Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Toilet in the kitchen and other home inspection follies

On 1/13/2015 3:50 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Whether it's a code violation would likely depend on when it was done.
If it was done in the mid 1900s, then it might be OK. The pic though
was of a modern one. I just pulled up NJ code, which like most states
follows IRC, and it says: "Such water closet, lavatory, bathtub shall be
contained in a room or rooms which are separated from all other rooms by
walls, doors or partitions that afford privacy....." nuff said
Beyond that, there are reqts for ventilation or window, electrical
outlet location, etc. I didn't even see an electrical outlet in sight
in the pic of the urinal. So my vote is it's a big fail.

It is enclosed. It is a very large 20 x 28" lavatory. Hey, stop
putting all that stuff in my bathroom!

I'm sure it does not comply with code, but that should only come into
play if the house is sold. As a homeowner, I should be able to pee any
way I like in my own home.