Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default outside motion detection lights

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 13:53:29 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 04:44:01 +0000, albert
m wrote:

I have one motion detection on the side of my house, and one of the bulbs
is out. Would that make isthe other one stay on all the time? If not what
could possibly be the problem

A power failure of the right length could appear to the floodlight as
you switching the wall switch off and on, to set it to always on.
Retaliate with the wall swtich

You can try the reset method discussed here but if the light is on
during the day too (and never resets), the detector is bad.

Older models didn't know about resetting at dawn. Also models sold at
"surplus" stores, which sometimes truly sell surplus (which may have
been sitting in a warehouse for years) and perhaps cheaper models.

I have about 20 of them around here and I go through at least 1-2 a
year for various problems. Stuck on, is a common one. If that bulb
burned out in a way that the standoffs shorted, it probably took the
driver in the motion detector with it.

I just bought a new porch light with motion detector and 3 settings, 2
minutes, 6 minutes, and every night 6 hours. Unfortunately, afaict so
far, it always acts like it's set for 6 hours.

And the floodlight in the back goes on properly from the motion
detector, buit turns off the moment I stop moving.

And the floodlight on the side went on when the wind blew.

If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we make a flood light that
lasts forever.