Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fridge Won't Pull Down

Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main compartment wont
go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and icemaker working OK. Appears not
to be "iced-up" No error codes showing on control panel. One "factory
repairman" says it is working fine and has given up on it. My take is that
it is too warm for safe food storage. We will probably try another repair
service but it is hard to get their attention this time of year in LA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert King wrote:
Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main compartment
wont go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and icemaker working OK.
Appears not to be "iced-up" No error codes showing on control panel. One
"factory repairman" says it is working fine and has given up on it. My
take is that it is too warm for safe food storage. We will probably try
another repair service but it is hard to get their attention this time
of year in LA.

Hi,
One thing, make sure the drain hose is not plugged up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 16:04:47 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Robert King wrote:
Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main compartment
wont go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and icemaker working OK.
Appears not to be "iced-up" No error codes showing on control panel. One
"factory repairman" says it is working fine and has given up on it. My
take is that it is too warm for safe food storage. We will probably try
another repair service but it is hard to get their attention this time
of year in LA.

Hi,
One thing, make sure the drain hose is not plugged up.

.... and check the door seal. Clean with a tad of bleach water and
cloth rag. The door seal ought to hold a dollar bill tightly.
--
"I'd rather have a loyal dog that licks me than one with a pedigree that bites me" -- Mike Huckabee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2014 6:01 PM, Robert King wrote:
Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main compartment
wont go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and icemaker working OK.
Appears not to be "iced-up" No error codes showing on control panel. One
"factory repairman" says it is working fine and has given up on it. My
take is that it is too warm for safe food storage. We will probably try
another repair service but it is hard to get their attention this time
of year in LA.

I'd check the freezer with a thermometer.
Just for grins, squeeze the ice cream.

At present, I'm thinking one of a couple
problems, but you didn't ask for advice.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert King wrote:
Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main
compartment wont go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and icemaker
working OK. Appears not to be "iced-up" No error codes showing on
control panel. One "factory repairman" says it is working fine and
has given up on it. My take is that it is too warm for safe food
storage. We will probably try another repair service but it is hard
to get their attention this time of year in LA.

Empty it. Turn it off, and leave it off and open for at least a couple days. If
you're lucky, the ice will melt, drain passages will open and everything will
work fine when re-started. If it works for a while, then messes up again, you
either have a plugged drain or the defrost cycle is not working properly. If you
can find the drain pan, probably at the bottom, and the drain line going into
it, you could try blowing ot the drain line before re-starting it. If you can't
blow air through the drain line, water probably can't get out through it.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2014 6:57 PM, Bob F wrote:
Robert King wrote:
storage. We will probably try another
repair service but it is hard
to get their attention this time of year in LA.

Empty it. Turn it off, and leave it off
and open for at least a couple days. If

Says he's calling another repair service.
What would make you want to interfere with
his clearly stated plan?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Senior Member

If the freezer is keeping ice cream hard, but the fresh food compartment is too warm, I would check that the fridge light bulb is going out when the fresh food compartment doors are closed. Open each fresh food compartment door and close it until you can barely see the light through the crack between the door gasket and the fridge. You should see the light go off in each compartment just before the door closes.

Oren's suggestion of checking the door gasket seal is a good one. Close the door on a dollar bill in multiple places around the fridge door (except on the hinge side). The door gasket will have magnets in it (except on the hinge side) and the door should pull tightly enough so that the dollar bill doesn't move at all.

Check to make sure the cold control setting on the fridge wasn't moved inadvertantly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Robert King wrote:
Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main
compartment wont go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and
icemaker working OK. Appears not to be "iced-up" No error codes
showing on control panel. One "factory repairman" says it is
working fine and has given up on it. My take is that it is too warm
for safe food storage. We will probably try another repair service
but it is hard to get their attention this time of year in LA.

Hi,
One thing, make sure the drain hose is not plugged up.

... and check the door seal. Clean with a tad of bleach water and
cloth rag. The door seal ought to hold a dollar bill tightly.

I had a Kenmore ? that had a similar problem . Turned out to be the temp
sensor on the evap coil . Coil iced , no air flow to the lower compartment .
Another time we had one that developed an ice blockage in the air passage
that's supposed to cool the fredge section . Second problem was caused by a
blocked drain tube .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 01:56:14 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Oren's suggestion of checking the door gasket seal is a good one. Close
the door on a dollar bill in multiple places around the fridge door
(except on the hinge side). The door gasket will have magnets in it
(except on the hinge side) and the door should pull tightly enough so
that the dollar bill doesn't move at all.

Save a penguin.

The gasket door seal is a good place to start
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2014 6:01 PM, Robert King wrote:
Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main compartment
wont go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and icemaker working OK.
Appears not to be "iced-up" No error codes showing on control panel. One
"factory repairman" says it is working fine and has given up on it. My
take is that it is too warm for safe food storage. We will probably try
another repair service but it is hard to get their attention this time
of year in LA.

Usually a problem with air circulation between freezer and refrigerator
sections. Evap coil frozen, evap fan not working

Posted to alt.home.repair

make certain the cooling coils are CLEAN. Insufficent cooling can come from excess dirt, and even pet hair
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 10:22:48 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/9/2014 6:01 PM, Robert King wrote:

Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main compartment

wont go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and icemaker working OK.

Appears not to be "iced-up" No error codes showing on control panel. One

"factory repairman" says it is working fine and has given up on it. My

take is that it is too warm for safe food storage. We will probably try

another repair service but it is hard to get their attention this time

of year in LA.

Usually a problem with air circulation between freezer and refrigerator

sections. Evap coil frozen, evap fan not working

+1

And I hope he didn't pay the tech that said a 50F temp in the fridge is
normal. Not being able to fix it is bad enough, but spouting total BS
is intolerable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2014 9:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/9/2014 6:01 PM, Robert King wrote:
Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main compartment
wont go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and icemaker working OK.
Appears not to be "iced-up" No error codes showing on control panel. One
"factory repairman" says it is working fine and has given up on it. My
take is that it is too warm for safe food storage. We will probably try
another repair service but it is hard to get their attention this time
of year in LA.

Usually a problem with air circulation between freezer and refrigerator
sections. Evap coil frozen, evap fan not working

'

I had the defrost heater go bad, this allowed the evaporator to get
ice covered. The air could not circulate and the refrigerator side got
warmer.
I replaced the heater. Problem solved.
Mikek
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert King" wrote in message
eb.com...
Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main compartment
wont go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and icemaker working OK.
Appears not to be "iced-up" No error codes showing on control panel. One
"factory repairman" says it is working fine and has given up on it. My
take is that it is too warm for safe food storage. We will probably try
another repair service but it is hard to get their attention this time of
year in LA.

Problem Solved: Evaporator was iced-up due to misplaced defrost temp
sensor. Also slight
air leak near where capillary tube enters cold compartment. Latter fixed by
application of Ductseal
to leak area. Both fixed by Samsung Factory Service on warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2014 6:57 PM, Robert King wrote:

Samsung 29 cu-ft french door model, 4 yrs old. Temp in main
compartment wont go lower than 50F. Freezer compartment and icemaker

Problem Solved: Evaporator was iced-up due to misplaced defrost temp
sensor. Also slight
air leak near where capillary tube enters cold compartment. Latter fixed
by application of Ductseal
to leak area. Both fixed by Samsung Factory Service on warranty.

That's very kind of you, let us know how things
worked out. Thank you. We can learn from this.

--
..
Christopher A. Young