Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Computer monitor V/S HDTV with Computer input

My old LCD 17" computer monitor died and I'm not stuck using a 13" CRT
monitor, till I get another monitor. Although Ebay has some USED 17"
monitors fairly cheap, I'm thinking that I might just invest in a NEW
monitor. I'm sticking with 17" or maybe a 19". anything larger is too
big for my space.

I noticed that a monitor about that size is darn near the same price as
a HDTV of comparable size, and it seems most of the latest HDTV's have a
15 pin SVGA input. (which is what I use).

I already have a HDTV, but it's in another room, and I dont want to move
either the TV or the Computer. So, it would actually be nice to have
another TV as well as a monitor, and have it all in one, so the HDTV
would actually be preferred.

However, I recall being told that the HDTVs dont have adaquate
resolution to provide a decent image for computers. Yet, the person who
told me that was no expert and that was told to me quite a few years ago
too, which may not be applicable to the newer TVs.

Anyone know about this?

BTW: My computer is just an average computer and has standard built in
video card. It's not a high-end or gaming machine. The monitor that
died was a 17" HP 1740, which had a decent picture.

Thanks