Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magnetic appliance breakaway cord

On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer
outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the
fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio ) or with a short
extension cord?

No children at home or weather conditions that would cause a problem
for short term use outside and then moved back inside. The unit is
1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved
fryer.

What am I missing? I'm all ears.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:55:21 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer

outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the

fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio ) or with a short

extension cord?

No children at home or weather conditions that would cause a problem

for short term use outside and then moved back inside. The unit is

1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved

fryer.

What am I missing? I'm all ears.

Extension cord is probably to cover their asses because
an extension cord makes it more likely someone could trip
over it and pour the oil on themselves. Maybe wrapping the
cord around the fryer so that even with an easy to separate
connection, it still dumps the oil. Also, outside people
tend to have more flimsy locations to set it, maybe on a
shakey table, etc. And more likely to need to use that extension cord there, that's all I can think of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2014 1:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer
outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the
fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio ) or with a short
extension cord?

No children at home or weather conditions that would cause a problem
for short term use outside and then moved back inside. The unit is
1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved
fryer.

What am I missing? I'm all ears.

Because some lawyer is telling you not to. You have the audacity to
challenge the lawyers?

I think it is just the twit defense. Some twit will heat it up and
leave it in the rain, plugged in. They will also run a 100 foot
extension cord with 18 gauge wire.

Read further and it will probably tell you not to use it in the shower
or in bed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 14:24:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/4/2014 1:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer
outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the
fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio ) or with a short
extension cord?

No children at home or weather conditions that would cause a problem
for short term use outside and then moved back inside. The unit is
1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved
fryer.

What am I missing? I'm all ears.

Because some lawyer is telling you not to. You have the audacity to
challenge the lawyers?

Yes. I'm a recalcitrant type.

I think it is just the twit defense. Some twit will heat it up and
leave it in the rain, plugged in. They will also run a 100 foot
extension cord with 18 gauge wire.

Read further and it will probably tell you not to use it in the shower
or in bed.

The manual did say don't allow children to put the breakaway cord in
their mouth. I figured is was just lawyer jargon.

I off to fry us some Southern fried chicken & fries a little later
today. Outside no less. I did remove all the packaging so I don't get
hurt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2014 12:55 PM, Oren wrote:

On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer
outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the
fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio )

I would guess because it lacks a grounded plug, and any appliance with
a heating element is going to pull a lot of current. They don't want
to take a chance.

or with a short
extension cord?

Probably trip hazard. But maybe that magnetic connection would
overheat from too-long a cord/voltage drop issue?

The unit is
1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved
fryer.

Is this the original cord for the deep fryer, or is it a replacement?
Or to be more specific: is the cord itself UL approved? There's a lot
of Chinese electrical crap being sold that is not UL listed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 14:03:39 -0500, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

Is this the original cord for the deep fryer, or is it a replacement?
Or to be more specific: is the cord itself UL approved? There's a lot
of Chinese electrical crap being sold that is not UL listed.

Fresh out of the box, made in China with a polarized plug. So I don't
need to call an electrician, because I installed the outside CFCI
receptacles - genuine Good Housekeeping seal of approval
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/14, 1:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer
outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the
fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio ) or with a short
extension cord?

No children at home or weather conditions that would cause a problem
for short term use outside and then moved back inside. The unit is
1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved
fryer.

What am I missing? I'm all ears.

Some extension cords might be dangerous with a 15-amp load. Cooking
stuff used outdoors could get knocked over. If the fryer were left
outdoors, perhaps deterioration of the plastic could make it dangerous.

If I were going to heat a gallon of oil, I'd rather do it outdoors to
minimize possible fire damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 15:55:11 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

Some extension cords might be dangerous with a 15-amp load. Cooking
stuff used outdoors could get knocked over. If the fryer were left
outdoors, perhaps deterioration of the plastic could make it dangerous.

Given the location, on a stable platform, I really won't need an ext.
cord.

If I were going to heat a gallon of oil, I'd rather do it outdoors to
minimize possible fire damage.

Yep. When I cook, 97% is outside - keeps my bride happy, too.

Chicken just needs a coating after it drains a bit, Fries get some
seasoning, then double fried - makes 'em crispier.

I'm hungry
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer
outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the
fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio ) or with a short
extension cord?

No children at home or weather conditions that would cause a problem
for short term use outside and then moved back inside. The unit is
1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved
fryer.

What am I missing? I'm all ears.

Hi,
As long as you use heavy enough ext. cord, I don't see any problem.
When you use the fryer if the cord feels warm or hot you know what it means.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 14:21:27 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

As long as you use heavy enough ext. cord, I don't see any problem.
When you use the fryer if the cord feels warm or hot you know what it means.

I'd plan to use a 12AWG cord. I can adapt without a need for an ext.
cord though. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 10:55:21 -0700, Oren wrote:

On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer
outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the
fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio ) or with a short
extension cord?

No children at home or weather conditions that would cause a problem
for short term use outside and then moved back inside. The unit is
1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved
fryer.

What am I missing? I'm all ears.

I suppose if it rains into the hot oil, the oil will splatter.

But that's what the warning should say, not some all ever-present rule
against using it outdoors.

And isn't that also true when you put in chicken that has any water on
it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer
outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the
fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio ) or with a short
extension cord?

No children at home or weather conditions that would cause a problem
for short term use outside and then moved back inside. The unit is
1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved
fryer.

What am I missing? I'm all ears.

Because we've never owned a deep fryer I was totally unaware that
magnetic breakaway cords have been required for over 13 years.

It looks like they also offered new opportunities for some liability
lawyers to increase their revenues. See:

http://tinyurl.com/pdczyb2

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/14, 1:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer
outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the
fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio ) or with a short
extension cord?

No children at home or weather conditions that would cause a problem
for short term use outside and then moved back inside. The unit is
1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved
fryer.

What am I missing? I'm all ears.

Some extension cords might be dangerous with a 15-amp load. Cooking
stuff used outdoors could get knocked over. If the fryer were left
outdoors, perhaps deterioration of the plastic could make it dangerous.

Just for the record, I've left my 75 foot red extension cord outside for
the last 7 years, lying on the ground, through snow and rain. Never even
tripped the GFCI breaker. And red part is in exceellent condition.

If I were going to heat a gallon of oil, I'd rather do it outdoors to
minimize possible fire damage.

Sounds right to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 18:08:05 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Because we've never owned a deep fryer I was totally unaware that
magnetic breakaway cords have been required for over 13 years.

It looks like they also offered new opportunities for some liability
lawyers to increase their revenues. See:

http://tinyurl.com/pdczyb2

Jeff

That is terrible about the children. Makes me feel sad. The manual
details all the things in the link, for the most part. I can see
dangers to people in general. I just finished using my deep fryer for
the first time. It is not something that should be left unattended
for certain. It needs constant watch and adult supervision. I cooked
with it inside this first time. No children here at home. Everybody
is out of the kitchen when I cook - mandatory policy on my part, even
the dog. As others stated, all those "don't do this" in the manual
are for good reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair
boB boB is offline

No deep fryers in my kitchen...or anywhere else for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQYTMFCLy5E

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 04:54:14 -0400, Bob wrote:

No deep fryers in my kitchen...or anywhere else for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQYTMFCLy5E

I've done the deep fried turkey thing. You really have to be careful
and do it away from structures. Many idiots out there that won't take
proper precautions.

We do have a deep fryer and it gets used a half dozen times a year.
Safe as long as you follow the rules, quite the danger if not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 19:45:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 04:54:14 -0400, Bob wrote:

No deep fryers in my kitchen...or anywhere else for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQYTMFCLy5E

Not everybody is so dumb to do those things shown in the video!

I've done the deep fried turkey thing. You really have to be careful
and do it away from structures. Many idiots out there that won't take
proper precautions.

We do have a deep fryer and it gets used a half dozen times a year.
Safe as long as you follow the rules, quite the danger if not.

Chicken was / is great, even cold today. Light crust, not greasy or
soggy. Golden brown. Used the wrong taters for the fries, though.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/b52kaw.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/nvxvo1.jpg

Eggs rolls, Wiener Schnitzel and fish w/hush puppies coming soon