Jim

Default Portable Air tank question

I just purchased a 10 gallon 135 max psi portable air tank at Sears, so
that I can fill and store it, then have a handy source to fill tires and
whatnot when I need to. Product webpage: http://tinyurl.com/6ys6u

Then I read the directions. It says "Always drain the tank of all air
after the last use for the day & before repairing or removing any
component parts." I imagine they're concerned about moisture which
could probably condense in the tank as the air decompresses, but maybe
it's just a concern that somebody could be hurt w/ the compressed air?
It does warn to disperse any accumulated moisture by draining to 25 psi
and then inverting it while draining the remaining pressure. .

Does anyone store air in these tanks for extended periods of time
(apparently that is more than one day)? Will I be alright if I drain
the tank every month or two and invert it so the moisture can come
out? If I can't use it to store compressed air in the garage, I might
as well return it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim" wrote in message
Then I read the directions. It says "Always drain the tank of all air
after the last use for the day & before repairing or removing any
component parts." I imagine they're concerned about moisture which
could probably condense in the tank as the air decompresses, but maybe
it's just a concern that somebody could be hurt w/ the compressed air?
It does warn to disperse any accumulated moisture by draining to 25 psi
and then inverting it while draining the remaining pressure. .

Does anyone store air in these tanks for extended periods of time
(apparently that is more than one day)? Will I be alright if I drain
the tank every month or two and invert it so the moisture can come
out? If I can't use it to store compressed air in the garage, I might
as well return it.

Compressing air heats the air molecules, and the water molecules and it
carries the moisture into the air. It will condense in the piping to the
point of use. Commercial systems have refrigerated dryers to remove the
moisture.

Over time you may pick up a little, but probably not much. Certainly not
enough for a single use to be of real concern. FWIW, I drain my compressor
tank about twice a year and get but a few drops. I tis not in constant use
like an industrial application.

Is the tank a good idea? Handy to take to a place with no other air. I'd
be more concerned that it will keep the air and not leak out over time so
when that tire is flat in the morning, you don't have what you need. A
cheap compressor would be more useful for that. Portable tanks are good to
fill up, then take it to the stranded car with the flat tire. Or to take up
to the bedroom where you want to use an air nailer to tack up a molding.

Jag Man

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Edwin. I have a portable, but I can't depend on it. I
think it
has a leaky valve or something. I finally got a cheap compressor. A
good
investment. Still use the portable a little, like when I take a car to
a DYI car wash to clean the engine... to blow the water out of places
it shouldn't be.

Ed

TURTLE

"Jim" wrote in message ...
[...]

This is Turtle.

I see no problem with light use as to get water in the tank. Just anytime you re
fill it check for water in it but it is rare to get much in them with light use.
I have friend of mine that runs a tire place and he uses one everyday and he
told me one time that he would get a ounce of water out of it every 6 month or
so. Now he re fills it 1 to 4 times a day every day. We got to talking about
this for he wanted to get some freon drums to use as air tanks and all freon
tank now a days have a check valve in them and air will come out but will not go
back in just for this reason to not let you use them for air tanks.

So about every 100 refillings check for water.

TURTLE

Beachcomber

This is Turtle.

I see no problem with light use as to get water in the tank. Just anytime you re
fill it check for water in it but it is rare to get much in them with light use.
I have friend of mine that runs a tire place and he uses one everyday and he
told me one time that he would get a ounce of water out of it every 6 month or
so. Now he re fills it 1 to 4 times a day every day. We got to talking about
this for he wanted to get some freon drums to use as air tanks and all freon
tank now a days have a check valve in them and air will come out but will not go
back in just for this reason to not let you use them for air tanks.

So about every 100 refillings check for water.

TURTLE

Different equipment, different experiences I guess.

I have a cheapo Costco air compressor that maxes out at 135 psi or so.
It has an oil-less compressor with a small tank. Every time I use
it, I will get a few ounces of water in the tank. The manufactuer
says this is normal and recommends opening the bleed valve at the
bottom of the tank and running the compressor for a minute or so to
blow out the water.

Supposedly, the tank is steel and water can cause rust and eventual
failure.

Beachcomber

m Ransley

Small air tanks will not hold air for extended periods in that price
range, the valves are just not good enough. A small compressor is
better.

Andrew Neilson

I have had the same 'air pig' for the last fifteen years. I have never
drained it, not once. I have stored high pressure air in it for extended
periods and it doesn't leak at all.
Based on my experience, I wouldn't worry.

"Jim" wrote in message ...
[...]

I'd get a long hose before I'd get a portable air tank.

TURTLE

"Beachcomber" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

When your at the point of compressing the air. You get the water to drop out,
but after you have compressed it and then moved to another vessel. The majority
of the water does not move with it when filling a refill tank.

Also if you don't have a air drier on your compressor expect water to be in your
tank all the time to rust it out. Draining it does very little good except to
not get water in the tires your filling for it will be damp all the time in the
fill or compressor tank.

TURTLE

blueman

"Andrew Neilson" writes:
I have had the same 'air pig' for the last fifteen years. I have never
drained it, not once. I have stored high pressure air in it for extended
periods and it doesn't leak at all.
Based on my experience, I wouldn't worry.

My compressor is 8Gallon inexpensive.
Would it make sense to keep my portable 10 gallon tank attached to the
compressor when I am not using it portablyl so that I now have a
combined 18 gallons of storage capacity?

Robert Barr

Jim wrote:

I have a similar tank that I bought perhaps 15 years ago. It holds
pressure indefinitely, and I've never found water in it. (Checked once
about two years ago). Most of the atmospheric water vapor will be
compressed out in the compressor's tank.

One thing to be concerned with is this: Don't fill it to its limit when
it's very cold outside. Leave perhaps a 20 psi safety gap. Once it
warms up, the pressure in that little tank will increase, just like
anything else -- car tires, basketballs, etcetera.
Edwin Pawlowski

"blueman" wrote in message
My compressor is 8Gallon inexpensive.
Would it make sense to keep my portable 10 gallon tank attached to the
compressor when I am not using it portablyl so that I now have a
combined 18 gallons of storage capacity?

It will give you more initial capacity if you are suddenly using a lot of
air, but once the pressure comes down, it will not increase any faster than
the compressor can put it out for any tank. Then it will take longer to get
back up to pressure.

Stormin Mormon

Makes sense to me. I've wondered if it would make sense to use an old 82
galon water heater. After all, the gas companies somtimes take out the
electric ones when they put in gas. I've seen the "boneyards" out behind the
gas places.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"blueman" wrote in message
"Andrew Neilson" writes:
I have had the same 'air pig' for the last fifteen years. I have never
drained it, not once. I have stored high pressure air in it for extended
periods and it doesn't leak at all.
Based on my experience, I wouldn't worry.

My compressor is 8Gallon inexpensive.
Would it make sense to keep my portable 10 gallon tank attached to the
compressor when I am not using it portablyl so that I now have a
combined 18 gallons of storage capacity?

Stormin Mormon

I'm probably going to die tomorrow. I've got three portable tanks (or maybe
two, I think I traded one away) and have never drained any of them.

Yes, certainly it's an excellent idea.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim" wrote in message ...
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Got one that will reach about 10 miles down the road to where the wife had a
flat tire?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd get a long hose before I'd get a portable air tank.

clogged oil tank whistle Steve Home Repair 16 February 4th 21 06:53 PM
Septic Tank Perk Test Question. Robert Martin Home Ownership 3 October 18th 04 05:10 PM
Can you hook up a compressor to a portable air tank? jtpr Home Repair 5 October 15th 04 11:21 PM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
LP tank valve removal UPDATE Serial # 19781010 Metalworking 99 December 5th 03 03:14 PM