Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommendations on recirculating hot water pump?

I am looking to replace a Watts hot water pump on our recirculating
hot water line and would like some recommendations on a good
replacement. We are not happy with the Watts pump for 2 reasons: (1)
this is the second one that has broken down in 3 years, so their
reliability seems poor (2) the Watts pump seems to cause hot water to
back up into our cold water line (despite check valves and an
expansion tank), and in looking into it more it seems to be more
designed for a system that is not a closed loop. Our system is a
complete loop all the way around the house and back to the pump so we
would prefer a type designed for that type of system, as I'm thinking
that is the reason the cavitation occurred with the last one.

I've tried looking online for replacements, but quickly got confused
as there isn't a whole lot of description on the proper uses for each
pump, just its hp rating and connections. We've got threaded pipe on
the intake and outtake of our current pump. Anybody have a good
recommendation for a replacement?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 12:52*pm, Actor123 wrote:
[...]

What's the motor rating on the present unit, either amps or watts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 12:58*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure. Its this model he http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...s.asp?pid=6677

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 5:52*pm, Actor123 wrote:
On Aug 17, 12:58*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure. *Its this model hehttp://www.watts.com/pages/_products....asp?pid=6677- Hide quoted text -

Does the unit run on electricity?? If so, look at the unit, it should
say something like 110-120V, XX Watts, or 110-120V, XX amps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Actor123" wrote

I've tried looking online for replacements, but quickly got confused
as there isn't a whole lot of description on the proper uses for each
pump, just its hp rating and connections. We've got threaded pipe on
the intake and outtake of our current pump. Anybody have a good
recommendation for a replacement?

I don't know about exact compatibility with your system, But Grundfos pumps
are very reliable.
http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/grunconsys.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actor123 wrote:
[...]

If the water is backing up into the cold line, that is a system design flaw, not
the pumps fault. If there is cavitation, there is probably air in the system.
Put an automatic air bleed valve on a high spot in the pipe ahead of the pump to
keep air from getting to the pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

B&G, Grundfos, Taco are commercial pumps, just go to your local
plumbing supply store and pick up one. Ive had B&G on boilers that
never failed after 30 years, I have a Grundfos on a 24hr system the
first one lasted 5 years. Is it the motor or pump that fails, is it
getting correct voltage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:52:51 -0700 (PDT), Actor123
wrote:

[...]

I've use this one for over ten years.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Taco-005-SF...-HP-15053000-p