Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running and outside antenna and Cable internet

I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an outside antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question I have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 20, 2014 12:54:58 AM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 04/19/2014 10:51 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:

I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an

outside antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question I

have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax

cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on

the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

Hi.

You can't mix two signals from the air and cable. You connect antenna

coax to TV antenna connector.

If it was just mixing signals on different frequencies, you might be

able to do it with the appropriate filters. However there is the

upstream (cable modem TO cable company) channel to consider. I expect

it'd be easier to put in a new cable for the modem, and use the existing

ones just for TV.

Hi,

Cable carries FM radio, TV channels upto couple hundred channels

including HD, Voip phones. You think there is brick type filter which

can be used to share the coax? I think not.

And so far, no one has commented that absent some one-way blocking
device, you now have an antenna connected to the cable system,
radiating it's signal into the air. There are regulations that cover
how much leakage cable systems are allowed, cable systems are
designed and maintained to minimize any such signal being emitted,
etc. Hook up an antenna to you cable line and you'll be a small
transmitter.