Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Problem With Coaxial Cable For FM Antenna

I just bought a JVC receiver (model RX-5060B) and I have run into a
problem with the coaxial cable (RG-59) that I have for connecting the FM
antenna to the FM antenna port on the receiver. (I was using this cable
with the old receiver.)

The cable that I have is of type RG-59. The connector (type F) is too
small to slide on the antenna port located in the rear side of the
receiver. I understand that nowadays coaxial cable is of type RG-6 and
that might explain why I cannot plug my coaxial cable into the port of
the receiver as I was told that the RG-6 connector is bigger than the RG-59.

I don't think that buying an RG-6 coaxial cable will solve my problem
because then the connector on one end of the cable would not screw into
the plug on the wall. (The house I live in is rather old and has an
old-style wall plug for coaxial cable.)

Is there some sort of RG-59 to RG-6 adapter that I can purchase? I am
completely a novice with this kind of things and I sure need some help.

Thanks.
--
tb
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Tiziano wrote:
[...]

That's not the problem. An F connector is an F connector -- they
don't vary according to the size of the cable to which they're
attached. Perhaps the receiver doesn't have an F connector for
input. The manual should say.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CJT CJT is offline

CJT wrote:

Tiziano wrote:

[...]

I can't see it well enough on the picture I was able to find to say what
sort of connector that is, but it doesn't look like an F connector. It
looks more like a BNC.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks for your reply.
The instructions that came with the receiver only say to "connect a 75
ohm coaxial cable (with the standard type connector)."

I guess an F connector is no longer standard for coaxial cables...
--
tb

on 12/25/2007 10:58 PM CJT wrote the following:
CJT wrote:

Tiziano wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Tiziano wrote:
The instructions that came with the receiver only say to "connect a 75
ohm coaxial cable (with the standard type connector)."

I guess an F connector is no longer standard for coaxial cables...

It never has been the standard for FM radios - only satellite stuff. it
has 'graduated' to others, though.

FM radio 'standard' if there ever was one was Belling Lee for 75 ohm
unbalanced and either screws or those strange balanced plugs for 300 ohm
twin ribbon balanced feeder.

In the UK F-type started appearing on radio tuners for DAB Band III and
some use it for Band I FM too now.

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tiziano wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
The instructions that came with the receiver only say to "connect a 75
ohm coaxial cable (with the standard type connector)."

I guess an F connector is no longer standard for coaxial cables...

I looked at the PDF manual from the JVC website. The connector looks
like the standard antenna connector we use in the UK for terrestrial TV
and FM. I am not sure what its proper name is. However, I believe this
adapter is what you need to connect your cable to the receiver.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=330198758413

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim Phipps wrote:

I looked at the PDF manual from the JVC website. The connector looks
like the standard antenna connector we use in the UK for terrestrial TV
and FM. I am not sure what its proper name is. However, I believe this
adapter is what you need to connect your cable to the receiver.

I don't know the proper name either, but it is a DIN standard connector.

The people who operated "220" shops in New York in the 1980's called it a
"PAL" connector because it was used by PAL TV sets and the name has
stuck. When people refer to them as PAL connectors, I refer to "F"
connectors as "NTSC" connectors when answering them. :-)

Universal Radio sells them and at one time Radio Shack sold adaptors
to F connectors.

I don't know where the original poster is, but radios with those
connectors are not intended to be sold in the U.S. They may have a
different voltage power supply, different tuning steps and a different
pre-emphasis to fit European standards.

If the radio was destined for Europe, it will have 9kHz tuning steps instead
of 10 on AM (which may be adjustable), and 100kHz tuning steps on FM instead
of 200kHz on odd multiples, which should not be a problem.

It will also have the European pre-emphasis standard which may make U.S.
FM broadcasts seem slightly "dull". (lacking high frequency response).

If you have a friend/relative coming to Israel in the near future, you
can get the plugs (note that there are male and female) and adaptors to
"F" connectors in any Home Center. I expect you can get them in similar
stores throught the U.K. and Europe too.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tiziano wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
The instructions that came with the receiver only say to "connect a 75
ohm coaxial cable (with the standard type connector)."

I guess an F connector is no longer standard for coaxial cables...

With no hint where in the world you're located, this may or may not be
helpful but, as Dave Plowman noted, the connector may be a Belling-Lee
style. In the US, Radio Shack carries adapters for F to Belling-Lee
under parts 278-261 and 278-265, depending on the gender required.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Tim Phipps wrote:

I looked at the PDF manual from the JVC website. The connector looks
like the standard antenna connector we use in the UK for terrestrial
TV and FM. I am not sure what its proper name is. However, I
believe this adapter is what you need to connect your cable to the
receiver.

I don't know the proper name either, but it is a DIN standard connector.

It pre-dates DIN standards for this sort of thing.

The people who operated "220" shops in New York in the 1980's called it a
"PAL" connector because it was used by PAL TV sets and the name has
stuck. When people refer to them as PAL connectors, I refer to "F"
connectors as "NTSC" connectors when answering them. :-)

It long pre-dates PAL too.

Universal Radio sells them and at one time Radio Shack sold adaptors
to F connectors.

It's correct name is a Belling Lee after the maker (rather like an RCA
plug is so named in the US) and here's how they are fitted:-

http://www.megalithia.com/elect/bellinglee/index.html

I don't know where the original poster is, but radios with those
connectors are not intended to be sold in the U.S. They may have a
different voltage power supply, different tuning steps and a different
pre-emphasis to fit European standards.

If the radio was destined for Europe, it will have 9kHz tuning steps
instead of 10 on AM (which may be adjustable), and 100kHz tuning steps
on FM instead of 200kHz on odd multiples, which should not be a problem.

It will also have the European pre-emphasis standard which may make U.S.
FM broadcasts seem slightly "dull". (lacking high frequency response).

Some FM tuners sold in the UK are switchable to the US standards.

If you have a friend/relative coming to Israel in the near future, you
can get the plugs (note that there are male and female) and adaptors to
"F" connectors in any Home Center. I expect you can get them in similar
stores throught the U.K. and Europe too.

The most common Belling Lee connector is a line plug. There is a female
version used as an output from VHS recorders etc for daisy chaining the
aerial.

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I live in the USA.
Today I went to Fry's Electronics and they sold me what they call a
Quick Push-On "F" Connector. On the back of the package it states:

To convert standard screw-on "F" connectors
into quick push-on F connectors.

It seems to work just fine. I had never heard of Quick Push-On "F"
Connectors before...
Thanks everybody for your suggestions.
--
tb

on 12/26/2007 10:01 AM Rich Webb wrote the following:
Tiziano wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
The instructions that came with the receiver only say to "connect a 75
ohm coaxial cable (with the standard type connector)."

I guess an F connector is no longer standard for coaxial cables...

With no hint where in the world you're located, this may or may not be
helpful but, as Dave Plowman noted, the connector may be a Belling-Lee
style. In the US, Radio Shack carries adapters for F to Belling-Lee
under parts 278-261 and 278-265, depending on the gender required.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tiziano" wrote in message
[...]

Thats a PAL connector, F type will never fit. Go to Radio shack for an
adapter. And a pox on JVC for making us do so. If its sold in the USA, it
should have common USA style connections! Dammit!
I just bought the JVC RX-D302B. Same connector.

HTH!
Deke

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tiziano wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
The instructions that came with the receiver only say to "connect a 75
ohm coaxial cable (with the standard type connector)."

I guess an F connector is no longer standard for coaxial cables...

With no hint where in the world you're located, this may or may not be
helpful but, as Dave Plowman noted, the connector may be a Belling-Lee
style. In the US, Radio Shack carries adapters for F to Belling-Lee under
parts 278-261 and 278-265, depending on the gender required.

Well the push on F-Connector is the same as a standard F-Connector with the
exception that it doesn't have threads. It is just designed to make it
easier to connect and disconnect F-Connectors. They are interchangeable with
standard F-Connectors, it is not a different type of connector. I'm guessing
that the threads got buggered up and the standard connector couldn't thread
on, where as the slide on one could.

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Deke wrote:
Thats a PAL connector, F type will never fit. Go to Radio shack for an
adapter. And a pox on JVC for making us do so. If its sold in the USA, it
should have common USA style connections! Dammit!
I just bought the JVC RX-D302B. Same connector.

I have found the following with those connectors in Canada:
- JVC CD Minisystem (FS-H35)
- RCA DVD Home Theater Receiver (RTDVD1)
- Cheapo Curits 5" B/W TV Set (This at least came with an adapter to
300ohm screw terminals).

All of this is North American (Radios are 10kHZ AM spacing, odd FM
frequencies, TV is 60Hz with VHFL, VHFH and UHF bands with North
American channel numbers).

Push on F connectors (available at the Dollar Store) seem to mate well.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This looks like it would work-- http://tinyurl.com/32knb8

from 110220volts.com