Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water recirculating pump

Has anyone on the group had any experiences with these pumps?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-...3135231&rpp=32

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the kitchen is as far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but not the kitchen.

Any comments?

I need to run electrical (old work box) and connect this beast.

73 /paul W3FIS
Posted to alt.home.repair

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen.
The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the kitchen is as far
away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but not the kitchen.

Any comments?

I need to run electrical (old work box) and connect this beast.

73 /paul W3FIS

I have a Laing Autocirc pump which does similar function. It works fine for
exactly what you are describing. I insulated all my pipes in the loop so
that it would loose minimum heat during the circulating process. We like it
a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roanin" wrote in message

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen.
The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the kitchen is as
far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but not the kitchen.

Any comments?

I need to run electrical (old work box) and connect this beast.

73 /paul W3FIS

Actually the only objection I had with the original installation which used
the thermostatically controlled valve under the sink, was that the cold
water was now warm. I solved that problem when the damned valve started
leaking, by running a separate return line back to the water heater, which
bypassed the cold water line. This was possible because all my lines were in
the basement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

On 5/11/2013 11:57, wrote:
Has anyone on the group had any experiences with these pumps?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-...3135231&rpp=32

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the kitchen is as far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but not the kitchen.

I have had one of these pumps for several years and have found that it
works well if you use hot water on a predictable schedule (e.g. for a
morning shower) and set the timer appropriately. The pump installs on
the water heater and the sensor valve goes on the faraway faucet where
you want hot water. The sensor valve closes when the water gets hot and
does not open again until the water at the valve cools off. That gives
time for the water in the line to lose heat. So you may get some warm
water followed by cold and then hot unless you open the faucet before
the sensor valve closes. Also during that time no cold water will be
immediately available because the hot water backflows over the cold line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 May 2013 11:57:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Has anyone on the group had any experiences with these pumps?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-...3135231&rpp=32

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the kitchen is as far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but not the kitchen.

Any comments?

I need to run electrical (old work box) and connect this beast.

73 /paul W3FIS

I tried setting this kind of system up once (different brand pump) and
it never worked very well and I took it off. Instead I just installed
a 2 gallon conventional hot water heater under the kitchen sink
(plugged into the same outlet under there as the Dishwasher). They
seem to last about 5 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-...water+recircul....

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the kitchen is as far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but not the kitchen.

Any comments?

I need to run electrical (old work box) and connect this beast.

73 /paul W3FISAds not by this site

The reason for this is the bad design/layout of your house.
You can install a hot water recirculating pump and the
additional pipework and it will fix the problem but only
with vastly increased fuel bill.
If you do not run it continuously, you risk the chance of
all manner of nasty bugs breeding in the return pipework.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 3:02*am, harry wrote:
On May 11, 7:57*pm, wrote:

Has anyone on the group had any experiences with these pumps?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-...water+recircul....

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen.. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the kitchen is as far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but not the kitchen.

Any comments?

I need to run electrical (old work box) and connect this beast.

73 /paul W3FISAds not by this site

The reason for this is the bad design/layout of your house.
You can install a hot water recirculating pump and the
additional pipework and it will fix the problem but only
with vastly increased fuel bill.

Vastly increased? Are you sure about that? Used with
a timer so that it's active during periods when you're likely
going to be there to use it, I'll bet
it's actually so small that you won't even notice it.

If you do not run it continuously, you risk the chance of
all manner of nasty bugs breeding in the return pipework.

Then you should have reports of people getting sick from
this. Bet you can't come up with a single one.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 9:13*pm, "Roanin" wrote:

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 1:35*pm, "
wrote:
On May 12, 3:02*am, harry wrote:

On May 11, 7:57*pm, wrote:

[...]

Commonest is legionella.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 12:37*pm, harry wrote:
On May 12, 1:35*pm, "
wrote:

On May 12, 3:02*am, harry wrote:

On May 11, 7:57*pm, wrote:

[...]

Commonest is legionella.- Hide quoted text -

So show us one case where this happened in a hot
water recirculating pump like that being discussed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has anyone on the group had any experiences with these pumps?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-...3135231&rpp=32

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the
kitchen. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the
kitchen is as far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but
not the kitchen.

Any comments?

I need to run electrical (old work box) and connect this beast.

I wired a pump with a time delay relay to run it just long enough to get the hot
water where you want it, then turn off. Little heat loss, and all the water
savings. A low voltage push button near the usage points starts the pump for the
short time run. Running the pump for ectended times is just wasteful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 6:19*am, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone on the group had any experiences with these pumps?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-...water+recircul....

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the
kitchen. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the
kitchen is as far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but
not the kitchen.

Any comments?

I need to run electrical (old work box) and connect this beast.

I wired a pump with a time delay relay to run it just long enough to get the hot
water where you want it, then turn off. Little heat loss, and all the water
savings. A low voltage push button near the usage points starts the pump for the
short time run. Running the pump for ectended times is just wasteful.

Well it was a foolish idea.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/healthservices/legionella.htm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ting-risk.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 7:26*pm, "
wrote:
On May 12, 12:37*pm, harry wrote:

On May 12, 1:35*pm, "
wrote:

On May 12, 3:02*am, harry wrote:

On May 11, 7:57*pm, wrote:

[...]

You really are a thick **** aren't you?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tar-hotel.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 May 2013 00:11:09 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Then you should have reports of people getting sick from
this. * Bet you can't come up with a single one.....

Commonest is legionella.- Hide quoted text -

So show us one case where this happened in a hot
water recirculating pump like that being discussed.

You really are a thick **** aren't you?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tar-hotel.html

I don't see it related at all. Yes, it was warmed water, but not in a
domestic use recirculation. It was long term exposed as in the spa.

Quoted:
Tests indicate the source of the outbreak to be either the hotel's
luxury spa or the decorative fountain in the main lobby.

According to the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH), samples
taken from the fountain, the men's and women's locker rooms, and the
spa's whirlpool all tested positive for the same type of Legionella
found in the sick patients.

Read mo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2TAHlkh45
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 3:11*am, harry wrote:
On May 12, 7:26*pm, "
wrote:

On May 12, 12:37*pm, harry wrote:

On May 12, 1:35*pm, "
wrote:

On May 12, 3:02*am, harry wrote:

On May 11, 7:57*pm, wrote:

Has anyone on the group had any experiences with these pumps?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-...water+recircul...

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the kitchen is as far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but not the kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 1:19*am, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone on the group had any experiences with these pumps?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-...water+recircul....

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the
kitchen. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the
kitchen is as far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but
not the kitchen.

Any comments?

I need to run electrical (old work box) and connect this beast.

I wired a pump with a time delay relay to run it just long enough to get the hot
water where you want it, then turn off. Little heat loss, and all the water
savings. A low voltage push button near the usage points starts the pump for the
short time run. Running the pump for ectended times is just wasteful.

All the pumps for that purpose that I've seen include a temp sensor
that it shuts the pump off once hot water arrives at the pump. You'd
have to be nuts to buy one that didn't have it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eath-Legionnai...

I don't see it related at all. *Yes, it was warmed water, but not in a
domestic use recirculation. *It was long term exposed as in the spa.

Quoted:
Tests indicate the source of the outbreak to be either the hotel's
luxury spa or the decorative fountain in the main lobby.

According to the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH), samples
taken from the fountain, the men's and women's locker rooms, and the
spa's whirlpool all tested positive for the same type of Legionella
found in the sick patients.

Read more

:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...9/THIRD-death-
Legionnai...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If you have a length of pipe that has water that has been heated (so
driving out the chlorine) and then let go tepid, legionnaires thrives.
This is what happens if you have an intermittantantly run circulation
system.

All it needs is a shower and an aerosol is formed whereby you can get
legionnaires disease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 3:15*pm, "
wrote:
On May 13, 3:11*am, harry wrote:

On May 12, 7:26*pm, "
wrote:

On May 12, 12:37*pm, harry wrote:

On May 12, 1:35*pm, "
wrote:

On May 12, 3:02*am, harry wrote:

On May 11, 7:57*pm, wrote:

Has anyone on the group had any experiences with these pumps?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77814-18701-...water+recircul...

SWMBO complains about the time required to get hot water in the kitchen. The hot water tank is upstairs (!!) in a closet, and the kitchen is as far away from it as you can get. Bathrooms are OK, but not the kitchen.

Any comments?

I need to run electrical (old work box) and connect this beast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 3:18*pm, "
wrote:
On May 13, 1:19*am, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Don't talk such drivel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

At higher temperatures, chlorine is MORE effective.
Once again, the village idiot.

and then let go tepid, legionnaires thrives.
This is what happens if you have an intermittantantly run circulation
system.

So, show us one case where this was cited as a cause.
Just one! And note, a fountain in a hotel lobby spraying
constantly recirculated water, is not a case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 11:49*am, harry wrote:
On May 13, 3:15*pm, "
wrote:

On May 13, 3:11*am, harry wrote:

On May 12, 7:26*pm, "
wrote:

On May 12, 12:37*pm, harry wrote:

On May 12, 1:35*pm, "
wrote:

On May 12, 3:02*am, harry wrote:

On May 11, 7:57*pm, wrote:

[...]

You really are a thick **** aren't you?http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...onnai...quoted text -

No, it's you, who's the village idiot, yet again. * I said to show us
one
example of people getting sick from a hot water recirculating pump,
like the one under discussion. * You provide us with a link to a case
involving a hotel decorative water fountain. * Just how dumb can you
be?
You insist on making an ass of yourself every day here on almost
any and every topic.

Well you half witted redneck, I worked in hospital where this was a
high priority.

What was a high priorty? Spreading FUD about domestic
hot water recirculating pumps? You didn't learn much
while you were cleaning bedpans......

You got a big mouth for someone so ignorant.
But that's the American way.- Hide quoted text -

I'll leave it for others to judge who the village idiot is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You half wit. Heating water drives out dissolved gases.
Did you never go to school?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 1:32*am, harry wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Did you never go to school?- Hide quoted text -

Sigh..... Chlorine isn't nitrogen or oxygen. It's highly
reactive. As soon as it enters the water a series of
chemical reactions begin, starting with the formation
of hypochlorous acid and hyrdochloric acid. In other
words, it's no longer chlorine and it isn't coming back
out as a gas. And the sanitizing ability of the chlorine
compounds in the water INCREASE as the temp rises.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 12:22*pm, "
wrote:
On May 14, 1:32*am, harry wrote:

wrote:
[...]

And what do you smell when you enter an indoor swimming pool and where
did it come from?
Why do you suppose bleach smells (of chlorine)?

Water links up with any dissolved gas. The link is easily broken by
heat or even agitation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_c...r_chlorination