Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default DeWalt drill battery question

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 6 Feb 2021 21:23:39 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

On 2/6/2021 9:04 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 06:59:12 +0530, mike
wrote:

On 07-02-2021 05:24 Rod Speed wrote:

My battery dewalt charger was fried with
battery on it, does that mean battery is fried

Normally not.

My Dewalt drill smells like ozone & sparks a lot.
But it still works.

Why does it smell like ozone?

Brushes are shot

Agreed! I just replaced the brushes on my old chop saw. It went from
noisy sparking, smelling with no power to "like new". The brushes looked
worn, so it may not last. But I went for 10 sets of brushes for $12,
rather than the official ones for $20 for a set, so I can replace them
again.

FWIW, the top motor on previous car, or the one before that, probably
that one, the '95 Lebaron, got so bad the top would not go up most times
unless I opened the trunk and whacked the motor with a heavy wrench.
Then I had to whack it 3, 4, 10 times and then it didn't work at all.

I'd been looking for brushes and at the hardware store he had an
assortment. My size was maybe $4 a pair and I took the motor out and
apart, and then I saw that, though the brushes were the same size, the
braided connector on what I'd bought was much thinner. The motor used a
lot of current. I didn't want to do without the convertible top until
I could mail order better brushes. I thought about stretching the
springs but I don't think that would work well,, so I balled up tin foil
and put the brushes in their slots on top of one foil ball for each, on
top of the spring. It was fine for another two years until the car
failed for other reasons.