Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) WARNING: Cheap Melemine Ashtrays from China

I'm a smoker and have used the standard 6" cheap ashtrays made from
Melamine. with the cig holder in the center, for years. They have
always held up well. I just bought another one at Dollar General for
around one dollar. A cigarette actually melted a spot, leaving a dimple
on the bottom of the ashtray. The label on the bottom says "Made in
China". All my older ones say "USA" on the bottom, adn I've had them
for years with no problems. The China one says it's Melamine. I say
it's GARBAGE. I just bought it a week ago, and it's going back to the
store this week. Yea, it's only a buck, but it could start a fire or
damage the furniture it sits on. Luckily nothing was damaged, but I
wont use it again. These should not be sold! I'll tell this to the
store manager, but I'm sure they will keep selling them anyhow. I know
they will give a refund though. They always do!

I just posted this to warn others!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/04/2015 07:21 PM, Smokey wrote:

I just posted this to warn others!!!!

A house is replaceable, your lungs -- not so much.

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 20:21:36 -0500, Smokey wrote:

A house is replaceable, your lungs -- not so much.

Bill Clinton smoked pot a "time or two" but he "never inhaled" it.

What a waist... If you're going to smoke pot, at least inhale it.

He did let Willy Nelson smoked on top of the White House roof. Snoop
Dog said he smoked pot in a White house bathroom.

Bob Beckle; was drunk and stoned under the White House Christmas Tree
and fell asleep.

All three made public confessions
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 6:58:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

It's part of the plot to screw you smokers. They banned smoking in most
places, making you go outside. That wasn't enough, you stood outside, so
then they banned smoking near entrances. That wasn't enough, so they banned
smoking on entire properties, parking lots, beaches, parks, etc. That
wasn't enough so
they decreed that you couldn't even have a cigar night in a closed
separate room at a restaurant. That wasn't enough, so
they hiked the tax so high that a pack costs $12 in NYC. So, folks started
selling loosies, obtained illegally, on the street. That had to be
dealt with so Bloomberg passed a
law toughening the penalties for doing that. Then they told the police to go
vigorously enforce it. So, when Eric Gartner was spotted on Staten Island
selling them, the cops busted him and he wound up dead. But now it's all
the racist cops fault, who among other things, should have just looked the other way, because cigs are no big deal.

So, I think this is the next step. Get China to sell you defective ashtrays
so you'll wind up burning yourself up. Then you won't be smoking anymore and
the libs will be happy, having achieved their goal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 21:10:24 -0500, micky
wrote:

But it was only a dollar. How much can you expect.

I expect something SAFE, regardless of the price! I bought my old ones
at Walmart for not much over a buck, several years ago. They say USA on
the bottom. I'm no fan of Walmart, but at least they sell something
still made in the USA, and SAFE.

it's GARBAGE. I just bought it a week ago, and it's going back to the
store this week. Yea, it's only a buck, but it could start a fire or

Anyone can quit smoking. It takes a real man to fight a fire.

I knew this would turn into an anti-smoking rant.... Almost everyone
has something unhealthy they do.... Or, they are so perfect and
judgemental that no one can stand to be around them..... No further
comments about smoking.

But dont buy melemine ashtrays from China! (Dollar General, and probably
other stores).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 18:25:23 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Trader,

I'm so glad that you see and understand facts.

Reminds me of "get off my lawn". Who are they to dictate what a grown
person decides what is best for his child?

Did you see the news were a father called police to come an witness
his spanking of his own child? Not the America I was raised in. In my
younger days an ass whipping was immediate

Bunch of hippy liberals want to inflict their views on you, your
family and compel you to comply. Spit!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 22:05:38 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 20:54:39 -0600, wrote:

I knew this would turn into an anti-smoking rant.... Almost everyone
has something unhealthy they do.... Or, they are so perfect and
judgemental that no one can stand to be around them..... No further
comments about smoking.

BTW, I still offer ashtrays to guests who want to smoke. I would have
one on the table but there is no room anymore. I've never sent
anyone outside and if they offer to go outside, I say No, don't bother.

I somewhat thought it was a joke.....

I dont make anyone go outdoors to smoke either, of course I am a smoker
so why would I. But making someone go outdoors in frigid weather to
smoke is more unhealthy as smoking indoors. Not to mention cruel. When
people drink, they want to smoke, and that should be up to the
individual bar owner. I never objected to smoking in restaurants, in
fact it would bother me when I was eating, but bars should allow smoking
if the owner chooses to do so.

There is a local country bar who solved the no smoking issue. He built
a large deck on the back of the bar with a roof. He built walls around
it like a railing, about 5 ft high. The upper part of the walls are
open (about 3.5 feet), other than some support posts. In summer you go
out there to smoke in the fresh air, in winter he covers these walls
with a double layer of plastic sheeting, (inside and outside), and has a
heater in there. Legally, it's still considered "outdoors" so you can
smoke, and you cant get busted by the cops for drinking outside since
it's still part of the bar. It worked so well, that he enlarged it last
summer. Then put a pool table, big screen tv, and speakers from the
juke box out there, because it seems more people are out there than
inside the bar most of the time. In hot weather, it's cooler out there
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The China one says it's Melamine. I say
it's GARBAGE.

They've got to save their melamine to mix in the baby formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

Considering melamine is a thermoset resin, melting really isn't in its
repertoire after polymerization. Nasty stuff when you're molding it. The
company I was working for set up a turnkey dinnerware plant for Fingerhut
back in the '70s and I saw more melamine than I ever needed too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

and the irony here is that they then complain about the drop
in cig taxes collected.
when i use to smoke, i always told the doc I was doin it for
the chillrens

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 5:58:55 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

My ashtray is machined from billet aluminum.
Hardly ever catches fire.
Oh, just looked at it. It's cast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/04/2015 09:54 PM, wrote:
I expect something SAFE, regardless of the price!

And you think cigs are safe?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just posted this to warn others!!!!

plastic isn't suited for ashtrays.

cut a piece of metal can and put it in
the bottom to protect it and to distribute
the heat more widely if a cig should keep
resting upon it.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 07:59:33 -0500, songbird

I just posted this to warn others!!!!

plastic isn't suited for ashtrays.

cut a piece of metal can and put it in
the bottom to protect it and to distribute
the heat more widely if a cig should keep
resting upon it.

songbird

I would tend to agree, but those melamine ashtrays that are made in the
USA work fine. I have some older glass ones. But they have the groove
for the cig on the outer edge. It's too easy to have a lit cig fall
off. I like the ones that have the ridge down the center INSIDE of the
tray.

In my garage, I have a large tractor piston for an ashtray. Of course
any metal can works too. And there is always a metal electrical octogon
box. Yeah, years ago, when I worked for an electrician, we would use
them on the job.... (just had to avoid the screw holes).

I might just bring that piston in the house......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 17:57:43 -0600, wrote:

[...]

They've been melting dimples for at least 30 years IME. Can't say
where they were made 30 years ago, but I've seen them melt.
Might be weak spots, or a cigarette burning hot. Don't know.
One time about 40 years I had a heavy glass ashtray shatter and damn
near catch the house on fire while I was sleeping.
It was half full of butts, and I hadn't put the last smoke out well
before I fell asleep. Unfiltered Pall Malls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 15:56:16 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

They've been melting dimples for at least 30 years IME. Can't say
where they were made 30 years ago, but I've seen them melt.
Might be weak spots, or a cigarette burning hot. Don't know.
One time about 40 years I had a heavy glass ashtray shatter and damn
near catch the house on fire while I was sleeping.
It was half full of butts, and I hadn't put the last smoke out well
before I fell asleep. Unfiltered Pall Malls.

A local bar had a 5 gallon plastic pail outside the door. It had about 3
inches of sand in the bottom. Put there to snuff out butts. No one ever
emptied it. One night it was right to the top with butts, when it
started on fire. So I tell the bartender, and she hands me a pitcher
full of ice. I said I need water not ice. She said "the ice will cool
down the fire". I was not gonna argue, I ran out back tossed the ice on
it, and told another guy to get some water. A pitcher of ice and
another one of water killed the flames, but it still smoldered. Then
another bartender got a whole mop pail full of water and killed the
fire. The pail was melted, and it charred some paint on the wood door
frame, but it could have been much worse.

I later told that bartender (a young woman), that water is better than
ice for a fire. While some drunk guy insisted whisky would be better
yet..... I just laughed, and said "you'd drink it before you got to the
flames"!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 18:58:28 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

You find the world's most intelligent people at a bar.

You'd know .

I've got douv6a
--
Definition of a camel: A horse designed by a committee

Posted to alt.home.repair

today any smoker needs their head examined. I am sorry but its true
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
today any smoker needs their head examined. I am sorry but its true

+1. In our city smokers are like 2nd class citizen. Can't smoke
in any public places. Many tried to quit but they always come up with
all kinda excuses. No one ever forced them to start smoking, then why not?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:36:53 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

bob haller wrote:
today any smoker needs their head examined. I am sorry but its true

+1. In our city smokers are like 2nd class citizen. Can't smoke
in any public places. Many tried to quit but they always come up with
all kinda excuses.

I am amazed to be in the same newsgroup with someone that has so much
knowledge about so many people.