Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DeWalt drill battery question

I managed to fry one of the batteries to my DeWalt 18v drill , and I'm a
bit confused ... My batteries are model DC9098 . I find all kinds of
replacement batteries , and one of the most common is a DW , not a DC 9098 .
I see a difference in the A/Hour ratings , and wonder if this is the
difference in the letter designation . I'd match the battery to the model of
the drill , but the tag with the number is damaged . I've been a fan of the
Dewalt drills for over 20 years , and until now the only battery failures
I've seen were due to not completely draining them to dead before charging .
I had a 12v battery last over 6 years ... but this 18v unit died the other
day while I was using my drill to mix mortar for the stone work behind my WB
stove ... got hot , then nothing and now it won't charge . And I gotta have
a 2nd battery , one to use while the other charges .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
I managed to fry one of the batteries to my DeWalt 18v drill , and
I'm a bit confused ... My batteries are model DC9098 . I find all
kinds of replacement batteries , and one of the most common is a DW ,
not a DC 9098 . I see a difference in the A/Hour ratings , and wonder
if this is the difference in the letter designation . I'd match the
battery to the model of the drill , but the tag with the number is
damaged . I've been a fan of the Dewalt drills for over 20 years ,
and until now the only battery failures I've seen were due to not
completely draining them to dead before charging .

Running batteries to "dead" is the worst thing you can do to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I managed to fry one of the batteries to my DeWalt 18v drill , and
I'm a bit confused ... My batteries are model DC9098 . I find all
kinds of replacement batteries , and one of the most common is a DW ,
not a DC 9098 . I see a difference in the A/Hour ratings , and wonder
if this is the difference in the letter designation . I'd match the
battery to the model of the drill , but the tag with the number is
damaged . I've been a fan of the Dewalt drills for over 20 years ,
and until now the only battery failures I've seen were due to not
completely draining them to dead before charging .

Running batteries to "dead" is the worst thing you can do to them.

Not NiCad's , they'll never take a full charge again if you don't
discharge them fully before charging . I and a coworker both got identical
new drills at the same time . He would slap a fresh battery in as soon as
his slowed a little , I'd run mine all the way down . My batteries lasted an
average of 4+ years , his were being replaced on average in less than a year
..

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2014 8:42 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

.

Different strokes. I do it like your buddy does and I have several
packs that are nearly 12 years old and work fine. If you take them down
much below 1.1V/cell you are not doing them any favors. Your drill may
refuse to run before you get there. Thus your good fortune so far.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

If you discharge nicads fully, some of the cells get reverse charged, offgas,
and quickly die. You should only run the battery down as far as you can without
risk of reverse charging a cell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

Bob F wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

The problem with "all the way down", is that after a cell gets to zero
volts, continued current flow will reverse charge it. Your 4+ years
batteries probably had well matched cells that all discharged at the
same rate.

When I have trouble with my 18V batteries, I take them to "Batteries
Plus". They refill them with the higher A/Hour cells. The refills are
less expensive than DeWalt, and seem to last longer.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Bob F wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...atteries/292/2

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message news:fmmck- When I have
trouble with my 18V batteries, I take them to "Batteries
Plus". They refill them with the higher A/Hour cells. The refills are
less expensive than DeWalt, and seem to last longer.

Don't know about the refiles, but it seems that youcan get a new drill,
charger and 2 batteries for the same price or less than 2 batteries.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message news:fmmck- When I
have trouble with my 18V batteries, I take them to "Batteries
Plus". They refill them with the higher A/Hour cells. The refills
are less expensive than DeWalt, and seem to last longer.

Don't know about the refiles, but it seems that youcan get a new
drill, charger and 2 batteries for the same price or less than 2
batteries.

Yup , and I'm considering buyiong another one just like this one for that
very reason .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:11:02 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Don't know about the refiles, but it seems that youcan get a new

drill, charger and 2 batteries for the same price or less than 2

batteries.

Yup , and I'm considering buyiong another one just like this one for that

very reason .

--

Snag

They will be made in China though...maybe some in Japan left (Makita, Panasonic).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:11:02 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message news:fmmck- When I
have trouble with my 18V batteries, I take them to "Batteries
Plus". They refill them with the higher A/Hour cells. The refills
are less expensive than DeWalt, and seem to last longer.

Don't know about the refiles, but it seems that youcan get a new
drill, charger and 2 batteries for the same price or less than 2
batteries.

Yup , and I'm considering buyiong another one just like this one for that
very reason .

I have some 10 year old cordless Bosch tools ( a 5-piece set ). I
have corded tools to mix paint, mortar, etc. Usually heavy demands.

I bought the Rockwell 3Rill for small jobs ($99.99 for three equal
payments) around the house - not the complete kit as I have tons of
bits, drivers, etc. They fit the chuck.

It would cost me ~$160 to rebuild the Bosch (3) batteries. It was
simple common sense to buy the Rockwell 12.V. For me.

- High torque impact driver, dual-speed VSR drill & screwdriver
- Works in tight spaces & awkward angles where others can't
- Screwdriver-mode features 22 clutch settings
- Utilizes quick-change and traditional bits
- Includes (2) 12V LithiumTech batteries for lasting performance

And impact mode.

Batteries are free for the life of the tool. Buy online get an extra
year warranty for the tool.

https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/12v_lithium_3rill.aspx

The set is temporally sold out :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

Batteries are free for the life of the tool. Buy online get an extra
year warranty for the tool.

https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/12v_lithium_3rill.aspx

The set is temporally sold out :-\

If I needed a cordless now, I would look in to that just because of the free
batteries for life. I have an 18 volt Dewalt and the batteries seem to be
in good shape. I don't use it very often,so they may go bad because they
are not used much. I do charge them a couple of times a year.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do the prices compare to www.primecell.com ??

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

I wouldn't even consider buying a new OEM battery pack if I could have it rebuilt with new cells for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.

I have three "Computer-Trak" Maytag Washers and three "Computer-Trak" Maytag dryers. They're named that because they were the first Maytag commercial laundry machines to utilize new digital controls so that you can program them to give a wide variety of different options. Instead of changing out the coin slide, I can reprogram the machines to require a certain number of quarters before they start, and then to agitate for a programmed amount of time or dry for a programmed amount of time. These machines require a battery to remember their programming if they're unplugged because they were made in 1994 before computer technology no longer required that program memory battery.

ONE Maytag OEM battery for these machines runs almost $100, and the six I'd need would set me back over $600 after you include sales taxes. I had new batteries made up at a local battery shop for $15 each, and they last 3 times as long as the OEM batteries. Those batteries are in the machines as we speak, and they're working exactly the way the OEM ones would. Why would I pay 6 times as much as I need to just to have the Maytag name on the battery pack?

Years ago, when I replaced the batteries the first time, I asked one of the local Maytag repair techs why anyone would pay $100 for one of those batteries if they can have them made up for $10 to $15 at any place that rebuilds battery packs. He said that when a machine had to be repaired under warranty, it had to be an OEM Maytag battery that gets put in, and Maytag reimburses them for the cost of the battery anyway, so the cost didn't matter. That's about the only way it would make sense to buy an OEM battery when you can have a battery pack rebuilt with new cells for half the cost that will last twice as long.

Last edited by nestork : September 18th 14 at 01:13 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2014 2:11 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message news:fmmck- When I
have trouble with my 18V batteries, I take them to "Batteries
Plus". They refill them with the higher A/Hour cells. The refills
are less expensive than DeWalt, and seem to last longer.

Don't know about the refiles, but it seems that youcan get a new
drill, charger and 2 batteries for the same price or less than 2
batteries.

Yup , and I'm considering buyiong another one just like this one for that
very reason .

Yup, I did that last time Lowe's had them on sale for $99. However, you
get the smaller batteries. That's ok for me because they are certainly
lighter in weight. With the way I use them, I've not noticed a problem.
And the big plus for me is that I think my old charger was over
charging (in a trickle mode after the light goes out) because the
battery always remained warm while on the charger. The new charger with
the drill kit, doesn't do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:29:36 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
However, you

get the smaller batteries. That's ok for me because they are certainly

lighter in weight. With the way I use them, I've not noticed a problem.

Lithium batteries are smaller/lighten, charge more efficiently...last at least at long. Possibly what you have?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2014 9:41 AM, BenDarrenBach wrote:
On Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:29:36 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
However, you

get the smaller batteries. That's ok for me because they are certainly

lighter in weight. With the way I use them, I've not noticed a problem.

Lithium batteries are smaller/lighten, charge more efficiently...last at least at long. Possibly what you have?

Lithium batteries are smaller/lighten, charge more efficiently...last
at least at long. Possibly what you have?

Definitely not. DeWalt does have a smaller NiCd battery with a little
less capacity, lighter in weight and slightly smaller in size. I wish
they did have a LIon replacement for the 18 volt DeWalt batteries. It
might be nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My battery dewalt charger was fried with battery on it, does that mean battery is fried

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-807947-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07-02-2021 05:24 Rod Speed wrote:

My battery dewalt charger was fried with
battery on it, does that mean battery is fried

Normally not.

My Dewalt drill smells like ozone & sparks a lot.
But it still works.

Why does it smell like ozone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On 07-02-2021 05:24 Rod Speed wrote:

My battery dewalt charger was fried with battery on it, does that mean
battery is fried

Normally not.

My Dewalt drill smells like ozone & sparks a lot.
But it still works.

Why does it smell like ozone?

Normally because the commutator is arcing.

That's what produces the sparks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 7 Feb 2021 06:59:12 +0530, mike
wrote:

On 07-02-2021 05:24 Rod Speed wrote:

My battery dewalt charger was fried with
battery on it, does that mean battery is fried

Normally not.

My Dewalt drill smells like ozone & sparks a lot.
But it still works.

Why does it smell like ozone?

Because it's sparking a lot.

Just like my Lionel train.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 07-02-2021 05:24 Rod Speed wrote:

My battery dewalt charger was fried with
battery on it, does that mean battery is fried

Normally not.

My Dewalt drill smells like ozone & sparks a lot.
But it still works.

Why does it smell like ozone?

Brushes are shot

Agreed! I just replaced the brushes on my old chop saw. It went from
noisy sparking, smelling with no power to "like new". The brushes looked
worn, so it may not last. But I went for 10 sets of brushes for $12,
rather than the official ones for $20 for a set, so I can replace them
again.

FWIW, the top motor on previous car, or the one before that, probably
that one, the '95 Lebaron, got so bad the top would not go up most times
unless I opened the trunk and whacked the motor with a heavy wrench.
Then I had to whack it 3, 4, 10 times and then it didn't work at all.

I'd been looking for brushes and at the hardware store he had an
assortment. My size was maybe $4 a pair and I took the motor out and
apart, and then I saw that, though the brushes were the same size, the
braided connector on what I'd bought was much thinner. The motor used a
lot of current. I didn't want to do without the convertible top until
I could mail order better brushes. I thought about stretching the
springs but I don't think that would work well,, so I balled up tin foil
and put the brushes in their slots on top of one foil ball for each, on
top of the spring. It was fine for another two years until the car
failed for other reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 10:54:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 07-02-2021 05:24 Rod Speed wrote:

My battery dewalt charger was fried with
battery on it, does that mean battery is fried

Normally not.

My Dewalt drill smells like ozone & sparks a lot.
But it still works.

Why does it smell like ozone?

Because it's sparking a lot.

Just like my Lionel train.

Trains are still in style? I thought that now, these kids play with radio controlled drones with laser beams, etc..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 07-02-2021 05:24 Rod Speed wrote:

My battery dewalt charger was fried with
battery on it, does that mean battery is fried

Normally not.

My Dewalt drill smells like ozone & sparks a lot.
But it still works.

Why does it smell like ozone?

Because it's sparking a lot.

Just like my Lionel train.

Trains are still in style? I thought that now, these kids play with radio controlled drones with laser beams, etc..

And if they are into trains it's virtual on the computer -
withsimulators like flight sim or race simulators that give you the
"engineer experience"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 07-02-2021 05:24 Rod Speed wrote:

My battery dewalt charger was fried with
battery on it, does that mean battery is fried

Normally not.

My Dewalt drill smells like ozone & sparks a lot.
But it still works.

Why does it smell like ozone?
Because it's sparking a lot.

Just like my Lionel train.

Trains are still in style? I thought that now, these kids play with radio controlled drones with laser beams, etc..

Well, it's still my train, even if I haven't played with it for 60
years. (Someone at a hamfest gave me extra track only 15 years ago!)

And if they are into trains it's virtual on the computer -
withsimulators like flight sim or race simulators that give you the
"engineer experience"

I should have sold it long ago when it would have brought money, but I
guess we were sort of saving it for my nephew.