Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet in the kitchen and other home inspection follies

Un-flipping-believable.

Toilet in Kitchen - yes, it's functional. Yes, it blocks access to
the drawers and the sink base. No, we didn't "test" it.
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle...287621531.html

More crazy kludges at
https://plus.google.com/+Structuretech1/posts
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Moe DeLoughan" wrote in message
Un-flipping-believable.

Toilet in Kitchen - yes, it's functional. Yes, it blocks access to the
drawers and the sink base. No, we didn't "test" it.
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle...287621531.html

More crazy kludges at
https://plus.google.com/+Structuretech1/posts

Having a ****ter in the pantry is a good idea when you can't make it to the
bath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 10:19:06 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Un-flipping-believable.

Toilet in Kitchen - yes, it's functional. Yes, it blocks access to
the drawers and the sink base. No, we didn't "test" it.
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle...287621531.html

More crazy kludges at
https://plus.google.com/+Structuretech1/posts

The toilet one, if it's real, IMO is by far the winner.

I liked the caulked new shingles across the whole roof in the second link too.

The urinal and sink in an unfinished basement, they look properly installed. Probably a code violation to have them in an unfinished space, not in a bathroom enclosure, I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2015 9:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The urinal and sink in an unfinished basement, they look properly installed. Probably a code violation to have them in an unfinished space, not in a bathroom enclosure, I guess.

Saves ****ing in the sink. Enclosure aside, looks like a hand setup for
guys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 06:03:38 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

The urinal and sink in an unfinished basement, they look properly
installed. Probably a code violation to have them in an unfinished
space, not in a bathroom enclosure, I guess.

If that's a code violation, then there are millions of them around the
country. I've seen many basement toilets in private homes that have no
walls around them. Back in the mid 1900's that was a popular thing to
do. The key word is "PRIVATE HOME". In a commercial building, there
would be rules, but for obvious reasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The urinal and sink in an unfinished basement, they look properly
installed. Probably a code violation to have them in an unfinished
space, not in a bathroom enclosure, I guess.

If that's a code violation, then there are millions of them around the
country. I've seen many basement toilets in private homes that have no
walls around them. Back in the mid 1900's that was a popular thing to
do. The key word is "PRIVATE HOME". In a commercial building, there
would be rules, but for obvious reasons.

Can't say that I've ever seen a toilet in a basement without it being
in a bathroom, ie with walls and a door. Seems mighty strange to me.
Not as strange as the one in the kitchen, but still very strange.

Whether it's a code violation would likely depend on when it was done.
If it was done in the mid 1900s, then it might be OK. The pic though
was of a modern one. I just pulled up NJ code, which like most states
follows IRC, and it says: "Such water closet, lavatory, bathtub shall be
contained in a room or rooms which are separated from all other rooms by
walls, doors or partitions that afford privacy....." nuff said
Beyond that, there are reqts for ventilation or window, electrical
outlet location, etc. I didn't even see an electrical outlet in sight
in the pic of the urinal. So my vote is it's a big fail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2015 3:50 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Whether it's a code violation would likely depend on when it was done.
If it was done in the mid 1900s, then it might be OK. The pic though
was of a modern one. I just pulled up NJ code, which like most states
follows IRC, and it says: "Such water closet, lavatory, bathtub shall be
contained in a room or rooms which are separated from all other rooms by
walls, doors or partitions that afford privacy....." nuff said
Beyond that, there are reqts for ventilation or window, electrical
outlet location, etc. I didn't even see an electrical outlet in sight
in the pic of the urinal. So my vote is it's a big fail.

It is enclosed. It is a very large 20 x 28" lavatory. Hey, stop
putting all that stuff in my bathroom!

I'm sure it does not comply with code, but that should only come into
play if the house is sold. As a homeowner, I should be able to pee any
way I like in my own home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A Pittsburgh toilet in the basement was common for dirty mill and mining
workers to come in and clean up before going upstairs. No walls around
toilet.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_toilet

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I remember my grandfather coming home from the mine, all black. Grandmother
would heat up water on the coal stove, heat up the galvanized tub placed in
kitchen. That's how they did it early 50s. No interior bathroom.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:26:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is enclosed. It is a very large 20 x 28" lavatory. Hey, stop
putting all that stuff in my bathroom!

I'm sure it does not comply with code, but that should only come into
play if the house is sold. As a homeowner, I should be able to pee any
way I like in my own home.

I agree, but just think of the horror if your wife came down into into
basement at the exact same time you were peeing. She would see your
dick, and scream, and go into a state of shock. Then she would have to
be transported to a hospital and given large amounts of drugs for
several weeks, to recover from the shock........

As you can see, your building code is there to protect your wife from
seeing your dick! That proves that the government knows best, and
without them, our whole existance on this planet would soon cease!

Be sure to thank them!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Beat me to it. I live in the Midwest, but this setup was common in my
neighborhood in the 1960s (homes built in the 1940s-50s). I remember
how taken aback I was as a kid the first time I went into a neighbor's
basement and saw a toilet just sitting right out there. My uncle hung
a shower curtain on a U-shaped frame around his basement toilet.

This was back in the days when a 2 or 3 bedroom, 1 bath home was
standard. Second baths and wall-to-wall carpeting were both unheard of
luxuries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 9:26:41 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Maybe you should be able to, but a code violation is a code violation
whether you sell the house or not. I agree, you're almost certainly
not going to get caught on it or have to do anything about it until
it's sold though. But imagine some other code violation, that ultimately
caused a fire or something that burned down the house, killed someone,
etc. That could have legal repercussions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2015 8:15 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I'm sure it does not comply with code, but that should only come into
play if the house is sold. As a homeowner, I should be able to pee any
way I like in my own home.

Maybe you should be able to, but a code violation is a code violation
whether you sell the house or not. I agree, you're almost certainly
not going to get caught on it or have to do anything about it until
it's sold though. But imagine some other code violation, that ultimately
caused a fire or something that burned down the house, killed someone,
etc. That could have legal repercussions.

Reading the code as was posted, you could argue it complies as I said.
It is just a really big enclosure.

Safety code violations such as wiring or gas piping can take lives and
damage property. No arguing there.

The addition of a urinal does not threaten lives. It is not a
requirement to have in the house, just a convenience. Assuming properly
connected, of course. Using it in a relatively open area is a personal
decision. If you want privacy, there is another bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 4:36:45 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/14/2015 8:15 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I'm sure it does not comply with code, but that should only come into
play if the house is sold. As a homeowner, I should be able to pee any
way I like in my own home.

Maybe you should be able to, but a code violation is a code violation
whether you sell the house or not. I agree, you're almost certainly
not going to get caught on it or have to do anything about it until
it's sold though. But imagine some other code violation, that ultimately
caused a fire or something that burned down the house, killed someone,
etc. That could have legal repercussions.

Reading the code as was posted, you could argue it complies as I said.
It is just a really big enclosure.

You could argue that with the inspector if you like. I think you
would lose. The home inspector weighed in with his opinion. If it
was common, accepted, OK, IDT he would put it on his list of blatant
code violation examples.

Safety code violations such as wiring or gas piping can take lives and
damage property. No arguing there.

There are volumes of codes that are enforced every day that have
nothing to do with lives and propery damage.

The addition of a urinal does not threaten lives. It is not a
requirement to have in the house, just a convenience. Assuming properly
connected, of course. Using it in a relatively open area is a personal
decision. If you want privacy, there is another bathroom.

Cool, so put a urinal or toilet in the living room. See what the inspector
says about that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:26:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It is enclosed. It is a very large 20 x 28" lavatory. Hey, stop
putting all that stuff in my bathroom!

You might need a bathroom that LARGE for storing all the toilet paper
needed!

After all, you never know when there will be a shortage of toilet paper,
because some asshole gets greedy, and hoardes it all!

Tell THIS to the building inspector. I bet he would be lost for words!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Also reminds me if the first barracks I stayed the night entering army at
ft. Dix. Bathroom had an open line of toilets, no walls. Glad it was only
one night.

Greg

home inspection [email protected] Home Ownership 1 June 18th 13 02:41 PM
Home Inspection? Yadda Home Repair 15 October 4th 09 02:56 PM
Home inspection window expired without home inspection [email protected] Home Ownership 11 June 21st 06 10:04 AM
Would appreciate some first time home buying advice..re home inspection and negotiation Stephen Huckaby Home Repair 33 February 13th 05 01:28 PM
Home inspection GWB Home Ownership 5 January 25th 05 03:06 AM