Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default IBM computer monitor

Hi,

Hoping someone of you reading here could direct me to information on
the dis-assembly of a so-called IBM model E74 17 inch monitor. I
recently was given one, and it has something rattling around inside of
it, and also shows physical damage at one corner of its plastic
enclosure. Amazingly enough, it works great (I tried it before I
noticed the damage).

I searched for a bit at the IBM site, and on google-groups, but to no
avail - the main prob so far is I can't figure how to get it apart,
there are no screw heads showing anywhere, but I'd like to get
whatever loose bits out of there and give it a good cleaning, if
needed, it says it was made in the year 2000.

Thanks for any tips, hints or links in advance.

Mike
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mike wrote:
Hi,

Hoping someone of you reading here could direct me to information on
the dis-assembly of a so-called IBM model E74 17 inch monitor. I
recently was given one, and it has something rattling around inside of
it, and also shows physical damage at one corner of its plastic
enclosure. Amazingly enough, it works great (I tried it before I
noticed the damage).

I searched for a bit at the IBM site, and on google-groups, but to no
avail - the main prob so far is I can't figure how to get it apart,
there are no screw heads showing anywhere, but I'd like to get
whatever loose bits out of there and give it a good cleaning, if
needed, it says it was made in the year 2000.

Thanks for any tips, hints or links in advance.

Mike

Is this one of those with two slots on the top of the cover? If so,
you need a sharp tapered instrument to release the plastic latches
inside. Reply back and I can describe the tool.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 13:29:06 -0800 (PST), mike
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Hoping someone of you reading here could direct me to information on
the dis-assembly of a so-called IBM model E74 17 inch monitor.

Locate the FCC ID on the label and search the FCC database:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm

In the results, select Details and hopefully the internal photos will
show you the locations of the tabs that hold the covers together.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:47:53 +1100, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Locate the FCC ID on the label and search the FCC database:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm

Is this it?
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout =500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=94573&fcc_id ='H4IE74'

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article
,
mike wrote:

Hi,

Hoping someone of you reading here could direct me to information on
the dis-assembly of a so-called IBM model E74 17 inch monitor. I
recently was given one, and it has something rattling around inside of
it, and also shows physical damage at one corner of its plastic
enclosure. Amazingly enough, it works great (I tried it before I
noticed the damage).

I searched for a bit at the IBM site, and on google-groups, but to no
avail - the main prob so far is I can't figure how to get it apart,
there are no screw heads showing anywhere, but I'd like to get
whatever loose bits out of there and give it a good cleaning, if
needed, it says it was made in the year 2000.

Thanks for any tips, hints or links in advance.

If it works, why are you trying to fix it?

Isaac

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 22, 11:50*pm, isw wrote:
In article
,

*mike wrote:
Hi,

Hoping someone of you reading here could direct me to information on
the dis-assembly of a so-called IBM model E74 17 inch monitor. *I
recently was given one, and it has something rattling around inside of
it, and also shows physical damage at one corner of its plastic
enclosure. *Amazingly enough, it works great (I tried it before I
noticed the damage).

I searched for a bit at the IBM site, and on google-groups, but to no
avail - the main prob so far is I can't figure how to get it apart,
there are no screw heads showing anywhere, but I'd like to get
whatever loose bits out of there and give it a good cleaning, if
needed, it says it was made in the year 2000.

Thanks for any tips, hints or links in advance.

If it works, why are you trying to fix it?

Isaac

Well, it rattles when he shakes it. Why does he shake it? Dang if I
know.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

Yes, I noticed those but was afraid to go probing around "in there"
without knowing
how that's supposed to work. Thanks for your reply.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:47:53 +1100, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Locate the FCC ID on the label and search the FCC database:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm

Is this it?
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout =500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=94573&fcc_id ='H4IE74'

- Franc Zabkar

That kinda resembles it, but the buttons are in the wrong place - I
tried to locate the FCC info but
the only numbers in that little box were 6332, which caused me to read
the whole label further and discover the actual model #, as opposed to
the 'E74' that's on the front of the monitor. Sorry for the
misinformation.

Anyway, I found out there's about fifty different varieties of the
6332 listed on the Lenovo website, and none of the literature gives
any info about dis-assembly, I suppose because there are no user
serviceable parts.

BTW, that FCC website looks like a great resource. Thanks for your
help.
that I looked at so far gives even a hint of how to take 'em apart
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

isw wrote:
In article
,
mike wrote:

Hi,

Hoping someone of you reading here could direct me to information on
the dis-assembly of a so-called IBM model E74 17 inch monitor. I
recently was given one, and it has something rattling around inside of
it, and also shows physical damage at one corner of its plastic
enclosure. Amazingly enough, it works great (I tried it before I
noticed the damage).

I searched for a bit at the IBM site, and on google-groups, but to no
avail - the main prob so far is I can't figure how to get it apart,
there are no screw heads showing anywhere, but I'd like to get
whatever loose bits out of there and give it a good cleaning, if
needed, it says it was made in the year 2000.

Thanks for any tips, hints or links in advance.

If it works, why are you trying to fix it?

Isaac

Hmm, you must be one of those 'if it aint broke don't fix it guys' - I
guess I'm more of a 'lets get a little familiar with it so that it may
be a bit easier to deal with it if it does break' type a guy.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
On Nov 22, 11:50*pm, isw wrote:
In article
,

Well, it rattles when he shakes it. Why does he shake it? Dang if I
know.

Because it was there? g

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mike wrote:

Ken wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

I have sent you a message with an attachment describing the tool and
how to use it. Let me know if you need more info.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken wrote:
mike wrote:

Ken wrote:

Is this one of those with two slots on the top of the cover? If so,
you need a sharp tapered instrument to release the plastic latches
inside. Reply back and I can describe the tool.

Yes, I noticed those but was afraid to go probing around "in there"
without knowing
how that's supposed to work. Thanks for your reply.

I have sent you a message with an attachment describing the tool and
how to use it. Let me know if you need more info.

Got 'em, thanks - I'll have to see what I can come up with on my next
day off.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 23 Nov, 13:40, mike wrote:
isw wrote:
In article
,
*mike wrote:

[...]

I'd tend to go along with that -- it would be wise to ensure that it's
not a metal object that's going to short something out. I once had a
film projector where a spare fuse had dropped inside and was rolling
around causing intermittent short circuits (but not taking enough
current to self-destruct).

Chris
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

Well, it rattles when he shakes it. Why does he shake it? Dang if I
know.

I like my monitortinis shaken, not stirred? (cue rimshot)

William (not quitting his day job)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William R. Walsh wrote:

I like my monitortinis shaken, not stirred? (cue rimshot)

James? James Bombed, is that really you? (yeah, I know, I'm a little
slow, I'm not quitting my day job either)

William (not quitting his day job)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
s.com, mike writes

Yes, I noticed those but was afraid to go probing around "in there"
without knowing
how that's supposed to work.

You can open it with two small flat-blade screwdrivers, but you'll need
three hands. Insert the screwdriver horizontally until they will go no
further, then pull the handles up while a helper pulls the two halves of
the case apart.

There is also a hex-head self-tapping screw (maybe two) under the tilt-
n-swivel stand which need to be removed.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article
s.com, mike writes

Yes, I noticed those but was afraid to go probing around "in there"
without knowing
how that's supposed to work.

You can open it with two small flat-blade screwdrivers, but you'll need
three hands. Insert the screwdriver horizontally until they will go no
further, then pull the handles up while a helper pulls the two halves of
the case apart.

Thank you for that bit of info, I hadn't managed to come up with the
time or material to make anything yet, and had been wondering what to
do with the new tools when I get them made.

There is also a hex-head self-tapping screw (maybe two) under the tilt-
n-swivel stand which need to be removed.

Actually, there isn't, there are 2 locations that look like a good
place for a couple of screws, but instead it looks like there are 2
blank-headed rivets or something, the heads of which are about 3/8 of
an inch in diameter and totally smooth.

There is also a couple of springy elongated u-shaped plastic thingies
along the bottom where the case-parts join; they kinda can be moved
around a little bit if you squeeze 'em but they dont seem to have any
effect on holding things together no matter which way they're moved
around. Maybe after I've got the top separated they'll do something.

Thanks for your help,
Another Mike
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default IBM computer monitor - followup

mike wrote:

There is also a couple of springy elongated u-shaped plastic thingies
along the bottom where the case-parts join; they kinda can be moved
around a little bit if you squeeze 'em but they dont seem to have any
effect on holding things together no matter which way they're moved
around. Maybe after I've got the top separated they'll do something.

I made a couple little release-tools today and got into the monitor -
there was about a half dozen little plastic bits floating around in
there, no
wonder it rattled - it was amazingly clean inside, though, I guess
it's led a
sheltered life, aside from being dropped once.

If I'd had a couple good real small diameter screwdrivers
they probably would have worked for separating it, too.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:29:18 -0800 (PST), mike
put finger to keyboard and composed:

it was amazingly clean inside, though, I guess
it's led a sheltered life

When I used to attend computer auctions, the auctioneer would
sometimes describe such equipment as "ex-Government, hardly ever
used".

- Franc Zabkar