Posted to alt.home.repair

Default File recovery freeware

On 4/20/2014 7:35 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:
"dadiOH" writes:

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message

"dadiOH" writes:

Finally, hardware failure (other than the drive) might
be the problem; specifically, the power supply unit.

I don't think the machine will turn on at all for most
power supply issues.

I suppose it depends upon exactly what the issue is but I'm here to tell you
that some will mimic a failed/failing drive.

Yes, I think that's possible.
The power supply puts out multiple voltages.
Only one voltage could be effected and I suppose that
could be the voltage the drive needs.
Wikipedia says the 12v output was for disk drive motors.

I was really guessing when I said "most power supply issues".
I really don't have details on how power supplies normally fail.
Without data, it's still my best guess.

A few years back I had a drive that gave me fits...sometimes good, sometimes
not readable. I tried everything I could think of, finally tried a
different PSU. Bingo, drive worked perfectly.

Could have been intermittent failure of 12v part of PSU (I guess).

The USB ports use 5 volts DC. There are other odd voltages for different
CPU's but the power supply will put out +12v -12v +5v -5 and the one I'm
holding right now puts out +3.3v at 20.0 amps. ^_^

TDD