Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Walmart sucks

I called to find out if they had drafting supplies.
The woman said......What department is that?
I said, I don't know. I was hoping you knew.
She said......Huh. I will connect you with stationary.
I sit on hold for at least 5 min of dead silence.
I hang up and call back.
Hi, I called earlier trying to find some drafting supplies.
She said...well everybody is busy. I will connect you again.

I think they probably think it would be easier if I just drove down
and walked the store.

Not easier for you, easier for us!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Seymore4Head wrote:

I called to find out if they had drafting supplies.
The woman said......What department is that?
I said, I don't know. I was hoping you knew.
She said......Huh. I will connect you with stationary.
I sit on hold for at least 5 min of dead silence.
I hang up and call back.
Hi, I called earlier trying to find some drafting supplies.
She said...well everybody is busy. I will connect you again.

I think they probably think it would be easier if I just drove down
and walked the store.

Not easier for you, easier for us!

well a simple search of walmart.com shows that...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Seymore4Head wrote:

I called to find out if they had drafting supplies.
The woman said......What department is that?
I said, I don't know. I was hoping you knew.
She said......Huh. I will connect you with stationary.
I sit on hold for at least 5 min of dead silence.
I hang up and call back.
Hi, I called earlier trying to find some drafting supplies.
She said...well everybody is busy. I will connect you again.

I think they probably think it would be easier if I just drove down
and walked the store.

Not easier for you, easier for us!

well a simple search of walmart.com shows that...

Call about 15 minutes after they open. Or ask the local high school art teacher where the good places are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 07:42:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Agree, Walmart isn't likely to have specialty
items like drafting supplies.

I've been mistaken before, but I don't think the _People of Wal Mart_
are looking for drafting supplies and a larger number don't have the
skills for mechanical drawings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Agree, Walmart isn't likely to have specialty
items like drafting supplies.

I've been mistaken before, but I don't think the _People of Wal Mart_
are looking for drafting supplies and a larger number don't have the
skills for mechanical drawings.

Don't they just sign their WIC receipts with a craggily "X"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:foxVv.377005$Rp.209736
@fx23.iad:

I would think drafting
supplies would be harder to find than in the days before computers.

That is 100% accurate. They are WAY harder to find, if you can find them at
all.

The drafting-supply market has shrunk to about 1% of what it was before
computers. It's really tough to find heavy straightedges, set squares,
dividers, mechanical-pencil leads and sharpeners, etc. Staples has a little
bit, but only tiny set-squares and an 18" ruler or two.

Light-tables and drafting machines are given away free. Like CRT
televisions, they're literally worthless.

An art supply house -- where painters and college art-students shop -- is
most likely to have the best selection of what little is left on the
market. There are also architectural-supply houses that also supply the
college market; if you can find one of them, you may have some luck.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/26/2014 11:12 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
I called to find out if they had drafting supplies.

I use PTC's Creo Parametric CAD software.

Who the hell still uses drafting equipment, Fred Flintstone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Locally Gabes a discount department store HAS NO PHONE NUMBER CUSTOMERS CAN CALL.

Its been said phone calls would distract employees from doing their job

Over at K mart they were doing all stocking when the store is closed.

Well they should be able to do a excellent job of stocking a bunch more are being permanetely closed...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/27/2014 11:24 AM, Tegger wrote:
[...]

Any of you guys remember those power erasers? No one would ever let me
have one.

I still have my drafting erasure shield.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/26/2014 08:12 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
I called to find out if they had drafting supplies.
The woman said......What department is that?
I said, I don't know. I was hoping you knew.
She said......Huh. I will connect you with stationary.
I sit on hold for at least 5 min of dead silence.
I hang up and call back.
Hi, I called earlier trying to find some drafting supplies.
She said...well everybody is busy. I will connect you again.

I think they probably think it would be easier if I just drove down
and walked the store.

Not easier for you, easier for us!

A bit off topic. But ...

Have you had a look at the open source LibreCAD?
Linux, Windows, OSX:

http://librecad.org/cms/home.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 12:11:40 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 09/26/2014 08:12 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
I called to find out if they had drafting supplies.
The woman said......What department is that?
I said, I don't know. I was hoping you knew.
She said......Huh. I will connect you with stationary.
I sit on hold for at least 5 min of dead silence.
I hang up and call back.
Hi, I called earlier trying to find some drafting supplies.
She said...well everybody is busy. I will connect you again.

I think they probably think it would be easier if I just drove down
and walked the store.

Not easier for you, easier for us!

A bit off topic. But ...

Have you had a look at the open source LibreCAD?
Linux, Windows, OSX:

http://librecad.org/cms/home.html

Just because I need drafting supplies doesn't mean I am going to be
doing any drafting. I still use enough pencil/paper that I use one of
these:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._SY300_.jpg
So I want one of these:
http://www.deserres.ca/data/Products...963_1_S502.jpg
I actually have one, but I have spent enough time hunting it that I
gave up.

BTW I have found one at Amazon. I just need to wait until I need 28
bucks worth of other crap to order one. (free shipping on 35$ orders)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Sep 2014, Seymore4Head wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I called to find out if they had drafting supplies.
The woman said......What department is that?
I said, I don't know. I was hoping you knew.
She said......Huh. I will connect you with stationary.
I sit on hold for at least 5 min of dead silence.
I hang up and call back.
Hi, I called earlier trying to find some drafting supplies.
She said...well everybody is busy. I will connect you again.

I think they probably think it would be easier if I just drove down
and walked the store.

Not easier for you, easier for us!

I had a similar experience recently. I looked up something on the
Walmart web site. It said the product may be stocked in my local store
and to call for availability. So I did.

I got an operator who seemed to not quite know what to do, but she
transferred me to that department. I was put on hold, where I remained
for 20 minutes (I put the phone on speaker and went about my business)
and then I got disconnected. I called back later and the same thing
happened. A few days later I was driving by the store and stopped in
and they did have it. I mentioned my experience to the Service Desk,
and they seemed quite uninterested.

My expectations for Walmart are very low and they met them easily.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/27/2014 01:15 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._SY300_.jpg
So I want one of these:
http://www.deserres.ca/data/Products...963_1_S502.jpg

Those look oddly familiar. What are they used for?
(I think I am funny.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/27/2014 01:43 PM, Nil wrote:
[...]

I have a customer that worked as a retiree at one of
those style stores, it may have been wally world.

He told me they are instructed not to give that kind
of assistance. If you want customer service, go
to a full price store.

Funny, I have had customer call me on their cell phones
from Best Buy (another discount crap store) and ask me
what to buy. I remind them I sell the stuff too and
to go find a sales assistant. I get back "I can't find
one" or "they don't know what they are doing". I wind up
buckling and helping them anyway. Hopefully, they
felt a little guilty.

You just can't expect customer service from a discount
store. Customer service is too expensive.

Trader Joe's on the other hand, has great prices and
tremendous customer service. So, there are exceptions
to every rule.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote:
On 09/27/2014 01:15 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._SY300_.jpg
So I want one of these:
http://www.deserres.ca/data/Products...963_1_S502.jpg

Those look oddly familiar. What are they used for?
(I think I am funny.)

It's a lead sharpener for mechanical pencils - the kind that have a
spring-loaded collet and a pushbutton on top . They were very common in the
1960's ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
Seymore4Head wrote:

I called to find out if they had drafting supplies.
The woman said......What department is that?
I said, I don't know. I was hoping you knew.
She said......Huh. I will connect you with stationary.
I sit on hold for at least 5 min of dead silence.
I hang up and call back.
Hi, I called earlier trying to find some drafting supplies.
She said...well everybody is busy. I will connect you again.

I think they probably think it would be easier if I just drove down
and walked the store.

Not easier for you, easier for us!

well a simple search of walmart.com shows that...

Hi,
And at least warm body answered the phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seymore4Head wrote:

I called to find out if they had drafting supplies.
The woman said......What department is that?
I said, I don't know. I was hoping you knew.
She said......Huh. I will connect you with stationary.
I sit on hold for at least 5 min of dead silence.
I hang up and call back.
Hi, I called earlier trying to find some drafting supplies.
She said...well everybody is busy. I will connect you again.

I think they probably think it would be easier if I just drove down
and walked the store.

Not easier for you, easier for us!

well a simple search of walmart.com shows that...

Call about 15 minutes after they open. Or ask the local high school art teacher where the good places are.

Hi,
Should call Staples.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2014 4:43 PM, Nil wrote:

My expectations for Walmart are very low and they met them easily.

That is the secret to being a satisfied Walmart customer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2014 4:57 PM, Todd wrote:

I have a customer that worked as a retiree

Sounds like a good job. Qualifications?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote in :

Any of you guys remember those power erasers? No one would ever let
me have one.

I never saw the point in those. I always used (still use) an ordinary
Staedtler white eraser.

Still have a Staedtler mechanical pencil and some 4H leads (my favorites).
These get no use anymore.

Staedtler always made the best stuff. Berol and other makes were far
inferior.

I still have my drafting erasure shield.

Those are still readily-available, because artists still use them.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seymore4Head wrote in
:

I called to find out if they had drafting supplies.

Phone your local community college and ask where the art students and
architectural students go for their supplies. That's where you'll find the
remnants of the old drafting industry.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2014 6:33 PM, Tegger wrote:
Todd wrote in :

Any of you guys remember those power erasers? No one would ever let
me have one.

I never saw the point in those. I always used (still use) an ordinary
Staedtler white eraser.

They can get you arrested. Rewind to about 1991. We had a drafting
table with one of those power erasers hanging on the side. It was a
very open area and very visible. A job applicant made mention of what a
nifty thing it was.

The next night the office was broken into and that was one of the items
stolen. Took the police about a half hour to track him down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seymore4Head wrote in
:

I still use enough pencil/paper that I use one of
these:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._SY300_.jpg

I still have one of them. Plus some 4H leads. I also still have some 2H,
but that's only because they were too soft and lost their point too fast,
so I stopped using them.

Many years ago, Staedtler stopped making the aluminum-bodied pencils; those
were ever so much better than the plastic ones. The plastic ones have a
tendency to break in half where the metal grip meets the blue plastic body.
But it takes many months of hard use to make that happen.

So I want one of these:
http://www.deserres.ca/data/Products...ource/51963_1_
S502.jpg

The swirly sharpeners! I still have one of those, too! That little
cigarette-filter wiper was useless: I'd fill it up in hours; so I just used
a puff of breath to blow off the point after sharpening. I was sharpening
every minute or less throughout the work day; there was always a lot of
graphite dust in my garbage can.

Before computers came along, I went through one of those every few months.
They would wear to the extent that the sharpener would leave a little ball
on the end of the lead rather than pointing it properly. I used to buy them
several at a time.

I actually have one, but I have spent enough time hunting it
that I gave up.

If you have one, why are you looking for another? Is yours worn out?

You can find theme at any specialty art-store, the kind where community-
college art/architectural students buy their supplies. The store may need
to order it in from Staedtler.

Where are you located?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 22:36:13 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Phone your local community college and ask where the art students and
architectural students go for their supplies. That's where you'll find the
remnants of the old drafting industry.

+1 Learn how to draw a screw or bolt on paper. Folks now think one
needs computer software. Bah.

--
.... if I had the perfect woman, I'd want twins -- Blackberry Smoke
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/27/2014 03:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/27/2014 4:57 PM, Todd wrote:

I have a customer that worked as a retiree

Sounds like a good job. Qualifications?

Hmmmmm. Got me there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Phone your local community college and ask where the art students and
architectural students go for their supplies. That's where you'll find the
remnants of the old drafting industry.

+1 Learn how to draw a screw or bolt on paper. Folks now think one
needs computer software. Bah.

When I was doing mechanical drawing, I use to take my drawings
out to the machinists. Oh boy would they slaughter the things
in red ink. When they finally said it was good, then I would
turn it over to the channels for inclusion.

Funny thing, the machinists always put my stuff on top of
their stacks. Other guys wonders why their's took so long.
Hmmmmmmm.

I still see people indexing off of holes and dimensioning
against dimensions so that they get tolerance creep.

Last thing I drew were sheet metal foldouts. Man did I
suck at it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 16:25:45 -0700, Todd wrote:

+1 Learn how to draw a screw or bolt on paper. Folks now think one
needs computer software. Bah.

When I was doing mechanical drawing, I use to take my drawings
out to the machinists. Oh boy would they slaughter the things
in red ink. When they finally said it was good, then I would
turn it over to the channels for inclusion.

Funny thing, the machinists always put my stuff on top of
their stacks. Other guys wonders why their's took so long.
Hmmmmmmm.

My best grades were in mechanical drawing. I loved it. I have some
drafting tools here now. Problem is, I forget most of it, after all
these years of not doing it. I'm not mad about it, today.

I suppose I could draw a draft print for a favorite house. Then hand
it over to those best qualified.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2014 6:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/27/2014 4:57 PM, Todd wrote:

I have a customer that worked as a retiree

Sounds like a good job. Qualifications?

I'd also love to hear. Maybe when I'm grown up?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2014 6:33 PM, Tegger wrote:
Any of you guys remember those power erasers? No one would ever let
me have one.

Staedtler always made the best stuff. Berol and other makes were far
inferior.

I still have my drafting erasure shield.

Those are still readily-available, because artists still use them.

My Dad bought one when I was maybe seven years old.
I thought it was totally kewl. Still in Mom's cellar,
hanging by the drawing board, I'm sure.

My drafting teacher used to always drone "use your
eraser shield".

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/27/2014 4:57 PM, Todd wrote:

I have a customer that worked as a retiree

Sounds like a good job. Qualifications?

I'd also love to hear. Maybe when I'm grown up?

Qualifications:

1) must be on a pension

2) must be a cantankerous old fart
3) must actually like people

4) must not need the money

5) must be bored out of their skulls

6) and, as Ed mentioned, a pulse

Disqualifications:

1) Gas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/27/2014 04:44 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 16:25:45 -0700, Todd wrote:

+1 Learn how to draw a screw or bolt on paper. Folks now think one
needs computer software. Bah.

When I was doing mechanical drawing, I use to take my drawings
out to the machinists. Oh boy would they slaughter the things
in red ink. When they finally said it was good, then I would
turn it over to the channels for inclusion.

Funny thing, the machinists always put my stuff on top of
their stacks. Other guys wonders why their's took so long.
Hmmmmmmm.

My best grades were in mechanical drawing. I loved it. I have some
drafting tools here now. Problem is, I forget most of it, after all
these years of not doing it. I'm not mad about it, today.

I suppose I could draw a draft print for a favorite house. Then hand
it over to those best qualified.

Start with your back yard (landscape architecture). Then
graduate to your house.

LibreCAD is free (it is a little weird, but you get use to it).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 17:54:50 -0700, Todd wrote:

I suppose I could draw a draft print for a favorite house. Then hand
it over to those best qualified.

Start with your back yard (landscape architecture). Then
graduate to your house.

....but I already know stuff about my house.

No worry. Blackberry Smoke Live At The Georgia Theatre DVD

https://tinyurl.com/k8lpgq6

....,Sleeping Dogs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 17:22:40 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 9/27/2014 6:33 PM, Tegger wrote:
Any of you guys remember those power erasers? No one would ever let
me have one.

Staedtler always made the best stuff. Berol and other makes were far
inferior.

I still have my drafting erasure shield.

Those are still readily-available, because artists still use them.

My Dad bought one when I was maybe seven years old.
I thought it was totally kewl. Still in Mom's cellar,
hanging by the drawing board, I'm sure.

My drafting teacher used to always drone "use your
eraser shield".

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

When I attended a quarter of learning DRAFTING at University in 1965, I
bought one of those miracle erasers by Staedler, the kind that 'lifts' off
creating a long giant worm of rubbery dirty material. I still have it,
still use it.

Also have one of those machine erasers that use the American type red
rubber eraser, but it always rubbed holes in the vellum! I use it to twist
cable wiring now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 17:54:50 -0700, Todd wrote:

Start with your back yard (landscape architecture). Then
graduate to your house.

LibreCAD is free (it is a little weird, but you get use to it).

Thanks.

Web Page:

http://librecad.org/cms/home.html

Video Tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=librecad&oq=librecad
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Sep 2014, Todd wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I have a customer that worked as a retiree at one of
those style stores, it may have been wally world.

He told me they are instructed not to give that kind
of assistance. If you want customer service, go
to a full price store.

I was annoyed because the web site specifically said to call the store
for availability, yet when I took their own advice and called, they
just blew me off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/28/2014 09:23 PM, Nil wrote:
On 27 Sep 2014, Todd wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I have a customer that worked as a retiree at one of
those style stores, it may have been wally world.

He told me they are instructed not to give that kind
of assistance. If you want customer service, go
to a full price store.

I was annoyed because the web site specifically said to call the store
for availability, yet when I took their own advice and called, they
just blew me off.

I have had the same experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 12:23 AM, Nil wrote:

I was annoyed because the web site specifically said to call the store
for availability, yet when I took their own advice and called, they
just blew me off.

Have you ever been to a WalMart? Have you actually checked out the
employees? I'd never call and trust the answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertMacy posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

wrote:

[...]

I have one, I used it on the erasable sepia paper. The white eraser didn't
do it for that. Dietzgen made the paper.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Phone your local community college and ask where the art students and
architectural students go for their supplies. That's where you'll find the
remnants of the old drafting industry.

+1 Learn how to draw a screw or bolt on paper. Folks now think one
needs computer software. Bah.

Make sure to get the thread direction correct. I used to design
communications towers. I loved it when the Western Union sheets would come
in an they would identify machine screws and have them drawn full size. Must
have had a large drafting dept because different sheets would have images of
the same thing. I guess they didn't/couldn't make seconds (copies). We would
be using at a minimum of 1/2 bolts.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

Make sure to get the thread direction correct. I used to design
communications towers. I loved it when the Western Union sheets would come
in an they would identify machine screws and have them drawn full size. Must
have had a large drafting dept because different sheets would have images of
the same thing. I guess they didn't/couldn't make seconds (copies). We would
be using at a minimum of 1/2 bolts.

I should have stated Western Electric !
--
Tekkie