Senior Member

Default File recovery freeware

I have some files I want to keep on a 4 GB USB drive. Just yesterday I put that USB drive into my computer and instead of opening the drive, I got a message saying "The drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

Obviously, I clicked on the "No" option because formatting it would make things worse. I've tried putting that USB drive into two other computers with the same result.

The files are undoubtedly all still there, but perhaps the file allocation table is corrupted or something like that.

Does anyone know of any good file recovery freeware that would allow me to recover the files on this USB drive?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 23:10:33 +0200, nestork
wrote:

I have some files I want to keep on a 4 GB USB drive. Just yesterday I
put that USB drive into my computer and instead of opening the drive, I
got a message saying "The drive is not formatted. Do you want to format
it now?"

Obviously, I clicked on the "No" option because formatting it would make
things worse.

The files are undoubtedly all still there, but perhaps the partition
information was corrupted or something like that.

Does anyone know of any good file recovery freeware that would allow me
to recover all the files on this USB drive?

Can you see the patrician under _My Computer_?

I can't give a recommendation for a recovery program. When I use
freeware I get it from downloads.cnet.com. You get mixed reviews.

This is one. I've not used it but it will give a starting place to dig
around under system utilities.

http://download.cnet.com/Pandora-Recovery/3000-2094_4-10694796.html
Senior Member

Thanks, Oren.

I'll Google something like "Award Winning Freeware File Recovery" and see what comes up.

One problem I've found is that you have to be careful about how long ago the web pages you get were put on the internet. If I get award winning freeware from 1987, that's not what I'm looking for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 01:18:33 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Thanks, Oren.

I'll Google something like "Award Winning Freeware File Recovery" and
see what comes up.

One problem I've found is that you have to be careful about how long ago
the web pages you get were put on the internet. If I get award winning
freeware from 1987, that's not what I'm looking for.

True. Get the current version. Hopefully a version dated today will be
compatible with your current OS (I'm guessing XP as you did not
mention it).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2014 4:10 PM, nestork wrote:

I have some files I want to keep on a 4 GB USB drive. Just yesterday I
put that USB drive into my computer and instead of opening the drive, I
got a message saying "The drive is not formatted. Do you want to format
it now?"

Obviously, I clicked on the "No" option because formatting it would make
things worse.

The files are undoubtedly all still there, but perhaps the partition
information was corrupted or something like that.

Does anyone know of any good file recovery freeware that would allow me
to recover all the files on this USB drive?

Try something available from filehippo.com, I saw a few that might work
but I have paid versions of software that will do it so I'll post links
to the freeware programs I believe may work. ^_^

http://filehippo.com/download_file_recovery/

http://filehippo.com/download_recuva

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:03:50 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 4/19/2014 4:10 PM, nestork wrote:

I have some files I want to keep on a 4 GB USB drive. Just yesterday I
put that USB drive into my computer and instead of opening the drive, I
got a message saying "The drive is not formatted. Do you want to format
it now?"

Obviously, I clicked on the "No" option because formatting it would make
things worse.

The files are undoubtedly all still there, but perhaps the partition
information was corrupted or something like that.

Does anyone know of any good file recovery freeware that would allow me
to recover all the files on this USB drive?

Try something available from filehippo.com, I saw a few that might work
but I have paid versions of software that will do it so I'll post links
to the freeware programs I believe may work. ^_^

http://filehippo.com/download_file_recovery/

The above may fit the ticket for Nestor. "Finds partitions
automatically, even if the boot sector or FAT has been erased or
damaged"

http://filehippo.com/download_recuva

TDD

Nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yep, put File Hippo in your index of great sources for good freeware. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I did. I'll try it on a long thought dead drive I have. It may have
met the ghost though. Last I tried to access the drive the BIOS would
not recognized it. It gets another chance now, before I cannibalize
it.

I'm not sure it will work but surely worth one last try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If you don't mind checking a site once a day. You can get software you'd
have to pay for at no cost for one day. I've obtained thousands of
dollars of commercial software at no cost from the two sites I'm posting
links to. The software could be anything and something you may need.
There can be something like a screensaver one day and a good hard disk
utility suite the next which is why you must check every day. Be careful
of some installations since they might try to slip in crapware or
advertising. It's not unusual for a lot of installations of even
freeware to try to slip in Chrome and make it your default browser so
exercise due diligence during any software installation. ^_^

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 4/19/2014 4:10 PM, nestork wrote:

I have some files I want to keep on a 4 GB USB drive.
Just
yesterday I put that USB drive into my computer and
instead of
opening the drive, I got a message saying "The drive
is not
formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

Obviously, I clicked on the "No" option because
formatting it
would make things worse.

The files are undoubtedly all still there, but perhaps
the
partition information was corrupted or something like
that.

Does anyone know of any good file recovery freeware
that would
allow me to recover all the files on this USB drive?

Try something available from filehippo.com, I saw a few
that might
work but I have paid versions of software that will do
it so I'll
post links to the freeware programs I believe may work.
^_^

[...]

you may also find these useful
http://www.nonags.com/

http://www.oldversion.com/

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2014 10:29 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a good program. I've lost drives,
before.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

I have some files I want to keep on a 4 GB USB drive.
Just yesterday I put that USB drive into my computer and
instead of opening the drive, I got a message saying "The
drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

Obviously, I clicked on the "No" option because
formatting it would make things worse.

The files are undoubtedly all still there, but perhaps
the partition information was corrupted or something like
that.

Does anyone know of any good file recovery freeware that
would allow me to recover all the files on this USB drive?

I wouldn't be messing with file recovery soft (which is doubtful anyway),
I'd be looking for partition management/repair/recovery/rescue programs. I
can't remember them all but I have used one from Paragon in the past and -
generally - I think well of Paragon software. Here is a link to their free
rescue program...
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

....and to their other free programs (they have paid ones too, more bells and
whistles)...
http://www.paragon-software.com/free/

Another option is to get a bootable linux CD and see if it can read your
drive. IOW, I doubt it is the drive, more likely Windows. If you have
another computer, trying the drive on it might bring joy as well.

Finally, hardware failure (other than the drive) might be the problem;
specifically, the power supply unit.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in
:

I have some files I want to keep on a 4 GB USB drive. Just yesterday I
put that USB drive into my computer and instead of opening the drive, I
got a message saying "The drive is not formatted. Do you want to format
it now?"

Obviously, I clicked on the "No" option because formatting it would make
things worse.

The files are undoubtedly all still there, but perhaps the partition
information was corrupted or something like that.

Does anyone know of any good file recovery freeware that would allow me
to recover all the files on this USB drive?

You have tried it in another computer right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" writes:

"nestork" wrote in message

[...]

Yep. Can't read partition table is frequently the whole drive down.
I just had that symptom and re-seating the Sata cable cured the problem.

Booting up with a Linux CD is a great suggestion.
Windows seems to just do mysterious things when confronted with an
error, but Linux produces readable diagnostics.

When a drive went bad in my laptop, Windows just hung. A Linux
boot CD told me the drive wasn't accessible.

Finally, hardware failure (other than the drive) might be the problem;
specifically, the power supply unit.

I don't think the machine will turn on at all for most power supply
issues.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message

"dadiOH" writes:

Finally, hardware failure (other than the drive) might
be the problem; specifically, the power supply unit.

I don't think the machine will turn on at all for most
power supply issues.

I suppose it depends upon exactly what the issue is but I'm here to tell you
that some will mimic a failed/failing drive.

A few years back I had a drive that gave me fits...sometimes good, sometimes
not readable. I tried everything I could think of, finally tried a
different PSU. Bingo, drive worked perfectly.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Senior Member

Thanks guys.

I Googled "Award Winning Freeware File Recovery" and downloaded about 17 different programs on top of the ones suggested in this thread. Unfortunately, file recovery programs seem to all deal with undeleting DELETED files, and in this case nothing has been deleted. I expect the problem is a corrupted file allocation table because every computer I put the USB drive in tells me the drive has not been formatted, and asks me if I want to format it. That tells me the problem is with how the USB drive has addressed the files stored on it, not with the files themselves.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 13:29:52 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

You have tried it in another computer right?

+1

Nestor didn't mention if he could see the USB in _My Computer_.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/20/2014 10:21 AM, Dan.Espen wrote:
"dadiOH" writes:

"nestork" wrote in message

[...]

Yep. I use Linux as my main OS and have recovered dozens of Windows
drives by using it.

If there is a file system error other than what would normally invoke a
chkdsk /f , Windows will not mount the volume. No problem however from Linux
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Unfortunately, file recovery programs seem to all deal with undeleting
| DELETED files, and in this case nothing has been deleted. I expect the
| problem is a corrupted file allocation table because every computer I
| put the USB drive in tells me the drive has not been formatted,

Any partitioning program should be able to recover
corrupted or deleted partitions, which then makes
the files available. I'm not sure about USB sticks, though.
I have one stick that's not seen at all in one particular
Win7 laptop. I have no idea why. I don't trust them with
anything other than moving files from one place to another.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 20, 2014 2:39:40 PM UTC-7, Mayayana wrote:
| Unfortunately, file recovery programs seem to all deal with undeleting

| DELETED files, and in this case nothing has been deleted. I expect the

| problem is a corrupted file allocation table because every computer I

| put the USB drive in tells me the drive has not been formatted,

Any partitioning program should be able to recover

corrupted or deleted partitions, which then makes

the files available. I'm not sure about USB sticks, though.

I have one stick that's not seen at all in one particular

Win7 laptop. I have no idea why. I don't trust them with

anything other than moving files from one place to another.

Just wondering here... Is that USB stick encrypted?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 20, 2014 4:23:48 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, April 20, 2014 2:39:40 PM UTC-7, Mayayana wrote:

| Unfortunately, file recovery programs seem to all deal with undeleting

| DELETED files, and in this case nothing has been deleted. I expect the

| problem is a corrupted file allocation table because every computer I

| put the USB drive in tells me the drive has not been formatted,

Any partitioning program should be able to recover

corrupted or deleted partitions, which then makes

the files available. I'm not sure about USB sticks, though.

I have one stick that's not seen at all in one particular

Win7 laptop. I have no idea why. I don't trust them with

anything other than moving files from one place to another.

Just wondering here... Is that USB stick encrypted?

Try this: http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-...ppy-linux.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I have one stick that's not seen at all in one particular
| Win7 laptop. I have no idea why. I don't trust them with
| anything other than moving files from one place to another.
|
| Just wondering here... Is that USB stick encrypted?

No. It's a Sandisk "Cruzer". I have two. One has a
white slide and the other has red. That's the only
difference I know of. The Win7 laptop sees all sticks
but the red Cruzer. All other machines I've used the
red Cruzer in see it fine. I tried to rule out different
variables (OS, specific USB plug, etc) but never found
an explanation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2014 4:48 PM, Oren wrote:

Can you see the patrician under_My Computer_?

Secular or non-secular?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" writes:

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message

"dadiOH" writes:

Finally, hardware failure (other than the drive) might
be the problem; specifically, the power supply unit.

I don't think the machine will turn on at all for most
power supply issues.

I suppose it depends upon exactly what the issue is but I'm here to tell you
that some will mimic a failed/failing drive.

Yes, I think that's possible.
The power supply puts out multiple voltages.
Only one voltage could be effected and I suppose that
could be the voltage the drive needs.
Wikipedia says the 12v output was for disk drive motors.

I was really guessing when I said "most power supply issues".
I really don't have details on how power supplies normally fail.
Without data, it's still my best guess.

A few years back I had a drive that gave me fits...sometimes good, sometimes
not readable. I tried everything I could think of, finally tried a
different PSU. Bingo, drive worked perfectly.

Could have been intermittent failure of 12v part of PSU (I guess).

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/19/2014 04:48 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Can you see the patrician under _My Computer_?

I can't give a recommendation for a recovery program. When I use
freeware I get it from downloads.cnet.com. You get mixed reviews.

This is one. I've not used it but it will give a starting place to dig
around under system utilities.

http://download.cnet.com/Pandora-Recovery/3000-2094_4-10694796.html

Thanks for what could be the most interesting typo I've seen in awhile
(patrician).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2014 7:35 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:
"dadiOH" writes:

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message

"dadiOH" writes:

[...]

The USB ports use 5 volts DC. There are other odd voltages for different
CPU's but the power supply will put out +12v -12v +5v -5 and the one I'm
holding right now puts out +3.3v at 20.0 amps. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 21:15:34 -0500, sam E
wrote:

Thanks for what could be the most interesting typo I've seen in awhile
(patrician).

Stick around Sam. It won't be the last time I make a typo
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2014 4:10 PM, nestork wrote:

I have some files I want to keep on a 4 GB USB drive. Just yesterday
I put that USB drive into my computer and instead of opening the
drive, I got a message saying "The drive is not formatted. Do you
want to format it now?"

Obviously, I clicked on the "No" option because formatting it would
make things worse.

The files are undoubtedly all still there, but perhaps the partition
information was corrupted or something like that.

Does anyone know of any good file recovery freeware that would allow
me to recover all the files on this USB drive?

There is some paid digital recovery software available at no cost today
4-21-14 at Give Away Of The Day. ^_^

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/easy...-recovery-3-0/

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Formatting to fix a none mechanical damaged or deleting a PARTICIAN

the files can be recovered.

note for future reference: capitalization does not assure spelling accuracy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:08:58 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
Formatting to fix a none mechanical damaged or deleting a PARTICIAN

the files can be recovered.

note for future reference: capitalization does not assure spelling accuracy.

You fellers are smart. Got me again
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2014 01:08 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
Formatting to fix a none mechanical damaged or deleting a PARTICIAN

the files can be recovered.

note for future reference: capitalization does not assure spelling accuracy.

However, it IS a big improvement over patrician.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Formatting to fix a none mechanical damaged or deleting a PARTICIAN
the files can be recovered.

note for future reference: capitalization does not assure spelling accuracy.

However, it IS a big improvement over patrician.

Perfect ones = 4
HS drop out = 0

I do plan to get a GED diploma. Just haven't made the plan an exact
goal, yet.

I'm busy.
--
I like Guns and Titties
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/22/2014 09:11 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

[snip]

Formatting (Low-Level): Creating sectors and sector metadata on
each track of each cylinder on the media
(usually done by the manufacturer, but can
also be done by end-user to change the sector
size to an unusual value (180 bytes, for
example for legacy system compatability,
or 4096 for big data performance)).

My first hard disk (30MB Seagate with separate {not IDE} RLL controller
card, in 1990) can with a low-level format program that had to be used
before doing anything else. This drive / controller was incompatible
with "386 protected mode".

Low-level formatting can NOT be done by the user on most (if not all)
modern hard drives. There are programs people SAY do that, but they
really just write data (0?) to existing sectors.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"I went to a planet where the dominant lifeform had no bilateral
symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2014 01:56 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

I do plan to get a GED diploma. Just haven't made the plan an exact
goal, yet.

It's always nice to know what you're saying. You know what the "D" in
"GED" is?

I'm busy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd writes:
On 04/22/2014 09:11 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

[snip]

Formatting (Low-Level): Creating sectors and sector metadata on
each track of each cylinder on the media
(usually done by the manufacturer, but can
also be done by end-user to change the sector
size to an unusual value (180 bytes, for
example for legacy system compatability,
or 4096 for big data performance)).

My first hard disk (30MB Seagate with separate {not IDE} RLL controller
card, in 1990) can with a low-level format program that had to be used
before doing anything else. This drive / controller was incompatible
with "386 protected mode".

Low-level formatting can NOT be done by the user on most (if not all)
modern hard drives. There are programs people SAY do that, but they
really just write data (0?) to existing sectors.

For SATA drives, it is more difficult. For SCSI drives, dead simple.

Note that the drive electronics are identical in both, just the controller
interface logic is different. Note also that the grade of drive matters,
a low-end consumer drive may not provide the capability to resector the drive.

I've reformatted both SCSI and SATA to different sector sizes, but in the SATA case used
a manufacturer provided utility not available to the general public to
generate 100 byte sectors for a legacy system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:19:45 -0500, sam E
wrote:

On 04/21/2014 01:56 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

I do plan to get a GED diploma. Just haven't made the plan an exact
goal, yet.

It's always nice to know what you're saying. You know what the "D" in
"GED" is?

I'm busy.

Yes. Like I said I'm busy. Here is your chance to teach the world what
the "D" means. I await you wisdom. Share with us.
Senior Member

OK, I've found that several data recovery programs have found and recovered some of the files on my USB drive. The problem is that they're all "demo" and "trial" versions of programs, and are limited in how much they will recover. One of them was limited to 64 kilobytes, which is nothing more than a large text file or a single .JPG image.

And, those that advertise themselves as "free" want to change my home page and default search engine and put up a useless toolbar on my screen which is a pain in the butt.

Does anyone know of any good computer Q&A forums on the internet where I could ask some computer geeks if there are any good freeware data recovery programs available for download? I find that the programs that work best crop up when I Google "digital media data recovery".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/29/2014 2:24 PM, nestork wrote:
OK, I've found that several data recovery programs have found and
recovered some of the files on my USB drive. The problem is that
they're all "demo" and "trial" versions of programs, and are limited
in how much they will recover. One of them was limited to 64
kilobytes, which is nothing more than a large text file or a single
.JPG image.

And, those that advertise themselves as "free" want to change my
home page and default search engine and put up a useless toolbar on
my screen which is a pain in the butt.

Does anyone know of any good computer Q&A forums on the internet
where I could ask some computer geeks if there are any good freeware
data recovery programs available for download? I find that the
programs that work best crop up when I Google "digital media data
recovery".

Give File Hippo a try for freeware. There are all sorts of free software
mixed in with the shareware and payware. ^_^

http://filehippo.com/download_recuva/

Keep an eye on a couple of daily commercial giveaway sites that I get a
lot of software from:

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

http://giveaway.glarysoft.com/

I've downloaded a lot of payware from those two sites and a lot of
really good file recovery software shows up on a regular basis. ^_^

TDD