Chris

Default I am looking for 2D or 3D, freeware or low cost woodworking cad software?

I am looking for 2D or 3D, freeware or low cost woodworking cad
software so I can design my own wooden toys, clocks, cabinet,
furniture, kichen tables and more at a beginner level?

Thanks,

Dan White

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for 2D or 3D, freeware or low cost woodworking cad
software so I can design my own wooden toys, clocks, cabinet,
furniture, kichen tables and more at a beginner level?

Thanks,

Look into QuickCAD. I paid maybe $80 for this a few years ago...don't know
what it goes for now. It can do a lot of stuff but there is some learning
curve. You can do basic stuff pretty easily though.

dwhite

Bob

"Sam the Cat" wrote in message
designcad http://www.imsisoft.com/faminfo.asp?fam=2

Very good value for money and like all CAD packages - DIFFICULT TO LEARN. I
went through two 15 day trial periods with it and threw in the towel and I
consider myself exceptionally strong in computer applications.

Bob

John Doe

"Dan White" wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message

I am looking for 2D or 3D, freeware or low cost woodworking cad
software so I can design my own wooden toys, clocks, cabinet,
furniture, kichen tables and more at a beginner level?

Look into QuickCAD. I paid maybe $80 for this a few years
ago...don't know what it goes for now. It can do a lot of stuff
but there is some learning curve. You can do basic stuff pretty
easily though.

Can your QuickCAD dimension an arc? I don't mean degrees, I mean
distance along a curved line. Thanks in advance.
John U

I you can wait to find someone with a copy to sell (try ebay), I would
give a recommendation to an early version of a product from Autodesk
called AutoSketch.
I have used version 2.1 for over 8 years and love it. I have purchased
a later version (6.0??) but it was too powerful and difficult to learn
so I only use it to save one of my drawing in a .dxf format to email
to someone. I bougth my copy used for about $20.00

Version 2.1 of Autosketch has everything a basic woodworker needs. (if
2D is OK.)
It has a couple of basic templates for starting drawings (one is for a
shop project)
It has very basic tool bars for drawing, editing, measuring, viewing,
etc.
The basic drawings can easily be set up to draw in inches, feet and
inches, metric, etc.
I has most of the "special" tools that a beginning CAD user can
comprehend and use without a learning curve that takes more time than
it saves (snap, trim, extend, curves/radius's, layers, group, break,
etc).
I even used it at an engineering company I used to work for because I
could train the office assistants/typists to make site drawings of
properties the engineers were evaluating (it only took an hour or two
to get them up to speed).
Charlie Self

skimhoff posts:

http://tinyurl.com/3peee

google accounts? WTF?

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx
Lawrence L'Hote

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for 2D or 3D, freeware or low cost woodworking cad
software

I found this list somewhere. Maybe it will help.

Drafting Softwa
http://www.dcad.com (Free Demo - Pay) - DeltaCAD

http://www.engsw.com (Free Demo - Pay) - PowerCADD

http://www.cadstd.com (Free Demo - Pay) - CADstd

http://www.ilexsoft.com (Free Demo - Pay) - HighDesign

http://www.microspot.com/products/macdraft.htm (Free Demo - Pay) - MacDraft

http://www.adx-online.com/realcadd/realcadd.htm (Free Demo - Pay) - RealCADD

http://guide.apple.com/uscategories/3d.lasso (Click on the CAD radio button)

http://www.imsisoft.com (Several to choose from)

http://www.idecad.com (Free Demo - Pay) - ideCAD

http://www.emachineshop.com (Free) - emachineshop

http://www.ransen.com/Dexterpen/Default.htm (Free Demo - Pay) - Dexterpen

http://www.corusconstruction.com/page_8974.htm (Free) - Corus Construction
Centre

http://www.ashlar.com (Pay) - Ashlar-Vellum

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/it/icm/...e=en& tab=try
(Pay) ProDesktop 3D

http://ppo.intergraph.com/SmartSketch (Free) SmartSketch

http://justcad.com/ (Free) - JustCAD

http://www.cadstd.com/ (Free and Pay) CADSTD

http://www.freecad.com/ (Free) - FreeCAD

Phil

You can pickup an older version of turbocad cheap. I started with their
learning edition which was 2d and free. Got pretty proficient with it,
just bought version 8 which is also 3d for $20 off the web. The current
version is 10.

Phil.

Chris wrote:

I am looking for 2D or 3D, freeware or low cost woodworking cad
software so I can design my own wooden toys, clocks, cabinet,
furniture, kichen tables and more at a beginner level?

Thanks,

Korny

CADstd is easy to learn and they have a freeware version. It is missing
a few features, but they can be worked around.
Need assistance, e-mail me

WoodchuckCanuck

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/cadfiles

tillius

Last time I looked, Rhino Academic version including Flamingo was about
$199.00.
If you sign up for local community college woodworking classes, you may
be able to get a student ID and qualify for the academic price.

An example of what you can do with Rhino and Flamingo can be found at
http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez...0&WhatsNew=Yes

That took me about an hour to do. It's not hard and the Rhino news
groups provide LOTS of help for the beginners.

tillius

Actually, the URL for the picture is:

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez... ByArtist=Yes
Sorry about that.

Lawrence L'Hote

"tillius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, the URL for the picture is:

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez... ByArtist=Yes
Sorry about that.

Went there and the filter looks interesting. An error message appeared
above the rendering(see below) but I couldn't find the nudity in your
picture :

Query was: SELECT galleryid FROM gallery LEFT JOIN gallerysection ON
gallery.sectionid = gallerysection.sectionid WHERE author = 'tillius' AND
nudity='N' ORDER BY uploadedon DESC LIMIT 0, ???

tillius

Nudity = 'N' means no nudity.

I'm going to try that filter, by bubbling the DC output air up through
water with various bubble breaking screens in the tank. I'm not really
sure how to test it's effectiveness, except by how dirty the water gets
and by putting an additional 0.5 micron filter on the tank exhaust and
see how fast it gets dirty.

Lawrence L'Hote

"tillius" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nudity = 'N' means no nudity.

I'm going to try that filter, by bubbling the DC output air up through
water with various bubble breaking screens in the tank. I'm not really
sure how to test it's effectiveness, except by how dirty the water gets
and by putting an additional 0.5 micron filter on the tank exhaust and
see how fast it gets dirty.

Some canister vacuum systems for home use water as you may .know. I'm not
sure, but you may need to add a surfactant and anti-foaming agent to the
reservoir. I can just imagine the mess out the top if all that wood dust
accumulates on the water surface and the system starts up.

Larry

Mark & Juanita

On 30 Dec 2004 08:06:49 -0800, "tillius" wrote:

Nudity = 'N' means no nudity.

I'm going to try that filter, by bubbling the DC output air up through
water with various bubble breaking screens in the tank. I'm not really
sure how to test it's effectiveness, except by how dirty the water gets
and by putting an additional 0.5 micron filter on the tank exhaust and
see how fast it gets dirty.

You may also want to check what that's going to do for your system
pressure. Seems that having to force the air through the water might put
quite a load on the system resulting in a serious drop in both static
pressure and air velocity. But then again, I'm only an EE sizing up a
hydraulic engineering problem.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM