Posted to alt.home.repair

Default chilipepper water recirculating

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about the chilipepper
hot water recirculation pumps

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/specs-CP8000.html
http://www.chilipepperapp.com

Running a separate return pipe would be a lot of work and unlike the
other brands you all told me about, this one does't run all the time and
doesn't run on a timer or a schedule.

It just runs when someone pushes a button. Then it says it runs until
the water is hot (98^ iirc), forcing the previously hot water back
thought the cold water pipe. Since I'm concerned about the bathroom
sink, the button would be at t he sink, maybe at the side of the cabinet
under the sink.

I don't have a schedule either, I wish I did, but I get up at all hours
and go to sleep at all hours and wash my hands in that sink at times I
can't predict.

Other than the push button, instead of a timer, and that the pump is
under the sink, it's a lot like the Watts recirculator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 10, 2014 8:33:01 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
[...]

That is the type I described in that other long thread where this
was discussed. It has the same disadvantages as any system that
uses a pump and lacks a return line, ie tepid, crappy water from the
WH will be in the cold water line for the length of the run. For me,
if just the bathroom is on that line, then it's probably OK. If it
also serves the kitchen, then forget about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
[...]

what does that cost, not counting installation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
micky typed:
Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about the chilipepper
hot water recirculation pumps

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/specs-CP8000.html
http://www.chilipepperapp.com

I didn't see the other thread so I don't know what you are trying to
accomplish.

I have also never used one of these before but when I was researching them
in the past to purpose or concept was that it reduced or eliminated a long
wait time for hot water to get to the faucet when the faucet is first turned
on. However, I discovered back then that if one of those systems is
installed it has an "opposite" effect on the cold water supply. By that, I
mean that with one of those installed on the hot side, when you turn the
cold water on you have to wait a while for the cold water to get cold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 05:56:07 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

190 dollars, plus shipping.

It requires a 110 outlet below the sink, which uses 3.5 amps iirc.

I have an outlet just above the sink and it shouldn't be hard to run
another outlet from that. Even if there's a fire-stop, I have a
flexible drill bit to get through that. . (How high are fire-stops,
normally?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message
In ,
micky typed:
Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about the chilipepper
hot water recirculation pumps

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/specs-CP8000.html
http://www.chilipepperapp.com

I didn't see the other thread so I don't know what you are trying to
accomplish.

I have also never used one of these before but when I was researching them
in the past to purpose or concept was that it reduced or eliminated a long
wait time for hot water to get to the faucet when the faucet is first
turned on. However, I discovered back then that if one of those systems
is installed it has an "opposite" effect on the cold water supply. By
that, I mean that with one of those installed on the hot side, when you
turn the cold water on you have to wait a while for the cold water to get
cold.

You can wash you hands with cold water no problem. But if you want hot
water in the shower, this is a solution. You will blend the hot with the
cold, so any warm water in the cold line will get used up soon enough.

My water heater is close to the kitchen, with the baths far down line, so
any hot water in the cold line to the kitchen will get used up very quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 10:48:27 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
micky typed:
Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about the chilipepper
hot water recirculation pumps

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/specs-CP8000.html
http://www.chilipepperapp.com

I didn't see the other thread so I don't know what you are trying to
accomplish.

I have also never used one of these before but when I was researching them
in the past to purpose or concept was that it reduced or eliminated a long
wait time for hot water to get to the faucet when the faucet is first turned
on.

You did figure out what I'm trying to accomplish.

However, I discovered back then that if one of those systems is
installed it has an "opposite" effect on the cold water supply. By that, I
mean that with one of those installed on the hot side, when you turn the
cold water on you have to wait a while for the cold water to get cold.

Yes, that's a problem, people say, but the difference here is that hot
water won't be pumped into the cold pipe every 15 minutes, or whatever
the other ones do, but only 3 times a day. And in each of the times I
wash my hands in the bathroom I may be using some of the cold water too
== I still haven't decided how hot to make the water, but if anything,
hotter than it is now.

I've been paying attention, and trying to judge how likelly I am to
drink he cold-once-hot water. I rinse my mouth in the bathroom after
brushing my teeth, but I rarely drink water there, it seems. As to
the kitchen, I do drink a lot of that water, buit I think I rinse or
wash dishes even more often.

I have to observe my habits more, but I'm thinking the hot water in the
cold pipe won't bump into my drinking very often. (I guess I should
also try letter some hot water cool off and see what it tastes like.
Maybe I won't dislike it as much as some do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2014 4:43 PM, micky wrote:
I've been paying attention, and trying to judge how likelly I am to
drink he cold-once-hot water. I rinse my mouth in the bathroom after
brushing my teeth, but I rarely drink water there, it seems. As to
the kitchen, I do drink a lot of that water, buit I think I rinse or
wash dishes even more often.

I've not got all the details worked out, but
what happens if you push the circulator button,
and then flush the toilet? Would that put the
recirculated water to good use?

Just thinking.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 17:12:48 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/11/2014 4:43 PM, micky wrote:
I've been paying attention, and trying to judge how likelly I am to
drink he cold-once-hot water. I rinse my mouth in the bathroom after
brushing my teeth, but I rarely drink water there, it seems. As to
the kitchen, I do drink a lot of that water, buit I think I rinse or
wash dishes even more often.

I've not got all the details worked out, but
what happens if you push the circulator button,
and then flush the toilet? Would that put the
recirculated water to good use?

Just thinking.

I'm thinking that's exactly what would happen. Push the button as
soon as I enter the room, use the toilet, which would use up any recirc
water that's been pushed back to the junction between the sink and the
toilet, while I'm washing my hands and, if the water is hot enough,
using up the water between that junction and the sink.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
[...]

That, to me is second best to the pushbutton with a return line. It gives you
the advantage of unheated cold water if you just go for a glass of water, and
only runs when you tell it you want hot water. I did similarly on my system with
a return line, and find pushing the button to be no inconvenience at all when I
will want hot water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2014 7:48 PM, micky wrote:
I've not got all the details worked out, but
what happens if you push the circulator button,
and then flush the toilet? Would that put the
recirculated water to good use?

Just thinking.

I'm thinking that's exactly what would happen. Push the button as
soon as I enter the room, use the toilet, which would use up any recirc
water that's been pushed back to the junction between the sink and the
toilet, while I'm washing my hands and, if the water is hot enough,
using up the water between that junction and the sink.

I'm promoting you to field tester, grade
two. With corresponding pay. You're expected
to install that device, and report back twice
a day until the thread is completed. And until
Danny D can't see the posts.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 21:23:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/11/2014 7:48 PM, micky wrote:
I've not got all the details worked out, but
what happens if you push the circulator button,
and then flush the toilet? Would that put the
recirculated water to good use?

Just thinking.

I'm thinking that's exactly what would happen. Push the button as
soon as I enter the room, use the toilet, which would use up any recirc
water that's been pushed back to the junction between the sink and the
toilet, while I'm washing my hands and, if the water is hot enough,
using up the water between that junction and the sink.

I'm promoting you to field tester, grade
two. With corresponding pay. You're expected
to install that device, and report back twice
a day until the thread is completed. And until
Danny D can't see the posts.

I won't be able to see them either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 17:16:29 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

Finally some encouragement! Thanks.

And from someone who has something similar.

There's no remotely easy way to put in a return line, so I think this
will do well.