Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan

Default Isometric freeware simple cad package? What would you use?

Been given a plumbing task, to produce an entire plumbing layout of a house,
but showing only the plumbing.

I though there must be some sometric freeware simple cad package? What would
you use? I've just tried Vector Engineer Quicktools but I'm not quite
"getting" it!

Some other ones I found...but which to download?!?

Brl CAD http://ftp.arl.mil/brlcad
Q CAD www.qcad.org/index.php3
FreeCAD www.askoh.com/freecad
Varkon CAD www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/help/varkon/man.htm
Vector Engineer
http://freeware.filehungry.com/engli...vectorengineer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Jonathan wrote:
Been given a plumbing task, to produce an entire plumbing layout of a
house, but showing only the plumbing.

It's all very well using a cad package to implement a plumbing layout into
a design, but problems arise when it comes to the situation itself...
snags,joist,underfloor, ect.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:39:11 GMT The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote :
It's all very well using a cad package to implement a plumbing
layout into a design, but problems arise when it comes to the
situation itself... snags,joist,underfloor, ect.

Carry on like this and you'll never make an architect g

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:39:11 GMT The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote :
It's all very well using a cad package to implement a plumbing
layout into a design, but problems arise when it comes to the
situation itself... snags,joist,underfloor, ect.

Carry on like this and you'll never make an architect g

If i'm constipated I can always work it out with a pencil. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bart

Jonathan wrote:
Been given a plumbing task, to produce an entire plumbing layout of a house,
but showing only the plumbing.

I though there must be some sometric freeware simple cad package? What would
you use? I've just tried Vector Engineer Quicktools but I'm not quite
"getting" it!

Some other ones I found...but which to download?!?

Brl CAD http://ftp.arl.mil/brlcad
Q CAD www.qcad.org/index.php3
FreeCAD www.askoh.com/freecad
Varkon CAD www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/help/varkon/man.htm
Vector Engineer
http://freeware.filehungry.com/engli...vectorengineer

You probably need a 2D program that can draw in isometric, ie. on an
isometric grid or simply being able to lock lines to 30 degree
directions.

Brl CAD is a solid modelling package, so is FreeCAD it seems. These
allow you to build a model of your house that can be viewed from
different directions. You'd need to draw the pipework as actual tubes.
Varkon is 2D/3D but the links seem broken.

From your list QCAD is the best bet, but doesn't seem to be free (not

expensive though). There was also TurboCAD from the high street. Try
asking in alt.cad or alt.cad.autocad.

From my experience of this, I would recommend a pencil, paper, and a

drawing board.

Bart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

try this - it's very good..

www.progecad.com

you can draw in 'isometric' if you wish and use layers to display only
those features/services you want to see (layer for plumbing. layer for
electrics, etc.)

not an easy task though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
Been given a plumbing task, to produce an entire plumbing layout of a house,
but showing only the plumbing.

I though there must be some sometric freeware simple cad package? What would
you use? I've just tried Vector Engineer Quicktools but I'm not quite
"getting" it!

Some other ones I found...but which to download?!?

Brl CAD http://ftp.arl.mil/brlcad
Q CAD www.qcad.org/index.php3
FreeCAD www.askoh.com/freecad
Varkon CAD www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/help/varkon/man.htm
Vector Engineer
http://freeware.filehungry.com/engli...vectorengineer

I've just used vector engineer to draw plans for an extension.
I found it pretty good, and I tried a whole host of others.
I hate the way others give you a "template", like you are drawing on a
piece of paper.
I want to draw the thing with real dimensions, then decide how I want
it to scale/map to paper.
I think it does isometric, but I've not used this.
I bought the protools version to get the cross-hatching functions.
All the best,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

It's all very well using a cad package to implement a plumbing layout
into a design, but problems arise when it comes to the situation
itself... snags,joist,underfloor, ect.

Never happens if you use a pencil and the back of an envelope.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , david lang
writes
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

It's all very well using a cad package to implement a plumbing layout
into a design, but problems arise when it comes to the situation
itself... snags,joist,underfloor, ect.

Never happens if you use a pencil and the back of an envelope.

When I originally did my central heating, I didn't **** about with CAD
packages. I identified where I needed rads, worked out the runs in my
head, bought the hardware and got on with it

You really don't need a CAD package to lay out a CH system, you need it
to make pretty pictures of what may or may not be what you'll end up
with

The question is ... does the OP want pretty pictures or a CH system ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan

"raden" wrote in message

You really don't need a CAD package to lay out a CH system, you need it to
make pretty pictures of what may or may not be what you'll end up with

The question is ... does the OP want pretty pictures or a CH system ?

He needs a multi-layered diagram where each system can be shown or hidden,
in order to pass a complex assignment.

However, in the end, I did it by hand on Isometric paper, then scanned it
into an aged copy of Paint Shop Pro, and made 4 vector layers of it.
Used the scan as the background and traced it through.
Which worked a treat. Thanks for the other suggestions, ProgeCAD looked
good, but virtually everything you try and do pops a box up saying "this is
available in the Pro version".