DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Running and outside antenna and Cable internet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/369970-running-outside-antenna-cable-internet.html)

JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com April 19th 14 03:48 PM

Running and outside antenna and Cable internet

I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an outside antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question I have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

Tony Hwang April 19th 14 04:51 PM

wrote:
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an outside antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question I have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

Hi.
You can't mix two signals from the air and cable. You connect antenna
coax to TV antenna connector.

Bob F April 19th 14 05:12 PM

wrote:
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an
outside antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question
I have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax
cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on
the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

You will have to seperate the cable internet from any cables used for antenna
signals.

Mark Lloyd[_11_] April 19th 14 05:32 PM

On 04/19/2014 10:51 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an
outside antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question I
have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax
cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on
the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

Hi.
You can't mix two signals from the air and cable. You connect antenna
coax to TV antenna connector.

If it was just mixing signals on different frequencies, you might be
able to do it with the appropriate filters. However there is the
upstream (cable modem TO cable company) channel to consider. I expect
it'd be easier to put in a new cable for the modem, and use the existing
ones just for TV.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"No man ever got an answer to prayer that he could show to another
person." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other
Essays_]

Tony Hwang April 20th 14 05:54 AM

wrote:
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my cable TV and using an
outside antenna and the cable Internet for television. The question I
have is when I put up an antenna can i just plug it into the coax
cable coming into the house? I have my cable internet coming in on
the same cable. Is this an issue or will it work.

Hi.
You can't mix two signals from the air and cable. You connect antenna
coax to TV antenna connector.

If it was just mixing signals on different frequencies, you might be
able to do it with the appropriate filters. However there is the
upstream (cable modem TO cable company) channel to consider. I expect
it'd be easier to put in a new cable for the modem, and use the existing
ones just for TV.

Hi,
Cable carries FM radio, TV channels upto couple hundred channels
including HD, Voip phones. You think there is brick type filter which
can be used to share the coax? I think not.

trader_4 April 20th 14 01:08 PM

wrote:

[...]

And so far, no one has commented that absent some one-way blocking
device, you now have an antenna connected to the cable system,
radiating it's signal into the air. There are regulations that cover
how much leakage cable systems are allowed, cable systems are
designed and maintained to minimize any such signal being emitted,
etc. Hook up an antenna to you cable line and you'll be a small
transmitter.