensive.
http://treehouseparts.mybigcommerce....2-36-hardness/

So, that's our next question. What kind of bolts make the most sense,
keeping cost in the equation (if cost were no object, the treehouse
bolts would do quite well).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote, on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:45:21 -0800:

When the wind blows the cradle will rock and down will come baby...
cradle and all.

Ye who have no faith in the religion of alt.home.repair denizens shakes head in dismay
I'll sic Chris on you, ye who does not believe! said in a rising voice.

The grace of God shines on these here Redwoods!
We shall overcome the forces of Hell, and rise, beyond all those who
wish us evil!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Roy wrote, on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:47:50 -0800:

I saved a copy of all of those pictures in case I need
a "before and after" scenario...but seriously I hope you
succeed in your project.

Thanks for your well wishing.
It is one of a kind, so, we're learning as we go.
In the end, it will be pretty neat though, don't you think?

It a 10-foot wide suspension bridge, which starts at ground level
on a path in the redwoods about a thousand feet (or so) from the
nearest anything, and then goes for about 70 feet to a large
second-growth redwood, where the deck expands to 16 feet wide.

Sitting on the wide decking, about 40 feet above the ground, will
be a two story treehouse, with a bathroom, kitchen, electricity,
gas heating, and WiFi Internet (which is something we're experts
at by now, given that we all maintain our own radio antennas).

We're thinking of suspending the treehouse with 1/2 inch cable
wrapped from the big tree to the two smaller trees cradling
the bridge at about the half-way point that you see to the
right in this picture.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7284/1...14ed76cd_b.jpg

So, that way, the treehouse and the suspension bridge would
be, in effect, supported separately (or we might make the support
mutual and redundant). We're also thinking of adding downward
hanging support cables, again from the smaller redwoods to the
decking, to add redundancy once the treehouse weight goes up.

One problem we have been having is we have had to constantly
adjust the tilt and leveling of the bridge, as weight was added
to the end. We ended up buying a dozen cable winches, which are
what is holding the bridge up now, one of which can be seen in
the left in this photo below.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7414/1...ca7a421f_c.jpg

We also may erect a few more nets so that we can walk out to
the neighboring trees. In fact, if you look closely, you can
see two different nets in the picture above. One is to the
top left of the picture, and the other is in the center right,
in the big redwood tree itself, where someone spent months
sleeping in and writing a book, many years ago (his net is
still there, 40 feet up in the tree; but we would replace it
as it's not safe to use probably, being fifty years old).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

5On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 20:17:24 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Oren wrote, on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:19:58 -0800:

When the dog finally walks out on the structure, you'll have it about
right

Oren, ever since kooties and large feet, I've learned that when you
say the huckleberries are ripe, the huckleberries are ripe.

I should have taken a picture of it, but, the dog stays mostly on
the other side of the fence, not even close to the bridge anymore.

Certainly he doesn't venture out on the bridge.
Some day, I'll snap a picture if he does though.

For you, my friend.

The dog is whispering to you... I'm still your huckleberry, though.

I'd hate to see a bean counter get hurt.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Oren wrote, on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 12:54:30 -0800:

The dog is whispering to you... I'm still your huckleberry, though.

I'd hate to see a bean counter get hurt.

Interestingly, that dog is fantastically protective!

When the mountain lion came by, and we didn't know it, he was
barking and yelping like crazy and growling, which is not his
normal nature. It was only later, when one of the animals got
killed, during the storm, where the dog was locked inside,
that we had realized what he was making all that commotion about.

So, now, the dog stays outside, with the rest of the animals,
to protect them, even during the storms (which may have abated
until next winter, by now).
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/16/2015 2:24 PM, Danny D. wrote:

What we are thinking is that they sell these $100 treehouse attachment
bolts, designed specifically for trees (but they're expensive since
we'd use probably use four or six of them overall).
http://www.treehousesupplies.com/Tre...Bolts_s/41.htm

We can't find anything larger than one-inch wide bolts at our local
Home Depot, so, we have to order our bolts online, at any measure.

We're debating right now the feasibility of 1 inch or 2 inch bolts,
which are about twenty bucks each, versus the treehouse attachment
bolts which are five times as expensive.

That'd be cheap if it fails with somebody on it...

So, that's our next question. What kind of bolts make the most sense,
keeping cost in the equation (if cost were no object, the treehouse
bolts would do quite well).

There's bound to be a local Fastenal outfit nearby or similar but it's
not clear what you're comparing.

Those are a constant-diameter shank equivalent of a heavy-thread screw
in a hardened material supplied with an integral bolster. I see no
reason why one couldn't use any compatible compression sleeve; machining
that is undoubtedly a large component of the cost of these.

There's a link to an engineer's report at the site that says ultimate
capacity of these in shear is roughly 8500 lb in Doug fir; and Appendix
is referenced that compares material properties of other species
including redwood but it is, unfortunately not available. I'm quite
certain redwood will derate that performance by a pretty sizable chunk
but don't know a specific figure otomh.

Plus, again you need at _least_ a 2X (preferably imo 3X) safety factor.

I also noted the recommendation on one of these sites that before using
these to get a qualified arborist and engineer involved...methinks we've
been over that ploughed ground before that there's little heavy-lifting
on the engineering side going on first...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 20:56:18 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Oren wrote, on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 12:54:30 -0800:

The dog is whispering to you... I'm still your huckleberry, though.

I'd hate to see a bean counter get hurt.

Interestingly, that dog is fantastically protective!

When the mountain lion came by, and we didn't know it, he was
barking and yelping like crazy and growling, which is not his
normal nature. It was only later, when one of the animals got
killed, during the storm, where the dog was locked inside,
that we had realized what he was making all that commotion about.

So, now, the dog stays outside, with the rest of the animals,
to protect them, even during the storms (which may have abated
until next winter, by now).

I forgot about mountain lions over yonder. We have 'em here. I'd be
packing some heat in those places you visit and frequent.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design

Danny D. wrote:
[...]

I don't know what kind of bolt you will use, but here is my experience
with bolts in a living tree: I fastened some wooden squirrel feeders
to trees using lag bolts and washers. In a year the tree grew AROUND
the bolt, pulling it through the plank of the feeder. I learned to
put a spring between the bolt head and the washer to allow for this.

A threaded SS bar through the tree might be a better option, making it
longer than needed so you could back off the nut as the tree grows.
Of course you would want a jam nut so that it would not back off by
itself.

--
 GW Ross

 I am a mental tourist. My mind