Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Magnetic appliance breakaway cord

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 15:55:11 -0400, J Burns wrote:

On 6/4/14, 1:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On a small deep fryer... 1 gallon / 4L.

Pic:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m58zRAvadGzayclvLA_D9WQ.jpg

RTM states not to use an extension cord or use the deep fryer
outdoors. Okay, I get the safety around children, but miss why the
fryer cannot be used outdoors (under patio ) or with a short
extension cord?

No children at home or weather conditions that would cause a problem
for short term use outside and then moved back inside. The unit is
1800W 120V. Power is from a GFCI receptacle outside. UL approved
fryer.

What am I missing? I'm all ears.

Some extension cords might be dangerous with a 15-amp load. Cooking
stuff used outdoors could get knocked over. If the fryer were left
outdoors, perhaps deterioration of the plastic could make it dangerous.

Just for the record, I've left my 75 foot red extension cord outside for
the last 7 years, lying on the ground, through snow and rain. Never even
tripped the GFCI breaker. And red part is in exceellent condition.

If I were going to heat a gallon of oil, I'd rather do it outdoors to
minimize possible fire damage.

Sounds right to me.