Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable Air Tank Question

I need to ask a stupid question. I have a portable air tank that I
have not used for 5 or so years, and I have forgotten how to use it.
Chalk it up to old age.

Anyway - it has no labelling on it whatsoever, so I have no idea who
made the thing. It resembles this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-...T10H/202528456

I can load it with what its gauge says is 100PSI, but I can get
nothing out of it. Obviously I am forgetting what to turn or
otherwise operate to make it release its air. I have a hose connected
(with a quick disconnect) and a trigger-controlled nozzle. I have two
nozzles, and have tried both. I have tried the hose with no nozzle. I
have backed off a little on a 1" knob, thinking that would release the
air. Nothing.

I told you it was dumb. I can't find my old manual nor can I find
same on the web.

Whar have I forgotten?

Thanks

JW
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2014 10:40 AM, wrote:
[...]

Might take four or five complete turns (counter
clockwise) to release the air.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:51:42 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/27/2014 10:40 AM, wrote:

[...]

There isn't much to them. Just a hose/pipe connected to a tank with a valve and pressure gauge. One thing, is he sure he's really filling it? If you had
a gauge before a closed valve, it would read whatever pressure it's connected
up to, but no air would go in the tank. If it's really filling, he should see the pressure slowly climb. And if air goes in, it can't be clogged.

Also don't know what me means by tried it with the hose, but no nozzle.
The typical air disconnects, if there is no attachement, the hose connector
stays shut, no air will come out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It looks to me like the red knob has to be opened before using a tire valve to
fill the tank. Then, the shown hose with it's tire fill valve is used to fill
tires somewhere else.

If you don't open the red valve before filling, you won't get any air in the
tank. If it only takes a moment to fill the tank, it is not getting filled. If
you've replaced the hose shown, we don't have enough info the advise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:40:17 -0400, wrote in

Anyway - it has no labelling on it whatsoever, so I have no idea who
made the thing. It resembles this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-...T10H/202528456

You need to turn the red collar (which encircles the fill valve)
counter-clockwise to open it. If that doesn't work, then something is
clogged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:30:32 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Might take four or five complete turns (counter

clockwise) to release the air.

--

There isn't much to them. Just a hose/pipe connected to a tank with a valve and pressure gauge. One thing, is he sure he's really filling it? If you had
a gauge before a closed valve, it would read whatever pressure it's connected
up to, but no air would go in the tank. If it's really filling, he should see the pressure slowly climb. And if air goes in, it can't be clogged.

Also don't know what me means by tried it with the hose, but no nozzle.
The typical air disconnects, if there is no attachement, the hose connector
stays shut, no air will come out.

I'll try to be more speific. The tank has a gauge on it which read
80PSI before I successfullly added air to a 120PSI. I accomplished
that through a air fitting in the valve assembly on the top of the
tank which allowed the air to be added after I rotated a small knob a
bit. When I then closed that knob i could not add any more air. That
was simple.

Now then, I have a 20' air hose to take air from the tank. I added a
'blow gun' to the hose similar to that at:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_42497_42497

to a coupler similar to :

http://www.airhoseshop.com/site/932654/product/IP4F-S

I get no air out of the gun, nor out of the coupler when I remove the
gun. The latter I expected.

The valve assembly on the top of the tank has a second knob under the
gauge on the outlet hose side of the assembly, which I expect controls
air going out. I have rotated that knob counter clockwise, first a
little bit, then a lot, to see if air would then come out. It does
not.

Is the hose clogged? I thknk not. I have a second large compressor,
and tried the hose on it. Works fine.

Obviously I have missed something trivial here.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't know what that second knob is, but I am pretty sure you have to have
the valve that you used to fill the tank OPEN when you want to take air out
of the tank too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2014 11:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:
There isn't much to them. Just a hose/pipe connected to a tank with a valve and pressure gauge. One thing, is he sure he's really filling it? If you had
a gauge before a closed valve, it would read whatever pressure it's connected
up to, but no air would go in the tank. If it's really filling, he should see the pressure slowly climb. And if air goes in, it can't be clogged.

Also don't know what me means by tried it with the hose, but no nozzle.
The typical air disconnects, if there is no attachement, the hose connector
stays shut, no air will come out.

Plumbing question. We don't know if the valve shuts
the tank from the gage. Be nice if one of us was
boots on the ground, there.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 11:29:09 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You are so right. There are two knobs, one associated wth the input,
one with the output. Not only do they both have to be open, but for
some reason they must be open to a specific point, no more, no less.
Anyway it works now/ I still feel stupid.
Thanks for help
John
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 11:29:09 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

you are welcome. Now write up some instructions for your future reference.
seems like a pretty odd design.

Senior Member

In that link to a similar air tank sold by Home Depot that the OP posted, there's the statement:

"Item cannot be shipped to the following state(s): AK,GU,HI,PR,VI"

...which I presume means Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

I can't think of any safety related reason why they couldn't ship an empty steel tank to any of these places.

Would it simply be that Home Depot only has a license with the manufacturer to sell these tanks within the 48 contiguous states, and so shipping them outside of that geographic territory would encroach on some other retailer's license to sell that product?

Last edited by nestork : August 28th 14 at 02:58 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 03:55:59 +0200, nestork
wrote in

"Item cannot be shipped to the following state(s): AK,GU,HI,PR,VI"

..which I presume means Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the US
Virgin Islands.

I can't think of any safety related reason why they couldn't ship an
empty steel tank to any of these places.

Maybe shipping cost (air or sea) to non continental locations?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNG[_2_] View Post
Maybe shipping cost (air or sea) to non continental locations?
No, I kinda doubt that would be it since the shipping costs are normally borne by the customer. That might be the case if they offered FREE shipping, but in that case they could just say "free shipping to the contiguous 48 states". Then, someone in Alaska would have to reimburse Home Depot for the higher shipping cost by simply paying more for the item (with the shipping costs included in the bill).

Last edited by nestork : August 28th 14 at 02:51 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:47:59 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
'CRNG[_2_ Wrote:

;3277232']

Maybe shipping cost (air or sea) to non continental locations?

No, I kinda doubt that would be it since the shipping costs are normally

borne by the customer. That might be the case if they offered FREE

shipping, but in that case they could just say "free shipping to the

contiguous 48 states". Then, someone in Alaska would have to reimburse

Home Depot for the higher shipping cost by simply paying more for the

item (with the shipping costs included in the bill).

Say the shipping more than doubles the cost of the tank and HD knows that
local stores, etc have the product at reasonable prices, so shipping them is ridiculous. So maybe they wanted to save customers the
time of screwing around, figuring out the shipping cost and then never
buying it anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:03:16 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:47:59 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
'CRNG[_2_ Wrote:

;3277232']

Maybe shipping cost (air or sea) to non continental locations?

No, I kinda doubt that would be it since the shipping costs are normally

borne by the customer. That might be the case if they offered FREE

shipping, but in that case they could just say "free shipping to the

contiguous 48 states". Then, someone in Alaska would have to reimburse

Home Depot for the higher shipping cost by simply paying more for the

item (with the shipping costs included in the bill).

Say the shipping more than doubles the cost of the tank and HD knows that
local stores, etc have the product at reasonable prices, so shipping them is ridiculous. So maybe they wanted to save customers the
time of screwing around, figuring out the shipping cost and then never
buying it anyway.

I would agree. Most items in Hawaii are shipped by sea. A single item
would be cost prohibitive - for an single portable air tank. If you
move there and have your car shipped - it gets expensive.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader_4 View Post
Say the shipping more than doubles the cost of the tank and HD knows that
local stores, etc have the product at reasonable prices, so shipping them is ridiculous. So maybe they wanted to save customers the time of screwing around, figuring out the shipping cost and then never buying it anyway.
HE: "But I want that compressed air tank! It's identical to the one I borrowed from my boss and lost. He might not notice it's brand new, but if he does he's going to know that I went out of my way to replace it with an identical one."

SHE: "Sorry, Sir but we have a policy to protect you from excessive shipping costs, and that's the reason we won't ship to Alaska."

HE: "How much is the shipping on that tank?"

SHE: "It's too much. You won't want to pay for the shipping."

HE: "I'll pay the shipping. How much is it?"

SHE: "I told you, Sir. It's too much."

HE: "Look, if I'm willing to buy that tank AND pay the shipping on it, however much that is. Why won't you sell it to me and ship it to me?"

SHE: "Company policy, Sir. We're protecting you from yourself. Otherwise you would incur excessive shipping costs, and you'd blame us for it."

He: "I won't blame anyone. I'm willing to buy that tank and pay the goddam shipping costs on it whatever they are. Why can't we do this?"

SHE: "It's the company policy. Someone has to protect you from making poor decisions like that."

HE: "Can I speak to your supervisor?"

SHE: "No Sir. It's for your own good, Sir. We're protecting you from your own poor judgement."

HE: "Let me talk to your goddam supervisor."

SHE: "No Sir. Some day you'll thank me."
CLICK
DIAL TONE

HE: "She hung up on me!?!"

Last edited by nestork : August 29th 14 at 04:13 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 8/27/2014 11:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Also don't know what me means by tried it with the hose, but no
nozzle. The typical air disconnects, if there is no attachement, the
hose connector stays shut, no air will come out.

He tried the quick connect w/o any attachment?