Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin[_3_] John Larkin[_3_] is offline

Default Update on the treehouse bridge in the redwoods of the Santa Cruz mountains

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 04:55:14 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Just to give you an update, the bridge was repaired after
the last section fell down in the earlier Pineapple Express:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7478/1...ec573ed9_c.jpg

Those earlier storms took down a few nearby Monterey Pines, which
decapitated the Internet access to the bridge & the temporary power:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8598/1...e3aaedc1_b.jpg

We had to restring the Internet access in addition to the
electrical lines running for hundreds of feet along the forest floor:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7285/1...afb91b3e_c.jpg

We also had to detach the bridge from the support at the smaller
redwood trees (which are, themselves, at least 100 feet tall), but
we added a swinging cable, to take some of the load off the cables:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8574/1...55d6e1ec_c.jpg

Now the bridge is almost at the large redwood tree, almost 100 feet
from the starting point, and now 16 feet wide, instead of the original
10 feet wide for most of the length of the cable bridge:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7426/1...257e7858_c.jpg

Here is an underside view of the bridge (I can't fit the whole thing
into a single picture because it's too long from the ground looking up):
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8642/1...972b0444_c.jpg

Here's a side view (again, the hillside being what it is, I can't get
the whole thing into a single picture):
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7460/1...a6f74fab_b.jpg

Each section is 16 feet long, by 10 feet wide, and hung on the 3/8"
steel cable for support, and I'd say we're about 30 to 40 feet up:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8598/1...7e455b86_b.jpg

We still use the cargo net, slung between the trees, in order to
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7303/1...15a30cd9_c.jpg

We only have about 8 feet to go, and we'll be at the big tree,
and ready to start building the two-story treehouse, which, in the
end, will include running water, electricity, Internet, etc.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7350/1...aeced5d3_c.jpg

Don't all those trees sway (asynchronously!) in the wind?

You could occasionally get the equivalent of a rogue wave, a big spike
of acceleration.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com