Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outside motion detection lights

I have one motion detection on the side of my house, and one of the bulbs
is out. Would that make isthe other one stay on all the time? If not what
could possibly be the problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2015 10:44 PM, albert wrote:
I have one motion detection on the side of my house, and one of the bulbs
is out. Would that make isthe other one stay on all the time? If not what
could possibly be the problem

Unlikely, I would think. Perhaps the reason that particular bulb went
out and the problem with the sensor stems from a power surge?

Easy way to check... replace the burned out bulb and see if that cures
it? I assume that you have already attempted to reset the sensor?
Flipping it off and then on again in the interval called for in the
instructions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 04:44:01 +0000, albert
wrote:

I have one motion detection on the side of my house, and one of the bulbs
is out. Would that make isthe other one stay on all the time? If not what
could possibly be the problem

From me experience, no.
Could there have been a power glitch? It could have knocked the one
bulb out and put the sensor out of sync. If you turn them off then
on, they stay on. Turn the switch or breaker off, wait a minute, then
put it back on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have one motion detection on the side of my house, and one of the bulbs
is out. Would that make isthe other one stay on all the time? If not what
could possibly be the problem

From me experience, no.
Could there have been a power glitch? It could have knocked the one
bulb out and put the sensor out of sync. If you turn them off then
on, they stay on. Turn the switch or breaker off, wait a minute, then
put it back on.

+1

Many of them have that feature, where if you turn it off, then on
again withing a couple secs, it goes into permanent on mode. That's
possible. I don't see any logical way one bulb being out would
result in permanent on. Like you say, try resetting it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have one motion detection on the side of my house, and one of the bulbs
is out. Would that make isthe other one stay on all the time? If not what
could possibly be the problem

From me experience, no.
Could there have been a power glitch? It could have knocked the one
bulb out and put the sensor out of sync. If you turn them off then
on, they stay on. Turn the switch or breaker off, wait a minute, then
put it back on.

+1

Many of them have that feature, where if you turn it off, then on
again withing a couple secs, it goes into permanent on mode. That's
possible. I don't see any logical way one bulb being out would
result in permanent on. Like you say, try resetting it.

Hi,
Same with one in my garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have one motion detection on the side of my house, and one of the bulbs
is out. Would that make isthe other one stay on all the time? If not what
could possibly be the problem

A power failure of the right length could appear to the floodlight as
you switching the wall switch off and on, to set it to always on.
Retaliate with the wall swtich

You can try the reset method discussed here but if the light is on
during the day too (and never resets), the detector is bad.

Older models didn't know about resetting at dawn. Also models sold at
"surplus" stores, which sometimes truly sell surplus (which may have
been sitting in a warehouse for years) and perhaps cheaper models.

I have about 20 of them around here and I go through at least 1-2 a
year for various problems. Stuck on, is a common one. If that bulb
burned out in a way that the standoffs shorted, it probably took the
driver in the motion detector with it.

I just bought a new porch light with motion detector and 3 settings, 2
minutes, 6 minutes, and every night 6 hours. Unfortunately, afaict so
far, it always acts like it's set for 6 hours.

And the floodlight in the back goes on properly from the motion
detector, buit turns off the moment I stop moving.

And the floodlight on the side went on when the wind blew.

If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we make a flood light that
lasts forever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 14:04:46 -0500, micky
wrote:

If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we make a flood light that
lasts forever.

Flood lights are not what they claim. I bought one, plugged it in, and
not even one drop of water came out of it, much less a FLOOD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2015 2:04 PM, micky wrote:

If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we make a flood light that
lasts forever.

We can't send man to the moon.

--
Froz...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 16:07:31 -0500, FrozenNorth
wrote:

On 1/5/2015 2:04 PM, micky wrote:

If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we make a flood light that
lasts forever.

We can't send man to the moon.

Not in this decade. We do have a memorial, remembering monkeys
navigating / flew space ships by pushing a button or two.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14867

....monkeynauts
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Unquestionably Confused , albert wrote:
puzzled2 wrote:

Unlikely, I would think. Perhaps the reason that particular bulb went
out and the problem with the sensor stems from a power surge?
Easy way to check... replace the burned out bulb and see if that cures
it? I assume that you have already attempted to reset the sensor?
Flipping it off and then on again in the interval called for in the
instructions?

I didn't turn the breaker off because it is hard wired, but I did put
black electrical tape over the sensor and that didn't turn it off

Posted to alt.home.repair

puzzled2 wrote:

Unlikely, I would think. Perhaps the reason that particular bulb went
out and the problem with the sensor stems from a power surge? Easy way
to check... replace the burned out bulb and see if that cures it? I
assume that you have already attempted to reset the sensor? Flipping
it off and then on again in the interval called for in the instructions?

I didn't turn the breaker off because it is hard wired, but I did put
black electrical tape over the sensor and that didn't turn it off

Hi,
You mean there is no breaker to remove the power from the unit?
You have to remove power and wait few seconds, then apply power
again to initialize the unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 21:57:39 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

I didn't turn the breaker off because it is hard wired, but I did put
black electrical tape over the sensor and that didn't turn it off

Hi,
You mean there is no breaker to remove the power from the unit?
You have to remove power and wait few seconds, then apply power
again to initialize the unit.

If there's no breaker, the OP better call the fire dept. BEFORE the
fire starts.

Of course we all know there has to be one somewhere on that circuit.

I NEVER installed a motion detector without a switch on the wall.
Sometimes I wanted to shut it off.

Actually, I got rid of my last motion light a year ago. I have never
found any of them to work flawlessly, and many are just a constant
problem. I had one on my barn, because at night the space between the
garage and the barn was dark, and has steps, which I tripped on far too
many times. The motion light was supposed to light up before I got to
the steps. Well, it did not always light, no matter how I adjusted it.

I just put another light on the side of tha garage, aimed down that
walkway by the steps. Put an exterior switch on the outside front of
the garage, which I just flip on now when I go there. Problem solved!

That stupid motion light would constantly go on and off, from damn near
everything. Wind moving tree branches, falling rain or snow, a wild
rabbit, one of my barn cats, my livestock getting nearby, and more....
Yet, many times when I walked there and WANTED it to turn on, it didn't.
And that was the 3rd fixture I put there....

I think that light wasted quite a lot of electricity. I rewired the
fixture to eliminate the motion part (direct to bulb), and just use the
switch in the barn when I need that light now.

I dont forsee myself ever buying another motion light. On my house, I
have a LED porch light, uses 6 watts. I just leave it on at night now.
leaving on the 6w light all night uses less than that 100w motion light
used when it was always going on and off.

I also heard that those motion lights do not work well if the bulb uses
too little power. The LOAD needs to be a certain minimum wattage. 6W
is probably too little. I'm not sure how true that is.`
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Did you have one with sensor sensitivity and turn off delay adjustment
feature? One here just works fine after I adjusted them. I use LED
bulbs. It needs enough load if Triac is used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2015 11:44 PM, albert wrote:

I didn't turn the breaker off because it is hard wired, but I did put
black electrical tape over the sensor and that didn't turn it off

Then you did not fix the problem. Hard wired means yhou have to turnt
he breaker off. The tape just makes it think it is dark outside and has
to stay on.

Take the tape off. Switch the breaker off. Then after a minute switch
it back on. Problem should be solved.

Motion Security Lights SG Home Repair 6 July 5th 12 09:45 PM
Motion Security Lights SG Home Repair 0 July 4th 12 02:46 PM
Exterior light with separate photocell & motion detection control blueman Home Repair 6 July 23rd 09 06:00 AM
Experiments in motion detection and tracking Anthony Fremont[_3_] Electronic Schematics 3 March 15th 09 06:49 PM
Harddisk motion detection? Bart Bervoets Electronics Repair 14 October 5th 06 09:20 PM